PDA

View Full Version : Track your Australian Handicap

2golf2
22nd November 2012, 11:28 PM
Hi, I've released a free iPhone app that I think might be useful to all golfers.
It's called "My Handicap" and allows you to see your latest Australian golf handicap.

I originally made it because I got sick of using the mobile website to see my latest handicap.
After I'd made it I thought I'd offer to others incase they too wanted an easy way to check their handicap.

20798 (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8)https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8

(https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8)Please have a go and let me know what you think.
Thanks.

3Puttpete
23rd November 2012, 12:11 AM
Once my Golflink number is in will it automatically update whenever my hcp does?

simmsy
23rd November 2012, 01:09 AM
Is it possible to have your 20 games in the app too??
So you can see when flags are coming off without going to the website.

Leon Phelps
23rd November 2012, 06:42 AM
Hi, I've released a free iPhone app that I think might be useful to all golfers.
It's called "My Handicap" and allows you to see your latest Australian golf handicap.

I originally made it because I got sick of using the mobile website to see my latest handicap.
After I'd made it I thought I'd offer to others incase they too wanted an easy way to check their handicap.

20798 (https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8)https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8

(https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8)Please have a go and let me know what you think.
Thanks.

What makes this any difference to the Golflink and Golflink Mates apps?

Sydney Hacker
23rd November 2012, 07:43 AM
What makes this any difference to the Golflink and Golflink Mates apps?I'm guessing the big difference would be that it is free. Doesn't golflink (& mates by default) have a charge attached to it for the app?

LeftyHoges
23rd November 2012, 07:54 AM
I'm guessing the big difference would be that it is free. Doesn't golflink (& mates by default) have a charge attached to it for the app?

Yeah, $4.99 or $5.99 or something ridiculous. Gave this a try, if you're after your exact handicap figure (ie. 4.3 for me) then it gives you that super quick, otherwise there's nothing else to this app right now.

Handy I suppose for when you're sitting around after your round with your group and they all want to check their handicap.

Leon Phelps
23rd November 2012, 07:54 AM
I'm guessing the big difference would be that it is free. Doesn't golflink (& mates by default) have a charge attached to it for the app?

That would be it.

Leon Phelps
23rd November 2012, 07:57 AM
The mates app is nice, I like the predictor, to see how low I could go in 5 rounds. But realistically to see if I can hit my anchor in 5 rounds.....

Puji
23rd November 2012, 08:10 AM
Nice app! Simple/ fast and easy to use.

Thanks for taking the time to develop it and release it for free.

For some people it's obviously too expensive.

BGH
23rd November 2012, 09:07 AM
If anyone is interested I wrote an Android one a while back. Not on the Play Store because someone from Golflink told me they will ask me to take it down if I ever put it up there. It allows you to keep track of multiple handicaps, view top 20 rounds, predict handicap after next score etc.

PM me and I can send it to you if you like

LeftyHoges
23rd November 2012, 09:23 AM
If anyone is interested I wrote an Android one a while back. Not on the Play Store because someone from Golflink told me they will ask me to take it down if I ever put it up there. It allows you to keep track of multiple handicaps, view top 20 rounds, predict handicap after next score etc.

That looks kinda awesome BGH! Nearly makes me wish I had an android phone. Nearly.

Steve57
23rd November 2012, 09:27 AM

PM sent

Captain Nemo
23rd November 2012, 09:31 AM
I don't know how useful it would be?
Timinsa emailed me a link where you insert your golflink no and it creates a webpage thingo that sits on your iPhone like an app, updates in real time amd shows your last 20 games.....

2golf2
23rd November 2012, 10:22 AM
Once my Golflink number is in will it automatically update whenever my hcp does?

The app checks for changes to your handicap every time you open it.
So as soon as your handicap changes, you will see it when you go back into the app.

Thanks for having a look at the app, and for your interest.

2golf2
23rd November 2012, 10:28 AM
Is it possible to have your 20 games in the app too??
So you can see when flags are coming off without going to the website.

Yes, this is definitely something that I want to put into the app.
I just first wanted to see if other golfers were actually interested in the app before I go work on that extra functionality.
So, I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for your interest and feedback.

peter_rs
23rd November 2012, 12:12 PM
its all about the extras

idgolfguy
23rd November 2012, 01:32 PM
Great app BGH. Thanks and just works!

graham_w
23rd November 2012, 02:10 PM

Awesome. Simple but has everything need without all the fluff of the official app. Cannot honestly see why they wouldnt allow it on the Play Store unless they dont want their app shown up.

Well done mate.

idgolfguy
23rd November 2012, 02:17 PM
Less control than iTunes. I remember a golflink app a couple if years ago. Very similar. Golflink had it removed as it access their data.

Ultimately it compete with their paid app.

rubin
23rd November 2012, 02:25 PM
That looks kinda awesome BGH! Nearly makes me wish I had an android phone. Nearly.

I agree with the Fashionista.

How easily could that be translated to iphone?

idgolfguy
23rd November 2012, 02:41 PM
It won't get past iTunes mods as Golflink own the rights to the data. They have their own paid app.

On IPhone, just save the link to Desktop.

BGH
23rd November 2012, 03:53 PM
I developed it just for my own use and you are the first blokes other than me that have ever used it, hence I must put a disclaimer in that there are probably a multitude of bugs are problems with it. If you find any or have a feature request let me know and I'll see if I can get round to fixing it up when I have spare time.

Awesome. Simple but has everything need without all the fluff of the official app. Cannot honestly see why they wouldnt allow it on the Play Store unless they dont want their app shown up.

Well done mate.

Well yeah they have their own app (although it's quite rubbish) plus they own the data my app uses so I guess technically they have the right to approve which apps/websites can source the data. Not the way I would run a business if it were me but that is their prerogative.

I agree with the Fashionista.

How easily could that be translated to iphone?

Not very easily sorry.

2golf2
23rd November 2012, 03:59 PM
It won't get past iTunes mods as Golflink own the rights to the data. They have their own paid app.

On IPhone, just save the link to Desktop.

If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that my iPhone app didn't have a problem getting past the iTunes mods.

Check it out:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8
(https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8)
Thanks.

BGH
23rd November 2012, 04:01 PM
If you look at the first post in this thread, you'll see that my iPhone app didn't have a problem getting past the iTunes mods.

Check it out:
https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8
(https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/my-handicap/id566316592?mt=8)
Thanks.

Yeah it's not the iTunes mods you need to worry about, I wouldn't be surprised if you get a cease and desist notice from Golflink some time down the track though.

Hux
23rd November 2012, 05:56 PM
Wish I was a lawyer. I would say that you have a particular right of access or ownership to the data through the payment of the fees as part of your subscriptions for admin of handicap. Afterall its data for your handicap you are interested in viewing 99/100.

I reckon a smart ass lawyer with spare time on their hands could probably find some basis for the viewpoint and shove it back in their face.

graham_w
23rd November 2012, 06:31 PM
I developed it just for my own use and you are the first blokes other than me that have ever used it, hence I must put a disclaimer in that there are probably a multitude of bugs are problems with it. If you find any or have a feature request let me know and I'll see if I can get round to fixing it up when I have spare time.

Mate it works great for what you want to see. I gave the link to a mate at work and he installed it too. When I first entered the gokflink it didnt update until I refreshed - maybe get the app to grab the data when you save the golflink for the first time.

Other than that I think its super. Well done and thanks for sharing.

BGH
11th June 2013, 11:11 AM
FYI gang, I've made a few small changes and bug fixes to my little Android handicap checking app so thought I would post a new version for people to try.

Still very beta and there are probably plenty of bugs, but some people might still find it handy

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxb0j0iv81ij6kd/Capsize.apk

25191 25192

Lobsta
11th June 2013, 12:07 PM
Solid app. Now that it works on my phone.

BUSHY
11th June 2013, 01:29 PM
Galaxy Note 2 works very well. Thanks BGH.

BGH
11th June 2013, 01:56 PM
I just remembered one out-standing bug. The handicap predictor wont work properly if you have any "plus" scores in your handicap history. Just bare than in mind (not a problem for most people).

idgolfguy
11th June 2013, 02:28 PM
Works on Nexus phone. Thanks

BGH
4th November 2013, 09:55 PM
Golflink updated their site last week so I have changed my handicap tracking app to accommodate. Requires Android 4.0 or above.

shavey
4th November 2013, 10:50 PM
Great work, job well done!

mrbluu
4th November 2013, 10:58 PM
Awesome app mate.

goughy
4th November 2013, 11:24 PM
Two thumbs up.

oncewasagolfer
4th November 2013, 11:33 PM
nice app thanks.

graham_w
5th November 2013, 06:19 AM
Golflink updated their site last week so I have changed my handicap tracking app to accommodate. Requires Android 4.0 or above.

Thanks for the update.

mrbluu
6th November 2013, 11:54 AM
quick question, how does the handicap predictor work??

oncewasagolfer
6th November 2013, 12:28 PM

You put in a played to for example 8 and it tells you what your exact handicap will be.

oncewasagolfer
6th November 2013, 12:31 PM
I don't think it helped me yesterday as I worked out the night before what I needed to play to drop my handicap to 8. I had it in my head all day and stuffed up:)

backintheswing
6th November 2013, 12:32 PM
Sms316 posted a link once for a web version that his mate designed.

Works in much the same way. I have it saved on my PC at home, if anyone wants the link.

mrbluu
6th November 2013, 12:32 PM
I don't think it helped me yesterday as I worked out the night before what I needed to play to drop my handicap to 8. I had it in my head all day and stuffed up:)
It doesn't seem to work for me...:-(

mrbluu
6th November 2013, 12:34 PM

Works in much the same way. I have it saved on my PC at home, if anyone wants the link.

You mean the jph.net site??

oncewasagolfer
6th November 2013, 12:41 PM
I'm not sure mate it worked fine for me.

Dotty
6th November 2013, 12:43 PM

http://www.jpho.net/gl/index.php?no=2012200011

Captain Nemo
6th November 2013, 12:45 PM
Bloody hell, whos G.L H/cap is that Dotty?

mrbluu
6th November 2013, 12:45 PM
I'm not sure mate it worked fine for me. Thanks for making me feel better :-(

Dotty
6th November 2013, 12:46 PM
Bloody hell, whos G.L H/cap is that Dotty?
A high profile NRL player, that gets starts in State and Vardon events.

Captain Nemo
6th November 2013, 12:50 PM
A high profile NRL player, that gets starts in State and Vardon events.

mmmmm, plenty of St Micks cards in there....:-k

Marto65
6th November 2013, 12:51 PM
A high profile NRL player, that gets starts in State and Vardon events.Does his name start with B and end in raithe?

Captain Nemo
6th November 2013, 12:53 PM
Does his name start with B and end in raith?
Fixed. ;)

Marto65
6th November 2013, 12:54 PM
Who calls their kid Braith anyway? Geez.

Captain Nemo
6th November 2013, 12:55 PM
Mr's A....a?

Marto65
6th November 2013, 12:57 PM
Nope ... not coming to me ... can I buy a vowel? ;)

Captain Nemo
6th November 2013, 01:21 PM
Sold...
A.a..a

markTHEblake
6th November 2013, 01:30 PM
Sms316 posted a link once for a web version that his mate designed. You could also use www.golflink.com.au and some grade 4 maths and make the same calculation in a few seconds, albeit with an error margin of +/- 0.1 but most times you will be on the nose

BGH
6th November 2013, 01:57 PM

Yeah as others have said, just put in a "played to" value and it will tell you what your new handicap will be. Be warned I don't think I ever got round to making it work for "plus" handicaps.

Not something I have to worry about that's for sure.

oncewasagolfer
6th November 2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah as others have said, just put in a "played to" value and it will tell you what your new handicap will be. Be warned I don't think I ever got round to making it work for "plus" handicaps.

Funny you should say that I was having a play around with it the other day and just for kicks put in a + and noticed it didn't work.

mrbluu
6th November 2013, 02:35 PM

yep, I put the number in and nothing happens.....I'm using a samsung S3 if that helps any.....

BGH
6th November 2013, 02:53 PM

That is a really useful little site, I would have done something similar if I knew jQuery rather than Java. Was it SMS's mate who wrote it? I'd be interested in getting in contact with them.

BGH
6th November 2013, 02:54 PM
[/b]
Funny you should say that I was having a play around with it the other day and just for kicks put in a + and noticed it didn't work.

If I get bored tonight I might fix it.

backintheswing
6th November 2013, 03:00 PM
I thin SMS said it was the club champ at Pelican Waters.

LeftyHoges
6th November 2013, 03:03 PM
Who calls their kid Braith anyway? Geez.

Knowing the total sum of **** all about NRL I for years thought his name was Brathan Asta.

Not that that's any better or worse.

The only problem with the jpho site is it assumes an ACR of 72 (or level with the par of the course).

sms316
6th November 2013, 03:40 PM
I thin SMS said it was the club champ at Pelican Waters.He was, but now he doesn't use a cheatstick so he isn't half as good as he once was.
Knowing the total sum of **** all about NRL I for years thought his name was Brathan Asta.Not that that's any better or worse.The only problem with the jpho site is it assumes an ACR of 72 (or level with the par of the course).True, but it isn't difficult to adjust for it.

LeftyHoges
6th November 2013, 03:41 PM
He was, but now he doesn't use a cheatstick so he isn't half as good as he once was.

Is that Jackson?

sms316
6th November 2013, 03:41 PM
Is that Jackson? Correct.

LeftyHoges
6th November 2013, 04:09 PM
Correct.

Bloody former cheats.

backintheswing
6th November 2013, 05:28 PM
You could also use www.golflink.com.au and some grade 4 maths and make the same calculation in a few seconds, albeit with an error margin of +/- 0.1 but most times you will be on the nose

I could if I wanted to use one of the slowest websites around, be bombarded by ads and then have Tim Webster come on and tell me my handicap. No thanks.

idgolfguy
6th November 2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the update!

mrbluu
7th November 2013, 08:01 AM
Knowing the total sum of **** all about NRL I for years thought his name was Brathan Asta.Not that that's any better or worse.The only problem with the jpho site is it assumes an ACR of 72 (or level with the par of the course). Who would call their kid Brathan?

LeftyHoges
7th November 2013, 10:27 AM
Who would call their kid Brathan?

The same tools who call their kid Braith.

At least Brathan is a variation of Nathan. Braith is a variation of nothing.

AndyP
7th November 2013, 10:56 AM
Braith is a name of Welsh origin.
You made Brathan up.
Brathan Hoges seems to flow okay.

LeftyHoges
7th November 2013, 11:06 AM
Braith is a name of Welsh origin.
You made Brathan up.
Brathan Hoges seems to flow okay.

Seems Brathan is a name of UK origins as well.

Brathan Hoggan would be bloody horrible. Not happening. :-)

mrbluu
28th July 2014, 10:03 AM

Neither the app or the link is working for me, is anyone experiencing any issues???

backintheswing
28th July 2014, 10:05 AM
Neither the app or the link is working for me, is anyone experiencing any issues???

Just tried it. 500 internal server error

mrbluu
28th July 2014, 10:06 AM
Just tried it. 500 internal server error

That's what I'm getting as well.

The app hasn't updated any scores for about 3 months.

BGH
28th July 2014, 10:32 AM
That's what I'm getting as well.

The app hasn't updated any scores for about 3 months.

Sorry, didn't realise people were still using the app. I haven't put a new version on here since the new handicapping system/website came in. Here is a new version of the app that should work.

mrbluu
28th July 2014, 10:46 AM
Sorry, didn't realise people were still using the app. I haven't put a new version on here since the new handicapping system/website came in. Here is a new version of the app that should work.

Thanks mate worked at treat!!!

oncewasagolfer
28th July 2014, 11:20 AM
Thanks for the update BGH.

Steve
28th July 2014, 09:20 PM
My one on the I phone has vanished ???

mrbluu
29th July 2014, 07:02 PM
My one on the I phone has vanished ???

Have u tried to reload it???

Steve
29th July 2014, 07:06 PM
Get nothing but the 500 error. And can't open the Dropbox file

mrbluu
29th July 2014, 08:03 PM
Can't help u with iPhone stuff....

Steve
29th July 2014, 08:04 PM
Why not ? I used to open it on jpho.net

mrbluu
29th July 2014, 08:07 PM
Thought u were talking about capsize, I'm getting the same error with jpho.

mrbluu
13th February 2015, 09:58 AM

Hey mate, are there any updates for this?? My app doesn't seem to be working.

BGH
13th February 2015, 11:44 AM
Hey mate, are there any updates for this?? My app doesn't seem to be working.

Sorry mate, just realised yesterday this wasn't working. Will try and fix it over the weekend and upload a new version.

mrbluu
13th February 2015, 02:27 PM
Sorry mate, just realised yesterday this wasn't working. Will try and fix it over the weekend and upload a new version.
Thanks mate. Much appreciated!!!

BGH
17th February 2015, 11:27 AM
Sorry for the delay guys, golflink changed their backend more than I was expecting that had. Just a few more bugs to iron out.

backintheswing
17th February 2015, 12:54 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, golflink changed their backend more than I was expecting that had. Just a few more bugs to iron out.

Is this app only for android?

BGH
17th February 2015, 04:10 PM
Is this app only for android?

Yeah sorry mate, never done any iOS development.

BGH
19th February 2015, 03:00 PM
Here is a version that should work now guys. Let me know if there are any issues and I will try to get round to fixing them.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxb0j0iv81ij6kd/Capsize.apk?dl=0

PM me if you have issues getting it from Dropbox. mrbluu did so I ended up emailing the file to him and it started working. For some reason you are probably going to have to uninstall the old version for this one to work unfortunately.

For those unaware, this is a small Android app that I wrote for tracking your handicap without have to trawl through the ad-infested monstrosity that is the official Golflink site. It contains the same info as the golflink site but allows you to enter numerous golflink IDs so you can keep track of your mates as well.

Usual disclaimers apply. This is an app the I wrote for my own personal use so it comes with no guarantees that it will work on your device and probably has plenty of bugs etc. I am not associated with Golflink in any way.

Rodent
19th February 2015, 08:32 PM
Legend! Nice work.

hippo10
9th March 2015, 02:48 PM
Love the app BGH, good work. One small problem is that it seems to be crashing consistently when I try to refresh. Running it on a galaxy S4.

Steve57
11th March 2015, 07:45 PM
Love the app BGH, good work. One small problem is that it seems to be crashing consistently when I try to refresh. Running it on a galaxy S4.
Same thing happens to me, same phone!

WanLefty
11th March 2015, 09:05 PM
That BGH app is the business.

I have a hard enough time working this system out at the best of times!

BGH
12th March 2015, 08:48 AM

I would hardly call that a small problem :)

Send me the golflink number that it crashes for. Sometimes there are little quirks for individual circumstances that I haven't catered for in the code.

hippo10
12th March 2015, 09:56 PM
I would hardly call that a small problem :)Send me the golflink number that it crashes for. Sometimes there are little quirks for individual circumstances that I haven't catered for in the code. 4060300647

mrbluu
12th March 2015, 09:59 PM
My app has started to crash as well.....

hippo10
12th March 2015, 10:42 PM
Doesn't crash when it's just my number. Only when I add a couple of mates in as well.

BGH
13th March 2015, 08:55 AM
Give this version a shot guys.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxb0j0iv81ij6kd/Capsize.apk?dl=0

Only VERY quickly tested. Whipped it up real quick this morning before work with one of the faulty golflink IDs that Steve57 gave me and seemed to fix the refreshing issue.

(https://www.dropbox.com/s/qxb0j0iv81ij6kd/Capsize.apk?dl=0)

hippo10
13th March 2015, 09:58 AM
Working for me. Thanks BGH!

oncewasagolfer
15th March 2015, 10:24 AM
Thanks for the update bgh working fine on s4. Would it be possible to make the grass shorter in the last 20 rounds so I can see the final entry?☺

BGH
26th May 2015, 02:27 PM
Guys I got sick of the app breaking every time Golflink changed their site so I re-wrote the app and now it should work even if the Golflink site changes. Added in a few new features as well such as a new interface, handicap graph and comp results. I think I will eventually release it in the Play Store but in the meantime I am after beta testers to try it out and let me offer suggestions, find bugs etc. PM me your email if you would like to try it out.

Cheers

BGH

http://i.imgur.com/soGjTYUl.png http://i.imgur.com/xlVBVA4l.png

Steve57
26th May 2015, 02:30 PM
PM sent

mrbluu
26th May 2015, 02:40 PM
Guys I got sick of the app breaking every time Golflink changed their site so I re-wrote the app and now it should work even if the Golflink site changes. Added in a few new features as well such as a new interface, handicap graph and comp results. I think I will eventually release it in the Play Store but in the meantime I am after beta testers to try it out and let me offer suggestions, find bugs etc. PM me your email if you would like to try it out.

Cheers

BGH

http://i.imgur.com/soGjTYUl.png http://i.imgur.com/xlVBVA4l.png
Awesome. Do u have a new Dropbox link for us.

BGH
26th May 2015, 02:55 PM
Awesome. Do u have a new Dropbox link for us.

I'll probably just select a handful of people to send it out to via email for now while I'm trying to beta test, so just send me your email if you are interested.

mrbluu
26th May 2015, 03:02 PM
I'll probably just select a handful of people to send it out to via email for now while I'm trying to beta test, so just send me your email if you are interested.
Count me in again please. Pm coming.

Steve
26th May 2015, 05:35 PM
Yes please

highballin
26th May 2015, 06:49 PM
Pm sent

BGH
26th May 2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks guys, got plenty of testers now. Stay tuned.

mrbluu
27th May 2015, 01:20 PM
Thanks guys, got plenty of testers now. Stay tuned.
New app looks awesome mate, just a couple minor issues and suggestions which I've already emailed u.

Cheers

Mrbluu

BGH
28th June 2015, 06:14 PM
Guys I decided to release my little handicap tracking app to the Play Store, you can grab it here

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=bgh.com.handycap

or search for Handy Cap. If you were using one of the beta versions you will have to uninstall that before installing this version I think. Let me know how it goes.