PDA

View Full Version : Brisneyland accommodation advice

Courty
7th January 2013, 09:04 PM
A family friend from OS is moving to Brisbane next month to do a Masters degree at UQ (St. Lucia). What can the Brisbanites recommend in regards to accommodation (preferably apartments) close to the campus & public transport etc? I am in touch with him via Facebook so can find out more info if necessary.

PeteyD
7th January 2013, 09:14 PM
Do it fast as the accomodation goes.

Suburbs near the uni - indooroopilly, Tooowong, St Lucia. Or across the river at Dutton Park.

AndyP
7th January 2013, 09:17 PM
It's an expensive area, as Toowong and Indooroopilly are hubs nearby.

The other side of the river may be a good option, such as Fairfield and Yeronga, as there is a "green" bridge that only allows bus, bike and foot traffic. I boarded in Yeronga for the first two years of uni and rode to the ferry (before the bridge was built).

IamViva
7th January 2013, 09:20 PM
A family friend from OS is moving to Brisbane next month to do a Masters degree at UQ (St. Lucia). What can the Brisbanites recommend in regards to accommodation (preferably apartments) close to the campus & public transport etc? I am in touch with him via Facebook so can find out more info if necessary.

shared accommodation with lots of young ladies, public transport is pretty accessible in and around the cbd, just depends on what he can afford in rent/board.

3Puttpete
7th January 2013, 09:21 PM
How close is close? Walking distance or is public transport an option? Anywhere along the river and he can catch a boat there

BrisVegas
7th January 2013, 09:54 PM
I shared a house with some mates at Yeronga when I first moved to Brisbane. These guys were all UQ students. It's easy to get to the uni via the green bridge on a bus or pushbike etc. Yeronga is a nicer (quieter) area than St Lucia & Toowong, which are full of units and students. Realistically, anywhere on the Ipswich train line is pretty simple to get to St Lucia. There is a connecting bus at Toowong train station.

AndyP
7th January 2013, 09:56 PM
Realistically, anywhere on the Ipswich train line is pretty simple to get to St Lucia. There is a connecting bus at Toowong train station.I would assume that it would be the same for the Beenleigh line then, and a bus from either Park Rd or Dutton Park stations across the bridge.

Ronny
7th January 2013, 09:56 PM
Depends on how much he is willing to pay but there is some accomodation at South Brisbane as well. Ferry down the river to the Uni.

Moe Norman
8th January 2013, 10:44 AM
Courty,

Tell him to try and get a supervisor job at one of the on campus colleges. They usually take Masters Students, they live there, get free board, food, electricity etc and just have to supervise a few random activities. Its a cracker of a lifestyle.

Courty
8th January 2013, 12:01 PM
Courty, Tell him to try and get a supervisor job at one of the on campus colleges. They usually take Masters Students, they live there, get free board, food, electricity etc and just have to supervise a few random activities. Its a cracker of a lifestyle. Cheers Moe, can you give any leads on who would he have to contact about it?

Moe Norman
8th January 2013, 12:21 PM
Sorry, I don't know anyone at any of the colleges anymore.

But he should just get in touch with the business manager or master at Kings, Emmanuel, St Leo's, St Johns, Union & International House. Certainly can't hurt.

I would also try a couple of the nearby boarding schools, as they usually put you up in some nice digs with food & board in return for 2 night duties a week in the boarding house. BBC at Toowong, St Peters at Indooroopilly and even Ipswich Grammar would be good starts. I had heaps of mates do this option (including myself) and it was great. Some went as far as Nudgee and Churchie, but I lived at BBC in Toowong.

If he can coach a sport, that also helps and they pay extra for that