PDA

View Full Version : The virtues of 'warming up'?

markTHEblake
17th January 2013, 12:44 AM
Ever since I was a kid I believed that I couldn't play golf without hitting balls first to warm up properly, probably because the muscles and joints have always been so stiff. However last few years or so, I am finding that the first few shots in my warmups are the best, and I get worse the more I hit. Maybe there is an advantage in being stiff?

tonight was the icing on the cake, was at the club and the kids were mucking around hitting drivers down the first fairway, so I decided to show em how its done. (as if they dont hit it past me already). Standing in plain flat shoes with no soles and not even a practice swing, I just applied Marty Ayers key that he wants me to work on, which is try to hit over the top as hard as you can (but you cant come over the top if you do it right) and I absolutely flushed it. Bloody hurt in several places though.

Another mate of mine, an ex-touring pro has no dramas teeing it up without a practice swing and just rips it. When I ask why he doesn't warm up, he says "why warm up?".

I know a lot of choppers don't warm up but thats why they are still choppers :-)

anyone have any thoughts on the virtues of warming up, or not?

3Puttpete
17th January 2013, 12:58 AM
I have a finite amount of good shots in me and I generally choose not to waste a few on the range before a game.

mike
17th January 2013, 01:10 AM
Walking to the first tee is my warm up.

Shortylook
17th January 2013, 02:51 AM
I tend to warm up with a few chips before I play and i do a bit of streaching at home too before i play. It hasn't help me lower my handicap, but I don't get sore from playing/walking 9 or 18 holes a couple times a week. I get a lot of warming up/ practicing shouldn't be allowed before the round, but it makes me feel good.

muldude
17th January 2013, 07:30 AM
Had a conversation with our club pro about 6 months ago on this matter, i used to hit about half a bucket before teeing off so i could see what flight it was that day either a draw or fade........changes daily. he talked about his son who used to do the same, the son got himself worked up if it wasn't perfect on the range. he was no longer allowed to hit balls before tee off and only allowed to hit net shots and dropped 4 shots to +2 as result, his thinking was fraz had no bad thoughts in his head and just played and was better for it.
I tried this and just have about 6 swings before and i must say the 1st few holes are much better now as before i always struggled the 1st 3 holes and often ruined the card those 1st 3 holes.
Quite often i get yaking on the putting green and forget and just tee it up and usually smoke the 1st drive......so buggered if i know.

Daves
17th January 2013, 09:32 AM
I "warm up" on the chipping green only, no full swings. The real warm up for me is some quick stretching (stand on toes), then I do a couple of squats down onto my heels.

Monsta
17th January 2013, 09:38 AM
I stretch about an hour before teeing off, legacy of having spinal injury. Then again on the 1st tee, but usually only have about 5 full swings before actually hitting.

mrbluu
17th January 2013, 11:27 AM
Does lifting schooners count???

Jarro
17th January 2013, 11:41 AM
I never warm up, and find i hit the ball much better at the start of the round than coming down the stretch.

sms316
17th January 2013, 11:46 AM
I never warm up, and find i hit the ball much better at the start of the round than coming down the stretch.
You should use a cart.

popper81
17th January 2013, 11:48 AM

Little guys like you take a lot more steps than us.. makes sense.

Jarro
17th January 2013, 11:51 AM
Little guys like you take a lot more steps than us.. makes sense.

Uh huh.

Having less jiggly bits helps too.

Less chance of chaffing.

PeteyD
17th January 2013, 11:54 AM
little steps like this guy?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_NCdX-k-on2c/SivyFEZOzvI/AAAAAAAACHE/Oj1jkHtde2g/s400/droopy.gif

Daves
17th January 2013, 11:55 AM
Uh huh.

Less chance of chaffing.

So your manly boasting was just bluff then?:wink:

popper81
17th January 2013, 11:57 AM
Uh huh.

Less chance of chaffing.

Hahaha.. we could play all day, Jarro... Eventually though work will be your excuse, and you will have to leave :)

Hatchman
17th January 2013, 12:44 PM
My warm up these days for the swing is just a few stretches and a heap of practice swings (10-20) with two irons together before stepping onto the first tee. I always spend 5-10mins on the putting green thou. Always starting with big long ones to get a feel for the roll distance and end in a serries of 3-4 footers to tune the aim.15-20 years ago I never played without hitting 40-50 balls. The first 3/4 of the shag bag was only toe up to toe up hits with the 7iron. Finishing with 10-12 full 7irons then pick up balls and 15mins on the putting green. My ball striking back then was the best it's ever been, just couldn't putt like I do now.

Bruce
17th January 2013, 12:45 PM
I like hitting 10-20 balls if possible to see what today's swing is.

If you'er going to dance with who brung ya - best know who that is.

Dotty
17th January 2013, 12:52 PM
Quite often i get yaking on the putting green and forget and just tee it up and usually smoke the 1st drive.
Not quite smoke, but it usually gets the comment 'Resolute'.

I have a finite amount of good shots in me and I generally choose not to waste a few on the range before a game.
+1

solarman
17th January 2013, 12:57 PM
Courty doesn't warm up as his mascara and eye liner tends to run when he sweats.

Chapzzzz
18th January 2013, 10:42 PM
Best "Warm up Tablet" is a coule of Voltarin's...

I hit 15-20 balls to warm up.
Nothing serious.
Try to hit a few deliberate slices & hooks then smash the driver as hard as I can.

Usually works for me.

TheNuclearOne
18th January 2013, 10:47 PM
Do you see a lion stretching and warming up before bursting off after a gazelle?

Marto65
18th January 2013, 10:49 PM
30 odd pills. To old to not warm up now, otherwise it takes about 5 holes. The round could be over by then if I don't.

razaar
19th January 2013, 07:58 AM
Whatever it takes to get the muscles ready to perform the movements without excess tension is good. Going into any shot cold is either lazy, stupid or ignorance. You wouldn't be able to perform in sex cold, well the same applies to golf. The muscles concerned need to be prepared and ready for action. Since muscles are activated by the brain, then the warm up is performed in the brain before the event. Just like sex.

sms316
19th January 2013, 08:17 AM
You know they have drugs for people of your age Ray?

Daves
19th January 2013, 08:19 AM
I want to know how you "warm" up for sex?

Marto65
19th January 2013, 08:39 AM

It's called "foreplay" Daves. Surely you remember that.

mrbluu
19th January 2013, 08:42 AM

Is trying to not wake her up considered foreplay???

Daves
19th January 2013, 09:32 AM

Nah that was too easy an answer, I am sure Ray has his own regimented warm up.

TheNuclearOne
19th January 2013, 09:44 AM

With plenty of pronation and supination, a high right hip etc :D

razaar
19th January 2013, 09:54 AM
It is called visualization. It helps if you can mentally play the shot, actually feel playing the shot in the mind's eye. TNO may struggle here with his blink and its all over technique.:)

TheNuclearOne
19th January 2013, 10:38 AM
It is called visualization. It helps if you can mentally play the shot, actually feel playing the shot in the mind's eye. TNO may struggle here with his blink and its all over technique.:)

But, but, but it's wildly effective and exciting Ray :D

If i do take heed of your warmup advice - is there plenty of freedom and bend in the right arm going back and is the motion from there a push or a pull to both arms straight???

:mrgreen:

razaar
19th January 2013, 10:45 AM
But, but, but it's wildly effective and exciting Ray :D

If i do take heed of your warmup advice - is there plenty of freedom and bend in the right arm going back and is the motion from there a push or a pull to both arms straight???

:mrgreen:
It's the opposite.:)

Eca
19th January 2013, 11:47 AM
Get your clothes off wifey.. Now.(wishful thinking)

I tried hitting a few balls then not hitting any & I have better starts when I haven't.
So now, I chip a few, Putt some 40-50 footers then a few 3
Footers, stretch then just b4 teeing up, swing 2
Clubs (4&5irons) slowly & continuously & in rhythm about 6 cycles..
Done.

gazgolf1
19th January 2013, 04:14 PM
No warmup for me, I usually just bunt one down the middle before chunking, pushing, dragging, flaring the second shot into a bunker, works everytime.

Eag's
19th January 2013, 04:49 PM
Shit Gaz, for a minute there, I thought you were talking about sex ;)

jaybam
19th January 2013, 07:53 PM
What's sex????

PeteyD
19th January 2013, 07:54 PM
the thing the females tricked you with up until the breeding bit.

Marto65
19th January 2013, 09:05 PM
Tried the "No warm up, schooner and sandwich" warm up today.

Triple bogey on 10.. double on 11. 5 over after 2.

Finished 8 over.

Warm up idiot.

AndyP
19th January 2013, 09:11 PM
I didn't warm up at all today and found that I was mentally engaged in the round from the start. A warmup might help getting you to concentrate.