PDA

View Full Version : GPS's - whats the current love for

Hux
11th November 2012, 10:27 AM
Hey guys thinking its time for a GPS replacement.
The old Neo is a PITA to reload courses on as the software hates current Windows.

I am not that fond of a watch style as I don't wear a watch when I play. Something on a cart mount is about what I want.
Also pretty much p155ed with Garmin watches after the drama my wife has had with her GPS running watch (4 replacements and now out of warranty).

Garmin G6, Golf Buddy?

BTW I like the idea of something I don't have to load or pay for courses.

kev
11th November 2012, 10:57 AM
iPhone.

Thank you, thank you very much, I'm here all week. Try the veal.

Sydney Hacker
11th November 2012, 10:58 AM
Hux,

I picked up a Garmin Approach G3 recently and it has been very good. One tine download of maps, select distances to certain points etc.

The only downside is the need for aa batteries, but a decent set of rechargeables gets around that.

timah!
11th November 2012, 11:01 AM
Hux, the bushnell yardage pro Xp that a few of us are pretty good and can be had pretty cheap.

Croydo
11th November 2012, 11:09 AM
Golfbuddy's are really good, a mates got one, and I prefer it to my Sureshot.

davepuppies
11th November 2012, 12:35 PM
I have had 2 golf buddy's now, and rate them very highly......

live4golf
11th November 2012, 12:43 PM
I have had 2 golf buddy's now, and rate them very highly......

Don't be so hard on yourself mate, you have more golf buddy's than that :)

Hux,

If you are ok with a watch then the ones on the market now are good. Very light and so much easier to use, just turn on and it is always there. I have the Garmin S1 but I'd say they all do much the same job.

aussieashley
11th November 2012, 02:06 PM
I haven't used the GolfBuddy Platinum, but Amazon have it on sale for USD$253 at the moment (I think it's the new white one).

I added it to cart, but it did say it doesn't ship to my address. You might have to use one of the US shipping forwarders unless you know someone with contacts.

http://www.amazon.com/Golf-Buddy-GolfBuddy-Platinum-Rangefinder/dp/B0077RGAPI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1352603361&sr=8-2&keywords=golf+buddy+platinum

Daves
11th November 2012, 02:34 PM
Anyone got a Callaway uPro MX+? They look the goods, but Australian course data looks limited?

muldude
11th November 2012, 02:41 PM
Bushnell hybrid, it's the goods. Get about 5 rounds off a charge. Free courses and all :-)

RobNewy
11th November 2012, 02:52 PM
Anyone got a Callaway uPro MX+? They look the goods, but Australian course data looks limited?

Daves i ordered one a few nights ago. It looks pretty good, and it has the courses i need

oz
11th November 2012, 04:14 PM
My old sureshot 8850 has been great. When it dies, I am prob going to the golf buddy platinum. From what I have seen, it is a good mix of easy & useful.

mrbluu
11th November 2012, 04:23 PM
I got both a Garmin g3 GPS and a bushnell v2 laser with pinseeker and I would say go the laser. It's piss easy to use, a lot more accurate and you don't have to up load courses.

Monsta
11th November 2012, 04:53 PM
I use the sureshot SS8850, it's pretty good, get two rounds out of a charge.
Has anyone bought the SS9000??? I am interested to see what they are like, might be my next upgrade.

mrbluu
11th November 2012, 05:07 PM
I forgot to add, got with a gps that automatically downloads courses so you don't have to pay a subscription.

nadg63
11th November 2012, 05:55 PM
Hux, the bushnell yardage pro Xp that a few of us are pretty good and can be had pretty cheap.

+1

Hux
11th November 2012, 07:01 PM
I got both a Garmin g3 GPS and a bushnell v2 laser with pinseeker and I would say go the laser. It's piss easy to use, a lot more accurate and you don't have to up load courses.

Got a Leupold GX3 Laser. Want to supplement the arrangements. GPS is quicker to just look at quickly for distances where you don't have that much control.

If you are ok with a watch then the ones on the market now are good. Very light and so much easier to use, just turn on and it is always there. I have the Garmin S1 but I'd say they all do much the same job.

I don't wear a watch when I play and wifes Garmin running watch has been a dog. I like their normal GPS's and the cycling computer but I will stay away from their watches.

My old sureshot 8850 has been great. When it dies, I am prob going to the golf buddy platinum. From what I have seen, it is a good mix of easy & useful.

Few saying Golfbuddy....I will do some research and see what I find.

Goldy
11th November 2012, 07:13 PM
I've got a Sureshot GW1 watch - courses pre-loaded, automatically picks the hole you''re on - and because it's on your wrist, is harder to lose than most. The number of times of seen GPS units fall off buggies....so I'd go with the watch.

rhino62
11th November 2012, 08:33 PM
Bought a Garmin G6 a couple of weeks ago - easy as turn it on & select course to use.
Something like 27500 worldwide courses already downloaded - no fees.
MAC compatible - if you need it.

Got it online as Johnny Appleseed $336

BayBum
11th November 2012, 10:48 PM
E.S.N Expresso Wr62 watch here.Probably my best golf purchase to date :) RBZ 3W close second 8)

No fees,all courses pre-loaded with room for an additional 50 manual download/installs.Battery life gives me almost 3 full rounds & whilst using as an everyday watch also.

http://www.on-pin.com/on-pin-products/golf-watch/wr62-designer-golf-watch

Daves
12th November 2012, 08:58 AM
Daves i ordered one a few nights ago. It looks pretty good, and it has the courses i need

I will be interested to hear your thoughts in due course Rob. On my sampling of the Uxplore website, a number of courses in this area were only available as basic mode data, not Pro Mode fly over images. Some of the advertising blurb I have seen says you can get up to 30 Pro Mode downloads, others I have seen say downloads are unlimited??. I also have a question mark over the screen readability in bright sunlight, not an issue with data only GPS, but possibly with image based screens?.

Daves
12th November 2012, 12:01 PM

+1

The Yardage Pro XG is very hard to come by now. Unfortunately, Global Direct have sold out of them, and I got nagged into selling my couple of spares to mates. Wishing I had kept one spare now, though my original one is still going strong and hasn't yet given me any grief at all, touch wood.

Daves
12th November 2012, 12:07 PM
Hey guys thinking its time for a GPS replacement.
The old Neo is a PITA to reload courses on as the software hates current Windows.

I am not that fond of a watch style as I don't wear a watch when I play. Something on a cart mount is about what I want.
Also pretty much p155ed with Garmin watches after the drama my wife has had with her GPS running watch (4 replacements and now out of warranty).

Garmin G6, Golf Buddy?

BTW I like the idea of something I don't have to load or pay for courses.

Just for info, the Bushnell Sync program compatibility problem (with Windows 7) should be a relatively easy fix. Let me know if you want the solution. Iam running 2 Bushnell Sync Programs on Windows 7 without problems.

Its seems it is impossible to completely get away from the need to sync/download with any of the GPS. Course updates and optional levels of data and imaging mean a preloaded GPS is not the total solution. Though the extra memory means you don't have to juggle course files like you do on the original Neo for example, that can only handle 10 files at a time.

RobNewy
12th November 2012, 12:54 PM
Daves, from what i could gather, the Pro mode capability is preloaded on the MX+ model.
The other earlier models, the capabilty has to be downloaded.

I think the cost is minimal to download the pro mode courses once all that is down.
It still costs about 20 bucks for 30 or so courses

TourFit
12th November 2012, 03:41 PM
I've been using the Garmin G6 for a few weeks now. It's been great so far. All courses included, just turn on and select course. Easy. I like the ability to drag and drop the cursor at any point on the hole to get distances to and from for tee shots. Also like the zoom feature for doing this.

A good buy.

Veefore
12th November 2012, 11:20 PM
I have one of the original Callaway UPRO's. When I bought it I also got enough credits for 180 Pro-Mode downloads. When they changed their model it was converted to unlimited downloads.

My biggest problem until a couple of weeks ago was getting them to map any courses.
I literally had to take a screenshot of their website which said that they would map your home course within 7 days if you bought one. That still took a month. And the overhead view is just a shot from a Google Earth competitor that was taken late in the afternoon so large portions of the course are barely visible due to the shade from the tall trees around the course.

If the courses you want aren't in Pro-Mode now then you could be waiting a very long time for them to get done.

Their support for Australia is VERY limited. I've sent in queries relating to problems I've had and haven't received any response at all. When my unit just stopped working about 3 weeks ago I sent them a support request and it still hasn't been answered.

Hopefully the MX is better at interfacing with their website too as mine usually takes two or three attempts to get it to recognise. Often it seems to lose connection halfway through a sync as well.

Other than all that, It really was a very good unit. Much more accurate than most of the others I compared it too. It was very surprising just how much variation I found with the different units. With the UPRO I found it to be within 2m of a laser (which has a +-0.5m tolerance) every time I compared it. Mostly it was within 1m though.

RobNewy
13th November 2012, 05:59 AM
Veefore supposadly they have fixed all the interface issues.

The support problem doesnt sound ideal!
Hope i wont be needing them for anything

damoocow
16th November 2012, 07:50 AM
[QUOTE=Hux;882311]Hey guys thinking its time for a GPS replacement.

QUOTE]

Is anyone else having this problem also? - My Neo Sync App won't open - consequently I can't transfer any downloaded courses to my Neo.
I remember hearing that Ozgolf has a place where courses are stored - would that help or do I still need the App to work?

Daves
16th November 2012, 08:05 AM
Is anyone else having this problem also? - My Neo Sync App won't open - consequently I can't transfer any downloaded courses to my Neo.
I remember hearing that Ozgolf has a place where courses are stored - would that help or do I still need the App to work?
Hi Damo,

you do need the App'n to be working. I am assuming you are running Windows 7. Try opening the App as Adminstrator (right click on the desktop Icon and select Run as Administrator). Post here on how you go.

If you need any Neo files send me a PM with your email address and what files you are after. The Depository hasn't been working for a while now.

timah!
16th November 2012, 09:23 AM
Problem with the repository? Yeah.
I was hoping to get some courses for Vic off it.

Daves
16th November 2012, 09:28 AM
Problem with the repository? Yeah.
I was hoping to get some courses for Vic off it.

XG Vic course files I don't have, I do have some NEO Vic course files.

timah!
16th November 2012, 09:33 AM
XG Vic course files I don't have, I do have some NEO Vic course files.

All good, might look at a subscription in the new year.

damoocow
16th November 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi Damo,

you do need the App'n to be working. I am assuming you are running Windows 7. Try opening the App as Adminstrator (right click on the desktop Icon and select Run as Administrator). Post here on how you go.

If you need any Neo files send me a PM with your email address and what files you are after. The Depository hasn't been working for a while now.

Thanks Dave - will try it when the main computer is running again - have a blue screen atm......

bergsey
18th November 2012, 01:29 AM
My Bushnell XG had a little accident today and smashed the screen.

I never really used much beyond front/middle/back so I guess will have a look at the Neo+

Daves
18th November 2012, 10:24 AM
I have ordered a Callaway UPro MX+ to add to the collection. I had previously ordered a Yardage Pro XGC+, but it never arrived and I got refunded.

Voice GPS are becoming popular and now the price is starting to come down, they look to be another option to consider for some.

RobNewy
19th November 2012, 09:45 AM
Daves, hom much did you get it for?

Daves
19th November 2012, 09:50 AM
Daves, hom much did you get it for?

$165 delivered.

razaar
19th November 2012, 11:55 AM
I use the sureshot SS8850, it's pretty good, get two rounds out of a charge.
Has anyone bought the SS9000??? I am interested to see what they are like, might be my next upgrade.seriously considering buying the 9000 for the little lady for X-mas.

Monsta
19th November 2012, 11:59 AM
seriously considering buying the 9000 for the little lady for X-mas.

Let me know Razaar if you do, I would be interested to see what they are like.

RobNewy
19th November 2012, 05:20 PM
$165 delivered.

Excellent. I paid the same
I finally found a bargain!