PDA

View Full Version : Golf - the game for everyone

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 08:49 AM
I'm going to have a bit of a whinge.... not about anything on this site..(:roll:)

Played yesterday with a 36 handicapper, who was about 110 in the shade. It was a good day out and didn't play too badly - and i was paired with her which made it more fun. But by 12-13 holes we were falling behind the group in front, and we were 150 metres up the fairway from the old duck (not even her son was waiting for her).

The handicapping system in golf works well, but when you've got a 30+ handicapper, it means they are expected to take 20-30 more shots to get around the course. Now when these players have to navigate a hilly course, set up and strike the ball that many more times, is there any wonder why 5-hour rounds are the norm?

Mind you, i'm not sure what can be done, they are all fair paying members. Perhaps a (local) rule needs to come into play whereby the course is marked with a line 50/100/150 metres out from the green, and if they aren't across that line by 'x' shots, they must pick up?

amanda
21st June 2004, 10:15 AM
Fishy - did you try and talk to her about how you were falling behind? I make comments like "we'd better walk faster between shots or we are going to fall even further behind" and people tend to get the drift.

On a side note - we played our stroke round yesterday in 4 hours and 10 minutes - pretty good for high handicapping ladies! We started out as the 3rd group (2 groups in front were also ladies playing stroke rounds) and there were 2 more following - the guys behind the last group (who were playing stableford) actually fell behind!

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 10:27 AM
Amanda, she had her (40 year old?) son in the group who was getting fired up about pretty much anything, so the other 2 of us stayed well out of it. As i said, she must have been nearly 100 years old, so there's only so much 'hurrying up' you can do. Add to that Gordon GC is a very hilly course.

To be fair we had the group in front of us dissappear (??? :shock:) after 9, so it looked even worse for us - slow play and all of a sudden an empty hole between ourselves and the group in front.

amanda
21st June 2004, 11:01 AM
When you said old I didn't realise she was that old! Maybe you should have offered her a piggy back :wink:

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 11:04 AM
When you said old I didn't realise she was that old! Maybe you should have offered her a piggy back :wink:

I was tempted but she had enough trouble pushing her buggy up the hills, let alone carrying another 100 kg... :smt043 :smt044 :smt081

Oh, cut it out.... [-X :smt102

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 08:29 AM
A suggestion I have noticed in other threads is to separate the time sheet into blocks, such that the ladies or high handicappers can only tee off at certain times.

Golfgirl
25th June 2004, 08:00 PM
Fishy

We really don't stand for slow play up here...particularly the old female choppers. We have been known to ship them off south of the border down to retirement areas like Shellharbour ! :roll:

Grrr..... lucky that I am not old, or a chopper (much :roll: ) or I would be mad at you, 69...... :twisted: :wink:

goughy
25th June 2004, 09:56 PM

I was tempted but she had enough trouble pushing her buggy up the hills, let alone carrying another 100 kg... :smt043 :smt044 :smt081

Oh, cut it out.... [-X :smt102

Fishman Dan at his best. Take a bow =D>

goughy
25th June 2004, 10:04 PM
A suggestion I have noticed in other threads is to separate the time sheet into blocks, such that the ladies or high handicappers can only tee off at certain times.

But how would you feel if you were not permitted to tee off at your preferred time because you were not good enough. Unfotunately a high hc dosen't always equate to slow play. Ask jaster about the morning group we encounter often. We were standing on the tee early about a week ago waiting for enough light to tee off. A group of 3 (non under 50) asked us if we were gonna hold them up. And they were serious.

I've seen some good players who were shocking slow. Worst case I've seen, 2 players from the first group of the day (I was in the second group of 4) were still standing on the 14th tee box talking when we had finished the 13th and were walking to the 14th tee.

What the clubs need to do is actually start to single out the offenders and start doing something about it.

I played a few weeks ago with a 27 marker who scored 18 points yet blazed around the course. He didn't see the need for practice swings. Felt he might waste his one good one.

AndyP
26th June 2004, 07:40 AM
What the clubs need to do is actually start to single out the offenders and start doing something about it.
So you want people to name names. :twisted:

He didn't see the need for practice swings. Felt he might waste his one good one.
I use the same theory. I don't usually have practice swings, except for chips.

Golfgirl
26th June 2004, 10:41 AM
Quote:

He didn't see the need for practice swings. Felt he might waste his one good one.

I use the same theory. I don't usually have practice swings, except for chips.

ME TOO!!!! :shock: :lol: