PDA

View Full Version : My first demo day (hugely long)

goughy
20th June 2004, 07:52 PM
The was finally another demo day at our driving range in toowoomba, held by golfworld. There were clubs there from Adams, Brosnan, Prosimmons, Hogan, Callaway, Nike, Taylormade and Topflite. Jaster and I spent a leasurely 2 hours hitting a variety of different clubs, although not a patch on what was there.

Since I want to shore up the gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron I tried a variety of 5 woods and hybrids. I managed to hit both the tm mid rescue tp 2fw and 3fw with s400 shafts, big bertha 5 wood, tm v steel 5 wood and the new tm rescue fairway 5. All the 5 woods had regular graphite shafts. After hitting all these, I came to the conclusion that a 5 wood is gonna be in the bag in the new future.

I went there with the pre-conception that the mid rescues would be the club, and when I saw the tp's there I figured I would be sold. But I felt more comfortable with all the 5 woods, especially the v steel. But the club I liked the most was the rescue fairway 5. Not ugly in person (I didn't think it looked great in pictures) but I hit it very consistantly. Got plenty of height (as you would expect from a 5 wood) but a repeatable trajectory each time, mostly straight or with the odd light fade or draw. When I did hit one thin I got a low worm burner that travelled pretty much as far.

In the irons, I tried the nike slingshot, tm rac lt's, rac mb's, hogan edge and hogan apex blade, all in 6 irons, and all with stiff shafts. The slingshot looked huge when I grabbed it out of the bag, but at address it was ok. Still reminded me of a callaway with it's thick topline. In mag reviews they always say the big clubhead gives the player confidence that they will hit the ball easily, but to me it was a little bit off putting.

I hit the others all together, switching between them and back every few shots and I also hit my 6 iron (tm 300 forged s300) as a familiar reference at the end. All performed well, I seemed to be hitting a draw with my irons on the day. The hogan edge seemed bigger at address than I expected and I spose it had a kind of clunky feel off the face. Not what I expected. The rac lt's felt kind of similar to the hogan edge, although I preferred them at address. The rac mb looked sweet at address and just as sweet to hit. A nice click feeling and sound at impact.

The winner was easily the hogan apex blade. It's top edge looked like it would slice bread, and it felt oh so soft at impact. It was the money club - until I had a hit of mine. One swing, I looked at jaster and we agreed that he can wack me over the head with my putter if I change those irons.

I left commenting on the drivers till last as I felt too many of you ho's would stop reading after this section. I didn't hit a lot of them, just the big bertha II+ 415, the tm 510tp and low and behold; this demo day was suppose to be one of (if not) the first with the new r7's :D . Again, I hit a lot with my driver to compare, tho I haven't had it long and my last game I was swinging it pretty ordinary.

I hit the bb first, and it was nice but not the money club. After a few swings with it then onto mine, I found mine longer, with a better sound and a much better feel. My first few swings with the bb were pretty ordinary. But my swing improved as the demo day went along.

Next I hit the r7. It was set neutral and with this I was hitting consistant easy fades. Not that I can try to hit draws, but I usually do hit some, as well as the odd nasty hook. Just fade after fade after fade. I went to the tm dude and had the weights changed to a draw setting. What a difference. Not once did I hit anything but draws with the odd big draw bordering on a hook. I can not believe that such a difference can occur, but believe me it does. It was from one extreme to another. At address, the head itself dosen't look large but I did get a sense of how deep the head is.

That was the same for the tm 510tp which I hit next. Again I hit it well but with a little more variety in direction, the odd one straight, or faded or drawn. But nothing too dramatic. It felt nicer at impact and I didn't mind the sound at all (sorry McMw). As I hit each of these drivers I was also hit with mine. I was hoping I wouldn't find mine too far behind any of these, as I didn't want that sitting in the back of my mind.

Lucky for me, I don't feel any of them gave me anything I don't get from my current one. The conditions weren't great for judging distances or ball flight and direction really well, but the big bertha was the shortest and least consistant of the lot. The other two were pretty close to eachother and I think I would take the 510tp over the retail r7. The tm rep did tell me the 510tp was exactly the same club the pro's use on tour (I didn't bother disputing that, he wasn't much of a chatter). But when it came to the crunch I felt my 360tour with nv shaft was every bit as good as anything I hit, in some cases better. And strangely enough, I like my clubs head shape over both the tm's. Call me strange but that's the way it was. So now when I snap hook it into the trees I can no longer blame the club. Bugger.

That's about all the drivel I can come up with for now; I have a cramp in my fingers (not what you're thinking of Jarro [-X ). If anyone has any specific questions I'll be happy to answer them in my unknowledgeable layman way.

nick
20th June 2004, 08:04 PM
Great stuff.

Just a note, TM have got their TP line to the exact specs of what the guys arre using on tour, the early ones were different (especially the shaft, which was not tipped), but now they have it exactly the same.

Nick

jaster
20th June 2004, 08:07 PM
Probably be good if you had a WITB signature mate ;)

goughy
20th June 2004, 08:15 PM
Great stuff.

Just a note, TM have got their TP line to the exact specs of what the guys arre using on tour, the early ones were different (especially the shaft, which was not tipped), but now they have it exactly the same.

Nick

I've always been under the impression that tm's tour drivers were a different animal to even the tp versions. I just thought it was the tm guy making a big deal, and I didn't feel like disagreeing with him. He wasn't the friendliest chatty guy in the world.

When I spoke to the guy at golfworld a week ago about the demo day, he didn't want to believe me when I said I'd seen a retail r7 a few weeks ago, and that I knew of people in the states (and maybe here nudgee nudgee wink wink) who had tour models. He initially tried to tell me the r7tp dosen't come out till xmas so they must only have the retail :roll: .

Jarro
20th June 2004, 08:17 PM
nice review Goughy 8)

good to hear you finally got a chance to hit all of these beaut clubs .... now you know the one's you're using are the ones for you :wink:

one quick question about your 360Tour ..... how big is the head :?:

cheers :D

goughy
20th June 2004, 08:17 PM
Probably be good if you had a WITB signature mate ;)

I mentioned what I hit from my bag in the post. Can't have the 'boss' finding out what's in there. She might have my ip baned from ozgolf :oops: :shock: :wink:

goughy
20th June 2004, 08:20 PM
nice review Goughy 8)

Surprise surprise surprise; it's 360cc's. It's just not a deep face, so it has a bigger profile at address. Don't know why but I just seem to like it. Of course, it's my club which I've seen a lot more often than the others and have gotten used to.

If someone was to offer me a 510tp for free I don't think I would knock it back. I'm sure I could get used to it :wink: 8)

jaster
20th June 2004, 08:22 PM
nice review Goughy 8)

good to hear you finally got a chance to hit all of these beaut clubs .... now you know the one's you're using are the ones for you :wink:

360..flatter profile than the 300 tour and it has a lower COG

nick
20th June 2004, 08:35 PM
Great stuff.

Nick

I've always been under the impression that tm's tour drivers were a different animal to even the tp versions. I just thought it was the tm guy making a big deal, and I didn't feel like disagreeing with him. He wasn't the friendliest chatty guy in the world.

When I spoke to the guy at golfworld a week ago about the demo day, he didn't want to believe me when I said I'd seen a retail r7 a few weeks ago, and that I knew of people in the states (and maybe here nudgee nudgee wink wink) who had tour models. He initially tried to tell me the r7tp dosen't come out till xmas so they must only have the retail :roll: .

Originally, the TP line wasnt up to standard and their were differences but they got into it and now they are the same.

Nick

BrisVegas
20th June 2004, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the review Goughy! Sounds like it would have been a tough day at the driving range given the westerly winds we've been having.

I also had a demo of the R7 yesterday at Grady's range near Palm Meadows. They had a bag of about 15 of the things! The one I tried had a stiff MAS(?) shaft and the guy told me it was set up for a "medium trajectory draw". I hit about 10 with it and found it very solid. It felt a lot hotter than my driver and seemed to hang a little longer. It produced a small draw despite my best efforts to hit it straight or fade it. I'd been hitting fades and straight ones with my driver... I'm starting to see the advantage to having a driver which you can tweak like that. You could pretty much rule out one side of the game!

The other thing I noticed with it was how high and far it seemed to bouce once it landed.... It just seemed to bound away. Probably a result of the draw spin, but that club be a monster on a dry/hard golf course.... :shock: Hard to say how much longer than mine it was, because the range was only 250m or so.

Eag's
20th June 2004, 08:55 PM
Excellent post goughy :) almost felt I was there with you mate :wink:

jaster
20th June 2004, 09:11 PM
Great stuff.

Nick

Originally, the TP line wasnt up to standard and their were differences but they got into it and now they are the same.

Nick

Sounds like you've been reading BSG too much Nick ;) Does it really matter? :D

AndyP
21st June 2004, 08:15 AM
Not sure that I understand all that ho talk, but interesting reading anyway goughy.

I didn't know they had demo days that have multiple brands.

So you didn't try the Hogan Hybrid?

andylo
21st June 2004, 09:57 AM
Thanks for the review goughy :) Nice read :D

jaster
21st June 2004, 02:20 PM
Not sure that I understand all that ho talk, but interesting reading anyway goughy.

I didn't know they had demo days that have multiple brands.

So you didn't try the Hogan Hybrid?

They didn't have the Hybrid or the FTX irons :( Apparently next week which was a shame as I wanted to try both also :cry:

goughy
21st June 2004, 06:33 PM
I also really wanted to try the hogan hybrid; the guy said that all that came into the country went straight out the door so none for him to have as demo's. Bit dissapointed but what ya gonna do.

Jarro
21st June 2004, 06:36 PM
I also really wanted to try the hogan hybrid; the guy said that all that came into the country went straight out the door so none for him to have as demo's. Bit dissapointed but what ya gonna do.

try the TM rescue instead :wink: 8)

goughy
21st June 2004, 06:44 PM
After the demo day I don't think the mid rescue will be in the bag. Some version of a 5 wood will be. They were so easy to hit it was silly.

nick
21st June 2004, 07:13 PM
Nah, I know from TSG, Joe Kwok did tests and tour and TP came out the same everytime.

The Hogan Hybrid is awesome, best out there I beleive (well, apart from the rescue TP), I had a hit of one the other night and its great, really nice look too.

Nick

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 12:01 PM
I might see if I can try the Hogan Hybrid while I am in Canberra. Don't expect a report though. :wink: