PDA

View Full Version : Tournament volunteer marshals

3Puttpete
16th November 2012, 11:58 PM
Has anyone done this? What did you do? Would you do it again?

razaar
17th November 2012, 04:39 PM
Yep,
spectator control on a particular golf hole and assistance to the players where required,
probably not.

dan
17th November 2012, 06:24 PM
15 yrs doing general marshalling, carry boards and scorer.
Had enough.

3Puttpete
17th November 2012, 08:15 PM
So a once is enough and a 15 years is enough. That clears that up. I might do 7 years

idgolfguy
17th November 2012, 09:20 PM
I carried a scoreboard for a couple if tournaments. Got to walk with four different groups. That was fun to watch up close. Lots of drink and fruit provided.

cobra
18th November 2012, 09:40 AM
I thought you got a game on the course the day after the tournament
I got to play NSW on the monday through winning a Sponsor spot and there were heaps of players out there who apparently were volunteers during the open,

has this changed ??
I would certainly give it thought if i could play say RM ,KH or similar tracks

BGH
19th November 2012, 09:12 AM
I appreciate that someone has to do it, but it looks boring as bat-shit to me.

3Puttpete
19th November 2012, 10:37 AM
I thought it might be a good cheap way to see some golf but the more I think about it, the better a 1 day ticket is looking.

dan
19th November 2012, 04:18 PM
I appreciate that someone has to do it, but it looks boring as bat-shit to me.
Mobile scoring is the best of the lot. You get to walk inside the ropes and see the play up close.
Marshalls who stand in the one spot all day is a really boring job. Other are inside doing admin stuff and never see any golf.

has this changed ??
Usually it's the mon or tues after. But I suspect it's changed eg. Masters volunteers have a day in Jan to play.

razaar
19th November 2012, 04:34 PM
When I volunteered, the hole I worked was a dual tee so I got to see the players tee off twice. We were rotated with tee ,fairway and green duties. It was a fun week, but very tiring and I had an absolute ball. It gave me an appreciation of the planning and logistics involved in planning a US Open. It ran like clockwork.