PDA

View Full Version : Week commencing 5th November

Jarro
7th November 2012, 01:42 PM
83/73 at Nudgee today.

4 double-bogeys didn't help :roll:

Greens are coming back slowly, but are still pretty bumpy after recent reno's.

I missed a lot of putts as a consequence.

mike
7th November 2012, 02:28 PM
83 with 4 doubles? Wow, nice sandbagging.

mike
7th November 2012, 02:34 PM
Please tell me the doubles didn't happen on the last 4 holes.

mike
7th November 2012, 02:34 PM
I would be disappoint.

Jarro
7th November 2012, 02:35 PM
Please tell me the doubles didn't happen on the last 4 holes.

Nope

TourFit
7th November 2012, 03:22 PM
Currently playing Lake Karrinyup with Ptp...who just aced the 12th, our 3rd of the day.

simmsy
7th November 2012, 03:27 PM
Have u stopped humping his leg yet fit?

Johnny Canuck
7th November 2012, 03:28 PM
Have u stopped humping his leg yet fit?

Does he ever?He is just humping faster.

Dcanto
7th November 2012, 03:30 PM
Congrats on the ace Ptp.

sms316
7th November 2012, 03:38 PM
Currently playing Lake Karrinyup with Ptp...who just aced the 12th, our 3rd of the day. In a comp or social?

simmsy
7th November 2012, 03:41 PM
Well that's the $64000 question right there folks.

Johnny Canuck
7th November 2012, 04:39 PM
Believe it is a comp.

popper81
7th November 2012, 04:45 PM
Nice work PTP...

idgolfguy
7th November 2012, 05:05 PM
Currently playing Lake Karrinyup with Ptp...who just aced the 12th, our 3rd of the day.

3rd ace of the day?

Jarro
7th November 2012, 05:12 PM
3rd ace of the day?

3rd leg hump

Shadesy
7th November 2012, 05:14 PM
Is Pete Going to shout the Bar Beers and Floorburgers?

sms316
7th November 2012, 05:58 PM
Have u stopped humping his leg yet fit? This shampood a buffalo yet?

Yossarian
7th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the text message about the ace fit, I'm not sure I could have waited till I got home from work to read about it.

BenM
7th November 2012, 09:59 PM
Congrats on the ace, that's awesome! Hope you got a free drink or two out of it PTP :)

Daves
7th November 2012, 10:24 PM
82/69 in the Monthly Mug today, just missed out on the major placings, finished 3rd in B grade I think. Played well on the front but struggled to score and turned with a 43, even with hcp. Managed to tighten it up on the back and came home with a solid 39, still without much luck though. In the end my drive on 7 cost me the win, hit it too well and managed to make the water, ended up with a double when I failed to make the up and down from the penalty drop.

8/14 FIR
2/18 GIR
30 putts
9 pars
8 bogeys
1 dbl

TourFit
8th November 2012, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the text message about the ace fit, I'm not sure I could have waited till I got home from work to read about it.

I thought you were still banned...guess not!

I have removed you from my txt list.

Fixed.

Happy?

Yossarian
8th November 2012, 12:39 AM
Did you only send it to banned members?

TourFit
8th November 2012, 12:40 AM
Group txt...but you're off the hook now.

Yossarian
8th November 2012, 12:47 AM
Sweet.

Rodent
8th November 2012, 12:42 PM
Just shot a pb with even par at my home track in the comp today. I'm off 8 and had 4 birdies, 10 pars and 4 bogeys. It sucks that it was a par event and 3 of my birdies were on holes where I get a stroke! With the course rating a couple of shots below par, I've played to 5 (I'd have played to 2 if it were stableford). I've played to 3 a couple of times elsewhere but never better. I managed to play better today but because "par" is such a crap event, it won't look that way on my golf link record. I'm just hoping I win scratch as I've never achieved that before.

Monsta
8th November 2012, 01:34 PM
Just shot a pb with even par at my home track in the comp today. I'm off 8 and had 4 birdies, 14 pars and 4 bogeys. It sucks that it was a par event and 3 of my birdies were on holes where I get a stroke! With the course rating a couple of shots below par, I've played to 5 (I'd have played to 2 if it were stableford). I've played to 3 a couple of times elsewhere but never better. I managed to play better today but because "par" is such a crap event, it won't look that way on my golf link record. I'm just hoping I win scratch as I've never achieved that before.

Noice round Rodent

TourFit
8th November 2012, 01:47 PM
In a comp or social?

Well that's the $64000 question right there folks.

Believe it is a comp.

I had sort of wondered if the shenanigans were going to happen again, but it was an official club comp with the automated bingo cards, not a 'Pro shop' run comp with std cards etc.

Score is in GolfLink already, as you scan the cards yourself and the pro shop doesn't have anything to do with it.

I finished 1 down (par) for the day and knocked another 0.2 off the 'cap to be off 7.9 now. Considering the way my short game went (simmsy called it!), I'm amazed that I even got close to my 'cap. My chipping makes me a sad panda at the moment :(

sms316
8th November 2012, 01:56 PM
It isn't shenanigans when it is a legitimate question. Well done Pete. At your age it must be a good feeling just to reach the par 3s.

TourFit
8th November 2012, 02:04 PM
I know it was a legitimate question.

I meant the LKCC Proshop shenanigans that I've had the last couple of times I've played a "comp". (Which then led to the other shenanigans as a result)

Rodent
8th November 2012, 08:05 PM
I won scratch today :D
They put me down for -3 which is simply my score of +5 minus my handicap of 8.......but I would have finished all square if I played off scratch (because I had 3 birdies on holes I got a shot on).
So which is the correct way to do a scratch score in a par event?

BenM
8th November 2012, 08:53 PM
Congrats on the win (and the PB round) :)

petethepilot
8th November 2012, 08:59 PM
It isn't shenanigans when it is a legitimate question. Well done Pete. At your age it must be a good feeling just to reach the par 3s.

Yep, good to reach Par 3's with a 9 iron! Its not a long hole, but it is a tricky one in the wind. Nice to see it go in!

Thanks for the congrats everyone.

Pete

catch22
8th November 2012, 09:20 PM
Nice one PTP, still waiting for my first hole in one!

Rodent - gratz on your PB and winning scratch

mrbluu
8th November 2012, 11:29 PM
Noice round Rodent

+1

mrbluu
8th November 2012, 11:29 PM
Yep, good to reach Par 3's with a 9 iron! Its not a long hole, but it is a tricky one in the wind. Nice to see it go in!

Thanks for the congrats everyone.

Pete

Well done mate!!!

Rodent
9th November 2012, 01:40 PM
Thanks guys. I'm 45yo and had my 1st hole in one in comp last year and now my 1st par round. I'm still improving and now back to a hcp of 7. 6.6 is my all time low and that is in my sights! I've been playing the game since I was 14 so there's hope for all of us middle aged blokes.

IanO
9th November 2012, 01:40 PM
Well done ptp!

ps. I am very jealous as i am still yet to ace one.

TourFit
9th November 2012, 02:35 PM
I've never had one either, and Petes' was the first one I've witnessed.

JADO75
9th November 2012, 06:42 PM
Congrats on the ace PTP! Did you know as soon as you hit it or did you get a good bounce?

matty
9th November 2012, 08:00 PM
Nice one Pete. First ace?

I've only ever seen one. Closest I've come is a lip out a moth or so ago.

Hatchman
10th November 2012, 08:30 AM
Congrats on the ace peterthepilot.

Well done on shooting par Rodent.

Rodent
10th November 2012, 11:02 AM
Well done on the ace PTP and I'm glad you saw it go in. I've only had 1 in comp and 1 in practice and I didn't see either of them go in :(

catch22
10th November 2012, 08:00 PM
35pts today, 20f 15b.

Took some advice from a few people and tried adjusting the ball position back in my stance for the driver. Worked for the first hole, then didnt hit FW again until the 16th.
Did seem to go a bit further though, but had big problems with either pulls or slices (and the occasional straight one when I aimed left or right)

Had a "par or nothing" kind of day. 11 pars, 0 bogeys, 4 doubles, 3 triples.
Putted pretty well, although was more down to missing greens and chipping close.

3FW,3GIR,28 putts, 0 x 3 putts.
Handicap down slightly to 15.3, last 5 rounds have been flags now!

BenM
10th November 2012, 10:13 PM
35pts today, 20f 15b.

Bahaha me too!

Was pissed off to throw away a good round like that, after a decent start - shot 41 round the front, with a quadruple bogey, hah. Back 9 really wasn't that bad but had two very soft wipes in the last 3 holes after being not far off the green in reg :(

Stats here. (http://golfshot.com/Rounds/Detail/314-14101234-14101560) Cap is sneaking down, last couple of rounds have been flags, 10.8 and slowly getting there. Might make single figures by the end of the year if I can just get rid of those bad holes.

mrbluu
10th November 2012, 10:28 PM
29 Points today in the wind at Cabramatta. Positives Started Each nine with 4/3's, birdied 17 (my second last hole), had beers and 17points on the back nine.

rowey
11th November 2012, 08:20 AM
Shot 76 yesterday, 42 points & still only R/Up.

23pts front, 19pts back......28 putts with the trusty Belly putter.

muldude
11th November 2012, 08:41 AM
31points yesterday......teed off at 6:45, got talked into a early start after many beers the night before, who the hell tees off that early? 6 over after 5 trying to wake up, finished 9 over, bloody chopper :-(

Deano

muldude
11th November 2012, 08:42 AM
Nice round rowey

Shortylook
11th November 2012, 02:26 PM
Had a really good nine holes, had 47 shots, I was happy as

G.K
11th November 2012, 05:01 PM
Shot 91 at Collier Park Island/Pines yesterday. 64% FW, 28% GIR and couldn't buy a putt having 39 in total, including a dreaded 4 jab dammit! 5 dbls cost me dearly but at least it ended nicely with par, par.

Ashes
12th November 2012, 12:42 AM
88/66 in my first round of PGN Club Champs at The Vines. Was good enough to win the round too :)

New personal best and first comp score in he 80's. My chipping was abysmal (just about had the yips) so still plenty of room for improvement.

simmsy
12th November 2012, 01:03 AM
Great work mate. Good to see u getting rid of a few sandbags.

Golfnut
12th November 2012, 02:10 AM
Awesome work Ashes.....you hit a great ball mate, keep at it.

Monsta
12th November 2012, 08:20 AM
Shot a PB yesterday at Gungahlin, 1st round of the 4B Stroke champs
41/40 still yet to break the magic 40 barrier for 9 holes.
Walking down 8th fairway was only one over then went double double to finish............

Ashes
12th November 2012, 08:55 AM
Cheers Simmsy and 'Nut. Credit goes to ID tho, he made a simple observation about the difference in my backswing between my good and bad shots, after which I peeled off 3 straight pars for a total of 5 in the last 12 holes (I might normally get a couple of pars if i'm lucky in a round of golf) and was hitting the ball more consistently throughout. We'll see how I do under pressure going into my last round of champs next Sunday with a couple of shots lead in my division...

G.K
12th November 2012, 09:27 AM
Nice work Ashes!

On paper, your game appears to be at a similar level to mine. I've now shot about 5 rounds in the 80's after hanging around in the 90's for what seemed like an eternity. It can be bloody frustrating when you have a score such as yours yesterday and you know you lost 4 or 5 strokes due to duffed chip shots. I hadn't cracked the 100 mark until Feb this year and I was over the moon when that happened. Now I'm dirty if I don't crack 90. :lol:

Johnny Canuck
12th November 2012, 10:37 AM
Nice shooting Marylin.

Remember, the key to chipping is to accelerate through the ball. Don't let your hands slow things.

TourFit
12th November 2012, 11:05 AM
Remember, the key to chipping is to accelerate through the ball. Don't let your hands slow things.

Aahhhh....thanks Canuck. I'll remember that (or try to).

I played 36 holes over the weekend for ML's Founders Cup. 30pts on Sat with a couple of key mistakes (read: my awful chipping at the moment!) leading to 3 wipes. Played OK for 14 holes or so. Putted average on our very average greens.

Played much better on Sunday. Was 2 up in Stableford through 12 holes and had a couple of 3 putts on consecutive holes for 1 pointers which cost me. I then wiped the 9th, which put me two down and only had a short Par 4 to play. I decided to go for the birdie to get the shot back and took a 5! Finished at 33pts. I chipped MUCH better. Made a few key up & downs which gave me a little confidence back. I also putted much better with the heavier putter I chose.

Still, I am generally happy with how I'm striking it and trying to adjust to less shots around the course. It is hard with my current short game though!

idgolfguy
12th November 2012, 11:50 AM
83/68 (fixed) on Sunday. 4 doubles in that unfortunately. Did miss a couple of birdies around the 10' mark.

Missed 4 fairways including 2 fairway bunkers. Driver is going well. The 100-140m shots are still a challenge. Long irons aren't the issue. Seems to be 9-GW. SW is now nearly 80m, GW is about 105m. PW and 9 are inconsistent between 135 and 110. 8 is better at just under 140m.

However, am happy with the way I am progressing. Bit disappointed that my HC won't be low enough to play WAGC Open.

Will have to get down to 8 so that I can't blow out to more than 12 any year.

Johnny Canuck
12th November 2012, 12:17 PM
83/63 on Sunday. 4 doubles in that unfortunately. Did miss a couple of birdies around the 10' mark.Missed 4 fairways including 2 fairway bunkers. Driver is going well. The 100-140m shots are still a challenge. Long irons aren't the issue. Seems to be 9-GW. SW is now nearly 80m, GW is about 105m. PW and 9 are inconsistent between 135 and 110. 8 is better at just under 140m.However, am happy with the way I am progressing. Bit disappointed that my HC won't be low enough to play WAGC Open. Will have to get down to 8 so that I can't blow out to more than 12 any year. when did you blow out to 20?

idgolfguy
12th November 2012, 12:23 PM
when did you blow out to 20?

Oops! Fixed it.
That would be interesting. Think of the cash!

TourFit
12th November 2012, 01:18 PM
He does...and often!

Nuffie
13th November 2012, 01:17 AM
An interesting point JC mentions about accelerating into the ball to chip.

Ive chipped the same way since 1988 so I don't know if I accelerate. But I always make backswing length = follow through length.

Some of those players in the Perth International had little backswings but huge follow throughs on their chips - come to think of it. Maybe that's where all the extra spin comes from???

idgolfguy
13th November 2012, 08:51 AM
Like putting, shorter backswing, longer backswing does force you to keep the club head moving.

There is less likely chance of decelerating because you think you took too much backswing.

Ashes
13th November 2012, 08:57 AM
ID, I forgot to ask you on Sunday what you thought of my course management. Too aggressive, too conservative, or about right for a hacker?

catch22
13th November 2012, 11:26 AM
Well done Ashes! I remember how stoked I was the first time I broke 90 - great achievement and awesome when you think of all the shots you could have got!

ID - Well done mate, no way you should be off 15 after seeing your swing! Keep it going and you will be down to 8 in no time!

idgolfguy
14th November 2012, 09:10 AM
ID, I forgot to ask you on Sunday what you thought of my course management. Too aggressive, too conservative, or about right for a hacker?
To tell you the truth I was not paying attention. First couple of holes, off the tee, I was wondering why 3w. Both of those did not go well. It took you a few holes to start getting the rhythm for that club.

You're certainly very capable with that club. I didn't see you or missed your tee shots with the 1w. Playing a shorter club of the tee for safety is great if judiciously used. However, it places a lot more pressure on the longer approach and short game.

You have the potential for a power game. As an example, I am nowhere near as long as you. My driver off 1, gets me 110m from the pin an index 2 hole.
On 2, you can use 3w but you have a narrow entry to the hole which is index 17. Most end up on the mound in the rough with a poor lie.
4 is a long hole, if you use 3w, expect to play a safe shot short so you can run it close to the pin to make par or bogey. 1w runs me down the slope to about 135m.

Just work on the perception of shorter backswing on the driver. I don't touch 6 - 1w on the range. However, I have been lucky to not be too far wrong with that club. I can show you some drills at the range, next time we play that will make your driver more consistent.

Your dad was a good example to follow. He was consistent of the tee. No long as he grips and sets up for a cut. It is the same every time. A couple he got caught by the trees on the edge of the fairway as his ball was coming back.

idgolfguy
14th November 2012, 09:17 AM
ID - Well done mate, no way you should be off 15 after seeing your swing! Keep it going and you will be down to 8 in no time!
Thanks Catch. We'll see... I always have too much going on in my head during the round. I can't maintain focus for that long.

Just before Champs, on the third round of Club medal, I hit 17 over on the front and came in with 1 under on the back with three birdies. Played to 75 as I was off 13.

It is what it is! I will be trying to get to 8 so I don't get out of A grade.

Hogan's Bogan
14th November 2012, 12:02 PM
Been put of this loop a long time. Family circumstances blah blah.

Got one of Tour Fit's (strong) 3 woods this year and it's served me very well. Also worked out some kinks in my swing and I'm finding a lot more consistency. Managed to better 40 points 3 times this year, and playing around my handicap most of the time. Still off 24, but for me, I blitzed Joondalup on the weekend. 40 points on the Dunes/Quarry combo, with 2 wipes in the card. Only good enough for 2nd place in our comp though. Joondy is bastard course. Many a straight drive found terrible lies in the middle of the fairway. If you hit 250+ which I can when I'm playing well, it's a course that demands you take 5 wood or less off a lot of tees.