PDA

View Full Version : OK was it a choke or what?

Ona
21st June 2004, 01:56 PM
Even with two to go and i wasnt watching it :x :evil:

:smt076DAMN:smt076

So did lefty pull a Novotna or was some bad luck involved at 17 ?

McMw
21st June 2004, 02:02 PM
well...for one, it was a bad tee shot (for me)...
then again, Goosen also did hit it into the bunker, and hit the better shot out...

Lefty lefty his 5 footer on the wrong side of the hole...
but it was an incredible stretch of holes...had the putt on 14 drop, he would have played the last 4 holes prior to 17 in 4under!!!

I just don't know wat they were thinking on the 17th tee...

Onewood
21st June 2004, 02:06 PM
Could have been a little bit of nerves...

He just hit the first put to hard.....half an ounce to hard :roll:

I think having Ernie instead of Phil in the last group helped Goosen....with all the crowd support Phil had.....specialy when he birdied 3 out of 4 holes on the way home :shock: Goosen copped all the noise from a distance :P

Ona
21st June 2004, 02:10 PM
3 putt then.. ouch :(

Jarro
21st June 2004, 03:39 PM
Lefty will have nightmares about that 17th green :(

McMw
21st June 2004, 04:34 PM
if it was anything - it was the missed par putt on the 18th in R3 that might have screwed it up for him - that was a shorter and easier putt than the 2nd on 17...

gazgolf1
21st June 2004, 05:31 PM
I think Mickelsons dumb new putting routine did'nt help him with that 3- jab. :?
I don't see how making your practice stroke away from the intended line is going to help and the way he moves into putt after the practice looks really iffy.In fact when he missed that 1st putt on 17 his feet were closed to the target line.Check out the replay.

Jono
21st June 2004, 06:38 PM
I think Mickelsons dumb new putting routine did'nt help him with that 3- jab. :?
I don't see how making your practice stroke away from the intended line is going to help and the way he moves into putt after the practice looks really iffy.In fact when he missed that 1st putt on 17 his feet were closed to the target line.Check out the replay.

I don't get his routine either. Not only practising his stroke far away from his ball, but also in a different direction. I'm sure we'll read about his new routine in the next issue of Golf Digest. :wink:

nick
21st June 2004, 06:52 PM
Did anyone else realise that Ernie Els shot 80 today?

Nick

McMw
21st June 2004, 09:11 PM
how quickly things are forgetten!!!

Lefty had the same pre-shot routine for all his putts since the start of the year...

he did it well at the Masters, and there was nothing wrong when those birdie putts went in this morning... :roll:

it's prob something he's worked on with Pelz - so who am I to argue???

as for Els...he and singh were never going to win (IMO) - coz in the back of the mind, there were thinking of only the one thing - GETTING WORLD NO1...

Instead of Els, why not focus on Maggart...another 3rd placing in the US Open, and 5 birdies in the final round, with his usual mix of blow-up holes!!!

gazgolf1
22nd June 2004, 03:46 AM
how quickly things are forgetten!!!

Lefty had the same pre-shot routine for all his putts since the start of the year...

he did it well at the Masters, and there was nothing wrong when those birdie putts went in this morning... :roll:

Yeah,but what I'm saying is his routine failed him on the 17th and cost him a chance to win the tournament.
I've got no doubt in my mind that his alignment was wrong on that first putt.

drunken
22nd June 2004, 04:47 PM
he just hit that first putt on 17 way too hard for the speed the greens were at.

By the way isn't amazing how ridiculous greens are alright in a US Open, but weren't alright in a certain Australian tournament

wavemaker
22nd June 2004, 06:26 PM
did anyone else read that a spectator had made a comment about his mother dieing and that he appeared to be unsettled after that?

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 08:42 AM
Mickelson should have made the second putt on 17. That had to be a bit of a choke. He would have seen the line after missing the first putt.

McMw
23rd June 2004, 04:44 PM
even if he made that putt for bogey - he still would have lost...

AndyP
24th June 2004, 05:27 PM
even if he made that putt for bogey - he still would have lost...
Not necessarily. The final score tells you that. But if Mickelson had made that bogey putt, it would have applied more pressue on Goosen for his last two holes, as he would have only had a one shot buffer.

McMw
24th June 2004, 09:04 PM
if the tables were turned the other way around, yeah...Lefty would have choked on the final 2 hole...

but not the Goose man... :wink:

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks for clearing up what happened down the stretch...... :?

I had a very unfortunate incident....

I was staying at my parents during the US Open, and had to take my mother to work, so I said to my father "please slip a tape in the VCR and record the last couple of holes"....

During the drive the news came on - I switched it off so that I didn't hear the result - then I got back to the folks' place and switched off the TV while I got ready to watch the tape - while I was doing this, Matt rang and said "What did you think" at which point I screamed "Nooo! Don't tell me!" and hung up on him....

I turned on the tape.... and Bert Newton stared back at me..... :shock: Poor old Dad, he taped Channel 10 by accident.... :roll: :lol: So I was sitting there with no idea what had happened - and I had to ring Matt to find out the result..... :evil:

Oh dear.... better stay home to watch the next Major.....

jaster
25th June 2004, 07:51 PM
Goosen won this event with some great play down the stretch, Phil didn't choke this event and to think so is nuts :roll: Hardest greens ever played on in recent history tells us that a 3 putt was human and he was just unlucky it came on the 17th...if he had of done this on the 12th and then birdied 3 out of 4 holes everyone would have said how great he did 8)

McMw
25th June 2004, 09:27 PM
c'mon jaster.... 8)

Lefty had a brain fart on the 18th R3 and the 17th R4...there's no other way...

great that he made those birdies - that one that he didn't get - should have gone in...

AndyP
26th June 2004, 07:33 AM
I turned on the tape.... and Bert Newton stared back at me.....
So what was Bert up to? Was Moira flogging off anything good? Or was Belvedere doing some taste testing? :roll:

Jaster, I think Phil should have got his second putt on the 17th. You are always going to stick up for Lefty anyway. :wink:

jaster
26th June 2004, 09:24 AM
Mondays experts :roll:

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 10:26 AM
So what was Bert up to? Was Moira flogging off anything good? Or was Belvedere doing some taste testing?

I was too dismayed to take much notice.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Unfortunately, it means I don't have a real good idea on what happened, but from everything that I have been told, I don't think it was a choke so much as tremendously difficult greens..... :shock: And to think that we stopped an Aus Open when the greens were in a similar state.... hmmmm :roll: