PDA

View Full Version : Perth Blade Users

Veefore
25th November 2012, 10:25 PM
I've got a real urge to take a break from my Ping G2's and try some blades.
I've never used them, only the occasional single hit with someone else's on the range or course and each time I've hit them really well.

I realise that as a 9 (and heading north) handicapper I'm probably deluding myself.

Because of this, and I'm probably asking waaaaay too much here but there is there any one out there with multiple sets of clubs who wouldn't mind letting me have a shot with their (second or third set of) blades for a comp round or two?

I'm expecting the experience to prove to me that I'm just not good enough for them and this seems like a better idea than spending $$$$ to buy a set that I'll only end up having to get rid off if they don't work out.

I understand that a lot of people aren't like me and treat their clubs like their girl-friends and wouldn't dream of letting someone else touch them, let alone play a round with them. But I thought I'd just ask.

Thanks for reading. :)

dc68
25th November 2012, 10:39 PM
Ahhhh if only you were in Brissy.

idgolfguy
25th November 2012, 11:21 PM
Ahhhh if only you were in Brissy.

Taylormade MBs or Srixon PRO 100s? One of them maybe sold tomorrow otherwise you can borrow them.

They're not as hardy as Pings and they are in pristine condition.

Already sold the Mizuno 37 and 67s and the Nike ProCombos.

TourFit
26th November 2012, 02:28 AM
Dynacraft 1030b / Nippon NSPro 1050 S
TaylorMade TP MB's / DG S300

Take your pick.

TourFit
26th November 2012, 02:47 AM
I will also have a shiny new set of my TourFit blades in play soon too. Not sure what to put in them though?

DG Tour Issue, Nippon Modus3, KBS Tour, Project X...

BayBum
26th November 2012, 08:05 AM
Try the dynacraft's if your looking for a challenge.

Ashes
26th November 2012, 08:46 AM
I will also have a shiny new set of my TourFit blades in play soon too. Not sure what to put in them though?

DG Tour Issue, Nippon Modus3, KBS Tour, Project X...

KBS Tour 90's, +1", around D3 would be perfect ;)

Machair
26th November 2012, 11:49 AM
Excuse me for posting a link to another site, but this is fairly interesting on the topic.

http://forums.iseekgolf.com/forums/40-playing-the-game/topics/51364-blade-experiment-to-lead-to-better-play?page=1

Veefore
26th November 2012, 09:56 PM
Hmmm.....

I didn't expect to have a choice!

ID, thanks for the offer but I don't want to risk damage to something that's pristine.

TF, I was going to wait for Veeman to get his TF blades, which is what kind of got me thinking about it, but I think he's going to chicken out and go for something more forgiving. He was trying to get me to agree to buy them off him if they didn't work out but paying full price for a second hand set of clubs that are made for someone else seems a bit silly.

If it's OK I'll try out the TM blades.

simmsy
1st December 2012, 04:41 PM
KBS Tour 90's, +1", around D3 would be perfect ;)

grow a pair you big girl.

what is with you big fellas?

pieface hits reg flex SS
you're talking about 90gram old boy shafts.

hit the ****ing ball like it's just spat at ya.

Ashes
1st December 2012, 04:57 PM
grow a pair you big girl.

what is with you big fellas?

pieface hits reg flex SS
you're talking about 90gram old boy shafts.

hit the ****ing ball like it's just spat at ya.

They're around 100-102gm in stiff. That's roughly the shaft weight I'm using at the moment, to devastating effect.

Maybe if you accepted your advancing years and got the senior flex graphite shafts you need, you would get a little more distance?!?!

simmsy
1st December 2012, 05:13 PM
95 then trimmed.

Ashes
1st December 2012, 05:16 PM
So what are you playing in your undercuts Simmsy?

simmsy
1st December 2012, 05:19 PM
The appropriate shaft for an old boy with arthritis in his L shoulder.

Tour 90 Stiff.

simmsy
1st December 2012, 05:20 PM
You're a lot younger a lot bigger and should be hitting the ball longer than Mega.

Ashes
1st December 2012, 05:21 PM
Unbelievable. I recall you telling me not long ago that you weren't that much older than me..

How far does Mega hit it?

simmsy
1st December 2012, 05:27 PM
Dvr???? Too far
5i about 220

simmsy
1st December 2012, 05:28 PM
Ur what 6'4"??

Man up billy boy.

Ashes
1st December 2012, 05:32 PM
Fair enough. I bow my head in shame.

Maybe I can work on hitting it further next year and try and regain some respect.

Edit - yeah, 6'4" and 100+kg

Golfnut
1st December 2012, 07:12 PM
Behemoth!

Veefore
2nd December 2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks to Tourfit I ended up getting the Dynacraft's.
Other than the small head, stiffer and heavier shaft, (much) fatter grips and about 3° flatter lie angle they're just like my Pings!

I had my first hit with them off the mats at Rosehill on thursday.

Up to about the 7 irons I quite enjoyed them. The 2 to 6 irons I probably need a bit more time with. They just feel sooooo..... different.

Mububban
3rd December 2012, 11:00 AM
Different good, different bad, or just.......different?

Nuffie
3rd December 2012, 05:57 PM
I still have my Cleveland CG1's with R400s in them that were tipped - to accommodate weights in the heads - to get them to a D2 swingweight.

These get gamed occasionally maybe once or twice a year when I'm really hitting my CG7 Tour (pocket cavities) well. But I still notice the same effect that Veefore did when he hit his irons the other day.

7i to PW always feel great and at a single figure players level, they should. Any miss-hit is usually the result of a poor swing/concentration over the ball.

However with the mid and long irons, the impact position has to be so consistent and head kept so still. The game of inches suddenly becomes a game of millimetres with these clubs.

The only way I might be able to make them work one day is if I could hit those clubs everyday. They feel a million dollars whenever a pure shot is struck AND you want to keep hitting them.

The only problem is that as soon as a miss-hit is struck, the miss ends up being a LOT worse than with my other set and often costs two shots instead of one. And once again understand that I'm not good enough to game them in comp.

To play with them for a fun game is always rewarding, as you can drool over the good shots and not worry about the bad ones being costly.

Veefore
3rd December 2012, 10:13 PM
That's kind of what I'm looking at. When I started playing golf, stainless steel "woods" and cavity back irons were all there was. I've never hit wooden woods and rarely seen blades.

But there is just something l like about a plain, chromed head with no fancy graphics or shapes. It just appeals to me.
So a second set of clubs that I could use occasionally when the mood strikes would be fun I think.

I'm the same with putters. My main putter will NEVER be replaced but I do have a couple of others that I like to have a hit with occasionally, mostly to satisfy my need for something different. If only I could always be satisfied with what I've got, I'd save so much money. :)

Hopefully I'll get to the range to give them another try tomorrow after work.

Vice MC
4th December 2012, 07:56 AM
How about trying a combo set with blades 7-P and cavitys for the rest..I was using a bridgestone J38 combo set and loved it, think ill love my new 59's more tho..

simmsy
4th December 2012, 10:47 AM
mmmmm59's lovem
Or 63's

Ashes
4th December 2012, 10:54 AM
I should really be hitting blades.

hocko
4th December 2012, 11:32 AM
I should really be hitting blades.
And a driver ;)

Ashes
4th December 2012, 11:46 AM
And a driver ;) Haha - Coach IDG has finally convinced me to use it - pulled it out on 13 holes last round!

Veefore
5th December 2012, 10:21 AM
I got to try out the Dynacraft's again yesterday on the spongy Kikuyu at Hartfield.

I'm starting to get a bit more used to the weight and it seems as if it is easier to feel where the club is in the backswing.

I think I pretty much hit them all fairly well with the exception of the 2 iron, which took a bit of work to get good contact with. At first I just kept hitting it clunky and short.

I found that with my usual ball position I was hitting a fairly low shot with a 2-3m fade with the 3-6 irons and my usual strong draw (not quite a hook) with the 9-PW. That is an issue I've had with the shorter clubs for a while now though and it definitely didn't seem any worse with the Dynacrafts than it does with the Ping G2's.

With the ball just inside my left heel I was getting a nice, higher ballflight.

I also spent some time trying to hit a few recovery shots. High draw followed by low fade followed by low draw followed by high fade. Given it takes a while to get used to just how much I have to alter my setup to play these shots I felt that all things considered it was quite successful.

With the range markers so far forward it was quite hard to tell what distances I was hitting them but I'd estimate it to be somewhere around a club shorter than usual.

oturan
6th December 2012, 02:58 PM
Veefore are you a member at hartfield?
I have a set of Miura MB-5003 2-PW you can try out. X100 shafts.

Veefore
6th December 2012, 09:51 PM
I am at Hartfield but I think X100 shafts might be a bit much for my anaemic swing speed. Thanks anyway.

Veefore
15th December 2012, 10:31 PM
I finally got to put a round on the Dynacrafts today.
In practising with them I had come to the conclusion that I would be best off with a mixed set. Blades from 3 to 7 and cavities from 8 to PW.

One big thing I did find was that I could comfortably chip with any of the irons, unlike with the Pings. I find that the fat, high bounce soles on the Pings mean that I end up hitting the ball too low on the face and the ball shoots out low and with lots of run, even with the PW. However I felt really comfortable using the 8 and PW from the Dynacrafts and really liked the way the ball reacted and ran out.

In today's round though I hit double the amount of greens that I have done months (8.). The only issue I found was that I wasn't getting that land-and-jump-forward-3m that I get with the Pings but was mostly getting a little spin back. On 1, 7, 10, 12 and 13 this meant 4+m first putts instead of what would have been 1-2m first putts.

A couple of times I did also find that I let the fact that I had a blade in my hand affect my shot and I did hit some true sh!t shots because of it.

Also, while I was at the range this morning I got to have a hit of a 5 and 6 iron in Tourfit's forged cavities that Veeman had taken along. It was an interesting comparison to the Dynacraft's.
The TF had a tiny bit of offset and what seemed like a larger face area but was really thin behind the ball. One of the clubs had a stepless shaft that Veeman thinks was a Rifle and the other had a stepped shaft that Veeman thinks was a R300. Either way I really loved the feel and ball flight of both the 5 and 6 iron. They were such nice clubs. TF must be pretty proud to have his name on such a nice club.

I would have to say this little experiment has been a success and I'm glad that Tourfit gave me the opportunity to try it.
I also find it a tad ironic that someone whose ball-striking is the worst part of their game could get their best ball-striking round since probably May has it with blades instead of the mega-forgiving Ping G2's. :)

idgolfguy
16th December 2012, 12:58 AM
The bounce on the Gs lead to forgiveness and less digging and fat shots that aren't as noticeable. You are not encouraged to hit down.

The blades will force you to hit with a forward leaning shaft. Your brain/body will adjust to not hitting fat shots because the blade will dig otherwise.

Veefore
16th December 2012, 04:33 AM
Yep.

The main difference I noticed was simply that with my shallow swing I was able to hit the ball a groove or two higher on the face with the blades. Leading to a noticeably higher ball flight than with the Pings.

I used to get the same thing with my Hogan Edge GCD's too.

The Ping's certainly do forgive a chubby much more than the Dynacraft's.

Nuffie
16th December 2012, 02:56 PM
I think I'm becoming a believer too after today's practice round...

My irons have been the worst part of my game for 6 months. Today I ditched the cavities to play blades and shot a 77.

I agree with Veefore, they are lovely to chip with and hit higher on the face due to less bounce.

When you move the ball back an inch and slightly closer to your feet, pure strikes just seem to humding off the club... And hardly even deviate in the air. Distance with each club was also surprisingly good, didn't feel like I lost much on a miss hit today. Weather was warm tho...

Veefore
22nd December 2012, 10:42 PM
Last post on the subject. Thanks again to Tourfit for lending me these clubs to try out. I REALLY appreciate it.

I put another round on the Dynacraft's today. After last weeks fluke of a 79 and 8 GIR's I was expecting reality to set back in today.

Instead I shot 78 and had 9 GIR's with shots just missing the green on 4 other holes.

My biggest problem was actually club selection. A couple of times I was just long and got a huge kick off the back of the green and a couple of times just short. It was probably my best ball striking round all year. Had I made a few of the many 3-5m putts I could have shot anything. I felt I had a genuine chance to make 11 putts that I didn't. On the 13th I stretched a PW to a flag that was in between the PW and 9 and actually pitched the ball less than a foot from the hole. Unfortunately it took a big hop forward then spun back to 6ft short of the hole. I made the putt but that extra backspin I get with the blades certainly requires a slightly different plan to the Pings.

All round I kept hearing from my playing partners that I was hitting it so well and looked so comfortable and confident with the Dyna's that I should be playing blades rather than cavities. I must admit that the 3-7 irons were amazing. The 3 iron especially I was flushing again.

Johnny Canuck
22nd December 2012, 10:49 PM
Get some blades.

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 01:52 AM
Also, while I was at the range this morning I got to have a hit of a 5 and 6 iron in Tourfit's forged cavities that Veeman had taken along. It was an interesting comparison to the Dynacraft's.
The TF had a tiny bit of offset and what seemed like a larger face area but was really thin behind the ball. One of the clubs had a stepless shaft that Veeman thinks was a Rifle and the other had a stepped shaft that Veeman thinks was a R300. Either way I really loved the feel and ball flight of both the 5 and 6 iron. They were such nice clubs. TF must be pretty proud to have his name on such a nice club.

Nope...and nope again. Both lightweight (100g) shafts in S flex. One is stepped and the other stepless. Nothing to do with Rifles and DG's.

Oh, and you are welcome Veefore. Hope it helped.

Ashes
23rd December 2012, 10:14 AM
I really should be hitting blades.

TourFit
23rd December 2012, 08:38 PM
They'd work as golf shoes...but do you have a shirt & belt to match?

Puji
23rd December 2012, 08:58 PM
Hitting blades higher than SGI pings?

idgolfguy
23rd December 2012, 09:33 PM
Traditional blades have much higher lofts than SGIs.

Puji
23rd December 2012, 10:48 PM
I don't want to get into this as its too off topic;

But often; a 'SGI' x-4* iron will have the same launch angle as a x* bladed iron.

Anyway. Carry on.

Veefore
23rd December 2012, 11:02 PM
I can't comment on the loft's of the clubs but I am hitting the shorter irons about 5-6m shorter than the Pings. The mid and long irons are about the same or slightly longer. Personally I put that down to the extra spin I'm getting, which is significant.

I'm also definitely hitting the ball higher on the face by a groove or two which would give that extra spin as well as the higher flight.

I remember an article by Johnny Miller and a follow up one by someone else who I can't remember saying that many pro's work on their trajectory by focussing on trying to hit a particular groove on the face. 3rd groove for a low shot, 5th for normal and 7th for a high flying shot, something like that.

I've also noticed something similar in the past with my own game, although it is not deliberate shot-making, just inconsistent swings.

I'm also very much a sweeper who may take a divot once or twice a round. Added together, all my divots since I've been playing the game would probably just fill one of JC's. :)

I think this is the main reason however I do also remember reading a chart that Maltby's put out rating many clubs and according to them the Ping G2's are NOT a high launching club. They rated it as a mid-launch club and lower than the equivalent TM and Callaway's of the day.

TourFit
24th December 2012, 12:21 AM
Those Dynacraft's are more traditionally lofted Vee...around 49* for the PW and 45* or so for the 9 iron. Compared to Pings that is around 2-3* difference!!!

Shadesy
24th December 2012, 04:20 AM
Bought a cheap set of mizuno ms3's with S300's and even in this cold English weather, I have been melting them!

Look out come the new year.

Veefore
24th December 2012, 10:17 AM
Those Dynacraft's are more traditionally lofted Vee...around 49* for the PW and 45* or so for the 9 iron. Compared to Pings that is around 2-3* difference!!!

Thanks TF. I'm surprised I'm hitting them as far as I am then.

rubin
24th December 2012, 10:30 AM
I don't want to get into this as its too off topic;

But often; a 'SGI' x-4* iron will have the same launch angle as a x* bladed iron.

Anyway. Carry on.

Incorrect.

The number in the bottom of the club is an identifier, not a measure of a clubs loft. No two 4 irons are the same.

simmsy
24th December 2012, 11:24 AM
2013 is gonna be a WAnker blade fest.

Watch those hc's soar.

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 11:43 AM
2013 is gonna be a WAnker blade fest.

Watch those hc's soar.

Won't change much. If they haven't in the last 40 years, why would they now. Every talks about hitting the ball better, its just that golf is not just about hitting the ball better. The other facets haven't improved, just ball striking.

Btw, took your dad's Pings to the range last night. They were sweet and straight. Only about 25m shorter but were a joy. Might play 9 later today.

simmsy
24th December 2012, 12:19 PM
They're a nice feeling wood for sure.

Veefore
24th December 2012, 01:29 PM
I remember an article I saw ages ago. Apparently Ping did a survey of blade buyers and found that most were in the 9-12 handicap range.
In the same survey, they found that blade sellers were mostly in the 12-14 handicap range. :)

simmsy
24th December 2012, 02:01 PM
Haha. Of course Ping would say that.

TourFit
24th December 2012, 06:27 PM
I remember an article I saw ages ago. Apparently Ping did a survey of blade buyers and found that most were in the 9-12 handicap range.
In the same survey, they found that blade sellers were mostly in the 12-14 handicap range. :)

Awesome...I'm off to buy a set of Ping blades then. Oh, wait!

Vice MC
24th December 2012, 07:19 PM
Rocketblades but....

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 09:38 PM
Rocketblades but....
Great, now they are calling slim hybrids, blades.

Puji
24th December 2012, 09:57 PM
blades, cavities, muscles, super/ game improvement, players.

who gives a damn. I know a guy who plays AP1's off a +2.4 handicap. I know a guy who plays off 22 who plays blades.

Johnny Canuck
24th December 2012, 10:03 PM
I went from players cavs to game improvements and love it.

idgolfguy
24th December 2012, 10:39 PM
The low handicappers already know what it feels like to flush a shot..

Playing blades does heighten the feeling when it happens. So the mid handicappers don't get to experience that feeling as often, but with blades, the feelings are fewer but more intense.

bergsey
25th December 2012, 10:25 AM
Playing blades does heighten the feeling when it happens. So the mid handicappers don't get to experience that feeling as often, but with blades, the feelings are fewer but more intense. Sort of like going bare back, better feel but increased risk ! :)Now if I could just find blades ribbed for my pleasure....

TourFit
25th December 2012, 11:35 AM
Golfnut tried that...he only bought a couple, but a week later, after locking them in the garage, he had the whole set in the bag!

veeman
14th January 2013, 01:01 AM
TF I hit the Blade you gave Veefore.... I liked them very nice to hit and the weight felt good ... Veefore talked me into playing them in the comp 34pts for the first time.... with no range time .... a couple of more hits I and could get use to them.... the only thing is they looked a little open to me but very nice

I will bring them to you when I visit you in the next couple of weeks.... thanks

simmsy
14th January 2013, 09:36 AM
Have you been in and organised your GSM auction win set of clubs yet Vee??

veeman
14th January 2013, 11:07 AM
Have you been in and organised your GSM auction win set of clubs yet Vee??

Yep... have done some testing and have dicided what shafts that I will put in them ... you will have to wait and see :wink:
how good I can chop it up... see if the handicap goes up... I mean down

TF has good clubs

Ashes
14th January 2013, 01:22 PM
Yep... have done some testing and have dicided what shafts that I will put in them ... you will have to wait and see :wink: how good I can chop it up... see if the handicap goes up... I mean downTF has good clubs Would have been great to see them in action at Araluen!

TourFit
14th January 2013, 02:10 PM
[-X

veeman
14th January 2013, 04:03 PM
Would have been great to see them in action at Araluen!

Would be nice but VFore and I are through to the next round of the matchplay champs at Harty... maybe next time