PDA

View Full Version : Taylormade TP5 v Bridgestone E6

Hatchman
11th December 2012, 02:25 AM
Had a hit Monday morning before starting afternoon shift. Went out onto my home track and played two balls (the joys of playing at a club in a small country town).
I found a Bridgestone E6 a few months ago that looked like it had been lost off the first tee shot of the day. To make my two ball round interesting I played the E6 and my normal gamer TP5 to compare. The results were interesting.

One a couple of holes I hit some big bombs for tee shots with the driver with both ball finishing on the fairway. The E6 was a good 15m longer than the TP5 on these occasions and 5-10m longer for most of the others.
Off the driver you could feel the E6 was a firmer ball, not so much with the irons.
It was very blowy day which is good for ball comparisons as to what they do into the wind more than anything else. The E6 and TP had good penetrating ball flights that did not balloon into the wind. Deviation with cross winds was the same also.
Full blooded mid to short irons into the greens held ok with the E6 but no way near as good as the TP5. Irons were only about 5m longer than the TP5.
The same was noticeable with full and 3/4 wedge shots.
Chips and pitches did not check up with the E6 like the TP5. I had to allow for another 4-6 feet of run out with the E6.
I didn't notice any notable difference in feel with the putter apart from the E6 lipping out 6 times v 0 with the TP. Hardly the ball or could it be??????

In summary.
The E6 is not too bad a ball that is long off the tee and has adequate spin qualities.

IanO
11th December 2012, 11:23 AM
A mate of mine used to swear by the e6 for the penetrating ball flight. He also did not want a ball that spun too much around the green so it suited him. I personally like the additional spin of the TP5

Daves
11th December 2012, 11:26 AM
A mate of mine used to swear by the e6 for the penetrating ball flight. He also did not want a ball that spun too much around the green so it suited him. I personally like the additional spin of the TP5

The E6 is my ball of choice on very windy days.

Captain Nemo
11th December 2012, 11:30 AM
Totally different balls aimed at totally different markets.
Bit of a difference in compression and cover hardness according to these guys:
http://www.golfballtest.org/

IanO
11th December 2012, 11:35 AM
Totally different balls aimed at totally different markets.
Bit of a difference in compression and cover hardness according to these guys:
http://www.golfballtest.org/

True

dhills2
11th December 2012, 02:05 PM
E6 just doesn't spin enough for my liking but each to their own I guess. I've been using a number of different balls lately in an attempt to find something I like that's not as pricey as a Pro V1... given I'm an absolute chopper who can't justify the use of such an expensive ball. So far I've come to the conclusion that I should buy used Pro V1s and do my best not to lose them :)

Hatchman
11th December 2012, 03:01 PM
E6 just doesn't spin enough for my liking but each to their own I guess. I've been using a number of different balls lately in an attempt to find something I like that's not as pricey as a Pro V1... given I'm an absolute chopper who can't justify the use of such an expensive ball. So far I've come to the conclusion that I should buy used Pro V1s and do my best not to lose them :)

Try the Taylormade Penta TP5. Just as good as the Pro V1 for spin and distance.
The TP5 stays whiter and doesn't scuff up like the Pro V1 and is a fraction of the cost.

Mububban
11th December 2012, 03:25 PM
I like the E6 as it helps to keep me in play, it doesn't spin much but at this stage I'm happy to accomodate the roll I et in exchange for the straightness and distance.

TourFit
11th December 2012, 06:48 PM
The E6 is my ball of choice on very windy days.

Try the Topflite Gamer V2...seriously! Oh, and it spins more than the E6 around the greens.

It may be unfashionable and uncool, but you won't have to mark it because likely no one else in the group will be using one! But it is a seriously good all around ball at an amazing price.

Daves
11th December 2012, 06:56 PM
Try the Topflite Gamer V2...seriously! Oh, and it spins more than the E6 around the greens.

It may be unfashionable and uncool, but you won't have to mark it because likely no one else in the group will be using one! But it is a seriously good all around ball at an amazing price.

Yep, had some of them as well, just hadn't got around to restocking.

dhills2
11th December 2012, 09:54 PM
Try the Taylormade Penta TP5. Just as good as the Pro V1 for spin and distance.
The TP5 stays whiter and doesn't scuff up like the Pro V1 and is a fraction of the cost.

Yeh, I've heard good reviews. Gaming one tomorrow after receiving a half dozen freebies from my gf's old man who got them at last week's pro-am :)

interested_party
11th December 2012, 10:15 PM

I've read lots of good stuff about this ball on O/S forums and would love to try it. However, I've never seen it available in OZ. Who's your dealer?

Peppas
11th December 2012, 10:23 PM
I've read lots of good stuff about this ball on O/S forums and would love to try it. However, I've never seen it available in OZ. Who's your dealer?

I think Squizzys is selling these for about $20 a dozen?

interested_party
11th December 2012, 11:35 PM
I think Squizzys is selling these for about $20 a dozen?

So they do. Thanks mate!

Captain Nemo
12th December 2012, 09:39 AM
Squizzy has AAA 12 pack of Bridgey e6 for $12....

dhills2
12th December 2012, 01:10 PM
Played the TP5 today. I'm really impressed - reports are accurate in that it is a good cheaper alternative to the Pro V1. Feels good off all of my clubs including the putter. Distance adequate off the driver & seemed consistent with my irons, spun like crazy on short irons and full wedge shots & pretty much drops & stops on half wedge shots around the green. Played the one ball the whole way around & it didn't get too scuffed at all... though I think I only found sand once & hit one tree (pretty good for me!). The TP5 performs pretty much how I want a golf ball to perform... will be my new go-to ball until I find something better :)

Mububban
12th December 2012, 03:20 PM
Squizzy has AAA 12 pack of Bridgey e6 for $12....

That's what I got to try, the current model of E6 has dimple in dimple technology (like the Top Flite Gamer V2) but in my dozen I only got one of those, the rest were the previoud model with normal dimples.

Haven't cracked open the Gamer V2s yet, will do so after the E6 are all lost/drowned/played to death.