PDA

View Full Version : New/Unread Topics (admin: Done)

drunken
20th October 2005, 06:54 AM
Is there any possibility that the unread highlited unread posts can last for longer than your current session? I regularly use a PC that is fairly unstable & likes to kill any internet browser at random. So I lose all the undread posts since last visit. Also sometimes I just want to pop in for a few minutes and don't have time to read ALL the posts.

AndyP
20th October 2005, 07:15 AM
There is an option at the bottom of each forum that allows you to read new topics from the last 1 day, 7 days, etc.

Within each topic there is the same for posts. :smt017

I usually just go through each forum looking at the time of the last post, when the session stuffs up.

I don't know if there is a modification that allows you to enter the date/time that you would like to search from, for new posts.

drunken
20th October 2005, 07:18 AM
Well even just the orange highlights that tell you which posts you haven't read. I've used other forums based on the same forum that save the posts until you actually read them...

AndyP
20th October 2005, 07:23 AM
Well even just the orange highlights that tell you which posts you haven't read. I've used other forums based on the same forum that save the posts until you actually read them...
Which forums? They may not be phpbb.

drunken
20th October 2005, 07:33 AM
sorry bad english there...i have used other forums that use the same software that have this feature....I'll try & find one for you...problem is most of the forums seem to have changed software in the last year..

markTHEblake
20th October 2005, 08:49 PM
Yep, i have seen those forums too.
i gotta click on the 'all forums read' to clear the ones i dont wanna read. w

which would be a lot around here.....

would be kinda nice to have a 'ignore thread' option. but havent seen one of those available.

and before jarra pops in with the predicatible statement, an 'ignore certain person' option ;-)

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 12:49 AM
Is there any possibility that the unread highlited unread posts can last for longer than your current session? I regularly use a PC that is fairly unstable & likes to kill any internet browser at random. So I lose all the undread posts since last visit. Also sometimes I just want to pop in for a few minutes and don't have time to read ALL the posts.
I've used other forums based on the same forum that save the posts until you actually read them...
I believe I've found what you wanted.
Should make things a bit easier for you.

I'll provide more details later, but it is installed as of now.

Jarro
22nd November 2005, 06:03 AM
nice work P, clears away read posts now ... helps keep the page a lot cleaner :wink:

Good work son, put in for a raise.

3oneday
22nd November 2005, 08:57 AM
Is there a way of marking the topics read without having to go to each category ??? Seemed easier the other way personally ??? :)

Pete

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 09:08 AM
Is there a way of marking the topics read without having to go to each category ??? Seemed easier the other way personally ??? :)
How were you marking them as read before?

3oneday
22nd November 2005, 09:23 AM
How were you marking them as read before?Once I logged in and read what I wanted, the next time I came back to the site only new ones showed. It was doing it for me :? :?

Pete

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 09:40 AM
How were you marking them as read before?Once I logged in and read what I wanted, the next time I came back to the site only new ones showed. It was doing it for me  :?  :?

Down the bottom of the index page, click on 'mark all forums read'.

drunken
22nd November 2005, 10:54 AM
Thank you AP. Thats exactly what I was talking about. Itshandy if you only have a few minutes to have a look. That way anything you missed you can go back to next time you login :D

Toolish
22nd November 2005, 11:30 AM
How were you marking them as read before?Once I logged in and read what I wanted, the next time I came back to the site only new ones showed. It was doing it for me  :?  :?

Down the bottom of the index page, click on 'mark all forums read'.

Just a small thing, can this link be added to the bottom of the page all the time, not just the index. That way it is there once you search for new posts without having to go back to the index.

AndyP
22nd November 2005, 11:38 AM
..click on 'mark all forums read'.

Just a small thing, can this link be added to the bottom of the page all the time, not just the index.  That way it is there once you search for new posts without having to go back to the index.
I'll look into it, but it shouldn't be a major obstacle.

Will adding it to the search new posts page only, be okay?

3oneday
22nd November 2005, 11:50 AM
Will adding it to the search new posts page only, be okay?that would be brilliant 8)

Toolish
22nd November 2005, 12:44 PM
that will do it

Choppa
22nd November 2005, 01:31 PM
Great job Andy...and Drunken for asking. It's just what I have been wanting too :D

AndyP
30th November 2005, 12:46 PM
Has anyone come across posts that they haven't read, but it wasn't indicated as unread? I think I have a couple of times. :?

Any other problems with this modification?

drunken
30th November 2005, 04:13 PM
Nope has worked perfectly all the time.