PDA

View Full Version : Golf pros advice

dannycallaz
11th January 2013, 07:26 AM
Hey all, my bro in law plays a big slice and recently had some lessons to correct this and pick up some general tips and tricks.

The pro teaching him has told him that before he makes contact he has to flip his hands at the ball.

Tell me if I'm wrong but I think that is bad advice, wouldn't he be better perhaps trying to re-model his swing a little rather than flipping his hands?

razaar
11th January 2013, 07:37 AM
Danny
Fling not flip, your b-i-l must have misunderstood. Fling means to throw backhand as in frisbee. Flip means to flip upwards. I'd wait a year before telling him, if you play him golf that is.

davepuppies
11th January 2013, 12:12 PM
I thought flip referred to the movement of the hands through impact either way?

I tend to rotate the hands too much through impact, which I was always told was a flip?

dannycallaz
11th January 2013, 12:33 PM
Danny
Fling not flip, your b-i-l must have misunderstood. Fling means to throw backhand as in frisbee. Flip means to flip upwards. I'd wait a year before telling him, if you play him golf that is.

I've always been told it is flip. Flipping the hands over through contact to square the club face

razaar
11th January 2013, 01:10 PM
Nope...same action as throwing a frisbee with the left hand. Buy a frisbee and practice. Buy one for your brother-in- Law as well. Right handed players who control the club with the right hand have no sense or experience of what a correct release is. It is a feeling like cracking a whip with the wrists after impact. Not before or during impact but immediately after impact.

Webster
11th January 2013, 02:51 PM
Danny, golf pros are like any other profession - the best will be very good, the mid range ones will be serviceable, and the ones at the bottom of the pile will be awful. Treat them with caution.

Monsta
11th January 2013, 03:05 PM
Danny,

If your BIL lives here in Canberra, get him to go see Warren at the Lakes. He is excellent with his lessons. He will give you little things to work on and change rather than a complete swing overhaul

dannycallaz
11th January 2013, 03:12 PM
Danny,

If your BIL lives here in Canberra, get him to go see Warren at the Lakes. He is excellent with his lessons. He will give you little things to work on and change rather than a complete swing overhaul

Good mates with Waz and had the odd lesson with him. Suggested that to my BIL he's having his lessons at federal.