PDA

View Full Version : Help with 80's music challenge

Webster
2nd November 2012, 09:57 PM
A few buddies of mine and I are children of the 80's. We have laid down a challenge to come up with a 10 song set from the golden era of perms, mullets and the mighty synthesizer. The songs must importantly flow from one to other and finish strong. No metal or hard rock allowed.

I'd like to finish the last three as:

Hooters - All you zombies
Mr Mister - Kyrie
Toto - Africa

Please help me with the first 7. Love, Jack.

damoocow
2nd November 2012, 09:59 PM
Pseudo Echo - Listening?

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:08 PM
I didn't think you rated The Hooters Jack?

Here are a few possibles to start with;

Jona Lewie - Stop the Calvary
Stars on 45 - Medley
The Muffs - Kids in America
Kim Carnes - Bette Davis Eyes

Webster
2nd November 2012, 10:09 PM
How do I bridge Pseudo Echo to the Hooters? They can't go back to back. Maybe some Nu Shooz-"I can't wait" in between (man that was a sweet track).

This is harder than I thought.

damoocow
2nd November 2012, 10:11 PM
Apart from Jona Lewie this is starting to sound like a Nerd/Loser party

What about some Wa Wa Nee?

Webster
2nd November 2012, 10:18 PM
Damo, the 80's in hindsight is very nerdy, so no harm done there.

I'm going to lead off with Henry Lee Summer - Wish I had a girl who walked like that. The opening "scowl" is perfect. I can then mellow out for a couple of track (Jona Lewie is ideal) before coming home strong. Gimme some more suggestions people.

3Puttpete
2nd November 2012, 10:23 PM
Springsteen - Dancing in the dark could get you to zombies

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:23 PM
J Geils Band - Centrefold, Love Stinks or Freeze Frame
Hot Chocolate - No doubt about it
Ultravox - Hymn
Leo Sayer?

3Puttpete
2nd November 2012, 10:25 PM
What do you mean by they have to flow? Song title, artist?

Webster
2nd November 2012, 10:28 PM
3putt, thanks but no Springsteen-he will incur s 5 beer penalty for selling out with Born in the USA.

I like J Geils Daves. They could flow straight into the Hooters.

So 1, and 6-10 are sorted, with Jone Lewie in the middle somewhere (no homo). I need a ballad too if possible.

Webster
2nd November 2012, 10:33 PM
What do you mean by they have to flow? Song title, artist?

The 80's was the dawning of the mix tape. The songs have to flow into each other. It should be seamless. You can't have Sade starting after Twisted Sister has just finished.

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:36 PM
Talking Heads - Burning Down the House, Road To Nowhere, Once in a Life Time

Ballad candidates;

Taylor Dayne - Heart of Stone
Rod Stewart - Forever Young
Tears for Fears - Woman in Chains

damoocow
2nd November 2012, 10:37 PM
I have another option for 6.
The Call - The Walls Came Down.
If Zombies are apocolyptic then this song leads into that theme and it has synthesiser/keyboards... and it ain't rock

damoocow
2nd November 2012, 10:38 PM
I hope this is all being done on a TDK cassette

3Puttpete
2nd November 2012, 10:39 PM
Born in the USA a sell out? Hardly

Webster
2nd November 2012, 10:40 PM
Daves, I'd prefer a Foreigner ballad I think -I wanna know what love is. Actually, it could then follow on with Lou Gram - Midnight Blue as songs 2 and 3. Giddy up, it's all falling into place.

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:40 PM
The Church - Under The Milky Way, The Unguarded Moment, Almost with you.

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:43 PM
Daves, I'd prefer a Foreigner ballad I think -I wanna know what love is. Actually, it could then follow on with Lou Gram - Midnight Blue as songs 2 and 3. Giddy up, it's all falling into place.

I thought Foreigner might be too rocky, but good choice.

Richard Marx did lots of ballads.

TourFit
2nd November 2012, 10:44 PM
Kids In The Kitchen - Change In Mood
The Pretenders - Back On The Chain Gang
Don Henley - Boys Of Summer
Johnny Hates Jazz - Shattered Dreams
Big Pig - Hungry Town
Deacon Blue - Wages Day
Simple Minds - Waterfront

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:52 PM
For some Oz flavour;

Icehouse - Hey Little Girl
Men at Work - Down Under (groan)
Moving Pictures - What about Me
The Oils - Wedding Cake Island

LarryLong
2nd November 2012, 10:54 PM
Surely there has to be some Wham! in there somewhere?

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:55 PM
For Electro Flavour;

Adam Ant - Ant Music
Soft Cell - Tainted Love
The Vapors -Turning Japanese

Daves
2nd November 2012, 10:57 PM
List of 80's Oz Chart No. 1s here;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_number-one_singles_in_Australia_during_the_1980s

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2012, 11:00 PM
I'd be finishing more with a Bon Jovi track. You Give Love a Bad Name and Livin' on a Prayer being obvious candidates. Alternately you could slap a heavier ballad from them in the middle, Wanted Dead or Alive or plenty of others according to personal choice would rock.

Wouldn't forget Robert Palmers big two either, Addicted to Love and Simply Irresistable. He also has plenty of fine slower tunes that would blend into what you need.

Webster
2nd November 2012, 11:07 PM
People, thank you for the suggestions, they have been superb. But remember, that much like a fine golf course, the holes/songs must flow from one to the next.

TNO, whilst Bon Jovi will always be strong in my loin, they are too much to finish this set, hence why i chose Toto. We shall save the likes of You Give Love a Bad Name for the next challenge.

Subtlety, much like the finest greens in golf, is what wins a contest such as this.

sms316
2nd November 2012, 11:15 PM
Star Trekkin by The Firm. Can't go wrong with that one.

Outcast
2nd November 2012, 11:20 PM
Jack,

I was unable to contribute after you stipulated no metal or hard rock... That was all I cared about in the 80s, 90s, Naughtys & infact now really...

Sorry but, feel free to contact me when you have a metal challenge; I feel I could make a huge contribution to that challenge:lol:

idgolfguy
2nd November 2012, 11:22 PM
Star Trekkin by The Firm. Can't go wrong with that one.

It's dead, Jim!

Bruce Dickinson
2nd November 2012, 11:41 PM
Duran Duran - girls on film
Spandau Ballet - true
Nik Kershaw - the riddle
Adam and the ants - stand and deliver
Tear for fears - mad world
Visage - fade to grey
Yazoo - only you

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2012, 11:50 PM
People, thank you for the suggestions, they have been superb. But remember, that much like a fine golf course, the holes/songs must flow from one to the next.

TNO, whilst Bon Jovi will always be strong in my loin, they are too much to finish this set, hence why i chose Toto. We shall save the likes of You Give Love a Bad Name for the next challenge.

Subtlety, much like the finest greens in golf, is what wins a contest such as this.

Sorry Jack, i missed the hard rock bit.

Babooshka, Tired of Toin' The Line, In the Air Tonight, What About Me, much of Chicago, Abracadabra, I Can Dream About you, Oh Sherrie!, Suddenly, Stop and What About Love would all fit in quite sweetly.

Courty
3rd November 2012, 12:15 AM
Mondo Rock - Come Said The Boy

bergsey
3rd November 2012, 01:39 AM
Martha & the muffins - echo beach

Hatchman
3rd November 2012, 01:50 AM
Cameo - Word Up
Flock of Seagulls - I Run
Nena - 99 Luftballons
Phsyacadelic Furs - Love My Way

Jarro
3rd November 2012, 04:55 AM
'Hard To Say I'm Sorry' by Chicago has to be in there somewhere.

What about 'Faithfully' by Journey ?

BrisWesty
3rd November 2012, 06:58 AM
We Will Rock You - Queen
Vienna - Ultravox
These Dreams - Heart
Head over Heels - Tears for Fears

Marto65
3rd November 2012, 07:04 AM
Ballads -
Talking Heads - Heaven
U2 - 40
The Motels - Total Control

Others
Died in your Arms - Cutting Crew
If you leave - OMD
White Lines - Grand Master Flash ( bahahahahaha)

Rodent
3rd November 2012, 08:06 AM
Counting The Beat-The Swingers
Whip It-Devo

Marto65
3rd November 2012, 08:15 AM
Jack - just go on ITunes and type in 80's

Dotty
3rd November 2012, 08:34 AM
Why not just use The Wedding Singer playlist?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120888/soundtrack

Johnny Canuck
3rd November 2012, 09:57 AM
Cameo - Word Up
Flock of Seagulls - I Run
Nena - 99 Luftballons
Phsyacadelic Furs - Love My Way

I was going to suggest When Doves Cry blended into Cameo's Word Up.

Good suggestions Hatchman. Midge Ure's "if I was" would go great with "love my way", as would Ultravox's "dancing with tears in my eyes".

markTHEblake
3rd November 2012, 10:21 AM
Times Square soundtrack. Job done.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Square_(soundtrack)#section_1

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2012, 10:33 AM
The trouble with simply using US playlists is that many of the songs were lesser or barely anything over here. e.g. Robin Johnson didn't even hit the top 100 over here.

Johnny Canuck
3rd November 2012, 10:40 AM
That's a good thing, you can discover new tunes 30 years later. That was a good thing about moving to Aus. Bands like Aussie Crawl and Chisel were new releases in my mind.

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2012, 10:48 AM
That's a good thing, you can discover new tunes 30 years later. That was a good thing about moving to Aus. Bands like Aussie Crawl and Chisel were new releases in my mind.

Totally and absolutely agree but i don't think Jack's after that.

I was cyber pals with a chick from Canada JC and man did she put me onto some music mate, in the same vein you speak of. I think we discussed it before. Doucette, Saga, Aldo Nova, the list goes on and on. She also gave me a proper appreciation of Neill Young. In return i exposed her to bands like the two you mention, for starters. Australia has a plethora of awesome music that wasn't overly exposed wordwide.

I've picked up many a great tune from U.S. soundtracks/films and the like that i'd otherwise never know.

Johnny Canuck
3rd November 2012, 10:48 AM
After picturing Jack walking down the fairway with 3 vertically challenged OzGolfers and his arm around Nuffie at Kennedy Bay, I can't help but think "the Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats has a spot on this playlist.

Johnny Canuck
3rd November 2012, 10:51 AM
Totally and absolutely agree but i don't think Jack's after that.

I was cyber pals with a chick from Canada JC and man did she put me onto some music mate, in the same vein you speak of. I think we discussed it before. Doucette, Saga, Aldo Nova, the list goes on and on. She also gave me a proper appreciation of Neill Young. In return i exposed her to bands like the two you mention, for starters. Australia has a plethora of awesome music that wasn't overly exposed wordwide.

I've picked up many a great tune from U.S. soundtracks/films and the like that i'd otherwise never know.

Awesome music she put you on to Nuke. I think I need to get me some of those on rotation this morning.

TheNuclearOne
3rd November 2012, 10:52 AM
After picturing Jack walking down the fairway with 3 vertically challenged OzGolfers and his arm around Nuffie at Kennedy Bay, I can't help but think "the Safety Dance" by Men Without Hats has a spot on this playlist.

Bwahahahahaha. After digesting pics and stories from the WA champs i'm figuring it was really something. The course looked most interesting too.

Sorry Jack!

TourFit
3rd November 2012, 06:03 PM
Nuffie could have written the words to Safety Dance...as they don't make any sense either!

Marto65
3rd November 2012, 06:37 PM
I was a bit of a fan of Men Without Hats. I think I had 3 albums.

jimandr
4th November 2012, 09:45 PM
Damo, the 80's in hindsight is very nerdy, so no harm done there.

I'm going to lead off with Henry Lee Summer - Wish I had a girl who walked like that. The opening "scowl" is perfect. I can then mellow out for a couple of track (Jona Lewie is ideal) before coming home strong. Gimme some more suggestions people.

I'm struggling a bit with the rules here, but of you are starting off with the scowl of Henry, it must be followed by the best scowl in the business, Billy Idol.... and if it were Hot In the City, that must be followed by Nick Gilder's Hot Child in the City, and Black Velvet by Alannah Miles would have to follow that, then you could go I Can't Wait by Nu Shooz, thyen Waiting for a Girl Like you, then you are home. If you went in a different direction, you could Wear Your Sunglasses at Night, because The Future's So Bright You'd Have to Wear Shades. I could go on, but I'd better not.

Webster
4th November 2012, 09:59 PM
You've nailed it Jimandr, thanks.

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2012, 10:00 PM
I have always been a big fan of the mix tape and the thought process involved.

This has got me putting together a nice 80s mix for the car this week.

I've got a nice, 3 song Euro blend featuring Peter Schilling's "Major Tom", Nik Kershaw's "Wouldn't it be Good" and Falco's "Vienna Calling".

Jack, you are a good man, feel free to use it as your own and bring some class to this mix tape.

Webster
4th November 2012, 10:19 PM
JC, glad you agree it's a considered process and not just throwing a bunch of songs together. Respect.

Johnny Canuck
4th November 2012, 10:42 PM
It's one thing choosing great songs. The order is the key and the difference between a great tape and something that should be thrown out the window.

Hornby covers it surprisingly well in "High Fidelity".

TourFit
5th November 2012, 04:27 PM
Bruce...? :D

PeteyD
5th November 2012, 06:22 PM
FGTH Welcome to the Pleasuredome, The Cure Lovecats, Survivor Eye of the Tiger (or is that too heavy?)

Jarro
5th November 2012, 06:26 PM
Why no rock !?!

Bruce
5th November 2012, 06:45 PM
Bruce...? :D

Am I being summoned here?

TheNuclearOne
5th November 2012, 07:16 PM
Why no rock !?!

It's later apparently.

BayBum
5th November 2012, 09:56 PM
Myself & a mate from work made a mixtape list about 2 months ago & i think i have thrown it out ! :roll:.

No idea where these would fit in but they were somewhere amongst the mammoth list we came up with..

Hall and Oates - Dreams come true

Fine Young Cannibals - She drives me crazy

Tainted Love - Soft Cell

Talking Heads (pretty much any song) - Burning down the house ?

White Snake - Here i go again

Run DMC - Walk this way

Daves
8th November 2012, 08:45 PM
Here is my first past at the list, including those Jack has included so far;

1. Henry Lee Smith - I wish I had a girl
2. John Waite - Missing you
3. A Flock of Seagulls - I ran
4. Jona Lewie - Stop the cavalry
5. Europe - Final Countdown
6. Foreigner - I want to know what love is
7. J Geils Band - Freeze Frame
8. The Hooters - All you Zombies
9. Kyrie - Mr Mister
10. Toto - Africa

Jona Lewie doesn't quite fit though, wrong tempo.

Daves
10th November 2012, 10:01 AM
Here is my own list for a Rock (no metal) playlist. couldn't get it below 13. slots;

1. Aerosmith - Janie's got a gun
2. Billy Idol - Rebel Yell
3. George Thorogood - Bad to the bone
4. The Georgia Satellites - Keep your hands to yourself
5. Pat Benatar - Hit me with your best shot
6. Iggy Pop - Real wild child
7. Poison - Nothing but a good time
8. Quiet Riot - Cum on feel the noize
9. Red Hot Chilli Peppers - Higher ground
10. ZZ Top - Legs
11. Guns n Roses - Sweet child O' Mine
12. U2 - New Years Day