PDA

View Full Version : Maybe there is hope for some of us yet ;)

jaster
17th October 2005, 10:08 PM
Pretty cool winning at 41 and joining the tour at 40 IMO. Well done Wes!!

Short wins first TOUR title in Las Vegas
Oct. 16, 2005

LAS VEGAS -- Wes Short Jr. had a simple strategy for the second playoff hole against Jim Furyk.

"I knew if I kept it on land, I was going to have a chance to win the tournament," Short said Sunday after capturing the Michelin Championship at Las Vegas on the second extra hole for his first PGA TOUR victory.

After Furyk's tee shot on the par-3 17th plopped into the lake, Short followed with a shot that stayed dry, although it rolled into a bunker.

Furyk, trying for his fourth Las Vegas victory, hit his third shot 12 feet from the hole, but Short nestled his shot from the sand within a foot of the cup and tapped in for a winning par.

"Right now, I don't have any emotions," said Short, who joined the TOUR last year as a 40-year old rookie. "I thought when I first won, I'd be jumping to the moon. But it's like it hasn't sunk in yet."

Short was coming off a tie for 13th at the Chrysler Classic of Greensboro, his best finish before this week. The Las Vegas victory was worth $720,000.

Furyk three-putted No. 18 for a bogey in regulation, and Short birdied the hole.

Both parred the first extra hole, then Furyk, who has won only one of six playoffs in his TOUR career, pulled his tee shot and the ball sailed into the water.

Short closed with a 6-under 66 and Furyk had a 65 for 21-under-266 totals for four rounds at the Tournament Players Club at Summerlin and one on the Tournament Players Club at The Canyons.

Furyk won the tournament in 1995, 1998 and 1999. He earned $432,000 for finishing second this time.

"I'm obviously disappointed. It was my tournament to win again, and I didn't get it done on the last hole," Furyk said, referring to the final hole of regulation.

He had another chance on the first playoff hole, but his birdie try from 12 feet stayed left of the cup.

Saying he enjoys playing at the TPC at Summerlin, Furyk said, "You can make a lot of birdies, but there are a lot of disasters waiting to happen."

Such as the lake at No. 17.

"I was definitely outside the plane and over the top with my swing. It never had a shot," Furyk said.

McMw
18th October 2005, 01:00 AM
look for Furyk to win this week!!! :wink: