PDA

View Full Version : Fitness tracking software & gadgets

Moe Norman
30th November 2012, 12:27 PM
I've seen all manner of people talking about the Garmins and also what software they use if they don't have one.

I've recently been given the all clear to get back into running, and have been on the bike a bit more lately and just in the past few days have experimented with MapMyRun, MapMyRide and Runkeeper as starting points.

I can't really decide which of these is better, although they do seem to drain my battery pretty quickly!

I'm also interested in whether is worth getting one of those GPS watches, as I like the idea of tracking my heartrate in addition to the GPS stuff, and not lugging around the phone all the time, smashing the battery.

So what are peoples opinions on the software/apps? Runkeeper, or MapMyRun or something else? I'm doing a bit of swimming too, so like being able to manually enter stuff (they both seem to allow this)

Then following that, what are the views on the watches/gadgets out there? The Garmin's seem quite pricey, but also quite popular - so they must be doing something right.

Can you link the stuff coming from the watch, into the apps listed above?

Anything else I need to know in this area?

timah!
30th November 2012, 12:36 PM
Nike+ on iPod/iPhone is what I'm back to using for running. I listen to music so it's nothing extra to carry.
Thanks to Courty's recommendation for a spibelt it's not an inconvenience at all.
Stuff all drain on phone battery.

I still think Polar at the leaders for HRM gear.

Ultimately depends (as always) on budget I'd guess?

DaveK
30th November 2012, 12:59 PM
I have a Garmin 910XT with a HRM, wasn't cheap but it's the bees knees from what i've read. It's a triathlon watch so it's got swim, bike, run. Garmin have their own tracker website where you upload all your data, but there's a bunch of other sites that it will work with. I use the Garmin site and haven't had any problems.
Battery life is awesome, rechargeable that lasts 20+ hours. It uses ANT+ so it can wirelessly connect with a bunch of other devices (cadence sensor, foot pod etc.) that don't have to be Garmin branded, I know Polar don't use ANT+ and i've got a feeling that their wireless comms is proprietry which means you'll be restricted to other Polar products. I've also heard that Polar have some compatibility 'issues' with Macs if you're that way inclined.

Have a read on transitions.org.au and slowtwitch, they're triathlon forums so there'll be thousands of threads on this topic there.

Moe Norman
30th November 2012, 01:24 PM
I do a bit of swimming, but not all that interested in GPS tracking or anything for that. I know I went up and down the pool a bunch of times and how long it took me! I suppose it would be nice to record splits etc, but wearing a watch when swimming doesn't interest me that much - I am happy just to record my swims in whatever App I decide to go with.

Budget isn't a concern, I want to know what the best options are and then I'll work backwards from there once I establish if I want to spend anything at all.

DaveK
30th November 2012, 02:11 PM
On the 910 you can choose between open water and pool swim. Pool swim mode uses an accelerometer to measure distance, cadence etc. I've never used mine to swim because i'm an awful swimmer, but it does an alright job from what i've read.
I use mine on the bike, treadmill running and outdoor running. When on the treadmill you can turn off the GPS and just use it as a HRM.

Grunt
30th November 2012, 03:44 PM
I have a Garmin 310XT a little cheaper than the 910 plenty on Ebay with HR monitors.

I used endonmondo Pro for a while seems heaps better than the other in terms of Battery use.

Moe Norman
30th November 2012, 04:06 PM
So it seems Garmin is definitely the gadget of choice, but as far as the apps go - might just come down to personal preference?

DaveK
30th November 2012, 04:19 PM
Just saying that's what i've got :)

LarryLong
30th November 2012, 04:37 PM
From left field - I have a Motorola Motoactv. GPS sports watch, also plays music if you like running with headphones (which I don't). Bluetooth and ANT+ compatible, so you can use all the Garmin heart rate stuff, or buy the motorola versions that are going cheap right now. Also does golf GPS (only in yards, mind) which is why I bought that over a garmin. Quite a handy device.

On the down side, there are reports of water damage on the forum, but many others report that they don't have a problem in the rain. There is also the impression that Motorola is going to discontinue the device now that Google own them.

On the positive side, you can pick one up for around $150 at the moment due to the above. A pretty good gamble at that price.

Web sites - I have used MapMyRun for running, and I'm told that strava.com is the only site you want to use for cycling - it has things like segments on routes that are tracked and ranked, and most cyclist types seem to use that over others.

Moe Norman
30th November 2012, 05:18 PM
like the idea of the cheapie version LL!

Courty
30th November 2012, 05:21 PM
iPhone
Spibelt
Endomondo Pro (iOS app) - handles all kinds of activities

Considering a Nike Fuel Band, but only for the right price.

timah!
30th November 2012, 05:26 PM
iPhone
Spibelt
Endomondo Pro (iOS app) - handles all kinds of activities

Considering a Nike Fuel Band, but only for the right price.

I have a Nike Sport band, which is quite nice. I actually think I'll look to get a full sportwatch in the new year...
Although the one downside to them is that they don't put out your distances like the nike+ app does on your phone..tells you how far you've gone etc...
Might need to look for some other apps perhaps...

Moe Norman
30th November 2012, 05:49 PM
what is the spibelt you speak of courty?

Edit: just googled it, seems pointless.

How does that combo give you a heartrate measurement?

Moe Norman
22nd January 2013, 11:32 AM
Hmm,

Bit of an update.

I've tried them all and ended up using Strava for both running and cycling. It's definitely the best one for cycling and while it doesn't seem widely used for running, I can't be bothered having more than one app.

As for devices:

I currently still just use the phone for runs and have an Edge 500 on my bike - which is a pretty cool little gadget.

However, I've decided I want a 310XT or a 910XT and will get rid of the Edge 500.

I want to be able to wear a watch for both run and bike to track pretty much GPS & pace only, and will use a normal Cat-Eye on the bike for visual reference.

The attraction of the 310XT and 910XT is that they are water proof, and while I have no interest in tracking any data other than time on my swims, I'd like to be able to wear just one device for a whole triathlon so I know my pace on each leg, in addition to my overall time.

I've been reading up on that DC Rainmaker site, he does amazing reviews and I'm now convinced it needs to be the 310 or 910XT. They're a bit pricey though!

will trawl for a decent 2nd hand one, and offset cost by selling the Edge 500 that should fetch $150+

Amazed by the amount of data out there these days, but I find it motivating for goal setting and encourages me to keep training as I get satisfaction out of tracking how I'm going.

Steve57
22nd January 2013, 11:40 AM
Just bought a Garmin 310XT for my son for his birthday.
Got a good price from an Ebay seller in Melbourne.
He has been looking at the 910 for a while and dreaming, but from my research it appears as if the 310 can do pretty much everything the 910 can except log the pool laps.
It should arrive tomorrow.

AndyP
22nd January 2013, 01:03 PM
I love my 310XT, although I am overly reliant on it at times.

Moe Norman
22nd January 2013, 01:35 PM
if you only do running AndyP, wouldn't something like the 405 or 610 be better for you?

Moe Norman
22nd January 2013, 01:37 PM
Just bought a Garmin 310XT for my son for his birthday.
Got a good price from an Ebay seller in Melbourne.
He has been looking at the 910 for a while and dreaming, but from my research it appears as if the 310 can do pretty much everything the 910 can except log the pool laps.
It should arrive tomorrow.

Correct, and the 910 is a bit smaller - they are both ****ing big though!

I'd be totally fine with a 310, but the price gap when buying new is minimal. I'm on the lookout for a 2nd hand 310, as because the 910 is the top of the range, nobody is selling them 2nd hand because there is nothing to upgrade to.

AndyP
22nd January 2013, 04:49 PM
if you only do running AndyP, wouldn't something like the 405 or 610 be better for you?
The 610 didn't exist when I got the 310XT and I wanted the extra battery life (12 hrs) for ultra marathons.

Grunt
22nd January 2013, 08:07 PM
Might have a 310XT with HR for sale in a month or so. Am going to upgrade to Suunto Ambit.

Steve57
22nd January 2013, 10:58 PM
Correct, and the 910 is a bit smaller - they are both ****ing big though!

I'd be totally fine with a 310, but the price gap when buying new is minimal. I'm on the lookout for a 2nd hand 310, as because the 910 is the top of the range, nobody is selling them 2nd hand because there is nothing to upgrade to.

I got the 310 without the heart rate strap for $253 brand new from an Ebay seller in Melbourne.
That included Express Post so it should arrive tomorrow.

Toolish
22nd January 2013, 11:50 PM
If you already have an edge 500 wouldn't it make more sense to just get a running watch?

I have a 310 but in hindsight I wish I had got a 500 and a 110 or something. Leave the 500 on the bike and have the 110 wrapped around the bars so you can put it on mid ride, costs you stuff all time. Having overall time is pretty useless, that is why they have race timing.

I can't wear the 310 with a wetsuit as it is so bulky it makes it hard to get off, plus I am worried about it heading to the bottom of the lake!

Moe Norman
23rd January 2013, 10:54 AM
no because I like to know how I'm going during the race, I usually compete in Clydesdales to the timer clocks are useless to me because I'm not on the gun time.

We don't need wetsuits up here!

Swimming is also my weakest leg and I like to know how I've gone straight away

Might have a 310XT with HR for sale in a month or so. Am going to upgrade to Suunto Ambit.

Dibs!

Although I am leading bidder on ebay for one atm. Can get the 910XT with HR monitor at the moment for $359 from HTA

Grunt
23rd January 2013, 08:57 PM
no because I like to know how I'm going during the race, I usually compete in Clydesdales to the timer clocks are useless to me because I'm not on the gun time.

Dibs!

Although I am leading bidder on ebay for one atm. Can get the 910XT with HR monitor at the moment for $359 from HTA
Will let you know Moe, not sure what they are going for on ebay at the moment but would be close to 200 with HR mon. Need to cover at least a 1/3 of the price of the Suunto.

Moe Norman
29th January 2013, 03:59 PM
they vary dramatically.

I just missed one the other day because I wasn't watching close enough that went for $140 with no HRM.

Then one went for $190 including everything.

I'd give you $200 for it, as I know you will have looked after it. You have cadence sensor as well?

I'm leading on a 910 at the moment, if I don't win that - let me know

Grunt
29th January 2013, 07:28 PM
they vary dramatically.

I just missed one the other day because I wasn't watching close enough that went for $140 with no HRM.

Then one went for $190 including everything.

I'd give you $200 for it, as I know you will have looked after it. You have cadence sensor as well?

I'm leading on a 910 at the moment, if I don't win that - let me know

No Cadence sensor Moe.

Also previous owner dropped it and has slight mark on corner.

Quick release band, would be good for bike. I use it to attach to footstraps on ski.
Wireless transfer USB sensor

Like I said earlier will be up for sale late Feb/Early March.

Moe Norman
29th January 2013, 08:29 PM
i won't last that long, good luck!

Grunt
29th January 2013, 10:28 PM
Sorry Moe, Just not getting my new Suunto until then, trip to Hawaii, over $100 cheaper over there.

-FIGJAM-
31st January 2013, 03:51 PM
I have tried a few apps for weights, the best one I have found for tracking progress is JEFIT

Also for food intake MyFitnessPal is great.

Both apps are available on IOS and Android, not sure about Windows

Moe Norman
7th February 2013, 04:51 PM
Picked up a 910XT today, so getting rid of the Edge 500.

Sweet bit of gear, very happy.

Grunt
12th February 2013, 08:56 AM
Nice pickup
My 310xt will be for sale this weekend. Ordered my Suunto Ambit last night.

Grunt
14th February 2013, 10:05 PM
Garmin 310xt with HR monitor, quick release band and original band. USB charge cable and Wifi dongle.
Good condition, selling due upgrade to Suunto Ambit.
$150