PDA

View Full Version : Flex perplexed

olddogmike
2nd November 2012, 12:40 PM
I am a bit perplexed regarding flex. I have two sets of irons, a set of GI Ping G15 with light flex ( seniors flex) shafts, and a set of Titleist 990's with True Temper regular flex shafts. I notice that the distance I get from the Titleist irons is greater than my Ping irons, although I can spray the MB's if I am not carefull. Using the theory, would I get even more distance if I used stiff flex with my irons or drivers?

razaar
2nd November 2012, 01:24 PM
Mike
The answer to your dilemma may relate to spin and trajectory. I have a similar issue with Ping shafts, they feel softer than those in the other OEM's clubs in the softer flexes. Consequently my shots fly higher and shorter with Ping irons.

Captain Nemo
2nd November 2012, 01:38 PM
Agree, i think the Ping shafts in general play a touch softer than other shaft companies.

TourFit
2nd November 2012, 01:50 PM
It's more to do with EI profiles guys...I can get a seniors flex that is 'stiffer' than another companies' Reg flex, but it is the PROFILE that counts.

If it is a flex issue, then testing two identical shafts in the different flexes will give you an idea. But to test based on shaft a with flex 1, and shaft b with flex 2 is not the way to do it. The heads also will have a BIG effect on the trajectory, spin and distance (are the lofts on the two irons the same, I doubt it)

Too many variables going on to tell anything at all.

olddogmike
2nd November 2012, 05:55 PM
Another reason I asked this question is that I have been using a TM R11 with a Fujikura Motore reg flex shaft, which if I swing it gently will go straight, but if I try to put the effort for a longer drive, the result would be a fade. I have recently bought a Japanese driver with a Graphalloy Pro Launch red shaft, and when the extra effort is applied it still goes straight. Both shafts are regular flex mids. I have a spare Diamana Kai'Li stiff shaft although it is made for Titleist, would my R11 benefit by changing to this shaft instead of the Fujikura?