PDA

View Full Version : WA: TourFit v idgolfguy

TourFit
30th November 2012, 11:20 AM
I guess we'd better get this done... the vertically but not talent challenged pygmies to battle it out over 18 gruelling burgers holes.

Best for me is a Sunday at the moment, due to my F.I.L. committments at this time of the year, but may be tempted to do a midweek round. Also happy to do The Vines if it is more convenient for you on a Sunday (I've played there a LOT over the years, so I wouldn't feel disadvantaged at it being your home track)

bergsey
30th November 2012, 03:48 PM
Could potentially organise a Sunday morning at Yokine if you are keen on a neutral venue.

Sunday 9th is a comp (stroke) round so should be spots available.

Jarro
30th November 2012, 03:54 PM
I hope the shorter one wins :D

TourFit
30th November 2012, 05:06 PM
We should weigh ourselves too...just in case it's a tie!!!

idgolfguy
30th November 2012, 05:14 PM
Height and weight on par. Fit gives me 7 shots as he is a better golfer.

idgolfguy
30th November 2012, 05:14 PM
Could potentially organise a Sunday morning at Yokine if you are keen on a neutral venue.

Sunday 9th is a comp (stroke) round so should be spots available.

Has to be early morning!

sms316
30th November 2012, 10:17 PM
Has to be early morning! Like a sunrise?

Ashes
30th November 2012, 10:27 PM
Haha. Nicely done SMS.

Johnny Canuck
30th November 2012, 10:38 PM
Well played

idgolfguy
30th November 2012, 11:18 PM
He's a low handicapper with humour too!

Nuffie
2nd December 2012, 01:15 AM
Haha, good one SMS :)To continue the theme..."Beautiful driver, beautiful brake foot" (used to be lead foot) - but now knows how to drive within WA speed limits. It also took me a while to sort that prob out too with my 'Sydney' driving habits.These days IDGG does his "speeding" off the tee only. One of the best drivers of the ball off a 15 hcp that I've ever known. My prediction is that this cap won't last in these good conditions for golf we are coming into so these 7 shots to ID has me predicting him 4/3 for a win.

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2012, 01:34 AM
Id off 15 is a joke.

idgolfguy
2nd December 2012, 01:44 AM
I've been trying to get 'cap down but whole lot of stuff keeps happening when I play. Getting sick of golf, truthfully.

Johnny Canuck
2nd December 2012, 09:17 AM
I've been trying to get 'cap down but whole lot of stuff keeps happening when I play. Getting sick of golf, truthfully. I understand where you are coming from. Lately I have been finding incredible ways to waste shots. Everything about my game is better than it has been in years and the putting goes.

Nuffie
2nd December 2012, 12:33 PM
I understand where you are coming from. Lately I have been finding incredible ways to waste shots. Everything about my game is better than it has been in years and the putting goes. Yep, a new friend of mine off 2 or 3 is going through a testy time. Anyone off any cap goes through these things.After an unreal range session I hit my teeshots fantastic with IDGG and another friend from Syd last Thurs round Vines Lakes. But chunked about 5 shots inside 110m that lead to the 7 shots over par that I had. You get a struggling area sorted and before you know it, the wedges drop their bundle. My theory to get my other friend out of his rutt is, we are gonna play for fun initially to get confidence back, then attempt to bring the confidence into comp. Too much comp and expectation to get out of a rutt, can on some occasions make it even worse. This is where I reckon the mateship/applying the back to basics 'fun' approach can turn things around.

Yossarian
7th December 2012, 02:27 PM
So...

idgolfguy
7th December 2012, 02:30 PM
So...
What!

Miles Davis defining 'the cool.'

Busy the next couple of weeks. We'll sort it out.

Johnny Canuck
7th December 2012, 02:46 PM
After Christmas, you guys might not be able to share a cart.

MegaWatty
7th December 2012, 02:52 PM
Ouch!

Johnny Canuck
7th December 2012, 02:56 PM
Ouch! That's what my foot said.

Yossarian
7th December 2012, 02:58 PM
What!

Miles Davis defining 'the cool.'

Busy the next couple of weeks. We'll sort it out.

Simmsy will probably be out by the new year.

idgolfguy
7th December 2012, 02:59 PM
After Christmas, you guys might not be able to share a cart.
We could always play Bayswater Public. Happy to play there off the stick.

Not too far to walk.

Johnny Canuck
7th December 2012, 03:03 PM
We could always play Bayswater Public. Happy to play there off the stick.Not too far to walk. You and I, assuming you beat Fit?

idgolfguy
8th December 2012, 08:20 AM
Unfortunately, the way I am playing, 'Fit has to give me 7 shots and I think I will still lose.

I am so disappoint that I actually went to the a range.

Golfnut
8th December 2012, 10:01 AM
This will be a great match.

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2012, 10:18 AM
This will be a great match.

You have very low standards.

If it was a pie eating contest on the other hand...

Golfnut
8th December 2012, 11:29 AM
That really doesn't say a lot about their respective games. Maybe I have a little more respect for their golfing abilities.

'Fit is in career best form atm and Vic is capable of ANYTHING on the day. I still say it will be a good match to watch.

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2012, 01:26 PM
It will be exciting watching a 15 capper win a hole with a double because he gets a shot? Sounds like great viewing.

sms316
8th December 2012, 01:40 PM
It will be exciting watching a 15 capper win a hole with a double because he gets a shot? Sounds like great viewing. Shadesy v dc68 II

idgolfguy
8th December 2012, 06:01 PM
My sentiments exactly.

TourFit
8th December 2012, 10:46 PM
If it was a pie eating contest on the other hand...

I am a + marker when it comes to that.

It will be a great match because Canuck won't be there!

TourFit
8th December 2012, 10:47 PM
Maybe I have a little more respect for their golfing abilities.

'Fit is in career best form atm and Vic is capable of ANYTHING on the day. I still say it will be a good match to watch.

Wow...thanks 'Nut. Very kind of you.

Johnny Canuck
8th December 2012, 11:49 PM
I am a + marker when it comes to that.It will be a great match because Canuck won't be there! See you in the finals?

Johnny Canuck
9th December 2012, 01:40 AM
Enjoy the match for second place.

Do we even need to play the final match?

idgolfguy
11th December 2012, 09:39 AM
Enjoy the match for second place.

Only if you're giving 4 or 5 shots per 9.!

TourFit
11th December 2012, 09:52 AM

Of course not. If I beat idgg, I will forfeit our final.

Then you can enjoy some tainted glory.

TourFit
19th December 2012, 04:30 PM
OK...it's ON people.

The semi final to decide who plays the other guy.

It was either The Vines or Mt Lawley, and idgg decided to play at ML (hasn't been there in a while). We were both happy at either place, truth be told.

We will be joined by Nuffie, who has agreed to play the match with his mouth gaffa taped and provide us ALL with bright flashing ball markers... and TommyG who has reliably informed us that he will be a mess from the night before. There is nothing new in that and I have informed him that because of it, all side bets are now cancelled.

GO YOSS!

Johnny Canuck
19th December 2012, 04:36 PM
I thought I won this. You missed the deadline.

Final at Hartfield?

TourFit
19th December 2012, 06:49 PM
You missed all the other deadlines...match currently even.

After I win this I will probably forfeit :lol:

Johnny Canuck
19th December 2012, 06:50 PM
You missed all the other deadlines...match currently even.After I win this I will probably forfeit :lol: Forfat?

Yossarian
19th December 2012, 06:51 PM
Is it on right now?

TourFit
19th December 2012, 08:29 PM
No...Sunday.

TourFit
22nd December 2012, 07:48 PM
Tomorrow morning...may the best man win (no, not you TommyG!)

Looking forward to it actually...it'll be interesting to give idgg 7 shots, considering he has scored 41 and 37 pts in the last two games :roll: (I also hope the shanks have gone)

Johnny Canuck
22nd December 2012, 08:27 PM
It is amazing how ID's attitude towards giving shots has changed since the start of this match play.

idgolfguy
23rd December 2012, 12:29 AM
Rounds were 41, 33 and 30 this morning.

Thought you've been a little quiet and not asserting your opinion.

JC you weren't privy to our discussions as to how we would run our match. It would help if you get your facts straight.

The offer was there and discussed. I've played Mt Lawley twice in three years.

Hope to enjoy the course.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 01:05 AM
The facts are that you were open on the forum in discussing your opinion about giving shots, 3/4 handicap, etc...

Now that you have been "struggling", we have heard none of this. My facts are pretty straight.

I hope you have great discussions with Fit over Floorburgers. See one of you bandits in the finals.

Golfnut
23rd December 2012, 01:39 AM
How is Fit a bandit?

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 01:44 AM
How is Fit a bandit?

Golfnut
23rd December 2012, 01:49 AM
Awesome reply.

idgolfguy
23rd December 2012, 07:37 AM
The facts are that you were open on the forum in discussing your opinion about giving shots, 3/4 handicap, etc...

Now that you have been "struggling", we have heard none of this. My facts are pretty straight.

I hope you have great discussions with Fit over Floorburgers. See one of you bandits in the finals.
Most would know my thoughts on handicapping in Matchplay. As I stated, the match is between 'Fit and myself and we have already discussed our rules of engagement.

We chose not to open our discussion to the rest of the forum.

With regard to 'discussing floorburgers,' you appear to raise it at any given opportunity. What relevance does it have to this thread other than trying to denigrate 'Fit and myself?

I've heard that Trolls are quite tall.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 09:00 AM
No one mentioned "discussing" Floorburgers, just keeping the facts straight.

Keep your focus on Fit, not I.

Please give us score, but more importantly, Shank updates. May I recommend taking video footage of any shot Fit hits from less than 150m.

Pro tip for today: stand on the left side of Fit when he has an iron in his hand.

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 09:04 AM
Lowest 'cap ever...and I'm a bandit? And what if I don't wear horizontal stripes? I was flushing my irons yesterday at the range...not a shank in sight. I have figured out the problem from last week anyway, and it was NOT so much a swing issue.

We will post the winner, but there won't be updates. We are at Mt Lawley and phones are frowned upon mid game! But either Vic or I would love to play your 'tainted' ass in the Final.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 09:09 AM
With how I am scoring at the moment, everyone is a bandit to me.

What time are you guys off?

Who is the 4th(I know TG is there)?

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 09:12 AM
Lowest 'cap ever...and I'm a bandit? And what if I don't wear horizontal stripes? I was flushing my irons yesterday at the range...not a shank in sight. I have figured out the problem from last week anyway, and it was NOT so much a swing issue.

We will post the winner, but there won't be updates. We are at Mt Lawley and phones are frowned upon mid game! But either Vic or I would love to play your 'tainted' ass in the Final.

Damn your edits Fit.

Throwing putters is also frowned upon mid game, but that never stopped you.

Are you telling me that when Mega played there recently, he didn't have his phone out the entire round.

Why should you care, I heard you were joining PGN? Is that true?

Yossarian
23rd December 2012, 09:56 AM
This thread got serious.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 10:01 AM
Will Tommyg be allowed on Lolly in boardies?

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 03:49 PM
Ok...I spent 15 mins posting about what happened but my stupid phone f***ed it up.

I won on 19...from Dormy 5 down!

idgolfguy
23rd December 2012, 03:54 PM
Top come back 'Fit! Better player won. Birdie on 17 showed how good you can be.

simmsy
23rd December 2012, 04:23 PM
Nicely done fit.

Who won the shank count?

idgolfguy
23rd December 2012, 04:44 PM
No shanks. We both hit 35 points.

Nuffie
23rd December 2012, 05:13 PM
Congrats to TourFit. He is playing some outstanding golf at the moment.To come back from dormy 5 after giving away 7 strokes is the stuff heroes are made of. Commisserations to ID. A couple of crunch shots in the end slightly opened the door for Fit to come back.The final will be awesome. Araluen???

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 05:29 PM
We started on the back 9...idgg got 3 shots. And he scored 21pts. I was no chance, as he played really solid. We turned with ID 3 up.

He then had shots on 1, 2, 4 and the Par 3 8th. I managed (just) to square 1 & 2, but then Vic won with a great birdie on 3 and then with his shot on 4. Before I knew it it was Dormy 5. It's not like I was playin' bad or anything.

I then hit driver on 5 (which I never do) and almost lost it. ID was in the right trees too, and punched out. We found my ball (I was literally about to concede the hole & match), I chipped out but was still in the trees on a sandy lie. I then hit my best shot of the day onto the green and eventually won with a bogey after IDGG put his 3rd in the bunker and didn't get up & down. DORMY 4.

On the Par 3 6th I hit a solid 8 iron to the front of the green, and ID buried it in the face of the bunker. He got out, but then 3 putted. DORMY 3.

On 7, I hit 3W downwind down the left side, while Vic pulled his driver low left and ran into the scrub. He chipped out and then hit a great long iron that was unlucky that it didn't stop on the green. From the back edge he took 3 to get down (even with the help of Nuffies' ball). I 2 putted for par. DORMY 2.

The 8th is a 175m Par 3...a tough hole with a fast green. Vic got a shot on this hole, so I was expecting the worst. But I flushed a 6 iron to about 12ft, but past the hole. IDGG put his in the bunker, got out to the other side of the green and putted down to a couple of feet. He opted to putt out and nailed it to put the pressure on. I now had to hole my 12ft downhill L to R putt to stay in the match, which I managed to do. DORMY 1

On 9 I hit a good drive and IDGG was also in the middle, but a little further back. He flushed his long iron to perfect position up the double dogleg fairway, putting the pressure on again. I hit 4 iron, leaving a short 50m pitch. ID pulled his 96m wedge into the left pot, but I hit my 60* a little heavy and came up short of the green on the fringe. ID's bunker shot almost went off the other side, but managed to hold up. I putted, almost holed it and ran 4-5ft past. Vic 2 putted for a 6, leaving me with the short one for the win and to get A/S.

We managed to squeeze back onto the 1st for the 19th...and I hit a really solid driver into the wind (I don't normally). Vic was left and in a pretty ordinary lie, managed to advance it forward 50m or so. I hit a safe 9 iron to the centre of the green, and IDGG chunked his 3rd just short, he went for the chip and ran it past the edge but 5ft past. I putted up to a couple of feet and Vic holed out for 5, leaving me a 3 footer for the win.

WOW... thanks for the game Vic. And to Nuffie and TommyG as well.

TourFit, TommyG and IDGG all scored 35pts. Nuffie 31pts (and he was able to talk himself into hitting everything left on the back 9)

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 05:30 PM
The final will be awesome. Araluen???

NO.

Jarro
23rd December 2012, 05:33 PM
Congrats 'Fit

Bad luck IDGG.

Ashes
23rd December 2012, 05:34 PM
Sounds like a great match, nicely played to both of you.

Jarro
23rd December 2012, 05:35 PM
Sounds like a great match, nicely played to both of you.

It does sound like it was a good match.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 06:05 PM
Nuck vs Duck.

Nuffie
23rd December 2012, 06:13 PM
Nuck vs Duck.You mean Nuff vs Duck (hook)? This shot just will not go away. So, where will the Nuck vs the Duck?

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 07:32 PM
It's not ALWAYS about you, Buffy!

idgolfguy
23rd December 2012, 07:45 PM
It does sound like it was a good match.
It was great and 'Fit impressed me to win 6 holes at the end.

I couldn't keep focus for the full 18. Golf is easy for 10 holes.

Yossarian
23rd December 2012, 07:51 PM
Nice one fit, sounds like ID knocked you to the floor only for you to bounce back up.

tommyg
23rd December 2012, 07:52 PM
Yeah hats off to fit...from dormy 5 he really pulled out some solid pressure golf... it was a pleaseure to watch. Well done mate, and thanks heaps for taking me out for a hit.

As for ID, he played really well on the front...but once we got him talking about his guitars and reminiscing about his dreadlocked groupie dripping gigging days the wheels started falling off... all in all a great day out... and the black chicken lunch he introduced us to in morley was outstanding. That place is a real find.

Johnny Canuck
23rd December 2012, 07:52 PM
It was great and 'Fit impressed me to win 6 holes at the end.

I couldn't keep focus for the full 18. Golf is easy for 10 holes.

We call that the "Nuffie Factor".

Veefore
23rd December 2012, 10:09 PM
Well done TF. Backing up your final win from last year by making it into the final this year is quite an effort. It's also good to hear that you are playing your best golf ever at the moment.

Commiserations ID. You did well to get this far.

Golfnut
24th December 2012, 12:09 AM
This will be a great match. Glad it was a great match for you guys, well done Fit....amazing effort, comeback if the decade. Bad luck ID, I know you will be kicking yourself for letting this one slip but in the end the more current consistent golfer came through....I still rate you highly mate better luck next year.Oh and JC, eat a dick!

Shadesy
24th December 2012, 03:18 AM
Are we not mentioning the C word?

Well done Fit on a chance of defending, huge effort.

Off the stick?

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:17 AM
Are we not mentioning the C word?

Well done Fit on a chance of defending, huge effort.

Off the stick?
Didn't feel like I choked, as there was no tension at anytime. Just couldn't execute the shots I wanted to play like I did earlier in the round. I did get a couple of unfortunate breaks that is part of the game.

Off-the-stick? That is just stupidity and ego, and letting your little head think for the big head. One is a B-Grader, the other is an A-Grader, why would the lesser player give up the advantage. That is just poor strategy. Giving up your competitive advantage means you have just lost the first battle. The first battle is the foundation of what comes ahead.

We both played to our handicap. And in the play-off, the better player won.

There is no reason why 'Fit can't win on a hole-by-hole basis, but having the extra shots is insurance and puts the onus on the other player to step-up, who is supposedly the better player.

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:27 AM
Glad it was a great match for you guys, well done Fit....amazing effort, comeback if the decade. Bad luck ID, I know you will be kicking yourself for letting this one slip but in the end the more current consistent golfer came through....I still rate you highly mate better luck next year.Oh and JC, eat a dick!
Thanks GN. For about 12 holes, I was in control, much like most rounds I play these days. Just have difficulty sustaining that level of focus these days. It was similar to our round at Champs. Possibly don't have the ticker for it anymore as John Howard would say.

As for next year, probably not. Can't be fussed about the rubbish that goes with it. Hopefully, my son will get more into Golf, and probably focus on that.

Yossarian
24th December 2012, 10:31 AM
What rubbish?

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:39 AM
What rubbish?
Poor choice of words. Just over Matchplay and golf at the moment. I haven't played Matchplay at club level for a couple of years and don't miss it.

Nuffie
24th December 2012, 02:48 PM
It's not ALWAYS about you, Buffy!That's my point Fit. At the moment it's not and am not afraid to admit that light heartedly. Just prob chose the wrong thread to.Well done again Fit. Despite those slower/sandier greens than usual, your putting was fantastic. Great roll and almost every first putt went past the hole OR in.Your short game was on fire. Too see how good that's going, really demostrates that your game is in a great place.Great work also in making your second final in succession.

Shadesy
24th December 2012, 06:01 PM
Didn't feel like I choked, as there was no tension at anytime. Just couldn't execute the shots I wanted to play like I did earlier in the round. I did get a couple of unfortunate breaks that is part of the game.

Please take no offence....but not executing the shots you want down the stretch whilst under pressure is called?

I felt no nerves when blowing a one shot lead with a back 9 53 in the club champs. But after analyzing it after I found I changed my game plan and mindset ever so slightly, and copped my share of ridicule. 3 months later, I have a merit bar.

Off-the-stick? That is just stupidity and ego, and letting your little head think for the big head. One is a B-Grader, the other is an A-Grader, why would the lesser player give up the advantage. That is just poor strategy. Giving up your competitive advantage means you have just lost the first battle. The first battle is the foundation of what comes ahead.

We both played to our handicap. And in the play-off, the better player won.

There is no reason why 'Fit can't win on a hole-by-hole basis, but having the extra shots is insurance and puts the onus on the other player to step-up, who is supposedly the better player.

This was in regards to the final. Tourfit is off 8 and JC could be 6. Form suggests TF, it's a final and I can't imagine 1-2 shots is worth it.

I disagree with most of what you have said above asI like the challenge of playing better golfers and (nearly) beating them. It's a mental game golf and the more challenges you can present mentally the more you learn IMO.

Simmsy also disagrees with me but I am young and naive in my golfing journey, and its not right or wrong, it's just how I like to improve my golf.

I am sure Fit will take his 2 shots or whatever.

I personally wouldn't. That's my choice and not forcing that on anyone else.

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 06:33 PM
I would play it off the bat, as my history shows with SMS,but I don't expect, or necessarily want Tourfit to do the same. I might consider it the fair thing to do if we considered Lolly as the venue.

I will have to work my ass off to beat him with the way we are both playing, which is fine with me.

Sounds like this was a fun match to watch. One par from ID in the last 6 holes would have won it.

From a competition standpoint, I am happy that Fit won as I would much rather only give up a couple shots than a boatload to a guy that is capable of playing off singles.

TourFit
24th December 2012, 07:30 PM
This was in regards to the final. Tourfit is off 8 and JC could be 6. Form suggests TF, it's a final and I can't imagine 1-2 shots is worth it.

I am sure Fit will take his 2 shots or whatever.

I personally wouldn't. That's my choice and not forcing that on anyone else.

I am now off 7...and I will take the full difference in our handicaps, whatever that may be. That is what I have given throughout the comp, 12 or 13 to Rubin and 7 to IDGG.

It was stated early on that this was a full handicap event. For those that between them want to play off 3/4, scratch or whatever, that is between the opponents on the day, and a choice that individuals can make. I do not agree with it personally, but my position has been consistent.

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 07:32 PM
I am now off 7...and I will take the full difference in our handicaps, whatever that may be. That is what I have given throughout the comp, 12 or 13 to Rubin and 7 to IDGG.

It was stated early on that this was a full handicap event. For those that between them want to play off 3/4, scratch or whatever, that is between the opponents on the day, and a choice that individuals can make. I do not agree with it personally, but my position has been consistent.

If we played Lolly would you go off the bat?

Shadesy
24th December 2012, 07:37 PM
Fair enough Fit, especially as you have given up plenty of shots.

Plus John was lucky he played me off scratch, otherwise you would be champion by default (joking) again as I couldn't play the final. Unless we made it Carnoustie?

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 07:57 PM
Regardless of the potential, handicaps don't lie, much like statistics. There is a vast difference between someone who plays off 4 (±4) and 12 (±8).

'Fit is playing well as he is at the lowest he has ever played to. JC isn't playing well and is out to the worst he could get to (or close to anchor). JC's anchor is a little worst than 'Fit's best.

Why wouldn't I give up the couple of shots advantage in a matchplay if I was 'Fit. I haven't actually written my thoughts on our round.

'Fit won not because he played well as there were 10 or 12 holes that he didn't. He rallied well to come in shooting 4 pars and a birdie on a course that he plays regularly.

I knew I had him beat by the end of the 9th as I still had 4 more shots on the 2nd half of our match and I was 3UP with two lost holes. I need to add, that I was not 3UP because of my handicap. I should have capitalised further when I got to 5 up. One of those was because of a shot.

I relaxed, talked a lot more, experimented a little more and changed my pre-shot routine and demeanor. I don't have that mental discipline anymore. It's not the type of golf I enjoy. I used to be capable of it, hence my strong MP record in Div 4 even though I was never below 14HC during that time. The guys would have noticed my lack of anxiousness or urgency when I didn't close. There were a couple of turning points, when things didn't go my way. 'Fit consolidated well.

'Fit shot 35 pts, with the bulk of this points coming in those last holes. JC won't let that happen. JC is likely to play to 4 or 5 and a bad round, to 7 or 8. 'Fit has to play 3 or 4 shots better than his HC to play to JC's handicap.

This is not making light of 'Fit's golfing ability nor his win over me. If this Matchplay was about survival, what would you do?

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 08:20 PM
Shadesy, my thoughts in your MP against JC was that I thought JC had bullied you into it and I apologise now, JC. Your ego had gotten the better of you.

Both your scores weren't great, but JC always had the better hand because he is a better player than you.

Golf is funny that way. You may think you got hard done by or the other player had a couple of bounces that favoured them.

Gary Player's motto, the more I practice, the luckier I get sums it up. Someone who is better skilled, can seem to make it look easier or lucky.

I didnt understand what you were trying to achieve. Your focus in that MP, was to prove that you are better than yourself? Don't get that. If you wanted to prove that you are a better player than JC, the MP was not the forum. Just get a better HC than him. That proves it more. If you had beaten him, all it proved was that he had a bad day or you had a really god day.

With regard to Champs, it was a handicapped event which showed that you played to or better than your handicap against every other handicapped player. It was not a measure of golfing ability.

Handicapped events mean just that, measured success against a scaled baseline. It is not about ability.

What I am saying is that the OZGolf matchplay is a handicapped event, why would you play it any other way.

TourFit
24th December 2012, 08:21 PM
Well, all of my MP rounds were exciting games with Mega, Rubin and Idgg going late into the game. I managed to beat Mega on the 17th, Rubin on the 17th and Idgg on the 19th. Matchplay played off the bat by two completely mismatched handicaps would make for a short game, and a not very exciting one. It also puts much more undue pressure on only ONE opponent.

That is part of WHY I am completely happy to give full handicap differential to higher 'cap players, to make it an even field. Sure, higher handicappers may well have a stretch of holes that make it nearly impossible for a lower 'capper to win the hole. But they are partial to a blow up as well. The challenge of the lower marker is to make sure they stay in the game best they can, and do what they can when needed.

I thought I was NO CHANCE yesterday after Vic shot 21 pts on the first 9. He was 3up with three shots in the next 4 holes. As far as I'm concerned, that was pretty much the best rush I've ever had in any match. Having said that Victor, as we all know, is such a laid back guy and was a great opponent and has been very generous.

Ashes
24th December 2012, 08:28 PM
Plus John was lucky he played me off scratch, otherwise you would be champion by default (joking) again as I couldn't play the final. Unless we made it Carnoustie?

Not to mention fortunate he was able to dodge the Super Sub in the first round... :)

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 08:36 PM
I would play it off the bat, as my history shows with SMS,but I don't expect, or necessarily want Tourfit to do the same. I might consider it the fair thing to do if we considered Lolly as the venue.

I will have to work my ass off to beat him with the way we are both playing, which is fine with me.

Sounds like this was a fun match to watch. One par from ID in the last 6 holes would have won it.

From a competition standpoint, I am happy that Fit won as I would much rather only give up a couple shots than a boatload to a guy that is capable of playing off singles.
I would agree, JC. One par in five holes could have done it. Having made 9 pars (7 in reg) and an easy birdie, I found it hard to fathom that I couldn't salvage a half in any of those 5 holes. Just goes to show that there is something mental going on.

In terms of MP, I would never give away any competitive advantage to you. You are just too good a player.

As I stated in the previous post, I don't think 'Fit played that well for 2/3 of the round. I was ahead by shooting pars and birdies. 'Fit wasn't close on a few of the early holes. The thought of so many shots given meant that he had to press before we even teed off on a couple of holes.

You giving him 2 shots means that you'd have to shoot a 76 or 78 to be competitive, you've done that a lit more than him. For him to shoot the same he would have to play at or better.

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 09:02 PM
I feel like I haven't shot 76-78 in 2012.

I had nothing at all to do with Shades. I tried to steer clear on the cap debate as my view would be taken as "tainted"being the low capper.

I did suggest it to Veeman, in response to some smack talk, simply stating that if he wanted to talk the talk, walk the walk.

You did give up your competitive advantage against the Nuffster, or whatever he is now known as.

Fit and I should stay away from our home courses and play a neutral venue, like Kennedy Bay.

TourFit
24th December 2012, 09:04 PM
Fair enough Fit, especially as you have given up plenty of shots.

But for that damned fence at KB, eh?

I would almost be tempted to travel back to Carnoustie just to play there again. Beating you in the MP would've been perfect!

Having said that, I am thinking of either Marri Park or Maylands for the final

Shadesy
24th December 2012, 09:06 PM
Shadesy, my thoughts in your MP against JC was that I thought JC had bullied you into it and I apologise now, JC. Your ego had gotten the better of you.Both your scores weren't great, but JC always had the better hand because he is a better player than you.Golf is funny that way. You may think you got hard done by or the other player had a couple of bounces that favoured them. Gary Player's motto, the more I practice, the luckier I get sums it up. Someone who is better skilled, can seem to make it look easier or lucky.I didnt understand what you were trying to achieve. Your focus in that MP, was to prove that you are better than yourself? Don't get that. If you wanted to prove that you are a better player than JC, the MP was not the forum. Just get a better HC than him. That proves it more. If you had beaten him, all it proved was that he had a bad day or you had a really god day.With regard to Champs, it was a handicapped event which showed that you played to or better than your handicap against every other handicapped player. It was not a measure of golfing ability.Handicapped events mean just that, measured success against a scaled baseline. It is not about ability.What I am saying is that the OZGolf matchplay is a handicapped event, why would you play it any other way. No ego, and I always stated JC was a better golfer. Also the handicap system is too fluid that if played JC now he would Give me 7 shots instead of 5. That's another discussion.You have accepted that your handicap is what it is and I don't believe that yet. You are also struggling to close out rounds and finish strong which I also had a problem in doing.I played JC off scratch to challenge myself against the best Ozgolfer. I wanted to become better mentally as I struggle with it and golf is the battle between you and nothing else.It wasn't about winning for me.I have never asked any bowler to bowl slower for me, or a footballer to not run as fast, because they were better than me. I looked inwardly at myself and tried to make myself better...Why should golf be any different?

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 09:10 PM
But for that damned fence at KB, eh?I would almost be tempted to travel back to Carnoustie just to play there again. Beating you in the MP would've been perfect!Having said that, I am thinking of either Marri Park or Maylands for the final Marri Park is probably the only course on Perth I refuse to play. Is Petenoustie taking bookings?

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 09:32 PM
...Why should golf be any different?
I apologise if I made the wrong assumption about ego.

Cricket is played in grades but not handicapped. Golf isnt. It depends on the circumstances or the competition format. At the amateur, it is played in grades and handicapped. There are events throughout the year that are open to lower handicaps and played off the stick.

I don't agree with our Matchplay format but it is what it is.

Golf is inclusive because of its grading and handicapping.

Shadesy
24th December 2012, 09:47 PM
I apologise if I made the wrong assumption about ego.

Cricket is played in grades but not handicapped. Golf isnt. It depends on the circumstances or the competition format. At the amateur, it is played in grades and handicapped. There are events throughout the year that are open to lower handicaps and played off the stick.

I don't agree with our Matchplay format but it is what it is.

Golf is inclusive because of its grading and handicapping.

As i said mate, I don't believe anyone is right or wrong, it's just how I like to think about the game and the improvements I need to make.

I am setting a goal of 7 this year which I am under no illusions how difficult it will be.

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 09:50 PM
As i said mate, I don't believe anyone is right or wrong, it's just how I like to think about the game and the improvements I need to make.I am setting a goal of 7 this year which I am under no illusions how difficult it will be.Race to 7?

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:00 PM
As i said mate, I don't believe anyone is right or wrong, it's just how I like to think about the game and the improvements I need to make.

I am setting a goal of 7 this year which I am under no illusions how difficult it will be.
Good luck in your endeavour to reach 7. You have the potential. My own aspiration is to get to 10.

I agree to a point, but the nature of the OZGolf MP is a handicapped event. It would have been great to have seen the WA champ also the MP champ. Some poetry there.

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:00 PM
Race to 7?
You just have to win! :)

What's your anchor?

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 10:13 PM
7.3 I believe. Still a few more rounds to get to 6.

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:17 PM
7.3 I believe. Still a few more rounds to get to 6.
I moved 1 stroke in three rounds. Not that hard. One Saturday, I was playing to 13, the next Saturday, off 15

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 10:27 PM
Unfortunately, my flagged rounds vs. non flagged only have about 2 strokes differential. Tough to go out as I don't have any "blinders" on there to drop off.

bergsey
24th December 2012, 10:31 PM
Wow this turned into a bit of a saga ! :)

Well played Tourfit, i know how hard it would have been to take Vic down... bad luck Vic, but i'm sure you'll come back and be down to 10 soon.

Now TF, no pressure but the whole of Ozgolf is behind you -1 !

bergsey
24th December 2012, 10:32 PM
No ego, and I always stated JC was a better golfer. Also the handicap system is too fluid that if played JC now he would Give me 7 shots instead of 5. That's another discussion.You have accepted that your handicap is what it is and I don't believe that yet. You are also struggling to close out rounds and finish strong which I also had a problem in doing.I played JC off scratch to challenge myself against the best Ozgolfer. I wanted to become better mentally as I struggle with it and golf is the battle between you and nothing else.It wasn't about winning for me.I have never asked any bowler to bowl slower for me, or a footballer to not run as fast, because they were better than me. I looked inwardly at myself and tried to make myself better...Why should golf be any different?

Wow, that is deep for someone the last time i saw them they were teabagging simmsy :)

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 10:46 PM
Wow this turned into a bit of a saga ! :)Well played Tourfit, i know how hard it would have been to take Vic down... bad luck Vic, but i'm sure you'll come back and be down to 10 soon.Now TF, no pressure but the whole of Ozgolf is behind you -1 ! Hackers of OzGolf, unite!

TourFit
25th December 2012, 10:43 AM
...no pressure but the whole of Ozgolf is behind you -1 !

Including Lubin & Yoss? :shock:

And I take it that Nuffie is the -1 ;)

Golfnut
25th December 2012, 04:17 PM
Wow, that is deep for someone the last time i saw them they were teabagging simmsy :) Hmmmm...... Deep teabagging.