PDA

View Full Version : WTB: New driver

Courty
24th October 2005, 11:03 PM
Alright you Ho's & eBay junkies: I'm in the market for a new driver. I love the TM R580 I am currently using, but it's getting to retirement age. I've been really happy with it (and considering the rest of my bag is TM) I will probably stick with TM. I'm basically only after a new head, as I will swap the Rifle Graphite I have in my current driver. 2 more things: it must be no more than 400cc, and must be at least 9.5° (preferably 10.5°). I have spotted an R540XD on eBay which is a good possibility, but wanted to see what else is out there...

markTHEblake
24th October 2005, 11:14 PM
I have some TM's for sale
R7 9.5, R510 8.5 and a 360ti 8.5
all Tour versions to get you salivating.

http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=56143
http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=60173
http://www.ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=49558

Jarro
25th October 2005, 07:09 AM
Courty, the 540XDTour that pathumd has for sale is an awesome club at a terrific price :mrgreen:

seriously mate, at that price, i can't see how you could go past it.

BrisVegas
25th October 2005, 07:24 AM
I know you like Koolaid, but.... kwantfm has got a great 983E TOUR for $260.

http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3078

Gorgeous shape, square, deep face, good shaft etc. Can't go wrong at that price.

Courty
25th October 2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for your suggestions so far guys...

I have some TM's for sale
R7 9.5
Too expensive

R510  8.5
not enough loft

360ti 8.5
not enough loft

the 540XDTour that pathumd has for sale is an awesome club at a terrific price. seriously mate, at that price, i can't see how you could go past it. As above, and also in that thread, this club does not have enough loft for me & my crappy swing.

I know you like Koolaid, but.... kwantfm has got a great 983E TOUR for $260
Hmmmm. This has potential. You know, the funny thing is, since the 975 came out, I have never hit a Titleist driver. I think I will have to find someone who has one & check it out first (assuming it hasn't already gone through eBay) It does look very nice though. =P~

andylo
25th October 2005, 08:56 AM
Courty, want a TOUR 905T with 10.5 loft?

Matt 3 Jab
25th October 2005, 09:18 AM
the 983E is a machine of a driver, goes nice and long, sites square and feels good, go for it!

peter_rs
25th October 2005, 09:23 AM
Courty go to Golf works or look at 983K series on ebay.com you can pick one up with a good shaft for $150- that is pure value.

Go the K over a E.

Courty
25th October 2005, 09:33 AM
Courty go to Golf works

That would be the ideal solution, however, the nearest Golfworks is over 2000km away. :shock:

There are some retailers here, but their range is limited.

3oneday
25th October 2005, 09:48 AM
510 Tour New 10.5 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-Taylor-Made-R510-TOUR-DRIVER-10-5-w-FUJIKURA_W0QQitemZ7190518529QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ 1QQcmdZViewItem)
NEW 510TP 10.5 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/B-N-Taylor-Made-R510-TP-DRIVER-10-5-w-FUJIKURA-TOUR_W0QQitemZ7190594242QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)
NEW R7 10.5 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/B-N-Taylor-Made-R7-QUAD-TITANIUM-DRIVER-10-5-w-STIFF_W0QQitemZ7190557158QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem)

peter_rs
25th October 2005, 10:11 AM
Courty alo or me could HO you a good deal if you know the club you want.

eg I know golf works has

9.5* 983K with a 4560 stiff shaft 240cpm
9.5* 983K with a Ys-6 stiff shaft 242cpm
9.5* 983e with a 757 stiff shaft 250cpm
10.5* 983K with a 4560 stiff shaft 240cpm
8.3* 983e with a 757 stiff shaft 250cpm

all around $200 or less. I was using them on the launchie on friday arvo- they are all in good nick, and you can get a better deal because they know the ebay price and have a lot of the 983 series.

BrisVegas
25th October 2005, 11:59 AM
Courty alo or me could HO you a good deal if you know the club you want.

eg I know golf works has

9.5* 983K with a 4560 stiff shaft 240cpm
9.5* 983K with a Ys-6 stiff shaft 242cpm
9.5* 983e with a 757 stiff shaft 250cpm
10.5* 983K with a 4560 stiff shaft 240cpm
8.3* 983e  with a 757 stiff shaft 250cpm

Courty, have you been on a launch monitor at a club-fitters for a recommendation? I suspect you'd want a fair bit stiffer shaft than any of these. As I understand it, 250 cpm is REG flex, 260 is STIFF and 270 is X-STIFF. I suspect you'd need at least 260cpm as you are a bit of a monster. :wink: Too wippy a shaft can do you harm, in a big-hook kinda way. :shock:

As peter has mentioned there are stacks of the 983 series around. The "K" is closed-faced and shallower to help get the ball up in the air and drawing. The E is the "players" club with a deeper, square face that launches a little flatter for more workability. Both great clubs and cheap as chips now!

Courty, want a TOUR 905T with 10.5 loft?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Was wondering when Andylo would speak up. Nice club he's got there too. 8)

peter_rs
25th October 2005, 12:19 PM
Courty, have you been on a launch monitor at a club-fitters for a recommendation?

great Idea-Key values to look at
club head/ball speed
launch angle/RPM

I suspect you'd want a fair bit stiffer shaft than any of these.  As I understand it, 250 cpm is REG flex, 260 is STIFF and 270 is X-STIFF.  I suspect you'd need at least 260cpm as you are a bit of a monster.  :wink:   Too wippy a shaft can do you harm, in a big-hook kinda way.  :shock:  

Not true.

Flex- depends on a lot of things eg length and torque etc.

If you can forget the flex printed on a shaft and use a launchie. I have seen shafts stamped stiff have cpms from 235-295. One of my LD shafts are stamped XX but cpm at 260.

Having said that what is your swing like-
-slow/fast?
-quick change from backswing to down swing?
-Whats your ball flight now(with what club/shaft) do you what the same ball flight or different?
-Do you know your avg swing speed?

jaster
25th October 2005, 01:01 PM
What is frequency?

Frequency is the measurement of the butt stiffness (stiffness at the grip end) of a particular shaft. For years custom clubfitters have used butt frequency as the measurement tool to compare the specific stiffness between various shafts. The shaft is placed into a frequency analyzer and oscillated either up and down or side to side. A counter on the analyzer calculates the cycles per minute (CPM). The higher the CPM reading, the stiffer the shaft and visa-versa. However, butt frequency does not take into account the tip design of a particular shaft. Therefore it is critical to identify the type of ball flight you desire to achieve and find a shaft with proper tip characteristics to optimize trajectory. Visit www.shaftfit.com for more information about finding the right shaft for your game.

jaster
25th October 2005, 01:12 PM
Courty - Why is the 580 past it's use by date? Is it just cause you have the Hoing urges or is it really not performing? I am sure you have already asked yourself this stuff but just thought I would bring it up ;)

As for the 983E that Terrence is selling, buy it if you have the $$ and it is available...simply a super club and a killer deal for a genuine TOUR item. The Fuji SIX is the most underrated shaft around and gets quite a bit of use on Tour. (Apples for one uses it) Ask Vegas and Nudgee about the 983E tour that Nudgee use to own...I think phrases like "best driver I have ever hit" and "Bloody long" were used :P

About CPMs, it is always good to know what "CPM" a shaft has and try and fit it to your Swing Speed. My SS when healthy was around 115mph on 3 different Launch monitors. The GCI fitting that I had suggested I should use around a 265-170cpm...My Current driver which is a G2 with an ACCRA SE80 CPMs at 292 :oops: But I find it easier to hit than most other shafts I have ever tried ;) as the tip is quite flexible, not too waggle but to hit and when I hit it properly I have never felt such power ever before in a club and there is no way I can get too fast for the shaft ;)

Anyway, hope this helps....you have done the right thing but asking us experts first :roll: :lol:

BrisVegas
25th October 2005, 01:31 PM
My SS when healthy was around 115mph on 3 different Launch monitors. The GCI fitting that I had suggested I should use around a 265-170cpm...My Current driver which is a G2 with an  ACCRA SE80 CPMs at 292 :oops:

DAMN!!! Are you sure you haven't just jammed one of jono's speedsticks in your G2?? :shock: :shock:

GCI put me in the same range as you (265-270cpm) based on my 110 mph swing speed.

Courty is taller than me I think, so would have to be around 110 mph range at least... But yeah, definitely visit a club-fitter with a launch monitor to see what they recommend.

Courty
25th October 2005, 01:49 PM
Having said that what is your swing like-
-slow/fast?
-quick change from backswing to down swing?
-Whats your ball flight now(with what club/shaft) do you what the same ball flight or different?
-Do you know your avg swing speed?

I have been on the swing speed monitor at Drummond. Using a 5-iron, I was swinging around 80-85mph, which I believe translates to around 105mph or a little more with a driver.
I keep my backswing smooth & slow & try to maintain an ever-so-slight pause at the top (nothing like what I understand jarro's is like :P ) and then accelerate through the ball.
The ballflight I have now is ideal. The trajectory is just right and quite piercing. The club is an R580 10.5° with Rifle Graphite stiff.I have not been able to track down any specs for this shaft - it came already installed in the R580 (ex-demo). As I said earlier, I am most likely to get this same shaft put in the new club.

I have found a R540XD 10.5° on eBay which is leading atm. However, I am searching for a R510TP. If I can find one in 10.5° (for the right price of course) it will probably be a winner.

Just got back from Drummond, but they were flat-out & I couldn't get on the launch monitor. I will try again tomorrow before I head to the course.

jaster
25th October 2005, 01:51 PM
LOL...I know..when I bought it I was shocked what the reading was but was assured that it does not play that stiff....luckily it does not but to waggle you would think that it is shafted with a crow bar...I think you waggled it at Oxley the other day 8)

Courty
25th October 2005, 01:53 PM
I just went through the www.shaftfit.com thingie. It recommended a Prolaunch 75 in X-flex :shock: .

BrisVegas
25th October 2005, 01:57 PM
Courty, the Rifle Graphite is the shaft I had in my 975 JVS when I bought it.  It was quite heavy, with high torque from what I remember.  Also, I think the kickpoint/bendpoint was pretty high.  Not sure who it was designed to help, but i struggled with it.  After a visit to GCI, I ended up in a 60 gram, low torque, low kickpoint shaft that really helped me launch the ball higher and tighter.  My tempo is slow and i really don't load up a shaft too much in the transition.  Possibly i wasn't strong enough for the Rifle graphite or something.

jaster
25th October 2005, 02:02 PM
Nothing wrong with the Prolaunch 75...great shaft IMO Ask Jim Furyk ;)

The ballflight I have now is ideal. The trajectory is just right and quite piercing. The club is an R580 10.5° with Rifle Graphite stiff.

And your looking for a new club because? :wink: :lol:

What colour is that shaft? grey and black?

Courty
25th October 2005, 02:06 PM
Nothing wrong with the Prolaunch 75...great shaft IMO Ask Jim Furyk

It's not the fact that it's a Prolaunch, it's the fact that it's X-flex! I have had a swing with a Grafalloy Blue in Stiff & it was like a broomstick: I couldn't get the thing in the air. And they recommend even stiffer!

And your looking for a new club because?  :wink:  :lol:
What colour is that shaft? grey and black?

The old one is scratched & chipped to buggery. IT looks quite sad in a bag full of new gear.

The shaft has silver paint at the top (grip end) and has clear lacquer over the rest so you can see the fibres.

Jarro
25th October 2005, 02:14 PM
I am searching for a R510TP. If I can find one in 10.5° (for the right price of course) it will probably be a winner.

great choice mate .... simply an awesome driver 8)

get the right shaft in this baby and you'll never need another driver :wink:

P.S. my pause is on the way out too i might add :x

jaster
25th October 2005, 02:15 PM
Horrible scratchy clubheads :P I agree....but hey..it works ;)

Not sure on that rifle, I have used one that is a light grey all over with a black Diamana type Oval logo in a 3 wood and it was a good shaft....had it in a 13.5° 975f...long club!! Now I think of it maybe it did have the fibres exposed...is this it?

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/spas/img10631654337.gif

Courty
25th October 2005, 02:26 PM
is this it?

http://image.www.rakuten.co.jp/spas/img10631654337.gif

Yep, that looks like the one, except mine has no specs on it, no S for Stiff or anything. :? Maybe they scratched it off?

Jarro
25th October 2005, 02:27 PM
Courty, get Nudgee to get you a Diamana :wink:

Courty
25th October 2005, 02:29 PM
Courty, get Nudgee to get you a Diamana  :wink:

Honestly guys, I'm happy with the shaft, I'm really only after a new head.

Pinglauncher
25th October 2005, 02:37 PM
Courty, others have mentioned it and I would say -

Ring or contact Terence as quickly as you can regarding the 983E. It is in mint condition and the Fuji SIX is possibly the best shaft I have hit. I have demoed the club and the ball flight to me is the same as my 10.5* R7 TP. I think if you saw it you would buy it in a heartbeat.

At this price the club is a STEAL as the shaft is worth more than what Terence is asking for it.

Courty
25th October 2005, 02:43 PM

Ring or contact Terence as quickly as you can regarding the 983E. It is in mint condition and the Fuji SIX is possibly the best shaft I have hit. I have demoed the club and the ball flight to me is the same as my 10.5* R7 TP. I think if you saw it you would buy it in a heartbeat.

At this price the club is a STEAL as the shaft is worth more than what Terence is asking for it.

PL, as I have also mentioned, I have never tried a Titleist driver. I have only picked them up in the shops and waggled them. I would need to hit one on the course or the range first. I'm not going to jump in & buy it 'cos it's a good deal. I want to see if I like them first. To me, the way a club sits and appeals to my eye is just as important as how it performs. That's why I can't/ won't buy a Callaway FT-3/ Hogan CS-3 or Ping G2.

3oneday
25th October 2005, 02:47 PM
PL, as I have also mentioned, I have never tried a Titleist driver. I have only picked them up in the shops and waggled them. I would need to hit one on the course or the range first. I'm not going to jump in & buy it 'cos it's a good deal. I want to see if I like them first. To me, the way a club sits and appeals to my eye is just as important as how it performs. That's why I can't/ won't buy a Callaway FT-3/ Hogan CS-3 or Ping G2.sooooo, your local proshop has killer whales ???? (not that there is anything wrong with that :wink: )

What can you actually demo then ?? Srixon ?? Hogan ?? TaylorMade ?? those links I put in are for thegolfhabit, a pretty fine seller in the states. You may struggle to buy head only but if you look in ebay.com in drivers and do a search for "head only" you would usually get about 30 results.

Pete

Courty
25th October 2005, 02:51 PM
What can you actually demo then ?? Srixon ?? Hogan ?? TaylorMade ?? those links I put in are for thegolfhabit, a pretty fine seller in the states. You may struggle to buy head only but if you look in ebay.com in drivers and do a search for "head only" you would usually get about 30 results.

Pete,

I only meant those particular (latest) models, not all Callaways, Hogans or Pings.

I did check them out, they look nice. I will probably put some bids in, but I'm wary of buying from overseas sellers (extra freight/ customs/ waiting for weeks).

Pinglauncher
25th October 2005, 02:55 PM

PL, as I have also mentioned, I have never tried a Titleist driver. I have only picked them up in the shops and waggled them. I would need to hit one on the course or the range first. I'm not going to jump in & buy it 'cos it's a good deal. I want to see if I like them first. To me, the way a club sits and appeals to my eye is just as important as how it performs. That's why I can't/ won't buy a Callaway FT-3/ Hogan CS-3 or Ping G2.

I was not trying to say buy it because it's a good deal. I have always liked and bought TM drivers and was not real keen on Titleists except the 975D shape. This is simply the best Titleist I have seen "to my eye"

Having seen and hit the club I was offering my impressions on looks, feel and ball flight.

My apologies if it seemed any other way :cry:

Courty
25th October 2005, 02:57 PM
Having seen and hit the club I was offering my impressions on looks, feel and ball flight.

My apologies if it seemed any other way  :cry:

No offence taken PL. Maybe my reply sounded a bit harsh, but I was just reiterating that I need to try one out first. :wink:

Jarro
25th October 2005, 03:21 PM
Courty, honestly... the 540XDTour in 8.5* will still hit the ball plenty high. It's also one of the most solid feeling drivers you'll ever hit ... almost as solid as the R7Shallow that 300driversinayearandaday raves about :roll:

i know that your heart is saying TaylorMade :wink:

Courty
25th October 2005, 03:25 PM
Courty, honestly... the 540XDTour in 8.5* will still hit the ball plenty high. It's also one of the most solid feeling drivers you'll ever hit ... almost as solid as the R7Shallow that 300driversinayearandaday raves about  :roll:

i know that your heart is saying TaylorMade  :wink:

All bets are on hold atm as I am currently winning an eBay Auction for a 10.5° R510TP. :wink: The auction ends on Thursday morning, so I'll let you know what happens...

BrisVegas
25th October 2005, 03:30 PM
good luck mate. :) The 510TP is about the only TM I'd consider. :wink:

Jarro
25th October 2005, 03:31 PM
Courty, honestly... the 540XDTour in 8.5* will still hit the ball plenty high. It's also one of the most solid feeling drivers you'll ever hit ... almost as solid as the R7Shallow that 300driversinayearandaday raves about  :roll:

i know that your heart is saying TaylorMade  :wink:

All bets are on hold atm as I am currently winning an eBay Auction for a 10.5° R510TP. :wink:  The auction ends on Thursday morning, so I'll let you know what happens...

good luck mate 8)

Courty
25th October 2005, 10:24 PM
http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/33/9a/6d_1.JPG
=P~ =P~ =P~ [-o<

My mind's made up. Whether I win this auction or not, I'm getting an R510TP. I have hit one before & they are primo! Thanks for all your help guys.

Jarro
26th October 2005, 02:20 AM
WOW .. brand new still in the plastic 8)

go hard son :wink:

3oneday
26th October 2005, 05:28 AM
go hard son  :wink: :shock: :shock:

It's probably not THAT exciting for him !!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

goughy
26th October 2005, 05:41 AM
I know I'm late but my computer was down. Just wondering courty? You were tested at 80 to 85mph with 5 iron. At gci a couple of years ago I was tested at 82mph 5 iron which equated to 97mph with driver. They said your driver was about 15mph above your 5 iron.

And with regards to how stiff the blue shaft wasm that's pretty normal for them. I had one in reg flex in a nemisis head and I still think it was stiffer than the 757x in my 360tour head.

Jarro
26th October 2005, 07:11 AM
go hard son  :wink: :shock:  :shock:

It's probably not THAT exciting for him !!!!

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

he's a young fella mate, at least he CAN :roll:

what's your excuse :P :lol:

3oneday
26th October 2005, 07:20 AM
what's your excuse  :P  :lol:I've seen a picture of you, scarred me for life :shock: :shock:

:lol: :lol:

Jarro
26th October 2005, 07:23 AM
what's your excuse  :P  :lol:I've seen a picture of you, scarred me for life  :shock:  :shock:

:lol:  :lol:

.. obviously no mirrors in the Dudgeon household then 'eh mate :roll: :lol:

Courty
26th October 2005, 08:05 AM
I know I'm late but my computer was down.  Just wondering courty?  You were tested at 80 to 85mph with 5 iron.  At gci a couple of years ago I was tested at 82mph 5 iron which equated to 97mph with driver.  They said your driver was about 15mph above your 5 iron.

G-Man, check out this thread here (http://ozgolf.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1048&highlight=mph)

I've been slack, or just had poor-timing: I never got back to Drummond to get my Driver S/S measured. I will say this though: I try to maintain a nice smooth swing with my irons, but because my driver is pretty forgiving, I do go after it a bit more... :?

Besides, that thread was a year ago, my swing is a probably completely different animal now. :roll: :wink:

3oneday
27th October 2005, 07:48 AM
Righto Courty, you letting this thing go for a measley $20 ????
NEW 510TP 10.5 (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/B-N-Taylor-Made-R510-TP-DRIVER-10-5-w-FUJIKURA-TOUR_W0QQitemZ7190594242QQcategoryZ115280QQrdZ1QQc mdZViewItem)

Get stuck in mate !!!!!!!!! 16 minutes to go !!!

Pete

Courty
27th October 2005, 08:09 AM
Righto Courty, you letting this thing go for a measley $20 ????

Get stuck in mate !!!!!!!!! 16 minutes to go !!!

What the? $20? It sold for $230 USD :-k

I did have a bid on it earlier on, but got outbid, now I'm bidding on another identical one.

Jarro
27th October 2005, 08:11 AM
c'mon Courty .... we Ho's are gettin' mighty impatient here :lol:

send us a link to the one you're bidding on now so i can see how you go 8)

3oneday
27th October 2005, 08:13 AM
What the? $20? It sold for $230 USD :-k

I did have a bid on it earlier on, but got outbid, now I'm bidding on another identical one.Sorry mate, there was an Aussie who dipped out at $225, I thought it musta been you !!!

Pete

Courty
27th October 2005, 08:33 AM
Sorry mate, there was an Aussie who dipped out at $225, I thought it musta been you !!!

Oh, I get it now. Sorry mate... #-o

Yeah, that was me. Don't worry, I won't let it happen again on the next one. :wink:

Courty
28th October 2005, 09:09 AM
Thanks to all for your help & guidance, especially 3oneday.
I am now the proud owner of a
BRAND NEW RETAIL VERSION MENS RIGHT HANDED Taylor Made R510 TP TOUR PREFERRED (390cc) TITANIUM DRIVER equipped with 10.5 degrees of loft. THIS AWESOME DRIVER is equipped with UPGRADED FUJIKURA TOUR PLATFORM 27.3 STIFF FLEX GRAPHITE SHAFT AND LAMKIN GRIP. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

http://i24.ebayimg.com/03/i/05/3c/05/7d_1.JPG

http://i23.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/3c/7e/b5_1.JPG

http://i24.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/3c/05/90_1.JPG

http://i21.ebayimg.com/04/i/05/34/dc/35_1.JPG

I'm curious about this shaft. Has anyone hit one? If I don't like it, I'll swap it for the Rifle Graphite in my current one and sell this one.

3oneday
28th October 2005, 09:38 AM
I'm curious about this shaft. Has anyone hit one? If I don't like it, I'll swap it for the Rifle Graphite in my current one and sell this one.Courty,

Check in over the weekend mate, I just happen to have the same shaft in a club I just received from thegolfhabit. Gunna whip the plastic off my Shallow  8) and give it a crack tomorrow.

Supposedly the shaft is high launch and low spin, the only concern I have is the weight of it but we will see. I'll report in on Saturday at some stage.

Grip, whilst relatively cheap, feels pretty good as well.

Pete

PS, congrats !!!!!!!!

Pinglauncher
28th October 2005, 10:19 AM
Courty, good pickup :wink:

The Tour Platforms are super shafts. I have a 26.3 in my R5 and it is a great combo and the 27.3 would be a little tighter again.

I think you and your new bride will be very happy 8)

BrisVegas
28th October 2005, 10:21 AM
Good work courty! Nice club, sounds like it will give you the high bombs you are after. 8)

kwantfm
28th October 2005, 02:32 PM
I'm a big fan of the Tour Platform shaft and have owned 3... As advertised they are high launch and low spin with a silky smooth feel.

Jarro
28th October 2005, 04:14 PM
congrats Courty, they're an awesome club.

can't see from the above pics, but does it have a seriel number engraved on it anywhere :wink:

3oneday
28th October 2005, 04:16 PM
can't see from the above pics, but does it have a seriel number engraved on it anywhere  :wink:gunna lend him some sandpaper ????? :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Courty
28th October 2005, 04:17 PM
can't see from the above pics, but does it have a seriel number engraved on it anywhere  :wink:

:smt102

I'll tell you when it arrives.

Jarro
28th October 2005, 04:22 PM
can't see from the above pics, but does it have a seriel number engraved on it anywhere  :wink:gunna lend him some sandpaper ????? :wink:

i never use the stuff mate, all legit TOUR gear here :smt023 :lol: