PDA

View Full Version : Brisbane Suburbs Info Required

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 01:46 PM
Negotiations with the wife have stepped up a notch and I now have to start looking at suburbs in Brisbane for the prospective move and I would value the input of the Brisbanites.

We are looking for a suburb, probably on the north side of town as we will head north regularly. Would prefer around 30-40 minutes drive to the office (one in West End would be the hardest to get to). Decent public schools for the kids and decent facilites.

Any suggestions or do I need to provide more information?

sms316
6th November 2012, 01:58 PM
I would suggest a location that doesn't make you dependent on the Gateway for a morning commute. It is a real shitfight and once it goes, then Gympie Rd and Sandgate Rd follow soon after.

Better than what the southsiders seem to cop every day on the Pacific though.

Moe Norman
6th November 2012, 02:01 PM
looking for a new house, or an existing house?

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 02:04 PM
I would suggest a location that doesn't make you dependent on the Gateway for a morning commute. It is a real shitfight and once it goes, then Gympie Rd and Sandgate Rd follow soon after. Better than what the southsiders seem to cop every day on the Pacific though.I tend to be in the office around 6.00 in the morning so the morning commute won't be an issue. It will be in the evenings though.

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 02:05 PM
looking for a new house, or an existing house?Undecided at the moment. We will probably rent for the first 6-12 months while we decide we like the area, schools, golf clubs etc.

Moe Norman
6th November 2012, 02:51 PM
mate, 40 mins drive to West End in Brisbane is basically the Sunshine Coast!

You can lift your expectations a bit up here, aim for 20-30 mins

Jarro
6th November 2012, 03:05 PM
mate, 40 mins drive to West End in Brisbane is basically the Sunshine Coast!

You can lift your expectations a bit up here, aim for 20-30 mins

Not during weekdays.

It takes me about 45 minutes to get to the airport, and i live 42kms from it.

Peak traffic volumes start at about 5am these days.

sms316
6th November 2012, 03:10 PM
Not during weekdays.It takes me about 45 minutes to get to the airport, and i live 42kms from it.Peak traffic volumes start at about 5am these days. There is definitely an early peak run. If I leave Caloundra at 5am the Bruce is full of tradies heading south.

BrisVegas
6th November 2012, 03:15 PM
what's your rough budget for a house?

There are nice suburbs in the 5-10km radius on the northside. Anything from Indooroopilly & Chapel hill in the west around through The Gap, Mitchelton, Enoggera, Ashgrove, Newmarket, Windsor, Clayfield and Nundah etc.

Another nice area is Sandgate, but only if you can afford to be close to the waterfront. It's further out, but there isn't a lot of through traffic and it has a train line.

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 03:48 PM
Ideally I would prefer to keep the house down under $700k so I don't have to have much of a mortgage.

Ideally I would like a quiet suburb where the kids can have a bit of space though, so I am more then happy to live further out and have a drive to and from work.

Hux
6th November 2012, 04:07 PM
Check where we are. Cannon hill. 10-15 to west end in the morning at 6 heck it takes me 15 on the bike then.
Cannon hill Anglican college is very good. Best thing. 5 mins to gateway bridge. 10mins to nudgee GC 45 easy to any goldy courses 1.15 to caloundra maroochy
Very quiet suburb for so close. Bit of air traffic but all east subs are affected.

Lucasto23
6th November 2012, 04:09 PM
Mate look at clayfield, wavell heights area. Closure in to town, good access to icb and great local schools from what I hear.

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 04:12 PM
Probably a better way to phrase this might be, what suburbs should I avoid ?

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 04:17 PM
The second site I will have to spend a fair bit of time at is in Geebung. What is the Redcliffe area like?

graham_w
6th November 2012, 04:20 PM
Probably a better way to phrase this might be, what suburbs should I avoid ?

Post up where you're looking and you will get a yes or no.

I'm at Brighton on the northside. Next suburb along from Sandgate. Some nice houses can be had in your price range out this way. Worth a look.

AndyP
6th November 2012, 04:33 PM
Most people will plug their own area, since they probably looked into it before moving there themselves. $700 doesn't sound like a huge issue for most areas, but I don't follow the market.

Hux
6th November 2012, 06:54 PM
Ultimately you end up a north slider or southsider. I reckon eastern corridor is the best no gympie rd no freeway no gateway no centeneray fwy issues. Cooler bay breezes in summer. Sand gate area as per Graham's comment is also good but it's on the north side

Like most I have lived north south east and west side and worked all over the se corner. Being close to a major high speed highway like gateway means you can get most places simply and wuickly

3Puttpete
6th November 2012, 07:13 PM
Are you not a Bris native Hux? Living and working all over the shop seems a very un-Brisbane like thing to do.

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 08:05 PM
So no thoughts on the Redcliffe area?

Jarro
6th November 2012, 08:12 PM

What do you want to know ?

You seem to have already looked into it as a possible destination.

graham_w
6th November 2012, 08:59 PM

Well, for starters its not in Brisbane :)

A few suburbs in Redcliffe, anywhere in particular you are looking?

PeteyD
6th November 2012, 09:07 PM
I live in the Redlands, SE of the city. Great area. I worked in West End for a considerable while, starting at 7 or so in the morning. The commute was pretty good then, can't remember the amount of time. I then worked in the city, driving and catching a train from Murrarie. That sucked.

I grew up in The Gap, mum still lives at Ashgrove. Nice and close to the city, Not sure what the schools are like there now. The area is pretty good.

BrisVegas
6th November 2012, 09:14 PM
Schools around ashgrove are excellent. We chose the area largely due to the schools.

Sydney Hacker
6th November 2012, 09:22 PM
What do you want to know ?You seem to have already looked into it as a possible destination. Only from looking at realestate.com.au and the proximity to the second site i will spend my time at.Move is for the kids so looking for schools, facilities, general lack of dead shits etc.I like the thought of being close to the beach and we will also be going to Hervey Bay on a regular basis so that side of town will be useful without being the deciding factor.

Ferrins
6th November 2012, 09:22 PM
If I had to move in Brisbane I would buy at Canon Hill and join Pacific Golf Club. I loved Redcliffe as a kid but it has changed for the worse. Go Pinkinba very underrated and close to Royal Queensland but then you wouldn't get in if you said you live there.

sms316
6th November 2012, 09:26 PM
I can't speak for the schools etc, but for the 12 months that we lived there, The Grange in Brendale was a nice gated community. About 300m from Strathpine train station and Westfield not far beyond that.

It was nice enough. Reasonably cheap rent ($330 for a 3 bedroom townhouse). Pools and tennis courts.

Quite a few kiwis though.

Daves
6th November 2012, 09:35 PM
Only from looking at realestate.com.au and the proximity to the second site i will spend my time at.Move is for the kids so looking for schools, facilities, general lack of dead shits etc.I like the thought of being close to the beach and we will also be going to Hervey Bay on a regular basis so that side of town will be useful without being the deciding factor.

Don't rush the decision. Fly up for weekend and have a look around. Especially don't go where Brisbanites tell you, because they know shite about where to actually live up here. We ended up in the Redlands, best kept secret up here. We did the weekend trip, then rented for 6 months to make sure we had picked the right area.

Ferrins
6th November 2012, 09:42 PM
There is something wrong with building on such good agricultural land and also getting excited about living next to ordinary water ways.

Daves
6th November 2012, 09:45 PM
There is something wrong with building on such good agricultural land and also getting excited about living next to ordinary water ways.

Typical Brisbnite Thinking, near waterways is good for a number of reasons, not least being it is f'n way cooler than anything west of here!

Ferrins
6th November 2012, 09:58 PM
RRR

Hux
6th November 2012, 10:14 PM
Are you not a Bris native Hux? Living and working all over the shop seems a very un-Brisbane like thing to do.

Nope we transferred all over the state as a kid and I came to Brissy when I started my current job in 1983. I have been lucky enough not to transfer all over the state but been in SEQ but worked all over - Moggill, Albany Creek, Cleveland, Gold Coast and Logan before coming back into the City.
Love to be back out the bay or down at Logan. Best 2 places to work ever.

Hux
6th November 2012, 10:16 PM
Don't rush the decision. Fly up for weekend and have a look around. Especially don't go where Brisbanites tell you, because they know shite about where to actually live up here. We ended up in the Redlands, best kept secret up here. We did the weekend trip, then rented for 6 months to make sure we had picked the right area.

Jeez Dave you lived in Sydney FFS all of Brisbane is an improvement mate.

Daves
6th November 2012, 10:19 PM
Jeez Dave you lived in Sydney FFS all of Brisbane is an improvement mate.

True, but some of the traditionally favoured suburbs up here are pretty shite imo. Hot holes with shite road/transport systems, and lots of old style Qlder homes which are big black holes to pour more of your money into!

Hux
6th November 2012, 10:23 PM
True, but some of the traditionally favoured suburbs up here are pretty shite imo. Hot holes with shite road/transport systems, and lots of old style Qlder homes which are big black holes to pour more of your money into!

Like all of the western suburbs.....hot as sin in summer, no nice breezes, get the worst of the storms. I am hearing you.

Honestly the eastern corridor is the only place.............lowest crime, nicest Ozgolfers. Says it all really.

LarryLong
6th November 2012, 10:31 PM
I think he's trying to figure out a nice way to ask where all the non-Queenslanders are living. :mrgreen:

Lucasto23
6th November 2012, 10:33 PM
The decent western suburbs are an over rate Shite hole and I'm moving back there :) for geebung, westend and north coast I would look at hendra, nundah, clayfield ect. Close enough to major arterial and suburban centers. Train line and good schools all over the place.

razaar
7th November 2012, 07:44 AM
Ferny Grove is one suburb to look at for what you want. It is on the north side, has rail services, is 30 minutes drive to West End, has a top high school and primary school. It is adjacent to Bunya National Forrest and is nice area. It is also within your price range. It is also surrounded by major shopping centres. The closest golf course is Keperra G C, five minutes away.

Moe Norman
7th November 2012, 10:01 AM
I live in the inner west, but have to agree with some of these comments about the Redlands.

It really is the best kept secret in Brisbane. Living around Wakerley, Thornlands even out at Cleveland and beyond seems like a bloody nice lifestyle.

Marto65
7th November 2012, 10:07 AM
Nothing wrong with Brighton/Sandgate area at all ....

We are at Boondall ... 5 minute drive to Sandgate, 3 minutes to Geebung, 10 minutes to get in the Tunnel to take you to the city ...

Every area has their good and bad spots ....

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2013, 09:24 AM
All right, this moving is getting very close to happening. Now for the important question... which golf club?

We are probably either be going to move to the Sandgate/Brighton or Redcliffe area (depending on the wife). What golf club should I be looking at? I have played Redcliffe before and liked it, haven't played Nudgee is 20+ years so can't remember it at all. Where else should I be looking at?

PeteyD
2nd May 2013, 09:27 AM
Redcliffe. By a mile if you move into that area.

Then maybe Northlakes.

Maybe Nudgee if you move into Sandgate area. Has advantage of the 2 courses and nice greens. I find the North course gets a bit repetitive if I play it too much.

Marto65
2nd May 2013, 09:29 AM
Definately join Redcliffe if you're going to live around Brighton/Sandgate ..

ddasey
2nd May 2013, 09:30 AM
Play all the options and see which one tickles your fancy.

There are also a few of us who are members at Wantima.

Depending on my roster, happy to host you for a game once you arrive.

shazza_rs
2nd May 2013, 09:35 AM
Depends on what you want out of your golf club? Do you intend playing comps? Mid week or weekend?

Jarro
2nd May 2013, 09:38 AM
Redcliffe would be the nicest course in the area.

Nudgee is easier to get a game on though.

sms316
2nd May 2013, 09:39 AM
I was a member at Redcliffe and never had a drama getting a Saturday game, despite it only having a 1 tee start. Subs are pretty cheap too. Good track. Mosquitos are feral on the last 3 holes.

Didn't mind North Lakes but if you join there you would probably want to use a cart more often than not.

Nudgee is boring as bat shit. Wantima is ok, but I'm not sure if want to play it every week. Can't hold water.

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2013, 09:39 AM
To be honest, the first 6 months or so I doubt I will get to play much golf at all given I will be moving the wife and kids up there.

When I do play it will mainly be in comps and most probably earlier Sat or Sun mornings. The odd weekday hit, but not often at all. Decent down to earth members that enjoy a laugh also would be high on the list.

ddasey
2nd May 2013, 09:42 AM
I was a member at Redcliffe and never had a drama getting a Saturday game, despite it only having a 1 tee start. Subs are pretty cheap too. Good track. Mosquitos are feral on the last 3 holes.

Didn't mind North Lakes but if you join there you would probably want to use a cart more often than not.

Nudgee is boring as bat shit. Wantima is ok, but I'm not sure if want to play it every week. Can't hold water.

Pelican snob !!!!!

:mrgreen:

sms316
2nd May 2013, 09:45 AM
Pelican snob !!!!!:mrgreen: Bugger off LEO snob. I like Wanny, but I would probably get a little bored with it I I played it every week. I was going to say that the members are a good bunch of blokes but you can get stuffed now. Wanny would have the best club pro in the area by daylight too.

Moe Norman
2nd May 2013, 09:47 AM
Wash your mouth out Petey D, did you really just suggest North Lakes as a membership option?!

Redcliffe is a no brainer for that area, and Nudgee is a much better option than the overpriced shithole known as North Lakes

ddasey
2nd May 2013, 09:48 AM
Bugger off LEO snob. I like Wanny, but I would probably get a little bored with it I I played it every week. I was going to say that the members are a good bunch of blokes but you can get stuffed now. Wanny would have the best club pro in the area by daylight too.

Don't forget they are Div 1 Pennant champs.

Where'd Pelican finish :mrgreen:

sms316
2nd May 2013, 09:52 AM
Don't forget they are Div 1 Pennant champs.Where'd Pelican finish :mrgreen: Arsehole.

AndyP
2nd May 2013, 09:53 AM
Nudgee has Sunday morning comps, but I think Redcliffe has it in the middle of the day after social groups.

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2013, 09:57 AM
Nudgee has Sunday morning comps, but I think Redcliffe has it in the middle of the day after social groups. That's probably an important bit. The kids are 6 & 3 so Saturday morning golf will become harder and harder over the next couple of years with sport etc. I would be keen to avoid mid-morning tee times as it takes up pretty much the whole day then, and SWMBO would not handle that well...

AndyP
2nd May 2013, 10:05 AM
I hear you on that. I'm just squeezing in Sat arvo golf at the moment, but only because it is club champs. This makes Sunday a good option.

Ferrins
2nd May 2013, 10:12 AM
Stopped playing for 10 years when the kids were born. Join Redcliffe there is a comp every dat.

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2013, 10:22 AM
My golf days are numbered, I know that and am more than happy to stop playing once the kids sport takes over. But I will eek out as much golf as I can until that happens.

ddasey
2nd May 2013, 10:26 AM
My golf days are numbered, I know that and am more than happy to stop playing once the kids sport takes over. But I will eek out as much golf as I can until that happens.

Kids sports make it hard, but between running kids around and shift work I try like hell to get out on course whenever I can.

sms316
2nd May 2013, 10:47 AM
Kids sports make it hard, but between running kids around and shift work I try like hell to get out on course whenever I can.
From what I saw of that pre-shot waggle routine of yours, it looks like you try as hard as possible to stay out there.
:smt015

:smt098

Ferrins
2nd May 2013, 10:49 AM
From what I saw of that pre-shot waggle routine of yours, it looks like you try as hard as possible to stay out there.:smt015:smt098+1 the Djokovic of OZgolf.;)

ddasey
2nd May 2013, 10:55 AM
From what I saw of that pre-shot waggle routine of yours, it looks like you try as hard as possible to stay out there.
:smt015

+1 the Djokovic of OZgolf.;)

:mrgreen:

PeteyD
2nd May 2013, 10:57 AM
Need DD and Poops playing together ...

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2013, 10:59 AM
Does Nudgee still have a joining fee? Surely with so many members here they can get that waived for me... :)

peter_rs
2nd May 2013, 11:26 AM
Sorry you will have little luck getting it waved.

It does offer split and deferred payment now... I think .they picked up 100 members last year with the two for one offer on noms

On a side note the board was considering two options
-two sat comps to cater for members (trailing the next two weekends)
-capping 7 day members

popper81
2nd May 2013, 01:09 PM
Need DD and Poops playing together ...

Blah, blah, blah.. I figure I can take take a little longer over the ball when I am having 20 shots less than most of you.

I have never considered myself slow? Am I? Thread maybe.... ;)

PeteyD
2nd May 2013, 01:16 PM
Not slow. More a painful waggle group.

Jarro
2nd May 2013, 01:57 PM
To be honest, the first 6 months or so I doubt I will get to play much golf at all given I will be moving the wife and kids up there.

When I do play it will mainly be in comps and most probably earlier Sat or Sun mornings. The odd weekday hit, but not often at all. Decent down to earth members that enjoy a laugh also would be high on the list.

When you come up we'll take you for a hit in the Sunday comp .... get a feel for the place.

Lagerlover
2nd May 2013, 02:42 PM
When you come up we'll take you for a hit in the Sunday comp .... get a feel for the place. I'll be up for this...

Sydney Hacker
2nd May 2013, 03:30 PM
Nudgee is actually starting to look pretty good. They are reciprocal with Hervey Bay & Maryborough and I will be up there at least once a month to visit the Wife's grandfather.

PeteyD
2nd May 2013, 04:25 PM
Seems like a no brainer then. Plus you get to join the Nudgee Mafia

Jarro
2nd May 2013, 05:28 PM
Yeah, come join the mafia :thumbup:

markTHEblake
2nd May 2013, 05:30 PM
Nudgee is actually starting to look pretty good.
What course isnt in SEQ - we have had 300 gigalitres of rain in the last three months and now two weeks of sunshine. By the time i finish mowing my lawn its grown again.

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 09:15 AM
Alright the wife has thrown a major spanner in the works with our move and has decided she might prefer to live more towards the Gold Coast, why I have no idea, but happy wife happy life etc. etc.

No major worries as I am happy to travel an hour or so to work to have a better lifestyle (read quiet) for the kids. Does anyone have any info/knowledge on suburbs around Ormeau or would I be better off pushing for the Cleveland type area? There seems to be a few sub-divisions etc. within the Ormeau area and you can get a bit more for your money etc.

And then we get to the important question... Golf Clubs in the area???

Daves
28th May 2013, 09:23 AM
We are in Cleveland (Redlands), lot of new subdivisions here around Redland Bay, Mount Cotton, Thornlands etc, as well as lots of established areas. Imo the Redlands is still a big Village/Town. as distinct from a Metro area, and that is one of its major attractions. The Bay is one of Brisbane's best kept secrets also. Most see lots of mud flats, but the Bay is full of marvelous coral reefs, little bays and Islands etc if you know where to go. Plus North Straddie ferries leave from here. Travel time is a solid hour in peak hour, 40 mins outside peak. There are trains as well (line terminates at Cleveland), again another hour trip. Golf courses; Redland Bay, Carbrook. Riverlakes, Pacific, Wynnum are all under 1/2 hour away.

PeteyD
28th May 2013, 09:35 AM
Redlands is a great area. I spent a few years working in West End, driving from Victoria Point. I used to start work around 7:30 to avoid the worst of the traffic. Working in the city is a bit of bastard from out here, the commute is a killer, trains etc. I used to drive to Murrarie station and train from there. Having said that, the area is generally peaceful, easy access to the gateway motorway to head north, and the Pacific highway to head south. A collection of solid golf courses, all with reasonable membership fees (Redland bay is about $1100 a year. I think there is still no joining fee, but could be wrong).

There has been a huge amount of growth in the southern Redlands over the last 5-10 years (Mt Cotton and Redland Bay).

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 09:49 AM
Thanks Gents, I will be driving too and from work and the main office is based at West End for the time being. I normally leave pretty early in Sydney to miss the majority of traffic and like to get to work around 7.00 so I assume I would miss the majority of traffic on the way there. Getting home would be the problem as I would leave bang on peak hour.

PeteyD
28th May 2013, 09:53 AM
Trip home is crappy. West End to Anywhere. Getting to Redlands is probably a bit better than going down the Pacific Highway to the coast though. Old Cleveland Rd slows down a bit, but the highway comes to a standstill.

Moe Norman
28th May 2013, 09:55 AM
If I were you, purely from an investment point of view - I wouldn't touch Ormeau with a 10 foot pole.

Redlands really is a great area, I work here and live on the other side of town. Like you, Happy wife - happy life - so we'll be staying on the other side of town, but if I had a choice I would move out here in a heartbeat.

I'ma property developer and we have projects in Ormeau, Warner, Thornlands, Doolandella - so basically all points of the compass.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in something new, as I can look after you with a deal.

Daves
28th May 2013, 09:56 AM
Thanks Gents, I will be driving too and from work and the main office is based at West End for the time being. I normally leave pretty early in Sydney to miss the majority of traffic and like to get to work around 7.00 so I assume I would miss the majority of traffic on the way there. Getting home would be the problem as I would leave bang on peak hour.

Pretty much yes. When we first moved up here in '96 (from The Hills in Siderknee), I used to do the same, leave early and the trip was only half an hour. Now days I would reckon it would closer to 45 mins, because more are doing the same. Still a relatively short trip by Sydney standards! The trip home would be your issue, unless you are able to leave before 4/4.30pm, or after 6/6.30.

Moe Norman
28th May 2013, 09:57 AM
Trip home is crappy. West End to Anywhere. Getting to Redlands is probably a bit better than going down the Pacific Highway to the coast though. Old Cleveland Rd slows down a bit, but the highway comes to a standstill.

If going from West End to Viccie Point, would their be merit in going out through Fairfield, Mt Gravatt and along Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road to get home?

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 09:59 AM
If I were you, purely from an investment point of view - I wouldn't touch Ormeau with a 10 foot pole.

Redlands really is a great area, I work here and live on the other side of town. Like you, Happy wife - happy life - so we'll be staying on the other side of town, but if I had a choice I would move out here in a heartbeat.

I'ma property developer and we have projects in Ormeau, Warner, Thornlands, Doolandella - so basically all points of the compass.

Drop me a PM if you're interested in something new, as I can look after you with a deal.

Thanks Moe. We are going to rent for 12 months, because I am a tight arse and don't want to drop stamp duty etc. if the wife doesn't like it. But we will be looking at buying something new (most probably) when we do buy.

Any major reasons behind not going to Ormeau or just poor return etc.?

What are the

Daves
28th May 2013, 09:59 AM
If going from West End to Viccie Point, would their be merit in going out through Fairfield, Mt Gravatt and along Mount Gravatt-Capalaba Road to get home?

In the future possibly, but roadworks at Mackenzie? (converting the big roundabout to lights and dual carriage) have being going on for ages and it is a real bottle neck at present.

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 10:01 AM
Pretty much yes. When we first moved up here in '96 (from The Hills in Siderknee), I used to do the same, leave early and the trip was only half an hour. Now days I would reckon it would closer to 45 mins, because more are doing the same. Still a relatively short trip by Sydney standards! The trip home would be your issue, unless you are able to leave before 4/4.30pm, or after 6/6.30.

My commute at the moment takes 40 minutes most mornings, or 1.5 hours if like this morning a truck breaks down in one lane of the pacific hwy. Home takes a minimum of an hour dependent on what time I leave.

PeteyD
28th May 2013, 10:12 AM
In the future possibly, but roadworks at Mackenzie? (converting the big roundabout to lights and dual carriage) have being going on for ages and it is a real bottle neck at present.

Last time I went through (working at Mt Gravatt) it was a lot better than it has been. West End to Viccy Point most commonly I went over the hill through alderley, wellers hill and out that way, or around the PA and along Winstanley st to Carindale, or through the back of Coorparoo. they were all pretty similar time wise depending on rear end collisions.

My commute at the moment takes 40 minutes most mornings, or 1.5 hours if like this morning a truck breaks down in one lane of the pacific hwy. Home takes a minimum of an hour dependent on what time I leave.

Most likley you will have something similar depending on how far from West End you end up.

Moe Norman
28th May 2013, 10:23 AM
Thanks Moe. We are going to rent for 12 months, because I am a tight arse and don't want to drop stamp duty etc. if the wife doesn't like it. But we will be looking at buying something new (most probably) when we do buy.

Any major reasons behind not going to Ormeau or just poor return etc.?

Mate I just think Ormeau is a bit of a basketcase.

Values don't hold up, there is sooo much stock down there - but no developer (including us) is prepared to meet the market because of the loss it will incur. It's just a bit in what I call 'no mans land'.

It's not Gold Coast and its not Brisbane. It has the benefits of neither, and just sits there like a shag on a rock.

Thornlands would be your best bet:

http://www.kinrossestate.com.au/ (my project)

http://www.eastridgethornlands.com.au/ (competitor across the road)

Both will still be selling for another 18 months. You could rent in either too, to see if you like it as we will have completed investor homes by Jan 14.

The Villaworld project is spec homes, while ours offers custom H&L packages. There are benefits to both.

If ytou want a bit more space, you would try one of the Harridan developments who sell 1 acre blocks with small building envelopes in the area for around $450k which is reasonable value.

BrisVegas
28th May 2013, 10:43 AM
Just to add to the discussion, if you're happy to spend 2 hours a day in the car then the bayside area is great. There's no through traffic, so it remains fairly quiet and "country town" ish as daves said. It gets better weather than Brisbane, with the sea breezes and generally more moderate temps. IMHO though, I wouldn't drive in for work from out there and the 1hr train trip from Cleveland is not that attractive (and it's expensive these days).

I reckon if your work is in West End, rent in the inner suburbs <5km around there for a while and see what you think. Renting is a great way to see if you like an area, with minimal risk. It's an easy run down the M1 to the gold coast for a day at the beach, but there's no way in hell i'd do that trip as a commute. It can take an hour from Mt Gravatt, two hours from the Goldie. The inner suburbs usually have very good state schools and pretty strong real estate values.

YMMV of course. Good luck in your decision.

PeteyD
28th May 2013, 10:48 AM
Only issue with the inner suburbs is the price bracket might exclude him. But I agree with BV here. If I was to be working in the city area again I'd be looking to move closer.

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 11:00 AM
We won't ever buy in the inner suburbs because of the lifestyle with kids etc. and ideally we would like to limit the chances of uplifting the kids to and from schools etc. as much as possible. That is why we are looking at renting in the areas we want to buy in.

If it were up to me, we would go to Bribie Island and I would commute in from there, but it looks like I am losing the war regards Northside vs. Southside.

BrisVegas
28th May 2013, 11:11 AM
I wasn't suggesting you live in the CBD! :lol: There are heaps of "leafy" family friendly pockets 5km from the city.

shazza_rs
28th May 2013, 11:39 AM
I personally think the Bay Area would be nicer than Ormeau. Travel time would be around the same from either.

When we were looking to buy we discounted these areas as over time when you add up all extra travel, wear and tear on vehicles, petrol etc, we were better off trying to find that little bit more money up front and buying within 10km of the CBD. We ended up in Coopers Plains (southside) as it was close to my work (walking distance), plenty of schools and daycare in the area.

Also with family in Toowoomba it was an easier commute up there for visits which we do fairly regularly. Easy access to both the Pacific Motorway (gold coast) and the Gateway Motorway(sunshine coast).

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 11:47 AM
I wasn't suggesting you live in the CBD! :lol: There are heaps of "leafy" family friendly pockets 5km from the city.

Sorry, but I live in Sydney... 5k's around the city puts you in pretty expensive territory!

Sydney Hacker
28th May 2013, 11:50 AM
I personally think the Bay Area would be nicer than Ormeau. Travel time would be around the same from either.

When we were looking to buy we discounted these areas as over time when you add up all extra travel, wear and tear on vehicles, petrol etc, we were better off trying to find that little bit more money up front and buying within 10km of the CBD. We ended up in Coopers Plains (southside) as it was close to my work (walking distance), plenty of schools and daycare in the area.

Also with family in Toowoomba it was an easier commute up there for visits which we do fairly regularly. Easy access to both the Pacific Motorway (gold coast) and the Gateway Motorway(sunshine coast).

Travel costs has been factored into it, fortunately I get a company car and will be driving the guts out of it commuting as well as the 4-5 trips back to Sydney a year. The time factor is important also, I would just rather spend my time doing that to allow the wife to stay at home and the kids have a better lifestyle.

The slogging your guts out in Sydney style living has grown very thin for us and that is why we are looking at the move.

Moe Norman
28th May 2013, 11:55 AM
I commute across town from a suburb 5km from the CBD in the south West to a suburb on the bayside.

I find this commute better than the 5km commute into the city I did for 10 years.

I'd move out here for the lifestyle benefits, quality schools etc and happily then commute into the city again if I had to.

In those inner suburbs, you spend $800k and you might get a 4 bed house on a 450m2 block.

Out here in Thornlands you spend $800k you get an 800m2 block, with a brand new 5 bedroom home designed to suit your every need, probably with a triple garage if you want a boat or a caravan, there's room for that too. Throw in a pool, and you still have change from your $800k!

markTHEblake
28th May 2013, 01:19 PM
If you were considering Ormeau then perhaps look a bit further south too. There is never any traffic issues on the M1 even in peak once you get past Beenleigh so its nothing to go another 10-15k south.

So perhaps consider anything from Upper Coomera to Helensvale. South of the Helensvale exit is where the traffic starts to get annoying again.

Don't know if what Thommo says about Ormeau applies to Coomera.

Waddzy
28th May 2013, 02:11 PM
As Blakey said once your past Beenleigh its only an extra 2 mins to your trip per suburb so looking all the way down toward Helensvale might be a look too. Closer to the actual Gold Coast too as said earlier Ormeau is in middle land , Gold Coast doesn't claim it and too far to call it Brisbane or Logan. What time would you be heading home in the arvo's? Traffic in the morning is fine before 7am then its a different story on the M1 but arvo's you need to be left Brissie by 4ish or may as well stick around till 6:30. *Edit* But you don't want to be further south of Helensvale or Traffic starts again, but working in West End it sounds like you will end up around the Redland area.. great place TBH we do a lot of work around there.

BrisVegas
29th May 2013, 03:14 PM
Sorry, but I live in Sydney... 5k's around the city puts you in pretty expensive territory!

Understood. I lived in Marsfield before coming back to Brisbane. We couldn't afford to buy a house anywhere near there, which was a shame because I worked in North Ryde and my wife was in North Sydney. To get a house, we'd have been out in Kellyville...... It took one visit to that hell hole to convince us it was time to come back to Brisbane!

Sydney Hacker
2nd June 2013, 10:29 AM
What's Gainsborough Greens like? I was up that way in Thursday for a look around and I may consider suburbs further south for living in.

I have done a deal to knock off work earlier so will avoid traffic somewhat.

Other courses down that way would be Helensvale I assume?

IamViva
2nd June 2013, 10:43 AM
from my experience gainsborough has always been in good nick, and i dont mind the course layout. downside, everytime i have played there it hasnt taken much rain to make the greens unplayable though...

markTHEblake
2nd June 2013, 12:08 PM
What's Gainsborough Greens like? I was up that way in Thursday for a look around and I may consider suburbs further south for living in. I have done a deal to knock off work earlier so will avoid traffic somewhat. Other courses down that way would be Helensvale I assume?No traffic problems around GG. But nothing much around it like shops etc. ( unless they have built some recently). Like most Golf courses on the GC it is built on a swamp so when wet they are boggy so it is not practical to rule if out for that reason alone.

Helensvale is not a bad place to live due to being only a a couple minutes from M1 and Westfield but if you are a golf course snob you would probably not enjoy it.

Sasquatch
2nd June 2013, 01:05 PM
Have you considered Windaroo? My mate works in West End with flexible start/finish times & lives next to Windaroo Lakes Golf Course. He loves it. Something like this http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-windaroo-113588691

(http://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-qld-windaroo-113588691)