PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of giving away golf.....

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 11:02 AM
I am pondering giving away golf this year form a few reasons....

Historically whenever I am serious about golf my weight balloons as I don't train much, and tend to eat terribly when I don't play well (even when I do!)

But most recently I have sustained 2 injuries from golf, being a torn TCAA ( ligaments in right wrist) and injured my ACL in left leg.

These injuries came about from manufacturing a swing to provide a draw ball flight, which has never been my natural shot.

I am now 33, and thinking my health needs to take priority over golf.

I am typically a all or nothing personality ( not the best I know) and have always struggled to find a rounded balance in life ( which is why I was a huge bodybuilder back in the day)

I go back to see the surgeon next week, but once I am repaired I am thinking golf will be a once or twice a year thing, not a competitive/pennants thing.

Thanks for listening.

Webster
5th January 2013, 11:03 AM
What gear fo you have for sale?

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 11:07 AM
Should I get the point where I decide it be, I will have a large scotty collection for sale.......

markTHEblake
5th January 2013, 11:08 AM
They say people that kill themselves never speak about it. Those that threaten too are just crying out for help.

Buy a new driver.

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 11:14 AM
They say people that kill themselves never speak about it. Those that threaten too are just crying out for help.

Buy a new driver.

I haven't been able to swing a club for 2 months due to torn ligament, and once surgery done another 2-3 months away.

A new driver ain't going to fix anything.

I was looking for others perspectives that may have experienced similar.

markTHEblake
5th January 2013, 11:21 AM
Since when is golf fun? Unless one considers torture fun.

Toolish
5th January 2013, 11:43 AM
Just go and do something else for a while....keep your clubs, give it 3-6 months and see what happens.

As for not staying fit while golfing, honestly that sounds like a cop-out. How much time each week do you dedicate to golf when playing? How much time do you use for training when getting huge?

Johnny Canuck
5th January 2013, 11:44 AM
I haven't been able to swing a club for 2 months due to torn ligament, and once surgery done another 2-3 months away.A new driver ain't going to fix anything.I was looking for others perspectives that may have experienced similar.I am 37 and the tendonitis has returned to both of my elbows. It is all about managing it. I enjoy golf too much to give it up.At 33, giving up golf for health reasons doesn't sound right.

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 11:45 AM
Just go and do something else for a while....keep your clubs, give it 3-6 months and see what happens.

As for not staying fit while golfing, honestly that sounds like a cop-out. How much time each week do you dedicate to golf when playing? How much time do you use for training when getting huge?

When I was bodybuilding I did a hour of cardio in morning, plus hour of weights of night.

Golf? Hour or 2 hitting balls most nights during week, 5-6 hours on weekend.

It is not a time thing, but rather whatever is my main focus gets all my energy.

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 11:48 AM
I am 37 and the tendonitis has returned to both of my elbows. It is all about managing it. I enjoy golf too much to give it up.At 33, giving up golf for health reasons doesn't sound right.

Yep, I have had tendinitis in my elbows from years of lifting heavy weights..... I can manage and work around that......

Tearing ligaments is a different story?

BroKar
5th January 2013, 11:56 AM
Your problem isn't golf then is it? You have an addictive personality, learn how to manage it.

I have one aswell.

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 12:00 PM
Your problem isn't golf then is it? You have an addictive personality, learn how to manage it.

I have one aswell.

Any tips or suggestions Brokar?

Johnny Canuck
5th January 2013, 12:13 PM
Sounds like you need to abandon that draw swing to start with.

Any tips on the tendonitis management? Any gym exercises to help?

Captain Nemo
5th January 2013, 01:40 PM
Dave if your not enjoying it put your membership on hold and take a break, get your head back in the game health first golf later......
Your young you've got plenty of time to get back into it.

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 02:23 PM

I was taking lots of glucosamine, MSM and fish oil, icing it after exercise, and avoided gym work that stressed it ( such as bicep curls with straight bar, and lateral shoulder raises)

TourFit
5th January 2013, 04:50 PM

Stop wanking!

matty
5th January 2013, 05:24 PM
Rapigel. Instant relief.

LarryLong
5th January 2013, 07:47 PM

This.

I'd find a swing that doesn't damage your body, dial back the practice (or don't do any at all) and still play golf.

Lagerlover
5th January 2013, 08:30 PM
This.

I'd find a swing that doesn't damage your body.

And like in my case, one that doesn't damage your mind.

Eag's
5th January 2013, 08:52 PM
If your body is suffering, then it's a no brainer to give golf a miss for awhile.

Hatchman
5th January 2013, 08:55 PM
Rapigel. Instant relief.

Ah the horse deep heat.

Not for use on humans according to the label so it will be fine for most on here to use it :D.

I can testify that it's good stuff. You can find it a most stock feed and saddlery places.

Hatchman
5th January 2013, 08:57 PM
http://www.ozgolf.net/images/styles/GamerGreen/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Johnny Canuck http://www.ozgolf.net/images/styles/GamerGreen/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php?p=903916#post903916)

Stop wanking!

or change hands :)

matty
5th January 2013, 09:19 PM
Ah the horse deep heat.

Not for use on humans according to the label so it will be fine for most on here to use it :D.

I can testify that it's good stuff. You can find it a most stock feed and saddlery places.

Yep. Top stuff. Very popular in the NRL, not that you'd ever hear about it!

Toolish
5th January 2013, 09:26 PM

I have one aswell.

Sounds about right. If you can't split your focus then I guess that is the issue rather than golf. I can be a bit similar but over time I have got a bit better at managing it...having a family forces that to go away a bit I reckon.

If you need to pick one or the other then it is all up to you.

davepuppies
5th January 2013, 10:08 PM
I will keep the clubs ( and my precious scottys) in the spare room for a few months whilst I wait for my wrist to heal, and focus on my training and see what life looks like then......

Golf is a love hate relationship for me.......

Tongueboy
6th January 2013, 09:20 AM
It is for everyone isn't it?

Mububban
6th January 2013, 04:20 PM
Pretty much

rqrox
6th January 2013, 09:06 PM
I am pondering giving away golf this year form a few reasons....

Historically whenever I am serious about golf my weight balloons as I don't train much, and tend to eat terribly when I don't play well (even when I do!)

But most recently I have sustained 2 injuries from golf, being a torn TCAA ( ligaments in right wrist) and injured my ACL in left leg.

These injuries came about from manufacturing a swing to provide a draw ball flight, which has never been my natural shot.

I am now 33, and thinking my health needs to take priority over golf.

I am typically a all or nothing personality ( not the best I know) and have always struggled to find a rounded balance in life ( which is why I was a huge bodybuilder back in the day)

I go back to see the surgeon next week, but once I am repaired I am thinking golf will be a once or twice a year thing, not a competitive/pennants thing.

Thanks for listening.

Are you F#@ing kidding me!
Pull your head in, I'm a builder that has a bad back which will never get better, fix your ailments which isn't helped when you take a dive over the mower, come and play with a hack like me ( which will help build your morale) and Dangles who will dazzle you with his game.

Also, you don't need to be a pennant player to enjoy your golf! some of us will go about playing in "A" grade which is better than most and bloody hell you still murder your driver.

rqrox
6th January 2013, 09:13 PM
I am pondering giving away golf this year form a few reasons....<br>
<br>
Historically whenever I am serious about golf my weight balloons as I don't train much, and tend to eat terribly when I don't play well (even when I do!)<br>
<br>
But most recently I have sustained 2 injuries from golf, being a torn TCAA ( ligaments in right wrist) and injured my ACL in left leg.<br>
<br>
These injuries came about from manufacturing a swing to provide a draw ball flight, which has never been my natural shot.<br>
<br>
I am now 33, and thinking my health needs to take priority over golf.<br>
<br>
I am typically a all or nothing personality ( not the best I know) and have always struggled to find a rounded balance in life ( which is why I was a huge bodybuilder back in the day)<br>
<br>
I go back to see the surgeon next week, but once I am repaired I am thinking golf will be a once or twice a year thing, not a competitive/pennants thing.<br>
<br>
Thanks for listening.<br><br>
Are you F#@ing kidding me!
Pull your head in, I'm a builder that has a bad back which will never get better, fix your ailments which isn't helped when you take a dive over the mower, come and play with a hack like me ( which will help build your morale) and Dangles who will dazzle you with his game.
Also, you don't need to be a pennant player to enjoy your golf! nor do you need to practice every day, some of us will go about playing in "A" grade ,which is better than most, and be content that you are better than the vast majority and bloody hell you still murder the ball!

Pep up big boy, work hard and treat golf like a tool for relaxation and to get away from the other things in life that you can't control. Damaging your body for the "perfect" ball flight of which many tour pro's don't have is not worth it. Come and join the rest of us "controlled faders" which is more acurate and start scoring again.:D

rqrox
6th January 2013, 09:14 PM
Whoops double post with extra in there for good luck.

s12raider
24th January 2013, 03:58 PM
Dave, Stu here.

I'm known as The Angry Man. Not the nicest thing to be called but I know why.

Someone said earlier you have an addicitve personality. Possibly I'd say perfectionist with boarderline narcsism thrown in - heck we all have a little of this in us :-)

Cutting to the chase, you're trying to find any excuse that is tangible when I'd suspect there are some other elements you need to understand and deal with.

<And yes I can already see/hear the groans coming from the 'group' on board here>

go and see a reputable shrink/relationship/ call it what you want practioner. I'm one of the people who completely think they are a waste of time too OR I DID until I lost my old man suddenly last year and had ot find out why I was behaving like I was - yes Virge even more worse than I was before <grin>

Best thing I did, and it helped solve a few things. Mind you i still relapse back of course.

Just a thought of course.

Oh and if you do give up the game you're left handed right? :lol:

Ferrins
30th August 2013, 12:00 PM
I hate golf!

Lucasto23
30th August 2013, 12:27 PM
It's okay ferret, golf hates sandbaggers like you as we'll ;)

Daves
30th August 2013, 12:34 PM
Didn't quite master the Wantima Watusi then?:wink:

Captain Nemo
30th August 2013, 12:35 PM
I hate golf!

Not a good sign from the Champ with 2 odd months to go b4 the defence....

timah!
30th August 2013, 12:38 PM
He's foxing. ;)

Ferrins
30th August 2013, 12:55 PM
Didn't quite master the Wantima Watusi then?:wink: Can't even break 90 off the front tees on a course designed by a guy in a gimp suit.

Tomson
30th August 2013, 01:06 PM
I think I am just about over golf as well, hopefully the bug bites again soon.

goughy
30th August 2013, 01:16 PM
I'll swap ya's. Most days you're at golf I'm at work

mrbluu
30th August 2013, 02:23 PM
Can't even break 90 off the front tees on a course designed by a guy in a gimp suit.

Would a gimp suit affect the design??

matty
30th August 2013, 05:23 PM
I played with Davepuppies today at Ryde Parramatta (schmick course btw) and he still has a love hate thing going on. But I know that if he gives it away with a swing like that the golfing gods will speak to other gods and get him in other ways.

I had my first hit in a month after injuring rib cartilage. Tried to focus on enjoying it. Worked for the most part.

JADO75
30th August 2013, 07:18 PM
Great to hear both you blokes are getting back on the course.
Matty, I'd rather break ribs than do a rib cartilage, geez it hurts

Pirelli
30th August 2013, 07:38 PM
I don't think there's any need to give it away, you should be able to play golf for the next 40 years.

First of all I'd find a good instructor so you can learn a swing that isn't going to leave you needing surgery. Golf lessons are cheaper than surgery.

As far as gaining weight, that's up to you. Eat better or exercise more on off days etc. Don't drink anything that isn't water.

matty
30th August 2013, 07:57 PM
Yep. Nightmare of an injury. Still got a 10 cent coin size bulge but slowlygoing away.

davepuppies
30th August 2013, 08:05 PM
He still hits it 400 metres with torn ribs...... What's everyone else supposed to do? ;)

liptout
30th August 2013, 08:10 PM
He still hits it 400 metres with torn ribs...... What's everyone else supposed to do? ;)

So he was only hitting hybrids again today then?? ;)

davepuppies
30th August 2013, 08:20 PM

Yep, he had to lay up from driving the green on a few par 5s......

mrbluu
30th August 2013, 08:54 PM

Yep, he had to lay up from driving the green on a few par 5s......

He must be catching it in the heel....

Good to see you boys had a good day and it was great weather for it!!! DP shame you are not doubling up tomorrow.....

davepuppies
31st August 2013, 08:34 AM
He must be catching it in the heel....

Good to see you boys had a good day and it was great weather for it!!! DP shame you are not doubling up tomorrow.....

Hey mate, I felt my wrist twinge a little after a bunker shot yesterday, so would prefer not to risk it.....

We will catch up for a game really soon.....

Hope you guys have a blast today!

mrbluu
31st August 2013, 08:50 AM
Hey mate, I felt my wrist twinge a little after a bunker shot yesterday, so would prefer not to risk it.....

We will catch up for a game really soon.....

Hope you guys have a blast today!

More reason for you to come out today, from what I've heard it will be my one and only chance to know it past you....

Rest up mate, I'm quite sure we will get a game in, your health is much more important!!!

razaar
31st August 2013, 09:44 AM
During our regular Friday 9-holes yesterday, one of our group (who blew out to a 1 h'cap) made the comment that golf is a shit of a game when you have lost faith in your swing and/or short game. Pretty accurate comment, I thought.

mrbluu
31st August 2013, 10:06 AM
During our regular Friday 9-holes yesterday, one of our group (who blew out to a 1 h'cap) made the comment that golf is a shit of a game when you have lost faith in your swing and/or short game. Pretty accurate comment, I thought.

Way to keep the thread positive raz

Ferrins
31st August 2013, 10:15 AM
During our regular Friday 9-holes yesterday, one of our group (who blew out to a 1 h'cap) made the comment that golf is a shit of a game when you have lost faith in your swing and/or short game. Pretty accurate comment, I thought. I am in that boat.

matty
31st August 2013, 11:00 AM

I would mostly agree with him Raz. But we come back for the few 'God' shots we nail each round. If you look at those shots at a % of overall shots played we must all have some sort of weird mental addiction.

I'm trying to remind myself to enjoy this game more and remember where it belongs on the list of important things in life, which for me is well down the list if I'm not earning a living from it.

And I'm surprised mr bluu is playing Lynwood again after his bagging last time! I look forward to see if it touches him up again.:lol:

mrbluu
31st August 2013, 11:49 AM
I would mostly agree with him Raz. But we come back for the few 'God' shots we nail each round. If you look at those shots at a % of overall shots played we must all have some sort of weird mental addiction.I'm trying to remind myself to enjoy this game more and remember where it belongs on the list of important things in life, which for me is well down the list if I'm not earning a living from it.And I'm surprised mr bluu is playing Lynwood again after his bagging last time! I look forward to see if it touches him up again.:lol:Matty I got unfinished business at Lynwood, as it turns out we are at Richmond.

davepuppies
31st August 2013, 11:58 AM
Matty I got unfinished business at Lynwood, as it turns out we are at Richmond.

How come? Thought there was a booking made at Lynwood?

KristianJ
31st August 2013, 05:00 PM
4 man ambrose at Lynwood. In hindsight it was a great turn of events...will elaborate once I get home.

mrbluu
31st August 2013, 11:15 PM
How come? Thought there was a booking made at Lynwood?

Ok so I get to Lynwood as I want to find some redemption for some of the terrible golf I've played there in my last 2 rounds, paid my cash and for some reason decide to ask the lady pro, what event was it....she said it was 4 man ambrose (great organising skills rqrox)....I'm thinking hmmm not a fan of ambrose, especially when we were a man down....end up getting our money back and rushed over to Richmond for a bash.

rqrox took the honours for the group with 38, KJ snuck in for 37 and I was the chopper with 36. We all had wipes so what, could have been.

More about my round in http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/36622-Week-commencing-26th-August-2013?p=1007784&highlight=#post1007784
(http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/36622-Week-commencing-26th-August-2013?p=1007784&highlight=#post1007784)

Mububban
2nd September 2013, 03:04 PM
I tend to fall out of interest in a hobby if I feel it has no more questions to ask me. Meaning, I can't find any more challenges and I feel like I'm just going through the motions. If I don't feel like I can improve, can't find a new angle to the activity, or like I'm just plateauing and feeling stale, I'll give it away. Or at the very least have a good long break, then see if I keep thinking about it, or if I don't really miss it at all.

I'm fully addicted to golf right now, but I imagine myself plateauing in 5-10 years' time in the mid-high teens, getting frustrated because golf is the most frustrating game I've ever played, and falling to of love. But for now, I'm hooked :)

Embrace the fade :)

we come back for the few 'God' shots we nail each round. If you look at those shots at a % of overall shots played we must all have some sort of weird mental addiction.

Sounds about right!

3Puttpete
2nd September 2013, 03:36 PM
Not me. With the addition of being self-aware, I'm like a 3 year old whose parents put their drawings on the fridge.

Most of the time what I do is unrecognisable but those I care about encourage me because doing it makes me happy

Outcast
2nd September 2013, 04:36 PM
I haven't been able to swing a club for 2 months due to torn ligament, and once surgery done another 2-3 months away.

A new driver ain't going to fix anything.

I was looking for others perspectives that may have experienced similar.

DP,

I have some sort of elbow/wrist injury going at the moment... sharp pain that is almost unbearable after 3 or 4 holes which has been getting progressively worse the last few months. My game has suffered badly with my HCP blowing out from 7 to 12 (anchored) but, actually, struggling to play to about 19 if GL would let me blow out that far. To avoid pain (usually unsuccessfully) by body has decided to try & make compensations (which haven't worked either way).

Finally, I've gone to get physio & I'm working on a bunch of exercises trying to loosen up muscles in my forearm which appear to be impingeing on the Ulnar nerve. In addition to the exercises, she (the physio) has recommended trying larger diameter grips so, I've had my 7 iron done to take to the range & see if there is any improvement.

Next stage in the process (dependant upon the results from larger grips) will be pressure bandages to try & ease the muscular pressure on my ulnar nerve...

I can't play at the moment because of the results & pain when I do play, I'm not really missing it that much. But & a huge BUT, if I can get back to playing reasonable golf without or, at least with a manageable amount of pain, I will be back in like a shot..

Different injuries to the ones you have sustained but, I get where your at. Perhaps rather than just give it away, why not look at ways you might ease your pain or injuries so you can get back to playing reasonably & without pain. As someone else commented in this thread, perhaps you will need to 'embrace the fade'... I hit draws predominantly (wasn't my natural shape either), much prefer them but, if I have hit fades to get back to pain free golf then, so be it...

Hope you get it sorted & get back to enjoying your golf

Ferrins
2nd September 2013, 08:12 PM
I watched DC shank two shots today and felt good that my game hadn't turned to sh^t that way.

davepuppies
2nd September 2013, 08:21 PM
DP,

I have some sort of elbow/wrist injury going at the moment... sharp pain that is almost unbearable after 3 or 4 holes which has been getting progressively worse the last few months. My game has suffered badly with my HCP blowing out from 7 to 12 (anchored) but, actually, struggling to play to about 19 if GL would let me blow out that far. To avoid pain (usually unsuccessfully) by body has decided to try & make compensations (which haven't worked either way).

Finally, I've gone to get physio & I'm working on a bunch of exercises trying to loosen up muscles in my forearm which appear to be impingeing on the Ulnar nerve. In addition to the exercises, she (the physio) has recommended trying larger diameter grips so, I've had my 7 iron done to take to the range & see if there is any improvement.

Next stage in the process (dependant upon the results from larger grips) will be pressure bandages to try & ease the muscular pressure on my ulnar nerve...

I can't play at the moment because of the results & pain when I do play, I'm not really missing it that much. But & a huge BUT, if I can get back to playing reasonable golf without or, at least with a manageable amount of pain, I will be back in like a shot..

Different injuries to the ones you have sustained but, I get where your at. Perhaps rather than just give it away, why not look at ways you might ease your pain or injuries so you can get back to playing reasonably & without pain. As someone else commented in this thread, perhaps you will need to 'embrace the fade'... I hit draws predominantly (wasn't my natural shape either), much prefer them but, if I have hit fades to get back to pain free golf then, so be it...

Hope you get it sorted & get back to enjoying your golf

Cheers outcast....

I had my surgery, and have been back golfing for a couple of weeks (albeit swinging at 70%, and needing a weeks recovery between rounds)

Loving golf, not really caring too much about my handicap, and accepted I will spend a small amount of time in B grade ( out to 8 now, but have 13 in my sights!)

It's the bunker shots that hurt most

matty
2nd September 2013, 08:36 PM
They hurt me the most too ;-)

mrbluu
2nd September 2013, 08:58 PM
They hurt me the most too ;-) What happen with your short game lesson?

davepuppies
2nd September 2013, 09:22 PM
What happen with your short game lesson?
He had a fight with both his lob and sand wedge, and entered into a lifelong bond with his pitching wedge!

matty
2nd September 2013, 09:27 PM
What happen with your short game lesson?

Practice. Plus the fact I'm a retard in sand.

Outcast
2nd September 2013, 10:42 PM
Cheers outcast....

I had my surgery, and have been back golfing for a couple of weeks (albeit swinging at 70%, and needing a weeks recovery between rounds)

Loving golf, not really caring too much about my handicap, and accepted I will spend a small amount of time in B grade ( out to 8 now, but have 13 in my sights!)

It's the bunker shots that hurt most

Good to hear DP,

Unfortunately, mine starts to hurt after about 4 holes regardless of whether or not I hit ground. I have always had very active hands & an extremely late release which means my wrist snaps (not literally) quite aggressively at impact. This was fine before but, apparently not now & no-one knows why I'm suddenly having these issues. Perhaps it's just built up over time & now I've agitated the muscles & nerves enough to cause pain.

Tomorrow I head to the range with my 7 iron & its' midsized grip, my elbow & wrist already hurt (pretty much constant but, bearable pain).. tomorrow we see how it responds to hitting a few balls with a larger grip, hopefully some improvement & I can start working my way back to playing.

Dealing with the Hcp will/may have to come at some point, I'm fairly competitive in nature so, that might be a hard pill to swallow but, first aim is to get back playing regularly without pain, then we'll see how the rest goes..

razaar
2nd September 2013, 11:44 PM
Outcast, your swing descriptions suggest that your elbows are separating either in the backswing or forward swing or both. Another element to look at is your pivot particularly what the left shoulder feels like at the top. The correct feeling is that the shoulder should be trying to get back towards the target. It will feel almost like a reverse pivot where the shoulder blade is being forced against the rib cage. Without this feeling there won't be enough tension in the left arm because there isn't a solid base at the shoulder for the arm to work off in the downswing. Without this tension, the smaller muscles in the forearm/wrist are forced to do work that the shoulder muscles and biceps would do in an efficient action.

When the elbows separate, the right arm gets left behind and the left forearm/wrist (which are the weaker limb in most cases) is called on to try and save the shot. Over time these delicate muscles fatigue and become inflamed. The cure is to let it heal and seek advice on proper technique.

Outcast
3rd September 2013, 02:45 PM
Outcast, your swing descriptions suggest that your elbows are separating either in the backswing or forward swing or both. Another element to look at is your pivot particularly what the left shoulder feels like at the top. The correct feeling is that the shoulder should be trying to get back towards the target. It will feel almost like a reverse pivot where the shoulder blade is being forced against the rib cage. Without this feeling there won't be enough tension in the left arm because there isn't a solid base at the shoulder for the arm to work off in the downswing. Without this tension, the smaller muscles in the forearm/wrist are forced to do work that the shoulder muscles and biceps would do in an efficient action.

When the elbows separate, the right arm gets left behind and the left forearm/wrist (which are the weaker limb in most cases) is called on to try and save the shot. Over time these delicate muscles fatigue and become inflamed. The cure is to let it heal and seek advice on proper technique.

Thanks Ray, you got me thinking on this issue of separation. I spoke with the Pro I do some work with & whilst it is true that I occasionally get a little separated it's not a regular feature of my swing so, it doesn't appear to be the main cause. Does exacerbate the injury when I do get a little separated from time to time. My description might be a little off (not really sure) but, basically, very late release which puts tremendous stress on my extensors. The thicker grip seemed to do two things for me today, firstly, my grip pressure was a little more relaxed (which I have always tried for) without feeling like I was going to let the club go & my hands were not as involved in the shot which resulted in predominantly gentle fades.

Hit 30 - 35 balls today on the range with 7 iron with the midsize grip. I also tried to focus on hitting little fades rather than draws; interestingly, as I indicated above, more success hitting fades with the thicker grip than I usually do (approx 60% gentle fades, 15% draws & 25% block fades). Not pain free by any stretch of the imagination but, better & more manageable; next trial will be with a pressure bandage on the inside left forearm, up near the elbow & we will see how that goes.

Hopefully, will continue to make some progress & return to playing, then eventually scoring well again. My first target is being able to play 9 holes with my son in the upcoming school holidays.

Ferrins
30th August 2016, 03:03 PM
Golf still sucks!

Captain Nemo
30th August 2016, 05:27 PM
Golf still sucks!
At least you have Tennis....

davepuppies
30th August 2016, 08:07 PM
LOL funny to see this thread bumped.

Was having a massive winge, but still never really got back into it.

3 years on my wrist was operated on, but never fully recovered.

If I hit a bucket of balls, it lets me know about it for a few days.

My handicap is now out to 11 or 12 or something, and lucky to play 6-8 times a year, and still have a love hate thing going on (mainly due to expectations of past ability, and still not having a natural flight I like) but I didn't sell the clubs and still semi attached.

AndyP
30th August 2016, 08:13 PM
I've already given it away.

Grunt
30th August 2016, 08:30 PM
I did years ago, what i play now is not even close to golf.

Captain Nemo
30th August 2016, 08:38 PM
I did years ago, what i play now is not even close to golf.But shit you can drink!;)

Jarro
30th August 2016, 09:04 PM
I consider it every year when my fees are due.

davepuppies
30th August 2016, 09:20 PM
I just rejoined Monash after a recent 18 month hiatus.

No plans to get serious, but rather enjoy it (as much as my feeble mind will allow)

Grunt
30th August 2016, 09:27 PM
But shit you can drink!;)

Got to be good at something :) we are all put on this place to be good at one or sometimes 2 things. Those that are good at more than 2 are normally liars or just freaks.

dee cee
30th August 2016, 10:42 PM
I've given myself 6 months to turn it around otherwise I'll be resting the clubs indefinitely. I love the game and want to play it but when I do I can't do it to a level I'm satisfied with. I was off 8 near 7 and trending down at the end of last year. I'm now off 11 and looking at 12 soon. Just not enjoying it. If I can hit the ball half decent I'm fine. My problem is my bad shots can be extremely bad. I've lost my swing and confidence. I'm practicing a little more now and trying to actively change my swing so the fatal flaws are gone. It's a tough road to change a movement pattern you've always had. I'm finding this phase a real challenge and at times think it's all too hard. Time will tell I guess and if I do move on I'll be sure to drop by and give you my take on it.

mrbluu
30th August 2016, 10:46 PM
I've given myself 6 months to turn it around otherwise I'll be resting the clubs indefinitely. I love the game and want to play it but when I do I can't do it to a level I'm satisfied with. I was off 8 near 7 and trending down at the end of last year. I'm now off 11 and looking at 12 soon. Just not enjoying it. If I can hit the ball half decent I'm fine. My problem is my bad shots can be extremely bad. I've lost my swing and confidence. I'm practicing a little more now and trying to actively change my swing so the fatal flaws are gone. It's a tough road to change a movement pattern you've always had. I'm finding this phase a real challenge and at times think it's all too hard. Time will tell I guess and if I do move on I'll be sure to drop by and give you my take on it.
Are u seeing a coaching or just doing yourself?

dee cee
31st August 2016, 04:56 PM
Definitely notdoing this without instruction. But ultimately it's all up to how much I put in as to how well I'll go. I bet most of us have gotten lessons in the past but not done enough to ingrain it. I've got to battle through to make the necessary changes.

mrbluu
31st August 2016, 10:33 PM
Definitely notdoing this without instruction. But ultimately it's all up to how much I put in as to how well I'll go. I bet most of us have gotten lessons in the past but not done enough to ingrain it. I've got to battle through to make the necessary changes. Good stuff. Just make sure your coach is able to explain what he means and give u drills to get into the right spots for. My mate struggled after getting lessons as he just didn't where getting the club on plane and the coach wasn't able to explain it. This lead to a crap load of other issues. Good luck.

Jazz18
1st September 2016, 12:43 AM
After every round I play........

Captain Nemo
1st September 2016, 08:50 AM
After every round I play........ But you keep coming back, that's the main thing!👍

damoocow
1st September 2016, 08:58 AM
My subs were due yesterday - haven't paid them - still unsure whether to give it away, take leave of absence, take a cheap country membership...Got to my lowest handicap about 2 months ago and just have not played well or enjoyed it since then.

mrbluu
1st September 2016, 09:16 AM
But you keep coming back, that's the main thing!

It gives him an excuse to HO more clubs!!!

Jazz18
1st September 2016, 09:17 AM
But you keep coming back, that's the main thing!👍

It's hard to change bad habits. Besides, what am I supposed to do all weekend if I don't play golf. Hang out with my family? Haha! ;)

Jazz18
1st September 2016, 09:17 AM
It gives him an excuse to HO more clubs!!!

Unfortunately, I don't need an excuse! :(

Captain Nemo
1st September 2016, 09:56 AM
It's hard to change bad habits. Besides, what am I supposed to do all weekend if I don't play golf. Hang out with my family? Haha! ;)That's one of my main reasons. I'm at s beautiful course now, it's pleasure to play it and just get out and enjoy the surroundings and serenity!

wazandnic
1st September 2016, 10:08 AM
It's hard to change bad habits. Besides, what am I supposed to do all weekend if I don't play golf. Hang out with my family? Haha! ;)

Right there with ya Rich! :lol:

Hard_Pan
1st September 2016, 11:57 AM
With me golf is (currently), beyond fun, enjoyment or otherwise; it's a passion. Unlike my wife, whose lifelong passion has been horses, my passions have waxed and waned over the years. Five years ago, my passion was motorcycling, prior to that it was cycling and sailing, prior to that again, it was cricket, football. In high school I lived and breathed athletics (discus and shot put). In primary school it was hockey, hockey, hockey.

AndyP
1st September 2016, 12:34 PM
If you are giving up golf because you don't play it as well as you would like to, it seems a bit sooky.

damoocow
1st September 2016, 12:40 PM
If you are giving up golf because you don't play it as well as you would like to, it seems a bit sooky.

LOL, go and have a Fosters...

BrisWesty
1st September 2016, 07:27 PM
Having played 36 holes in 2 years, I guess I have given up golf without realising it.

Jazz18
1st September 2016, 11:11 PM
That's one of my main reasons. I'm at s beautiful course now, it's pleasure to play it and just get out and enjoy the surroundings and serenity!

Been thinking about a change in membership myself. Been at RP for the best part of 10 years now so might need some new scenery soon.

Right there with ya Rich! :lol:

We definitely need to grab a game soon mate!

davepuppies
2nd September 2016, 06:51 AM
Been thinking about a change in membership myself. Been at RP for the best part of 10 years now so might need some new scenery soon.

We definitely need to grab a game soon mate!

Ryde parramatta?

Such a great course!

markTHEblake
3rd September 2016, 08:27 AM
Golf is one of the great pastimes that brings people together, just think of all the friends you would not have if you did not play, including everyone met through this forum. Sit down and think of your greatest golf memories, and each one of those will have been a time shared with other people, and not your own shots and scores. We humans receive our greatest joys from relationships not flushed drives.

Give your self a smack in the head and get out onto the golf course,and remember why it's great to be there.

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 08:34 AM
Golf is one of the great pastimes that brings people together, just think of all the friends you would not have if you did not play, including everyone met through this forum. Sit down and think of your greatest golf memories, and each one of those will have been a time shared with other people, and not your own shots and scores. We humans receive our greatest joys from relationships not flushed drives.

Give your self a smack in the head and get out onto the golf course,and remember why it's great to be there.p

Where's the like button!!

AndyP
3rd September 2016, 08:40 AM
There are other things that serve the same purpose.

Dotty
3rd September 2016, 09:05 AM
Amen, Brother Blakey.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/10871-My-name-is-Blakey-and-I-m-becoming-a-Lawn-Bowler

AndyP
3rd September 2016, 09:41 AM
Amen, Brother Blakey.

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/10871-My-name-is-Blakey-and-I-m-becoming-a-Lawn-Bowler
Nice find.

goughy
3rd September 2016, 09:53 AM
That is pretty funny. Mtb's right, but that is hilarious.

Jazz18
3rd September 2016, 11:25 AM
Ryde parramatta?

Such a great course!

Yeah it is a great course but it's like anything else I guess. Do it for long enough and you need a change. Been a couple of other things going on at the club too that may warrant a change, but we'll see.

3Puttpete
3rd September 2016, 11:37 AM

Give your self a smack in the head and get out onto the golf course,and remember why it's great to be there.

We clearly play golf with different people.

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 12:55 PM
We clearly play golf with different people.
Speaking of, where is the big hairy bunny?

BayBum
3rd September 2016, 02:10 PM
Who is MTB's dad ?

That's what I came away with from reading that thread lol.

3Puttpete
3rd September 2016, 03:58 PM
Speaking of, where is the big hairy bunny?

Not here. This a golf thread. For golfers

Johnny Canuck
3rd September 2016, 03:59 PM
Who is MTB's dad ?

That's what I came away with from reading that thread lol.

He runs Aussie Custom Golf.

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 04:04 PM
Not here. This a golf thread. For golfers Has he given up?

3Puttpete
3rd September 2016, 04:07 PM
Has he given up?

Yep. All done

AndyP
3rd September 2016, 04:13 PM
He's a lot smarter than he looks, which still isn't that smart really.

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 04:24 PM
Yep. All donetell the big poof to grow a pair

3Puttpete
3rd September 2016, 05:30 PM
tell the big poof to grow a pair

Have done a million times. Do you have anything for me to pass on about golf?

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 07:50 PM
Have done a million times. Do you have anything for me to pass on about golf? No

Coldtopper
3rd September 2016, 07:50 PM
Before giving up has anyone tried beta blockers? Or got any performance enhancing chemicals that can help spare? I have a contact but isn't returning emails atm.

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 07:55 PM
Before giving up has anyone tried beta blockers? Or got any performance enhancing chemicals that can help spare? I have a contact but isn't returning emails atm. If you get some let me know... ;)

Coldtopper
3rd September 2016, 08:05 PM
If you get some let me know... ;) group buy Captain? I'm keen on some beta blockers you are sort of like a doctor would they help a fat, retarded, alcoholic in a Saturday ball comp? Keen to try or hear some reviews before giving the game away

Captain Nemo
3rd September 2016, 08:07 PM
I'm out of the medical game these days..There was a young chemist on here a while ago, can't remember his name....?

BayBum
3rd September 2016, 08:54 PM
He runs Aussie Custom Golf. HAHA ! Oh Snap.

AndyP
11th September 2016, 12:58 PM
I just sent a resignation email to my club. :(

dowdsy
11th September 2016, 01:14 PM
Why did you do that?

AndyP
11th September 2016, 01:23 PM
I've played two competition rounds there, plus three at other courses, in this current membership year, which is about to end, so paying for another year is a waste of money. I'll just get a cheap handicap maintenance membership now for the rare round that I will play.

dowdsy
11th September 2016, 01:40 PM
I've played two competition rounds there, plus three at other courses, in this current membership year, which is about to end, so paying for another year is a waste of money. I'll just get a cheap handicap maintenance membership now for the rare round that I will play.
Yeah, that's fair enough. Not getting you monies worth there.

LoveGolf2012
11th September 2016, 02:06 PM
Think I'm going to do the same when my current runs out at Northern.Love the course,just a few tossers do my head in,no idea people!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dowdsy
11th September 2016, 02:24 PM
Still got those apex pros lovegolf? :)

LoveGolf2012
11th September 2016, 02:34 PM
Sure do re shafted and [emoji106]

3Puttpete
11th September 2016, 04:35 PM

Doesn't not paying serve the same purpose?

AndyP
11th September 2016, 05:33 PM
Is it old fashioned of me to send resignation in writing to the secretary manager as stated in the fixture book?

damoocow
11th September 2016, 06:14 PM
Is it old fashioned of me to send resignation in writing to the secretary manager as stated in the fixture book?

Do they offer the choice of 'leave of absence'?

AndyP
11th September 2016, 06:36 PM
Do they offer the choice of 'leave of absence'?
I haven't seen it, but since there isn't any nomination fee, there wouldn't be much point.

Grumpy8
11th September 2016, 07:32 PM
Think I'm going to do the same when my current runs out at Northern.Love the course,just a few tossers do my head in,no idea people!

I have met a couple of Northern members and would have to agree with you based on that small sample

goughy
11th September 2016, 08:53 PM

At my club, if you officially resign, then you can rejoin the club at a later date without having to pay the nomination fee, as long as you haven't joined another club in the meantime. So it makes it worth it.

3oneday
12th September 2016, 08:08 AM
Played golf with a guy yesterday who first joined the club in 1948. You know the age when their head is shaking, hands are shaking, pretty old.

Made 3 pars, pleasure to play with.

goughy
12th September 2016, 08:40 AM
How's mtb's lawn bowls going?

Coopers Country
12th September 2016, 11:09 AM
Played golf with a guy yesterday who first joined the club in 1948. You know the age when their head is shaking, hands are shaking, pretty old.

Made 3 pars, pleasure to play with.

Reminds me of when I was a junior played with an old gentleman who was 91 , shot his age and had 45 stableford points , I was amazed as a 17 year old , didn't hit em far but always pure and straight
Still one of my most enjoyable rounds and one of the few I can remember from way back then , and still one of the nicest guys I ever met
Cheers Bob

oldracer
12th September 2016, 11:14 AM

Made 3 pars, pleasure to play with.sounds like a regular saturday morning after friday night :shock:

WBennett
12th September 2016, 12:14 PM
Reminds me of when I was a junior played with an old gentleman who was 91 , shot his age and had 45 stableford points , I was amazed as a 17 year old , didn't hit em far but always pure and straight
Still one of my most enjoyable rounds and one of the few I can remember from way back then , and still one of the nicest guys I ever met
Cheers Bob

I played with a 75 year old a few years back who 3 jagged 18 to shoot 76. He old age goal was to shoot his age... I hope he has made it.

Ferrins
12th September 2016, 06:23 PM
I played with a 75 year old a few years back who 3 jagged 18 to shoot 76. He old age goal was to shoot his age... I hope he has made it.

Nike putter?