PDA

View Full Version : Putting help required

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone,

I am getting so frustrated with my putting at the moment, I usually pick the right line but I'm always coming up short (with my putting too :lol:)
I have an Odessy White Ice 2 putter

Any tips or drills that I can do to help? Are the putting training aids that you see at the shops worth buying or is it just practise practise practise??

Vice MC
22nd November 2012, 12:16 PM
Mate im not the best putter in the world, but have shown marked improvement over the last few weeks by simplifying...just concentrating on the shoulders, no arms or hands moving seperate and keeping a nice wide base. Very simple but i think we tend to overthink putting a lot.. either that or use the adams i sent you yest to putt with, wont come up short then!

Lobsta
22nd November 2012, 12:22 PM
I've heard belly putters are good.

popper81
22nd November 2012, 12:27 PM
One that I do..... And we teach the young fellas.

Put three tees down on a putting green in a straight line. The first one isvwhere you will putt from, the next one around 5mts away. Put the last tee about 3 mts after the second one. Now, from the first tee hit a putt as close as you can to the distance of the second tee, but it must pass the second tee. With your next ball, the putt must pass the prior ball, but not pass the last last tee.... Repeat until you run out of room. ( normally between 10-15 putts if you are good) If a putt falls short of the previous ball, start again.

Really improves distance control, and takes the hole out of play.

Stuartd147
22nd November 2012, 12:28 PM
Don't look!!!! Pick your line and keep your head still.

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 01:04 PM
I've heard belly putters are good.

I've read that somewhere on this site, think it was only a small post.......................
Think I will stick to the traditional, to save arguements and ridicule

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 01:06 PM
One that I do..... And we teach the young fellas.

Put three tees down on a putting green in a straight line. The first one isvwhere you will putt from, the next one around 5mts away. Put the last tee about 3 mts after the second one. Now, from the first tee hit a putt as close as you can to the distance of the second tee, but it must pass the second tee. With your next ball, the putt must pass the prior ball, but not pass the last last tee.... Repeat until you run out of room. ( normally between 10-15 putts if you are good) If a putt falls short of the previous ball, start again.

Really improves distance control, and takes the hole out of play.

Thanks popper81,

Guess Im off to the practise putting green this arvo after work

razaar
22nd November 2012, 01:09 PM
Putt with two small rubber band 1/2 inch apart with the sweetspot in the centre. Learn to hit the sweetspot on the putter face. Missing the sweetspot is a miss hit which loses distance and causes the ball to deflect a bit sideways at impact same as in the long game. It is that simple.

mrbluu
22nd November 2012, 01:14 PM
Have u tried changing the length of your putter? I was recently having the same issue. I switched putters back and forth and that did work, so I got my putter shorten and the feel was 100 times better.

Good luck

Dangals
22nd November 2012, 01:29 PM
Take it one step further and get fitted for a putter so you will know exactly what length, weight etc you need for your stroke.

I was having similar issues (leaving longer putts short) and then I got fitted and had a putter built to my specs and have never putted better. Turned out I needed a putter that was shorter as well as heavier and it just feels so much better to putt with.

3Puttpete
22nd November 2012, 01:34 PM
Chip in

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 01:37 PM
Chip in

Probably the best advice I could get from someone with your user name....................:lol:

popper81
22nd November 2012, 01:38 PM
Chip in

Probably the best advice I could get from someone with your user name....................:lol:

Well played lads :)

mrbluu
22nd November 2012, 01:39 PM
Take it one step further and get fitted for a putter so you will know exactly what length, weight etc you need for your stroke. I was having similar issues (leaving longer putts short) and then I got fitted and had a putter built to my specs and have never putted better. Turned out I needed a putter that was shorter as well as heavier and it just feels so much better to putt with.I've played a round with Dangals and I can vouch that he putts the eyes out of the ball!!!

Captain Nemo
22nd November 2012, 02:00 PM
Get one of these:
http://www.boomgolf.com.au/
:smt044
(sorry couldnt resist):wink:

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 02:15 PM
Get one of these:
http://www.boomgolf.com.au/
:smt044
(sorry couldnt resist):wink:

Knew someone would do it......

WBennett
22nd November 2012, 02:32 PM
Having watched you the last few weeks, you drop kick it too often on long putts. Your short putting seems fine, but have missed a couple of 3 or 4 footers. Spend 5 minutes of your warm up knocking in 2, 3, 4 and 5 footers to get the confidence up. Treat that 3 foot putt with the same value as that 250m drive.

How many putts are you having a round? Count the ones on the first cut of fringe, discount anything out of the longer stuff. I reckon anything less than 32 is pretty good going.

With the big greens at GLGC, there are some greens where 3 putts are almost inevitable if you are on the half to the pin - think 3, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11, 12, 13 16 and 18 as holes where you can easily have a 25 metre putt if you end up on the wrong half of the green.

Yossarian
22nd November 2012, 03:13 PM
Buy a scotty. :smt044

Captain Nemo
22nd November 2012, 03:26 PM
Buy a Ping?

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 03:27 PM
Buy a scotty. :smt044

I have been looking at these, are they worth the hype? Everyone that has them raves about how good they are.
Any idea of price range and where I would go to get/try one?

Captain Nemo
22nd November 2012, 03:37 PM
I have been looking at these, are they worth the hype? Everyone that has them raves about how good they are.
Any idea of price range and where I would go to get/try one?

Not really, buy a Ping....

Monsta
22nd November 2012, 03:44 PM
Not really, buy a Ping....

I have been looking at the Ping Anser 4... yet to try it tho

BayBum
22nd November 2012, 03:47 PM
I like to practice putting with my right hand only. If you dont follow through you wont reach the hole ! Disregard, to a degree, what line the ball takes - just get it past the hole.

Playing a couple of holes by yourself like this doesn't hurt either.

TourFit
22nd November 2012, 06:15 PM
If you're coming up short, try adding the extra weights on the White Ice...up to 360g and then the 370g. If you don't have them, just use lead tape to see if extra weight is an issue.

And get the putter cut to the right length, loft and lie for you and your stance. That is THE single most important thing you can do for your putting.

DaveK
22nd November 2012, 08:35 PM
I'm new here, but here goes...
A general rule for any sport it seems except golf is to practise like you play (i.e. putting the same pressure on yourself in practise as you do while you play). I consider myself to be a good putter and i attribute a lot of that to the hours and hours of just putting comps we used to have when i was a junior, we would go round and round playing "The Masters" on the putting green after we'd finished playing on a Saturday afternoon.
I think any drill like the one Popper suggested where you can compete against yourself or someone else will help you improve.

Courty
22nd November 2012, 08:42 PM
In my case, poor distance control comes when my wrists start breaking just before impact (kind of a flip at the ball), which throws out the timing of the stroke. When I feel this beginning to happen, I concentrate on maintaining the angle of the leading wrist (ie. left wrist for a right-handed putter). Do this and you will notice immediate improvement in the way the ball rolls (less bounce/ skid, more roll end-over-end).

mike
22nd November 2012, 09:34 PM
Listen to Courty. He has the purest putting stroke you'll ever see.

Pisses me off.

rowey
22nd November 2012, 09:50 PM
Bite the bullet & get a Belly putter.

Courty
22nd November 2012, 10:19 PM
Listen to Courty. He has the purest putting stroke you'll ever see.

Pisses me off.

:lol:

mike
23rd November 2012, 08:23 AM
Not pissing in your pocket courty. When you're putting well, which is pretty much any time we play, you have a composure about your putting that is a joy to watch. ( I'd write 'no homo' there but that little gem is really starting to get on my nerves )

Courty
23rd November 2012, 08:31 AM
I'm probably just extra focused because I really don't want to be beaten by someone so short. :p

mike
23rd November 2012, 08:35 AM
Last time I give you a compliment.

Monsta
23rd November 2012, 08:39 AM
Last time I give you a compliment.

I thought all compliments on this site were sarcastic?????????