PDA

View Full Version : Sydneysiders - Brad Hughes Lesson - Sat 16 March

matty
2nd January 2013, 08:45 PM
Brad is giving lessons on Saturday 16th March at Twin Creeks GC. Brad won the Australian Masters in '93 and '98 and still holds the tournament record.

After emailing him I have organised lessons in small groups for us. We get a heavily reduced price of $110 per person for 90 minutes.
I think a couple of groups of ozgolfers would be fun. Very good value in my book.

See link to his website. The link is from page 5, where he goes in to his thoughts on the swing. What he promotes is exactly what I'm concentrating at the moment.
http://www.bradleyhughesgolf.com/Page_5.html

Add your name to the list or PM me to let me know anytime if you want to join us.

Saturday 16/3 1-2.30pm
1) Jack
2) Matty
3) Cheatstick
4) Rqrox

Saturday 16/3 2.45-4.15pm
1) Liptout
2) KristianJ
3) TS
4) Dotty

Dangals
2nd January 2013, 09:56 PM
1) Matty
2) Dangals

matty
3rd January 2013, 10:08 AM
1) Matty
2) Dangals
3) Cheatstick

rqrox
3rd January 2013, 07:05 PM
1) Matty
2) Dangals
3) Cheatstick
4) Rqrox

liptout
3rd January 2013, 08:25 PM
1) Matty
2) Dangals
3) Cheatstick
4) Rqrox
5) Liptout

matty
3rd January 2013, 09:07 PM
Now that we have a group of five I have requested either a Saturday afternoon time (16th March) or a Sunday morning time on the 17th. Will let you know when the times are confirmed.

rqrox
3rd January 2013, 09:28 PM
Perfect!

matty
5th January 2013, 05:02 PM
The time of our lesson is 1.30-3pm Saturday 16th March.

KristianJ
5th January 2013, 09:22 PM
1) Matty
2) Dangals
3) Cheatstick
4) Rqrox
5) Liptout
6) KristianJ

I assume there's still room given that the rate you quoted is for 5-8 people.

matty
5th January 2013, 09:33 PM
Yeah mate, will be 8 in the group.

Jono
5th January 2013, 10:36 PM
Yeah mate, will be 8 in the group. Isn't it better to have two groups of four? Same rate and more face to face teaching time.

matty
6th January 2013, 06:40 AM
You're right. I'll wait until they're is 8 of us and request a second time and see if it works for four of us.

Does your concern mean you are no.7?

Stuartd147
6th January 2013, 11:53 AM
1) Matty
2) Dangals
3) Cheatstick
4) Rqrox
5) Liptout
6) KristianJ
7) Stuartd147

PerryGroves
6th January 2013, 12:29 PM
Good luck with the lesson boys, I googled mapped it and its 80km from my place (one way), easier for me to go to Melbourne.

Looks like Brad is still working "Lags"module stuff. They both used to post on ISG until the brains trust chased them away. Whilst they had certain views, was fantastic to have two guys of their calibre to ask about things, site massively poorer for their absence.

TS
6th January 2013, 02:31 PM
Hi Matt.

Please put me down me for one of the spot.

TS

matty
6th January 2013, 04:53 PM
No worries TS,

1) Matty
2) Dangals
3) Cheatstick
4) Rqrox
5) Liptout
6) KristianJ
7) Stuartd147
8 ) TS

I'll contact Brad and try to split this group into two with a time slot either side of the one we have now. I'll also enquire about a third block in case another four want to join us by then.

Jono
6th January 2013, 07:56 PM
You're right. I'll wait until they're is 8 of us and request a second time and see if it works for four of us.

Does your concern mean you are no.7?

Matty, I'd like to but I'll be working both Saturdays and Sundays for a while.

matty
6th January 2013, 07:57 PM
Perry, what is Lags module stuff?
Why were the chased away? Surely not over differences of opinion on the swing!

matty
6th January 2013, 08:01 PM
Matty, I'd like to but I'll be working both Saturdays and Sundays for a while.

That's no good. Reckon you would of enjoyed it.

matty
7th January 2013, 10:08 AM
The original time has moved forward half an hour. Hopefully it's not a problem for Dangals and Rqrox. Payment to be paid in cash on the day.

Dangals
7th January 2013, 11:24 AM
that's all good with me Matty - looking forward to it!

rqrox
9th January 2013, 08:16 PM
All good for me also,
wonder if we can a round in before hand?

Dangals
9th January 2013, 09:44 PM
All good for me also,wonder if we can a round in before hand? Happy to do Richmond prior if we can't sort anything else out

rqrox
10th January 2013, 07:18 PM
Im sure liptout would be up for that as well.

liptout
10th January 2013, 09:16 PM
You bet your bushy balls I would be!! ;)

-FIGJAM-
1st February 2013, 08:54 AM
put me down for the Saturday.

matty
1st February 2013, 11:11 AM
Done.

Two spots left for Sundee morning.

-FIGJAM-
10th February 2013, 09:16 AM
Matty,

I have to pull out of this on Sunday, work commitments.

Sorry,

uahmad
13th February 2013, 11:11 AM
hey gents, long time since ive been active here but after watching a couple youtube videos I think i might get in on the act.
Put me down for Sunday morning!

Also going to go back to Cumberland after the lesson to play a comp round, if anyone is interested to join me just let me know and ill put you down.

matty
13th February 2013, 06:19 PM
You're in uahmad. Rostering updated. One spot free on the Saturday, 2 on the sunday.

For all concerned, feel free to bring a mate or family member to fill the last three spots.

uahmad
16th February 2013, 07:08 PM
whats the latest? how did the lesson go for those who attended today?

liptout
16th February 2013, 07:18 PM
Your a month to early dude.......

At least I hope you are, or I'm gona be a month late!! :)

matty
18th February 2013, 10:15 PM
whats the latest? how did the lesson go for those who attended today?

So does that mean you thought the lesson was on but didn't show?

fishing_mad
19th February 2013, 12:02 AM
On an unrelated topic, nice to see Brad playing some good golf of late, still one of the best ballstrikers I've ever seen. Remember watching him at Windaroo in the QLD Open as a kid (94/95 maybe?). Had about 230m in to the first of the 5's on the back, pulled an iron and I assumed he was laying up and proceeded to knock it to kick in distance. It's one of the more memorable shots I've ever witnessed.

uahmad
19th February 2013, 11:31 AM
Nah, i saw the message before i headed down there on Sunday! Lucky.
I will be there, I have time on my hand now and looking to rebuild a swing and find a descent coach i can work with for a period of time.
Is it worth seeing him first before looking into his drills if anyone has done that?

Captain Nemo
19th February 2013, 12:45 PM
I will be there, I have time on my hand now and looking to rebuild a swing and find a descent coach i can work with for a period of time.
Is it worth seeing him first before looking into his drills if anyone has done that?
Ozzie, good to see you back mate!
Should catch up for a hit one day.

uahmad
19th February 2013, 01:08 PM
Ozzie, good to see you back mate!
Should catch up for a hit one day.
Hey mate! i know its been a long time, but now that the business is up and running and few staff on board I'm finding i don't have to work all through my weekends! Might even be able to sneak in a midweek golf comp round in the mornings!

Lets catch up soon!

Captain Nemo
19th February 2013, 01:12 PM
Yep, sounds good.
Have you joined up anywhere?

uahmad
19th February 2013, 01:39 PM
Been a member at Cumberland for a while, i paid yearly fees last year and didnt play 1 round there!!
This year is a different story, trying to get my money's worth.
You still a member at Kograh?

uahmad
20th February 2013, 01:31 PM

Well anyone? anyone seen brad hughes already previously? cant even see any reviews on him apart from the banter on ISG?

matty
21st February 2013, 09:03 AM
I don't know of anyone who has seen him personally. A google search finds a few threads on forums about guys who have had lessons with him and/or purchased online reviews etc. Guys who don't like or agree with a swing based on Ben Hogan won't like his teaching too much.

I sent him a vid of my swing to analyse. He sent back his response and a few drills. It's been working. That's all I can say. It's taken work. I've had to correct a throwing motion which I still struggle with.

8 of my last 12 rounds are flagged. I've dropped from 8 to a new low now of 4.5. One game in the next 10 that I play at 6 over or better drops me to playing hcap of 4. Unheard of for me and what I thought would be impossible. Sometimes I still feel like I'm playing ugly (last game at Penrith with the ozgolfers) but it doesn't become really bad.

You could think about a video analysis from him before the lesson if you want to start working on something. He should have it back within a week.

hardboiled
21st February 2013, 09:48 AM
I've had 2 lessons with Brad here in Melbourne.

Can highly recommend him. After doing his drills for a couple of months my iron ball striking has improved heaps.

mrbluu
21st February 2013, 05:27 PM
I don't know of anyone who has seen him personally. A google search finds a few threads on forums about guys who have had lessons with him and/or purchased online reviews etc. Guys who don't like or agree with a swing based on Ben Hogan won't like his teaching too much.

I sent him a vid of my swing to analyse. He sent back his response and a few drills. It's been working. That's all I can say. It's taken work. I've had to correct a throwing motion which I still struggle with.

8 of my last 12 rounds are flagged. I've dropped from 8 to a new low now of 4.5. One game in the next 10 that I play at 6 over or better drops me to playing hcap of 4. Unheard of for me and what I thought would be impossible. Sometimes I still feel like I'm playing ugly (last game at Penrith with the ozgolfers) but it doesn't become really bad.

You could think about a video analysis from him before the lesson if you want to start working on something. He should have it back within a week.

I wouldn't call shooting 2 over your handicap ugly!!!

matty
21st February 2013, 10:30 PM
Neither would I! But you have to admit it was scrappy.

mrbluu
21st February 2013, 10:50 PM
Take the positive out of it bro, if you keep thinking you are playing scrappy then you think scrappy. Just think a bunch of shots didn't got according to plan....when more shots go to plan, then you'll shoot the lights out!!!

PerryGroves
24th February 2013, 03:45 PM
B Hughes going well in the Vic Open, leading with 9 to play.

Dangals
6th March 2013, 09:19 AM
Hate to do this but I have to withdraw from this due to unforeseen circumstances . I am really disappointed as I was looking forward to getting some advice from Brad on improving my swing.

Best of luck to all who attend and sorry again to Matty - I hope this doesn't cause an issue for you.

matty
6th March 2013, 09:30 AM
Guys, we have two groups of four now that Dangals is out. Just remember that if someone else pulls out they make that group cost go up per person.

KristianJ
6th March 2013, 05:26 PM
No intent of a withdrawal here. :)

matty
12th March 2013, 07:33 PM
Uahmad has pulled out at this very late stage. I tell you what, it'll be the last time I organise something like this. I feel bad for everyone and for Brad. He gets stuffed around and we're faced with a larger group.

I emailed Brad to see if he wants to combine the two groups in to one of 7 to keep cost down. Uahmad pulling out would most likely cost the other 3 more. We'll see what he comes back with.

TS
12th March 2013, 08:21 PM
Uahmad has pulled out at this very late stage. I tell you what, it'll be the last time I organise something like this. I feel bad for everyone and for Brad. He gets stuffed around and we're faced with a larger group.

I emailed Brad to see if he wants to combine the two groups in to one of 7 to keep cost down. Uahmad pulling out would most likely cost the other 3 more. We'll see what he comes back with.

Hi Matt

Don't let one guy spoil the good work that you are doing in organizing the lesson. The rest of us appreciated what you are doing.

Depend on how the others feel, I am happy to pay more if there are only 3 of us in the group.

I am also ok if everyone feel it is better to have a group of 7 instead.

backintheswing
12th March 2013, 08:23 PM
You may get another sydneysider to join in as well.

matty
12th March 2013, 08:39 PM
Thanks TS. Yes BITS, you never know. I suppose TS can discuss it with the KristianJ and Liptout on the day. Brad will probably not be able to fill anyway between now and then.

matty
12th March 2013, 09:03 PM
Got a reply from Brad-:

Matt
Whatever works best. We could probably do all 7 at once ... just may be a little more down time between what I discuss as I work along the group of 7 as compared individually working with a smaller group of 4. But should work fine

As we said. On the day we can still split up if a few want to throw up a bit more coin or we're all together.

KristianJ
12th March 2013, 09:15 PM
I've got a few vehicle expense claims to put in tomorrow at work...will be happy to pay a little more to have the smaller group.

Might see if I can find a mate who can take the spot on short notice as well.

liptout
12th March 2013, 09:23 PM
If its gona make life easier for all, I don't mind taking my name off if it ends up being cheaper (or easier) for all concerned......

I'm not saying I want too, but I will for everyone's benefit if needed.......

matty
12th March 2013, 09:25 PM
See how you go. I'll let Brad know there might be a second group again. Have to play it by ear.

matty
12th March 2013, 09:26 PM
If its gona make life easier for all, I don't mind taking my name off if it ends up being cheaper (or easier) for all concerned......

I'm not saying I want too, but I will for everyone's benefit if needed.......

Nah. Don't do that. Not worth missing out. KristianJ may have a mate. If not we'll work it out on the day or by Friday at the latest.

liptout
12th March 2013, 09:38 PM
Cool..... I'd rather not pull out, it should be fun.

Dotty
13th March 2013, 12:47 PM
Matty, if no-one else wants it, then I'll grab the 8th spot on Saturday.

KristianJ
13th March 2013, 12:52 PM
Matty, if no-one else wants it, then I'll grab the 8th spot on Saturday. All yours.. I haven't had any luck with my asking so far.

matty
13th March 2013, 01:54 PM
That's great Dotty. You're in. 2-45-415pm. I'll let Brad know.

TS
13th March 2013, 04:40 PM
Dotty, the lesson should be fun.

We should try to organize a game somewhere in Sat morning.

Dotty
13th March 2013, 05:14 PM
Dotty, the lesson should be fun.

We should try to organize a game somewhere in Sat morning.
Unfortunately, I'm working Friday night, and any problem will write off Sat. morning for me.

KristianJ
15th March 2013, 06:05 PM
Can someone please bring a R9/R11/910/Razr Fit tool tomorrow. I want to adjust the setting on the 910D3 I'm getting off Matt to B3 or C3 and can't find my spare R11 tool.

matty
15th March 2013, 07:03 PM
I'll see if I can find my razr fit tool. Didn't know they work on a titleist.

matty
16th March 2013, 05:15 PM
Sorry Kristian, totally forgot about the tool.

Enjoyed the lesson. Nothing beats seeing it in the flesh. Had been working on a few drills but today made things a lot clearer.

The two main things I took away today was one, how to drop it in the slot. This was a revelation and should get rid of the OTT crap. Secondly, how important the finish is. I know I can only get to a certain finish position if the rest was okay. I look forward to cementing those two things. The rest I felt pretty good about after sending my swing vid in and having certain drills come back a couple of months back.

Brad's a good bloke and explained it in very simple terms, but best of all, why something works. It was funny seeing the lightbulb go off in everyone's head when they got it.

KristianJ
16th March 2013, 05:22 PM
Couldn't agree with your summation more, Matt. I was doing a lot of nodding as we got to the 4th stage...it was helpful looking at it starting from the impact position as opposed to beginning from the beginning.

I'd seen a couple of the vids a few weeks ago, but as you said, nothing beats looking at it in the flesh and getting feedback as you're putting it all into practice.

And all good about the tool...I hit 3 balls with it and all of them had a very confident looking ball flight. So A1 will be fine for now. :)

liptout
18th March 2013, 07:06 PM
Thanks for organizing it Matty, was a fun couple of hours.....

I got the shanks late in the lesson when we were hitting full shots, but that had nothing at all to do with the coach, was all 'user error'!! :)
(trying to think to much and taking things to literally)

Certainly shows a simple way to stop coming over the top.....

Thanks again mate, appreciate it.

rqrox
18th March 2013, 07:19 PM
Although not fantastic, I played at Lynwood the day after and used the " swing" for every shot and shot 32 points. The second nine I had 19 points but the part I was happy with was the iron striking was good but was still very good on miss hits. Could not hit a driver to save myself hitting every thing with a closed face!!

KristianJ
23rd March 2013, 09:19 PM
Been working on getting it in the slot at the range over this past week. Something's slowly starting to groove, but haven't yet had the chance to take it out on course yet.

Plus I shot Brad an email after he'd mentioned some other stuff that he would email if we were interested in it...got some more in depth stuff for drill 1 that will serve as good revision.

matty
24th April 2013, 07:19 AM
Myself and a couple of others are seeing Brad for private lessons this time. He's up from May 1-11. Check his website, page 5, for details if interested.

mrbluu
17th August 2019, 09:49 AM
Anyone currently getting lessons from BH??

Captain Nemo
17th August 2019, 11:20 AM
Bwahahaha, seriously!

Jono
5th December 2019, 09:26 AM
Episode 261 of NLU podcast with Brendon Todd paints Brad Hughes in a very good light. Worth a listen.

mrbluu
5th December 2019, 10:21 AM
Episode 261 of NLU podcast with Brendon Todd paints Brad Hughes in a very good light. Worth a listen.Yeah it was a good listen.