PDA

View Full Version : Grips - out with the old... in with the new

oz
31st October 2005, 01:14 PM
After a round in appalling weather yesterday, I've taken the clubs to the pro today for re-gripping.

The offending clubs were driver - Stock TM Grip (the Golf Pride Victory type) and the irons (Golf Pride Softies). But even the new putter (which had a factory Srixon wrap grip - Winn Style) was bad. It was like trying to putt with a bar of soap in your hands.

Now, the Softie is one of the best dry weather grips I've ever used, but it was no good in the wet yesterday.

And what is replacing all of these, I hear you ask?

Lamkin Crossline Cord. Simple. Effective. Hard wearing.

Wedges and FW's already have cord grips, so they won't be done this time 'round.

Should be right to pick up tomorrow night. :)

McMw
31st October 2005, 02:34 PM
as long as it's not a winn or a softie or a tour wrap, anything else should be fine in the wet....

oz
31st October 2005, 02:40 PM
Yeah. I couldn't believe how bad the Srixon (Winn) putter grip was in the wet.

I have played cord before, and I like the firm feel of the cord.

McMw
31st October 2005, 02:49 PM
the new oddie white steel red grip and the ping putter blue grips are TERRIBLE!!!

Matt 3 Jab
31st October 2005, 06:56 PM
Cord all the way, great all year round and in all weather :)

freddy a
31st October 2005, 07:09 PM
I have the Golf Pride Softie in full cord and I find it very good in all conditions.

oz
31st October 2005, 11:00 PM
freddy_a, I have the Softie cord on my wedges, and it is very good, but the rest of my irons had the standard Softie.... and it was crap in the wet. I should have been more specific. :)

Jarro
1st November 2005, 05:55 AM
GolfPride Tour Velvets ...... i'd put one on my toothbrush if the missus would let me :smt023 :mrgreen:

drunken
1st November 2005, 06:13 AM
Jarro we don't want to know where else you'd put it either...

BrisVegas
1st November 2005, 08:25 AM
GolfPride Tour Velvets ...... i'd put one on my toothbrush if the missus would let me  :smt023  :mrgreen:

yep, I'm a convert. Best grip Ive ever used. I can see why so many pros use them. 8)

oz
1st November 2005, 09:41 AM
I like the Tour Velvets. Had them on a set of Cleveland's once. Very nice. But I need the extra peace of mind of teh cord grip.

FWIW - I grip the club pretty lightly, and moisture between grip and hand seems to make it very hard for me to maintain control of the club. A couple of other guys in my group, who grip a lot more firmly, didn't have as many problems as I did.

Webster
1st November 2005, 10:13 AM
If you use Tour Velvets you have to look after them. A light srcub with a scouring pad and detergent every half a dozen rounds keeps them nice and tacky, with the added bonus that when they get wet they get even tackier. They are the best grips by a mile and I wouldn't use anything else.

jaster
1st November 2005, 10:42 AM
I agree with all that is said above about the TVs...unfortunately with my chemo I am sweating excessively so have gone to the stock GP M580 Corded Titleist grips but the TVs will be back on the clubs soon enough 8)

oz
2nd November 2005, 04:56 PM
Got them back last night. They feel great. Nice job, too. Unfortunately for me :( , they won't see the course for a couple of days, due to work commitments.... :(