PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed on RAZR Fit tip removal/install

Vice MC
23rd November 2012, 09:18 AM
Morning All,

Can anyone give me advice on what i need to do to remove a R11s tip from a shaft and put on a Razr Fit tip/ferrule? Whats this single cog/double cog business all about... I have no clue about any of this, tried doing a search but couldnt find much.. Ill prob get someone else to do it depending on whats involved... Cheers

darkmatter
23rd November 2012, 09:26 AM
Hi,
I'd say look for a thread here or on golfwrx on how to remove a 910 tip, these are very indepth and should also apply to an r11 tip.
In terms of the double-cog/single-cog stuff, i could be wrong but, most tips have adjustable rings or "cogs" that can be rotated to allow for adjustability of loft and lie, a double cog has two of those cogs, so to allow for a greater range of adjustability.

Golfnut
23rd November 2012, 09:26 AM
See a club builder, the RAZR adapters can be tricky and not something I would tackle if you've never done any reshafting before.

Vice MC
23rd November 2012, 09:30 AM
Nice, thanks Gents

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 09:34 AM
It's no different than removing a 910 sleeve than removing a shaft from a normal hosel.
If you have all the right equipment, and time and patience it's no drama.....

simmsy
23rd November 2012, 09:47 AM
Removing the tips is easy, but you will still need a shaft puller.

Make sure on the RF tips u remove the plastic mould at the end of the tip prior to applying heat on removal. They come off easy with gentle pressure using a pair of pliers.

hocko
23rd November 2012, 10:12 AM
And when refitting don't fill the end with glue!

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 10:13 AM
Removing the tips is easy, but you will still need a shaft puller.

Make sure on the RF tips u remove the plastic mould at the end of the tip prior to applying heat on removal. They come off easy with gentle pressure using a pair of pliers.

What is that plastic mould thingo on the end of the tip for anyway?

Vice MC
23rd November 2012, 10:14 AM
Hmmm..might see the boys at the pro shop i thinks

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 10:22 AM
Yep, if you don't have all the gear, get a pro to do it....

Tomson
23rd November 2012, 10:26 AM
Yep, if you don't have all the gear, get a pro to do it....

I think half of the pro's wouldn't even know how to do it.

popper81
23rd November 2012, 10:29 AM
I think half of the pro's wouldn't even know how to do it. The trainee at my course has NO IDEA...

Tomson
23rd November 2012, 10:30 AM
The trainee at my course has NO IDEA...

He's from Cairns, what do you expect. :)

graham_w
23rd November 2012, 10:36 AM
What is that plastic mould thingo on the end of the tip for anyway?

Keeping the cog on ?

I noticed the V2 you sent me didn't have it. Don't have it lying around do you ?

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 10:37 AM
No, I thought they where to protect the screw end when shipping or lying around etc......

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2012, 11:22 AM
I think it helps ensure a snug fit. A mate from a local golf shop told me cally has done a few warranty replacements for them on the tips where the plastic bit has broken or come off.

For the install, I went and saw tourfit. I don't mind doing most of my own clubwork, but these are fiddly, especially with the cally collared ferrule that didn't want to fit perfect.

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 12:12 PM
So is that plastic thingo necessary to keep?

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2012, 12:48 PM
They have replaced them under warranty, so I would guess yes.

Are we talking about the same thing here? The rubber/plastic ring at the very tip?

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 01:05 PM
Yep!

Johnny Canuck
23rd November 2012, 01:28 PM
Maybe check with fit or virge as they would have the most experience.

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 01:41 PM
I've tried fitting with and without, makes no difference.
I do know that it obviously keeps all the cogs from sliding off!!!!

simmsy
23rd November 2012, 03:14 PM
I suggest it helps with keeping the shaft in the head securely and snug. Take away that mould and perhaps extra stress goes on the thread. Works in a similar way to a gland on electrical installations.

Look at it this way, Callaway wouldn't supply the tip with them if they weren't necessary.

TourFit
23rd November 2012, 03:25 PM
I suggest it helps with keeping the shaft in the head securely and snug. Take away that mould and perhaps extra stress goes on the thread. Works in a similar way to a gland on electrical installations.

Look at it this way, Callaway wouldn't supply the tip with them if they weren't necessary.

Amen to that. Cally are the 'Bastards Inc' of shitty little proprietory stuff designed to f**k people up. Did it with i-Mix too.

The tricky thing with both the 910/913 and the RazrFit adapters is that they both use non standard proprietory ferrules. Titleist is a .335" collared ferrule with a LARGE OD to finish flush with the adapter, and Callaway use an extra thick collar on their ferrules (in both .350" and .335") which stops any potential shaft movement in the large 'chamber' which forms inside the top of the adapter.

If you don't use these, then it is a compromise at best.

PeteyD
28th November 2012, 10:25 AM
Where does one get the Cally Ferrule?

Johnny Canuck
28th November 2012, 11:08 AM
EBay, possibly virge or Tourfit. Cost about $4 each I believe.

virge666
28th November 2012, 05:10 PM
EBay, possibly virge or Tourfit. Cost about $4 each I believe.

Yep - we get sent a few extra with each shipment for replacements.

I dont save ferrules. takes too long for the $$$... and they usually look like shit once put back anyway.

Leave the plastic bit on - it reduces the stress on the thread up top.