PDA

View Full Version : Sunglasses - Tifosi!?

nadg63
29th November 2012, 10:14 PM
Having had a 'nothing' alien removed from near my left eye that has now turned out to be something that could have caused problems, (as in skin cancer), my Doctor has suggested it is about time I started wearing sunglasses when playing golf. Have tried to in the past but just haven't been able to get on with them, seemed to distort vision and just didn't feel right etc :?

Anyway, after the above little episode I believe now is the time where I HAVE to start wearing them so am just keen to hear what people are wearing?

Am aware that Oakley's are good, but quite like the look of a few changeable lens models in the Tifosi range - any feedback out there from users/wearers?

Cheers.

TheNuclearOne
29th November 2012, 10:19 PM
Tifosi are awesome value for money. Much cheaper than Oakley's and the like but very very good glasses. I nabbed a handful oversea's a couple of years back, the top line pair i got were about $60 and the other pairs mostly $10 unwrapped in case. Certainly a good place to start.

timah!
29th November 2012, 10:22 PM
Yep love mine. Will look for another pair, possibly of the fototec model in the very near future.

BroKar
29th November 2012, 10:22 PM
Timah seems to love them, i have a rather large melon and unfortunately the tifosi ones i have tried havent been any good

Johnny Canuck
29th November 2012, 10:23 PM
Love my tifosis. The choice of lenses is a nice touch.

TheNuclearOne
29th November 2012, 10:30 PM
Here is a great and in depth review to help

http://thesandtrap.com/b/apparel/tifosi_sunglasses_review

timah!
29th November 2012, 10:46 PM
Timah seems to love them, i have a rather large melon and unfortunately the tifosi ones i have tried havent been any good

Do you remember what models you tried?

BroKar
29th November 2012, 10:52 PM
not sure from memory mate, I really like them, good for the $$$

Johnny Canuck
29th November 2012, 11:27 PM
Go a size bigger to be safe. My first pair was small and I sold them to Nuffster.
I got a model for large heads and they fit great. I don't have a Jeffo sized melon either.

Daves
30th November 2012, 07:07 AM
Tifosi are very good value, I have a couple of pair. A polarised pair for driving and a 2nd pair for golf. But I prefer my Oakleys (XLJs) with G30 lenses for golf. Echo the comments regarding size, found the Tifosis on the small side, you need to check the sizing charts. Rockbottom Sunglasses are a good place to look at the options.

markTHEblake
30th November 2012, 07:48 AM
There is some great information on sunglasses for golf here: www.ozgolf.net

Monsta
30th November 2012, 08:09 AM
I have worn Oakleys for ever. I never leave the house without my sunglasses. Its not only good for your skin, but it helps keep your eyes in good health as well.
Dont worry Nadg63, you will get used to playing in them if you wear them often enough.

Captain Nemo
30th November 2012, 09:47 AM
If you want seriously good sunnies go here:
http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/home.php?cat=366
I have the Golf Specific, and the same Rydons in Clear Photochromatic for Cycling....
Good deal with the extra 3 lens's...
http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/product.php?productid=18383&cat=366&page=1

oncewasagolfer
30th November 2012, 10:36 AM
I wear my Tifosi sunnys for golf and cycling they are great I only use the brown lens as I didn't really like the others.

dan
30th November 2012, 01:45 PM
Any stores in melb stock Tifosi?

matty
30th November 2012, 02:12 PM
I find it difficult to judge the read on the greens with sunnies. May be a practice thing.

Captain Nemo
30th November 2012, 02:33 PM
With the Rudy Golf Specific green lens it actually enhances the contours.....super.

Daves
30th November 2012, 02:40 PM
I find it difficult to judge the read on the greens with sunnies. May be a practice thing.

Polarised lenses yes, specific non polarised golf ones like Oakley, Rudy, etc actually enhance the view, as Titty says.

IanO
30th November 2012, 02:41 PM
With the Rudy Golf Specific green lens it actually enhances the contours.....super.

The Impactx Photochromic Golf Green Lens or the Golf 100 Green Lens?

Puji
30th November 2012, 03:13 PM
House of golf just sent around an email with tifosi glasses "starting at 69.95"

timah!
30th November 2012, 03:36 PM
Global direct shop stocks a fair few styles and sizes and has free shipping over $50.

Captain Nemo
30th November 2012, 04:28 PM
The Impactx Photochromic Golf Green Lens or the Golf 100 Green Lens?
The Impactx Photochromic Golf Green Lens
The Impactx Precription ones are $700+....

Leon Phelps
30th November 2012, 04:29 PM
I need a new pair of sunnies, but will need prescription. What can y'all recommend?

CobraSS
2nd December 2012, 12:12 AM
I need a new pair of sunnies, but will need prescription. What can y'all recommend?

I wear the Rudy Project Rydon with impactx photochromic golf lenses and prescription RX inserts.

Leon Phelps
2nd December 2012, 08:48 AM
I wear the Rudy Project Rydon with impactx photochromic golf lenses and prescription RX inserts.

How much did they set you back Cobra?

CobraSS
2nd December 2012, 10:12 AM
I bought them about 6 years ago, got the Rydon's from the USA, and then got the RX clips and prescription locally so I could claim them on Private health insurance, so given that it was so long ago I really don't remember how much it cost all up sorry.

But if you buy the Rydon's from the http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/home.php?cat=366 link that titleist posted above and get the RX clips from the same place I think that will be the cheapest way to go. The part number for the RX clips that suited the Rydon's (6 years ago) was FR790000 (this may be different now).

nadg63
3rd December 2012, 07:16 PM
Have bitten the bullet and gone for a pair of Tifosi sunnies with the green 'All Terrain' Fototec lenses - hopefully get to try them out this weekend!

nadg63
5th December 2012, 06:54 PM
Global direct shop stocks a fair few styles and sizes and has free shipping over $50.

That is where I got mine from, thanks.

Went for the 'Veloce' model, carbon-fiber finish with the 'All terrain green' fototec lenses - arrived today :-)

Was a bit dubious as to their claims about the green lenses enhancing greens/fairways etc, but having put them on and gone out into the garden for a quick test I have to admit they do!

Just got to see how they go whilst playing now .......................

timah!
5th December 2012, 08:46 PM
Keen to hear your review!

nadg63
10th December 2012, 07:33 PM
Keen to hear your review!

Due to this and that I didn't get out for a game over the weekend so review postponed!

rqrox
11th December 2012, 08:37 PM
I tried the G30 lens in the Oakley on the weekend and found them really bright. Has that been your experience? because they seem really comfortable and look OK.

Daves
11th December 2012, 08:43 PM
I tried the G30 lens in the Oakley on the weekend and found them really bright. Has that been your experience? because they seem really comfortable and look OK.

Compared to normal polarised lenses, yes they seem to let in a lot more light. I found I adjusted to it quite quickly.

nadg63
15th December 2012, 04:51 PM
Got to try out the Tifosi sunnies today, and found them to work very well indeed! :)

Wore them for the whole round, including whilst putting, and didn't have any issues with them whatsoever. The 'All terrain green' Fototec lenses certainly seem to brighten/sharpen up the look of the fairway/greens and were very consistent in the varying light conditions, (tee off was 8.33am so finished around 12.15pm); combined with the very light weight of the glasses by the end of the round I had actually forgotten I was wearing them so has to be a good thing!

Reckon these are a keeper, and at $95 delivered were what I consider to be very good value for money; wouldn't hesitate to recommend them :mrgreen:

oncewasagolfer
24th February 2013, 02:14 PM
Got a problem with some of the lenses which have cracked in the middle one completely in half. Has anyone else had this problem with these sunnies?

fishing_mad
24th February 2013, 02:22 PM
Yes, I had a lens crack but I put it down to me being a bit of a spaz and putting too much pressure on it when I was swapping lenses over. I love them but I find changing lenses a bit of a trial, need to have them slotted in just right before they will click in.

oncewasagolfer
24th February 2013, 02:27 PM
That did cross my mind but I followed the instructions when changing lenses and haven't forced them.

Ferrins
24th February 2013, 03:27 PM
I wear a pair of white Le Specs on special occasions otherwise it's a white pair of Ruby Project.

oncewasagolfer
24th February 2013, 03:46 PM
Just tried some araldite will see if that holds.

Puji
24th February 2013, 09:56 PM
I'm an abusive clutz and my lenses haven't come close to shattering!!

Johnny Canuck
24th February 2013, 11:16 PM
Contact Tifosi. If I remember correctly, replacement lenses are $10.

timah!
15th November 2013, 10:58 PM
Just bumping an old thread.
Bought a second pair of tifosi sunnies last week.
Seek w/ fototec lenses.
Have to say, these are a quality pair of sunnies.
The fototec lenses work a treat in all light conditions. Very happy with them.

wizard_of_oz
16th November 2013, 01:27 AM
I use the extreme contrast or golf/tennis lenses and find them very sharp and good in reducing glare. Great for the price.

oncewasagolfer
16th November 2013, 08:28 AM
Wearing sundogs now had tifosi previously but had all the lenses crack in the middle.

markTHEblake
16th November 2013, 09:56 AM
I just ordered a pair from www.athletics shades.com they seemed to have a huge range and shipping was not much ( compared to others ).

androooo
16th November 2013, 10:21 AM
I've had Tifosi Tyrants for the last year, and they have been fantastic.

Best sunnies I've ever had under $120 for sure

solarbear
16th November 2013, 10:55 AM
Any models that work for a big head?

benno_r
16th November 2013, 03:31 PM
Any models that work for a big head?

I just got some logic xl's, and they are good for my big noggin.

Shortylook
16th November 2013, 06:03 PM
I'm going to run my oakley's they have polarized lenses so I just won't use when putting.

markTHEblake
16th November 2013, 06:33 PM
Any models that work for a big head? They seem to have two sizes for each model so they probably do

Timbo
20th January 2016, 11:41 AM
I dug up this thread as I want to get some good golf sunglasses and the Tifosi seem to get good reviews.

Is anyone using them?
What are the best current models for golf, and where is the best place to buy them from?
Does anyone recommend another brand/model?

benno_r
20th January 2016, 11:46 AM
I dug up this thread as I want to get some good golf sunglasses and the Tifosi seem to get good reviews.

Is anyone using them?
What are the best current models for golf, and where is the best place to buy them from?
Does anyone recommend another brand/model?

I use Dolomite 2.0, and have a range of lenses - Red AC, Green GT, Grey, Reflective etc. I use the AC on cloudy days (more contrast), and green GT (golf/tennis) on sunny days as it reduces glare while still giving good definition.

I buy them of 'BillytheTree" on ebay US, generally each frame comes with 3 lens sets.

thecollective
20th January 2016, 11:46 AM
Timbo,

I use the bolle golf V3 Modulator / Kicker model and they are fantastic! They also transition really well depending on the light conditions.

I have used Oakley and Rudy Project (for tennis) before and I rate these sunnies better.

timah!
20th January 2016, 12:10 PM
I still have two pairs. Love them. Good quality for a solid price.

Johnny Canuck
20th January 2016, 12:29 PM
Yep. Good goggles.

I prefer my Oakleys, but you can't go wrong at the price.

TheNuclearOne
20th January 2016, 01:08 PM
Got a handful of various Tif's ages ago when $10-$15 and the dollar was parity. Don't use them often fo golf but when i do the GT is excellent. One pair i use as driving glasses as well (not GT) and they are great. Highly recommend.