PDA

View Full Version : Computer Blue Screen

damoocow
16th November 2012, 08:04 PM
Never had this happen before but it is dead - last thing that happened this morning was that it was installing updates and shut itself down [I assume]. Is it a possible number of causes? - is there a fix?
Should I prepare a grave?

Eag's
16th November 2012, 08:19 PM
Damo, what is the error that appears on the screen when it blue screens?
It could be a failing Hard Drive, faulty memory, or a power supply issue etc...

BayBum
16th November 2012, 08:21 PM
Hundreds of possibles mate. On my phone at the moment so I'm limited in help but first thing is goggle BSOD (blue screen of death in pc terms). It may come down to booting the pc with different parts removed ie only 1 stick of ram or a different hard drive. Eliminate each piece of hardware one by one, also check all hardware is seated properly and all chords are snug in their ports/sockets, do that first.

markTHEblake
16th November 2012, 08:27 PM
Hardware doesn't fail when intaklinv update like that all it is is operating system is screwed. If your data is backed up or not important do a clean install of windows. Or you could pay a bloke $150 to come around and scratch his head for 5 mins and do the same thing anyhow.

Or if you wanna feel very clever do windows "in place upgrade" you will have to reinstall some applications but data will be saved

Webster
16th November 2012, 08:35 PM
http://antiwinsornetwork.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/computer_says_no.jpg

Outcast
16th November 2012, 08:57 PM
Buy a Mac :-)

damoocow
16th November 2012, 09:17 PM
Damo, what is the error that appears on the screen when it blue screens?
It could be a failing Hard Drive, faulty memory, or a power supply issue etc...

Check for Viruses
Remove newly installed hard drives
Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption then restart
Tech Info
STOP! ox0000007B [ox80599bbo, oxc000000e, 0x00000000, 0x00000000]
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to computer

damoocow
16th November 2012, 09:18 PM
Hundreds of possibles mate. On my phone at the moment so I'm limited in help but first thing is goggle BSOD (blue screen of death in pc terms). It may come down to booting the pc with different parts removed ie only 1 stick of ram or a different hard drive. Eliminate each piece of hardware one by one, also check all hardware is seated properly and all chords are snug in their ports/sockets, do that first.

I guess you're saying that it has to be opened up? Would not know what any of that looks like.

damoocow
16th November 2012, 09:19 PM
Hardware doesn't fail when intaklinv update like that all it is is operating system is screwed. If your data is backed up or not important do a clean install of windows. Or you could pay a bloke $150 to come around and scratch his head for 5 mins and do the same thing anyhow.

Or if you wanna feel very clever do windows "in place upgrade" you will have to reinstall some applications but data will be saved

Thanks Blakey but I have no idea what you just said....'in place upgrade'? How do I do anything with the screen blue?
I am so confused...

virge666
16th November 2012, 09:21 PM
reboot it and choose "Last Known good configuration"

Obviously one of the updates has caused the grief.

LeftyHoges
16th November 2012, 09:22 PM
Buy a Mac :-)

Yep, coz the spinning beach ball and grey death are much prettier... :lol:

damoocow
16th November 2012, 09:25 PM
reboot it and choose "Last Known good configuration"

Obviously one of the updates has caused the grief.

Did this and get a blue page with a similar message to the one I posted above - it says to check for viruses, check hard drive, run CHKDSK /F [have no idea how to do that!]

virge666
16th November 2012, 09:27 PM
Take a photo of the blue screen and post it up.

I should be able to help from that.

Ignore all the virus, chkdsk rubbish, it is just filler.

The first line of the BSOD is the key.

markTHEblake
16th November 2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks Blakey but I have no idea what you just said....'in place upgrade'? How do I do anything with the screen blue?I am so confused... You need to Google that phrase.Or I could do it for you. And whoever is the clown who said to buy a mac I would like to what you do when you get the equivalent grey transparent screen of death.http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978788

damoocow
16th November 2012, 09:48 PM
apologies for the flash - room is dark/light broken.....had enough....need a drink .....

BayBum
16th November 2012, 09:50 PM
Broken computer and no light ? Armageddon !!!!!!!

markTHEblake
16th November 2012, 09:51 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/324103Start reading Damo

damoocow
16th November 2012, 09:53 PM
Broken computer and no light ? Armageddon !!!!!!!

Hoping car will start in morning now.....

BenM
16th November 2012, 11:42 PM
7B is inaccessible boot device, which means it could be hard drive issues; or it could be a bad driver (I had all sorts of issues with 7b errors when I put the SSD in this laptop, turned out I needed to use the Intel storage drivers not the built in Win7 ones).

First thing I'd do is run checkdisk on the drive as the error message says - if it's an old PC there is likely some corruption on the drive, if the drive isn't totally stuffed with lots of bad sectors checkdisk may be able to fix it. Course you need to boot it somehow (I'd use a recovery CD) or else pull the drive out and plug into another PC.

mike
17th November 2012, 01:54 AM
7B is inaccessible boot device, which means it could be hard drive issues; or it could be a bad driver (I had all sorts of issues with 7b errors when I put the SSD in this laptop, turned out I needed to use the Intel storage drivers not the built in Win7 ones).

First thing I'd do is run checkdisk on the drive as the error message says - if it's an old PC there is likely some corruption on the drive, if the drive isn't totally stuffed with lots of bad sectors checkdisk may be able to fix it. Course you need to boot it somehow (I'd use a recovery CD) or else pull the drive out and plug into another PC.this

haysey
17th November 2012, 07:42 AM
Do what I do, Damo. Chuck it in the bin and go buy a new one.

Dotty
17th November 2012, 07:48 AM
Do what I do, Damo. Chuck it in the bin and go buy a new one.
Courty will take it, as it matches his Oakley golf shoes.

Daves
17th November 2012, 08:33 AM
Any new hardware added recently Damo? I had all sorts of issues earlier in the year, turned out to a be a powered USB hub I had added. Took it out and no more problems, once we sorted out all the start up corruptions that it had caused.

damoocow
17th November 2012, 02:36 PM
Any new hardware added recently Damo? I had all sorts of issues earlier in the year, turned out to a be a powered USB hub I had added. Took it out and no more problems, once we sorted out all the start up corruptions that it had caused.

Mrs uses an external hard drive with it - that's all I can think of - it still works though.
Taking the computer to someone I know this arvo or tomorrow to have a look.

virge666
17th November 2012, 03:57 PM
Mrs uses an external hard drive with it - that's all I can think of - it still works though.
Taking the computer to someone I know this arvo or tomorrow to have a look.

Quick option..

Pull out all the devices other than mouse, keyboard and monitor.

it might be trying to boot off the external HD.

Does it boot in safe mode ?

Eag's
17th November 2012, 04:28 PM
I was talking to Damo at golf today, he said he has tried to boot without the external connected.
Still gets the Blue screen.

virge666
17th November 2012, 04:32 PM
Allrighty - then we have either HD failure or more than likely - corrupted HD.

See if it boots in Safe mode - if not, then put a new HD in and use the old HD as a 2ndary drive so you dont lose any data.

damoocow
18th November 2012, 09:11 PM
Computer fixed.
Dropped it over to a mate of mine last night to take a look at - lots of mumbo jumbo computer talk but I do recall hearing the words - hard disc/drive, reboot, back up your stuff, buy a new HD.
Cost - lunch at the pub.
Everything on computer intact.
Thanks again to all for your help and advice.

Jarro
18th November 2012, 09:25 PM
Computer fixed.
Dropped it over to a mate of mine last night to take a look at - lots of mumbo jumbo computer talk but I do recall hearing the words - hard disc/drive, reboot, back up your stuff, buy a new HD.
Cost - lunch at the pub.
Everything on computer intact.
Thanks again to all for your help and advice.

How is Joebar anyway ?

matty
18th November 2012, 09:49 PM
Frequently visiting certain sites causes such issues.

damoocow
19th November 2012, 07:30 AM
How is Joebar anyway ?

He's good - we need to get around to a game one Sunday though.

damoocow
19th November 2012, 07:31 AM

I was worried for a bit then I realised I am an 'always' visitor not a 'frequent' one.

Daves
19th November 2012, 07:35 AM

I was worried for a bit then I realised I am an 'always' visitor not a 'frequent' one.

Ozgolf is the worst one, completely corrupts the mind.