PDA

View Full Version : Some suggestions on how to liven up pro golf

BGH
21st December 2012, 03:57 PM
I have to admit, I agree with just about all of these suggestions

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/764273-how-to-liven-up-pro-golf/

Courty
21st December 2012, 05:05 PM
The All-Star weekend sounds like a made-for-TV event, which I reckon is a great idea. But the other suggestions all have merit also.

3Puttpete
21st December 2012, 06:05 PM
I reckon different formats would work better than an all-star idea. The major selling point of the all-star events for other sports is getting the best players together. Like tennis, it'd be hard for golf to push this angle when they play the same tournaments so often.

markTHEblake
21st December 2012, 08:20 PM
Ban the "Quiet" signs. Let people make as much noise as they like. Loud music, so every hole is a party hole. Golf has no atmosphere so give it some.

IamViva
21st December 2012, 08:37 PM
lpga play topless? hope laura davies is still on tour:D

Monsta
21st December 2012, 08:45 PM
Happy Gilmore style golf......

dan
21st December 2012, 08:47 PM
I like the idea of the pro's putting in their own money. A sort of poker style golf tournament.

I agree that no one cares who wins the Prez cup. But the other ideas do sound gimmicky....skills test and flop shot contests is side show stuff.

virge666
21st December 2012, 10:20 PM
Shot Clock !

None of that really appeals to me...

timah!
21st December 2012, 10:34 PM
Shot Clock !

This ^^

Lobsta
21st December 2012, 10:40 PM
Contact speed golf.

Both tee off simultaneously. Person with the lowest time to get the ball in the hole wins. 30 sec penalty for each stroke over par. 20 second shot clock that starts when you are within a 1m radius of the ball. After the shot clock expires, you can be tackled by your opponent. Being tackled counts as a stroke.

sol381
22nd December 2012, 07:41 AM
anyone else had problems getting on to the golfwrx site.. every time i try and access it my firewall blocks it saying "clicked on a link that has activated our Security Policies or have attempted to access the site from an untrusted source"..strange

bluescooter
22nd December 2012, 09:02 AM
Put Big dinosaurs on every tee box and have them roar if they take too long to tee off. Oh wait some tool has already done that.

meh
22nd December 2012, 10:24 AM
This ^^

Agreed.

Webster
22nd December 2012, 10:27 AM
Strippers on every tee.

CobraSS
22nd December 2012, 11:23 AM
Replace their caddies with the The Caddy Girls (http://www.thecaddygirls.com/page.asp?page_id=golf)

rubin
22nd December 2012, 11:31 AM
Strippers on every tee.

Everyone will be playing with x-stiff shafts

Webster
22nd December 2012, 11:39 AM
I'd like see a WGC event at Pine Valley or Royal Melbourne. $10m purse. No titanium. No wedges lofted more than 56 degrees. No hybrids. Max of 10 clubs in the bag. All woods must be persimmon. They can use whatever irons they like. Eveyone plays with the circa 1998 Titleist Tour Professional/Balata or similar wound balls only.

I wanna see who has the ability to best adapt their game to classic equipment. It would be great to watch.

Marto65
22nd December 2012, 12:43 PM
I'd like see a WGC event at Pine Valley or Royal Melbourne. $10m purse. No titanium. No wedges lofted more than 56 degrees. No hybrids. Max of 10 clubs in the bag. All woods must be persimmon. They can use whatever irons they like. Eveyone plays with the circa 1998 Titleist Tour Professional/Balata or similar wound balls only.

I wanna see who has the ability to best adapt their game to classic equipment. It would be great to watch.

+ infinity.

dc68
22nd December 2012, 12:59 PM

This would be awesome.

Webster
22nd December 2012, 01:29 PM
I would be glued to the telly for all 4 days.

There are just too many pointless US Tour events with crap fields on rubbish TPC courses. They play for bucketloads of money and yet nobody cares. Less events, more variety in the way they are played, more money to the winner and less players making the cut.

Marto65
22nd December 2012, 02:47 PM
I would be glued to the telly for all 4 days.

There are just too many pointless US Tour events with crap fields on rubbish TPC courses. They play for bucketloads of money and yet nobody cares. Less events, more variety in the way they are played, more money to the winner and less players making the cut.

I've just cast a vote for you for Tour Commissioner.

Feelzy
22nd December 2012, 06:40 PM

Fantastic idea. I would fully support the event and be glued to the course every minute.

Broomstick
22nd December 2012, 06:51 PM

What about the putters ???. :razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:.

Long putters have been legal for many years now, Ummm 25 years , they would have to be able to be used. :razz::razz::razz::razz::razz::razz:.

Hooker
22nd December 2012, 07:18 PM
BaHa BaHa Ba Ha , can't stop laughing.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Webster
22nd December 2012, 07:23 PM
How about a tournament with long putters only? That'd be great to watch.

BenM
22nd December 2012, 07:40 PM
anyone else had problems getting on to the golfwrx site.. every time i try and access it my firewall blocks it saying "clicked on a link that has activated our Security Policies or have attempted to access the site from an untrusted source"..strange

I will read the rest of the thread later on but yes, I used to always have this issue - I emailed them and gave them my IP and told them to allow it (I have a static IP at home). They never replied but I haven't had any issues accessing it for a couple of months now so I assume they fixed it.

Chris32
1st January 2013, 03:22 PM
They need to make it watchable for the average punter. I hate watching most golf on tv because all you see isblokes putting!

Launch monitors on every tee, with a track of the ball flight from behind for every shot, just so you can see what they are trying to do with the ball.

A golf ball that goes about 30% as far, so you see 2-5 iron shots into par 4's

Less rough, encourage some bombing off the tee

Some old school events using the old gear would be cool also

Dotty
1st January 2013, 03:31 PM
Televise the ACT Xmas Classic. There were six TV worthy personalities playing as one group in the last 5 holes.

And the word 'shank' was shouted more than a whole year's worth of US coverage.

squishy
1st January 2013, 03:48 PM
What they need is track man on the shots so the ave jo can see how they move it. I.e draw to a left pin Fade to a right