PDA

View Full Version : Cheap options for a tall lefty chopper mate?

LarryLong
4th November 2012, 10:11 PM
Hey folks,

A mate I play with occasionally was talking about getting a new set last time we played. He generally shoots 100+, so we're not talking premium stuff here. Left handed, possibly longer to suit a bloke of about 6'3", but he's probably playing standard now. Well, at least two of his clubs came out of a rubbish bin behind a pro shop at our last round, so I'm guessing he wouldn't know the difference.

He's thinking of going in to Drummonds, but I'm thinking that I could put him onto something much cheaper that would do the job.

If he was a righty, I would send him to rockbottom and there would be heaps of options, but it's a bit leaner for the lefties. At the moment the best I can come up with is from rockbottom:

Driver: Callaway iMix FT-IQ 11 degree - $80
5 wood: Adams Tight Lies - $20
Irons: Cobra S3 4-PW + GW - $320
Wedge: Nicklaus golf SW - $7
Putter: He can probably stick with the one he has - he's a terrible putter. Failing that, $30 Ray Cook whacky mallet thing.

All up, possibly a smidge over $500 with shipping. Is this as good as you can do for a lefty, or can anybody suggest a better deal? Let's say $500 budget, but bonus points for cheaper. :)

LeftyHoges
4th November 2012, 11:06 PM
3Balls and GlobalGolf could be an option aswell. 3balls do discount shipping for every $100 you spend.

TheAwesom1
4th November 2012, 11:58 PM
I know with the used stuff at Global Golf you can get discounts for Lefties.

LeftyHoges
5th November 2012, 12:01 AM
I know with the used stuff at Global Golf you can get discounts for Lefties.

Yeah, last time I shopped there there was a 25% discount for all used lefty gear. Made my AP2's stoopid cheap instead of ridiculous cheap! ;-)

TheAwesom1
5th November 2012, 12:07 AM
yeah, last time i shopped there there was a 25% discount for all used lefty gear. Made my ap2's stoopid cheap instead of ridiculous cheap! ;-)

that is awesome

LarryLong
5th November 2012, 08:04 AM
Thanks guys. Had a look at the usual suspects - globalgolf, 3balls, tgw. Not too much in the extreme tightarse price range, but these Callaway Diablo Edge irons could do the trick for just under $300

http://www.globalgolf.com/product/golfclub/-/pid--1023991/dxt--1/left-hand/iron-set/callaway/diablo-edge-r.aspx

Of course, if you buy from two sources you double the postage.

Once upon a time you used to be able to pick up new sticks from little known quality brands like Orlimar, Tour Edge, and even Adams on the cheap around the traps, but these don't seem to be around anymore. Any go-to brands for bang for buck? I miss the days of cheap Nickent sticks everywhere. :)