PDA

View Full Version : No.1 amateur player has announced he is turning Professional

jaster
2nd November 2005, 11:41 PM
I have heard heaps about this bloke..will be interesting to see what happens...

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,17109477-23213,00.html?from=rss

Sim ends career as amateur
By Brent Read
November 2, 2005

THE world's No.1 amateur player has announced he is turning professional. And here's the twist - he's an Australian.

Michael Sim, 21, from Western Australia, yesterday said he would end his amateur status after a successful career highlighted by two victories on the US Amateur Tour.

Sim won the Sunnehanna Amateur in June, firing a seven-under-par 63 in the second round to set up victory. Previous winners of the tournament include Tiger Woods and Ben Crenshaw. Six days later Sim added the Monroe Invitational with four solid rounds at the Monroe Country Club in New York.

Eight days later he went within three shots of adding a third title, finishing in a tie for second at the Northeast Amateur Championship.

After losing in the second round of the US Amateur in August, the tournament that vaulted Australia's Nick Flanagan into the public eye, Sim headed home.

The next step was clear - turn pro and take on the world's best.

Sim has played in the past two Australian Opens and Australian Masters.

On all four occasions he missed the cut, although he did so in respectable circumstances. He also made his debut on the US PGA Tour this year, receiving an invitation to play alongside the game's heavy hitters in the Bay Hill Invitational. He missed the cut by one shot.

"I've played all the Australian team events for the past three years and I couldn't really play in any more of those national teams," Sim said yesterday.

"I had a really good summer this year in America and I think it's just the right time to make the move."

Sim's coach David Milne believes his charge is well equipped to handle the elevation to the professional ranks.

"It's a big jump but for someone like Michael, who has played at international level for the past two years it's not that big a transition," Milne said.

Sim is expected to make his professional debut in the NSW Open at Liverpool Golf Club on November 17.

Additional reporting: AAP

The Australian

markTHEblake
3rd November 2005, 12:17 AM
beauty - my ranking just went up by one place!

jaster
3rd November 2005, 12:20 AM
:lol: :roll:

turboalfa
3rd November 2005, 10:10 PM
Simmy will do well, he has a few decent starts both here and overseas in the coming months and now he is able accept some serious sponsorship that he has had coming for the last couple of years.

jaster
3rd November 2005, 10:26 PM
Turbo...are you Turbo Verada at a certain Auction site? That is a funny name :)

Do you know Mr Sims? I haven't see much of him but from what I have read he could nearly be our next major winner :smt023

turboalfa
4th November 2005, 08:16 AM
No im turboalfa on all forums (although it doesn't really suit this forum), but it just makes it easier to remember. Yeah played abit with Mr Sim at various tournaments. Really good bloke and yeah he could well be a chance to win our next major.

Thanks,

BrisVegas
4th November 2005, 08:23 AM
turbo - hope the rain clears up for the afternoon round today!