PDA

View Full Version : If it smells like dog poo...

live4golf
21st October 2012, 07:43 PM
There is a bloke who is a member at my club, let's call him Doug. Doug is a C Grader and has been well-known around the traps for handicap manipulating. I understand a couple of clubs in the region have had him ejected. We have just finished our Club Champs and Doug did pretty well, he won C grade nett on day 1, came 2nd on Day 2 and won on day 3 to give himself a 16 shot buffer heading into the final round. Worth noting that he played in the Wednesday comp during the week, a Par event, and shot -12. In the Wednesday Stableford game the week before he had somewhere in the 20's.

After yesterday's round, I noticed a committee member talking with him, all quite casually. Anyway, he mysteriously pulled out a couple of hours before tee off today.

What do you think makes a person do this, and think it is all good? - surely after the first, or second club ejects you then you'd get the message. I feel a little sorry for this bloke, he is a nice guy but there is obviously something that is not quite right with him.

Anyone else seen this sort of thing?...is there anything that can be done to help him, rather than just run him out of town?

Cheers.

sms316
21st October 2012, 07:48 PM
Sounds like your committee have some stones, but not grapefruits. Surely he didnt deserve a chance?

Webster
21st October 2012, 07:50 PM
Maybe he just thrives under pressure?

sms316
21st October 2012, 07:51 PM
Is his home club located in FNQ?

CobraSS
21st October 2012, 07:59 PM

:smt064

Hatchman
21st October 2012, 09:04 PM
It's had to grasp why some people do this sort of thing.
It's safe to say, if they do this sort of thing with a game of golf what are they capable of when it comes to real life situations and money. I shudder to think.

Lagerlover
21st October 2012, 09:06 PM
It's safe to say, if they do this sort of thing with a game of golf what are they capable of when it comes to real life situations and money. I shudder to think.

pimp sunbirds?...... JUST JOKING!!

PeteyD
21st October 2012, 09:32 PM
:D, maybe they win holidays to Vegas ;)

It amazes me that people do that.

Lagerlover
21st October 2012, 09:39 PM
enlighten me peter, what is it youre trying to say/

PeteyD
21st October 2012, 09:42 PM
;)

Amazed that someone like Doug would do what he appears to be doing.

The vegas stab is pure jealousy mate.

Johnny Canuck
21st October 2012, 09:45 PM

I laughed out loud.

jaybam
21st October 2012, 10:33 PM
:D, maybe they win holidays to Vegas ;)It amazes me that people do that.That's the pot / kettle . From someone that always seems to peak just in time for ozgolf majors ????????????

PeteyD
21st October 2012, 10:37 PM
Ha. Yep they are all I care about!

markTHEblake
21st October 2012, 11:01 PM

some people are habitual liars, others are repeat murderers, no conscience.

LarryLong
21st October 2012, 11:16 PM
I'm betting Lance Armstrong has a couple of club champs under his belt too.

jaybam
21st October 2012, 11:23 PM
We have our resident sand bagger here already. We don't ned any more ;)

Golfnut
21st October 2012, 11:25 PM
So did anyone actually step in it?

Johnny Canuck
21st October 2012, 11:27 PM
We have our resident sand bagger here already. We don't ned any more ;)

I'll pay that.

Ferrins
22nd October 2012, 09:31 AM
Scores are manipulated, balls are kicked and rules abused. That's club golf!

sms316
22nd October 2012, 09:38 AM
Scores are manipulated, balls are kicked and rules abused. That's club golf!
They should just get rid of nett events. Problem solved.

jaybam
22nd October 2012, 10:06 AM
Ha. Yep they are all I care about! Sorry did I hit a raw nerve there ?

Ferrins
22nd October 2012, 10:29 AM
They should just get rid of nett events. Problem solved.

In tennis we give each other a right rev about line calls and gamesmanship where in golf it is such a big deal to call someone on a rules breach and such.

People are accused of cheating but if this is through ignorance then is it really cheating?

Monsta
23rd October 2012, 09:28 AM
I think we all know someone that will miss a put or fly a chip the week before a major tournament, but the people who intentionally play bad to build their H/cap are cheats.
I know of a player who does exactly that, he knows exactly what he needs to shoot to get a shot back and is blatent about doing it. That pisses me off, whenever I stand at the first tee, my intention is to play as well as I can and win (very rarely works, but I try)

Ahh thats better, had my rant for the day and the need to kill someone has dissipated........

PeteyD
23rd October 2012, 10:15 AM
Sorry did I hit a raw nerve there ?

ummm nope.

number9
24th October 2012, 09:03 AM
I played pennant with a local bloke (biggest handicap cheat out) plays off 18 but should really be off around 9 :roll:, continuously wins monthly medals and club champs and has never lost a game of matchplay in his life.
The most disturbing part is that no-one seems to give two shits,
Should he be banned or stripped of his titles? I can't seem to think of any suitable deterrent for repeat offenders like him...

Goldy
24th October 2012, 09:04 AM
It's not Lance is it?

tim_golfer2
25th October 2012, 10:10 PM
Last year in our club champs I was playing against a guy who was riding in a cart. On a number of occasions off the tee I thought he was in bushes and suggested he hit a provisional. Each time he said he thought he'd be fine and sure enough, by the time I caught up to him and his cart his ball was looking good.

It wasn't until the 16th that a couple of guys playing another match on the adjoining 14th saw him pick up his ball and actually throw it further down the fairway!

He ended up getting a 3 month holiday from the club

Hatchman
25th October 2012, 10:31 PM
I played pennant with a local bloke (biggest handicap cheat out) plays off 18 but should really be off around 9 :roll:, continuously wins monthly medals and club champs and has never lost a game of matchplay in his life.
The most disturbing part is that no-one seems to give two shits,
Should he be banned or stripped of his titles? I can't seem to think of any suitable deterrent for repeat offenders like him...

Big difference in standard of player from 18 to 9.
Doesn't the Golflink anchor stop this sort of player getting their handicap back out by more than four once they have those good rounds they want to win monthly medals and championships.

BenM
25th October 2012, 10:43 PM
Last year in our club champs I was playing against a guy who was riding in a cart. On a number of occasions off the tee I thought he was in bushes and suggested he hit a provisional. Each time he said he thought he'd be fine and sure enough, by the time I caught up to him and his cart his ball was looking good.

It wasn't until the 16th that a couple of guys playing another match on the adjoining 14th saw him pick up his ball and actually throw it further down the fairway!

He ended up getting a 3 month holiday from the club

Just shithouse. Cheats ruin it for everyone. I am aware of one at our club - don't want to say too much on a public forum but pretty sure he is still doing it even after a suspension. Pisses me off.

On another note - you're allowed to use carts in the club champs? Not at our club, they might be allowed during the (stroke) qualifying but during the matchplay component at least, we all walk!

LeftyHoges
26th October 2012, 12:30 AM
Just shithouse. Cheats ruin it for everyone. I am aware of one at our club - don't want to say too much on a public forum but pretty sure he is still doing it even after a suspension. Pisses me off.

On another note - you're allowed to use carts in the club champs? Not at our club, they might be allowed during the (stroke) qualifying but during the matchplay component at least, we all walk!

Let loose Ben. We won't judge. Cheaters need to be named and shamed!

tim_golfer2
26th October 2012, 06:14 AM
That issue was also touched upon when he went in front of the committee.
He produced a long out of date medical certificate when questioned about it.
I believe that now we are required to submit a current med cert before teeing off in such an event if we need to ride in a cart.

mike
26th October 2012, 03:54 PM
plays off 18 but should really be off around 9 :roll:, continuously wins monthly medals and club champs ...how many c grade club champs has he won?

WBennett
26th October 2012, 04:05 PM
Isn't winning the C Grade Championships like getting a gold star for least retarded?

Lagerlover
26th October 2012, 04:26 PM
Isn't winning the C Grade Championships like getting a gold star for least retarded?

I thought gold stars were for birdies only?

Ferrins
26th October 2012, 04:47 PM
I put gold stars on my card for birdies.:D

Lagerlover
26th October 2012, 04:58 PM
Do you list on eBay?

BrisVegas
26th October 2012, 05:00 PM

:lol:

dc68
26th October 2012, 10:50 PM
It's it smells like dog poo Jack's arse can't be far away....

Webster
26th October 2012, 11:13 PM
Harsh.

sms316
26th October 2012, 11:45 PM
Probably smells more like blue cheese.

Monsta
27th October 2012, 02:31 AM

I didn't realise you have won a C Grade Championship Benno, I will have to pay more attention to the club honour board next time I'm there.

Ferrins
28th October 2012, 08:11 AM
"I know that thousands of golfers console themselves with the game's being an avenue to exercise and companionship—which is wonderful—but every golfer, at the bottom of his heart, wants to play the game relatively well. To do that takes some application, some thought, some effort, but the golfer who goes about this wisely will play good golf and should go on to enjoy his golf increasingly the rest of his life. The greatest pleasure is obtained by improving." Ben Hogan

number9
30th October 2012, 09:42 AM
how many c grade club champs has he won?

3 or 4?
He has won the medal of medalists a couple of times also..

number9
30th October 2012, 09:43 AM
It's not Lance is it?

Mr. Lance C??
No he plays off 2, nothing suspect about his game..

mike
30th October 2012, 09:44 AM
how many c grade club champs has he won?

3 or 4?
He has won the medal of medalists a couple of times also..Pfft.