PDA

View Full Version : What is the correct way to score "scratch" in a par event?

Rodent
8th November 2012, 08:07 PM
I won scratch today :grin:
They put me down for -3 which is simply my score of +5 minus my handicap of 8.......but I would have finished all square if I played off scratch as I shot even par (I had 3 birdies on holes I got a shot on).
So which is the correct way to do a scratch score in a par event?

markTHEblake
8th November 2012, 08:44 PM
In the first column you write down the gross score you have on the hole. At the end of the round you add it up.

Irrelevant for handicap purpose though

Rodent
8th November 2012, 09:03 PM
So the winning scratch score next to my name should have been 0, not -3 based on my gross score. Tools:mad:

Outcast
11th November 2012, 10:47 PM
So the winning scratch score next to my name should have been 0, not -3 based on my gross score. Tools:mad: Not necessarily; par events are scored on a hole by hole basis not on your overall score. Birdie on a hole you get a shot on still only gives you a +. Bogey on a hole you don't get a shot on gives you a minus.Without seeing your hole by hole score its hard to say but, based on what you posted I'd say -3 was probably correct.

Rodent
22nd November 2012, 11:50 AM
I had 4 birdies, 10 pars and 4 bogeys. I reckon my scratch score should have been 0 or all square. I'd say -3 is incorrect.

Outcast
22nd November 2012, 11:29 PM
I had 4 birdies, 10 pars and 4 bogeys. I reckon my scratch score should have been 0 or all square. I'd say -3 is incorrect. Agreed, based on those scores & assuming you don't get shots on those bogeys your score should have been square at least; unless your a + marker ;-)