PDA

View Full Version : Driver loft

Shortylook
15th January 2013, 01:55 PM
So I went and changed my driver loft to 9.5 and it seems I am getting a better hit, almost hitting a draw most hits. The other thing I noticed is that I'm getting 30-40 meters extra on the drives, even the miss hits are going further.I checked the distances with my gps and I was very impressed I will have to keep this for a couple of weeks to see if it is going to stay like this, or if it was just a fluke.

Dotty
15th January 2013, 02:05 PM
Is that carry distance?

If it is anything like Sydney, there is another 20m of run compared to two months ago. Especially, if the landing angle is now shallower, as a result from a lower ball flight.

Shortylook
15th January 2013, 07:31 PM
My ball is now landing where it used to sort of stop if you get what I mean, I actually checked one drive and i was 53m from the center of the green, which is a 273 m drive. I almost fell over. But again, I will have to go back up in next couple of days and try a couple different holes, as well as the same ones from today. Bear in mind I wasn't anywhere close to these distances on Sunday for scrounges and it's the same course. I just hope it's a sign of better things to come. Bu I've still got to try and keep it straight too 😝

Hatchman
15th January 2013, 08:49 PM
That's big gain in yardage. The old driver must have been crap or totally unsuited to your swing.
A lot of us hope for similar gains when going to something new but never see that sort of result.

Back when the ERC II was the new thing, a friend of mine got a 40m gain with this club. In our group he was known as the "Nowhere Man" as he hit the driver (Bridgestone Whopper I think it was) nowhere but bloody straight. He hit the ERC II just as straight but all of a sudden up with us and sometimes past us. We couldn't belive how much length he'd gained with one club. He was still the same two irons behind on distance than we were so no swing changes. I ended up getting an ERC II but only saw a 10m gain over my Titeist 975D.

Shortylook
16th January 2013, 01:38 AM
Ah stupid Internet, this might get posted twice so ill apologies in advance.
It's not a new driver just a different loft. I posted on here and asked about loft settings and a couple guys said it changed some speed/spin rates, I can't remember. So I finally went and changed it today and as I said there was a great improvement from Sunday to today. I didn't hit them all perfect and I will go for another whack tomoz. I just hope it wasn't a fluke that's all.👍😁

mrbluu
16th January 2013, 02:56 AM
What was it set in before?

Shortylook
16th January 2013, 09:52 AM
10.5 Bluey

Looney
16th January 2013, 10:21 AM
Did you adjust anything else Shorty as to gain that sort of distance by dropping a degree seems hard to believe? In charging the loft did the face angle change from open to closed?

Shortylook
16th January 2013, 10:29 AM
No Looney nothing else has been changed, I have left the other settings on neutral.

Dotty
16th January 2013, 10:34 AM
No Looney nothing else has been changed, I have left the other settings on neutral.
Not quite. According to your Irons thread, you've done some practice with irons, and getting improved results.

I suspect these improvements in timing and release would also be taking place with the driver.

Edit. It's the Irons thread, not the Wow! thread.

Shortylook
16th January 2013, 10:40 AM
Not quite. According to your Wow! thread, you've done some practice with irons, and getting improved results.I suspect these improvements in timing and release would also be taking place with the driver. Lol, I thought looney was talking about driver change's. too true Dotty, I have been practicing a fair bit with my irons, so yea maybe this has rubbed off to my driver. I sure hope what ever has happened it stays for me😄

Dotty
16th January 2013, 10:51 AM
No prob.
It's good that you have a driver that you can tune for your swing changes.

Keep up the practice, and it will be interesting to see what loft works best at Easter. (Couple of theories come into play. The one that you've found that landing angle influences run-out. The other is that air has less resistance than grass, so a better swing plus 10.5* may carry the ball further still.)

Daves
16th January 2013, 10:57 AM
If I drop my loft down (910/913) I can hit longer drivers on average, mainly due to greater run out. But the drives are harder to control, and more prone to running through fairways and into trouble. Higher gives more control but less run out. Its a trade off.

kiwitown
16th January 2013, 11:09 AM
If I drop my loft down (910/913) I can hit longer drivers on average, mainly due to greater run out. But the drives are harder to control, and more prone to running through fairways and into trouble. Higher gives more control but less run out. Its a trade off.

Daves, i thought this was interesting Vid!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1P3o12JjjYE

Shortylook
16th January 2013, 11:14 AM
No prob. It's good that you have a driver that you can tune for your swing changes. Keep up the practice, and it will be interesting to see what loft works best at Easter. (Couple of theories come into play. The one that you've found that landing angle influences run-out. The other is that air has less resistance than grass, so a better swing plus 10.5* may carry the ball further still.)Oh ok cheers, ill keep at it for a couple of months and ill repost and let you know what I think.

Shortylook
16th January 2013, 10:49 PM
No prob. It's good that you have a driver that you can tune for your swing changes. Keep up the practice, and it will be interesting to see what loft works best at Easter. (Couple of theories come into play. The one that you've found that landing angle influences run-out. The other is that air has less resistance than grass, so a better swing plus 10.5* may carry the ball further still.)Hey dotty, I went back up and had a hit again with the trusty driver and it seems the distance is legit. The ball didn't carry as far today as it was quite wet on the course, so I would say distance gained was 20-30 meters. I've got scrounges tomorrow so I hope it stays for at least another 24 hours lol

Waddzy
3rd April 2013, 04:10 PM
Hows your driver going these days Shorty? Behaving? Im currently running a 9.5 but been thinking of testing some 10.5 or even 11.5 for abit more control.. Just curious how your 9.5 set up is going.

aym
3rd April 2013, 06:58 PM
So it was 10.5 and you dropped to 9.5 an opened a bit? If so I'm in the same boat, with the face a bit open I'm hitting draws with longer run, where as my shots before was high but would just check once it hits the ground.

Shortylook
3rd April 2013, 09:50 PM
Waddzy, aym, how are you both going, I haven't changed the loft since I posted, and I apologize I only just seen your posts.I played at kalbarri Saturday just gone and my driver is getting some what more reliable.now don't take this the wrong way I'm not 14/14 for fairways but I think, I'm hitting more than I used to.Hmm 3/14 isn't much to get excited about ha ha. But I was consistently out driving my partners and they had lower caps than me. Most times I was 10-15 meters further than them. When I don't hang back and finish off properly it goes really well,but when I don't HELLO slice city. They even commented on just about all of my drives. I'm going to stick with it and see how i go with a full year of playing/practice/lessons. Hope your driver behaves for you both,keep me posted of any changes.
Shorty

Waddzy
4th April 2013, 06:52 AM
Waddzy, aym, how are you both going, I haven't changed the loft since I posted, and I apologize I only just seen your posts.I played at kalbarri Saturday just gone and my driver is getting some what more reliable.now don't take this the wrong way I'm not 14/14 for fairways but I think, I'm hitting more than I used to.Hmm 3/14 isn't much to get excited about ha ha. But I was consistently out driving my partners and they had lower caps than me. Most times I was 10-15 meters further than them. When I don't hang back and finish off properly it goes really well,but when I don't HELLO slice city. They even commented on just about all of my drives. I'm going to stick with it and see how i go with a full year of playing/practice/lessons. Hope your driver behaves for you both,keep me posted of any changes.
Shorty

Thats the biggest thing for myself also , finishing my swing and actually swinging properly not holding back makes it go much straighter , I hit a reasonably long ball all ready but been searching around and everyone seems to think 10.5 has more distance and more control.. Ill be testing out a few xtreme's and x hots on the weekend to test this...