PDA

View Full Version : i can putt again

mike
20th June 2004, 09:44 PM
After going thru the worst and longest case of the yips I've ever had, I've worked it out.
On friday's u.s. open coverage they showed highlights of past opens and I noticed Nicklaus and Palmer used to crouch low over their putts. I thought hey if it works for them...
Went to the practice green friday at dusk and tried it out. Hmmm, not bad. I'm bending more at the waste and have the ball further back and have my hands further away from my waste. It somehow allows me to have a straighter back and thru swing, gone is that dreaded figure 8 backswing I had .
Tried it out in the first 2 rounds of the club champs on the weekend. Never putted better.
Only one 3 putt in 36 holes. Only 24 putts today. Only missed one putt all weekend that was under 8 ft.

Don't need that Scotty now.

McMw
20th June 2004, 10:03 PM
great going!!! :D

I was also watching those one hour specials on the British Opens when the likes of thommo, trevino, nicklaus and watson were at their prime...

I was watching Nicklaus putt, and he had that unique putting stance and style...

anyway...tried it one friday evening - made some decent putts...
played the next day - made some decent putts...
played the comp on sunday - shoot 70, with some decent putts...

but, I've now gone to a cackhanded grip now with my BG Pip-Squeak, and I'm putting the mid-rangers just tat little bit better...

a change is always nice!!!! :wink:

Jarro
21st June 2004, 03:20 AM

well getting one will only make putting even easier mate :wink: :lol:

I've found by going to the shorter 33" putter, i can get my eyes directly over the ball.. which helps me line up better and putt through the ball.

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 08:18 AM

well getting one will only make putting even easier mate

You're kidding aren't you?! :shock:

Mike - keep the head down, smooth stroke, follow through. Don't look at where the putt is until the putter head stops moving - should be atleast 4-6 feet away from you before you see it.