PDA

View Full Version : 3 Wood Shaft in Driver

Hatchman
16th October 2012, 01:44 AM
I'm having issues with not putting enough drives into play. I'm hitting way too many dead drives during a round, any where from 5 -8 a round where I don't have a full swing and have to manufacture a recovery shot (luckily 1/3 to 1/2 of these I'm managing to convert to pars still).

For an experiment I took the shaft out of my R11's 3 wood and put it in my R11's Driver to see if I would get more control with a shorter shaft. I wasn't playing on my home course so I wasn't able to tell if I suffered any distance loss but don't think I did as I was playing from the areas where I would expect to. I thought I had stumbled onto something for a while as with three to go I had only hit 3 dead drives and one of them was a straight hit down the left into the first cut before it took a big bounce left into the tree line. The last three resulted in a bad cut , a block and a big pull to put me on the same average as when before. Up until that point I was feeling a lot more confident about pointing it up the middle and holding the line.

Must say it did look a bit funny and almost looked like a kids cut down club with the three wood shaft in it. It didn't feel any different to swing. My impacts on the face were in the same spots as normal (middle or towards toe off middle). Ball trajectory was about the same or maybe slightly higher. My usual driver shaft is the standard RIP Phenom 60 Stiff and the 3 wood shaft is a RIP Phenom 70 Stiff. I do think I need to find a better shaft suited to me thou and think I will play it a little shorter than the std R11 length. My stock shot is a fade. My bad misses are block cuts and I hit the odd pull.

Who else out there has gone to and are using a much shorter than std length shaft in their driver?

Dotty
16th October 2012, 06:45 AM
Here's a thorough thread on the subject, from earlier this year ...

http://www.ozgolf.net/showthread.php/27294-Less-spin-with-your-driver-.-.-.

BayBum
16th October 2012, 07:20 AM
Sergio Garcia.

Captain Nemo
16th October 2012, 07:47 AM
Well your stock driver length is probably 1" over what it should be anyway?
Im not surprsied, nor will most on here be witthe results;

R11™S DRIVER specifications

Club
Hand
Loft
Lie
Volume
Length
Swing Weight

9.0º
R/L
9.0º
59.5°
460cc
45.75”
D4

10.5º
R/L
10.5º
59.5°
460cc
45.75”
D4

liptout
16th October 2012, 08:25 AM
i bought an old R9 (set up to play 12.5') to experiment with this exact thing.
i took out the stock shaft that came with it and tipped it 2.5 inches to play it at 3 wood length.... best thing i ever did.
this club is a little rocket launcher.... its seriously almost impossible to not hit a fairway with it.
i generally only try to get it out about 210/220m with an easy swing, but if i need more i can get a bit more aggressive (tee it a bit lower) and launch in to it and can get alot more distance.....

liptout
16th October 2012, 08:33 AM
actually i forgot,
before i tipped the driver shaft, i was playing a Oban Kiyoshi 85g 3 wood shaft in the driver and it works just as well.
thats what gave me the idea of tipping the driver shaft, to get it lighter so i could 'get more distance' if/when needed......

aym
17th October 2012, 08:53 AM
Getting a heavier shaft might have helped too 60 vs 70

TheNuclearOne
17th October 2012, 06:45 PM
Try it again and add say, 12 grams extra of moveable weights just for a starting point.

Hatchman
18th October 2012, 12:08 AM
Is there a rule of thumb when adding additional weight to the head re: how much in the toe v heel?

razaar
18th October 2012, 09:47 AM
The recommendations I have read for golfers with your swing/shot shape is to go with a heavier weighted shaft in the same flex. Anything over 44.5 inches with a 460 head is too long for average golfers to consistently hit fairways. Especially with a slice as their normal shot.

Hatchman
18th October 2012, 06:27 PM
Thanks razaar

I've got another used RIP Phenom 60 in stiff coming which I will shorten to experiment with, and have also ordered a new UST AXIVCore Tour Black 85 in Stiff which I will shorten from the word go to compare.

How many spare shafts do I need to have before I'm a dirty ho :roll:

Hatchman
18th October 2012, 06:35 PM
I take it that figure of 44.5" is playing length with head? Any idea how long that would be raw for a R11s.

Is there a table some where that could tell me these numbers as I would like to start making up my own shafts with grips and tips.

Hatchman
20th October 2012, 09:06 PM
Played the Driver with the 3 wood shaft again today on my home course. No loss in distance and sadly no improvement on my fairways v dead drives ratio. What was weird thou was 4 out of the 6 dead dead drives I was aiming down the left side of fairway for my stock fade and hit small draws. I only hit one ugly cutty one. I'll normally throw 3 of them in a round at random.

Cant wait for the UST Black to arrive and see what happens with that.