PDA

View Full Version : Perth International

bergsey
15th October 2012, 01:14 AM
Anyone going along this week? Not sure whether to go on the weekend or get a last round in before champs ..Certainly not the field they had last time it was held there with Els, Goosen, Sergio etc

simmsy
15th October 2012, 01:19 AM
I've got a ticket for the Friday if anyone wants it.
A few beers or a decent donation to the lifeline money tin will get you the ticket.

I'm going on the Tuesday for a look around.

idgolfguy
15th October 2012, 01:20 AM
Not going this time around. Have a bit of work.

Greeny
15th October 2012, 04:57 PM
Get along Perth people. The more at the event the better for big tournament golf out west.
Jason Dufner's current form warrants a look (World #10) and despite being relatively unknown out here, Bo Van Pelt is one of the best on the PGA Tour with the driver and putter.

At the very least, make sure you watch on Foxtel. At home or at the pub.

Jeffo1123
15th October 2012, 05:02 PM
I think I'm gonna go along with the old man on Sunday.. Was hoping for a few more big names, but if the support comes now it can only get better in future years which is what we want!

Veefore
15th October 2012, 05:05 PM
Veeman, TWM & I are going on Friday.
Simmsy, how much for the ticket?

TourFit
15th October 2012, 07:36 PM
I just got offered a ticket in The International Club...$450 EACH if you please!

TOURNAMENT DETAILS
DATE: 18-21 October 2012
FORMAT: 72 Hole stroke play event
VENUE: Lake Karrinyup Country Club, Perth, Western Australia

The International Club is located within the Clubhouse adjacent to the 18th green. The air conditioned facility includes decorative theming, flat screen televisions, live scoring terminals and guest appearances. Guests will also have access to a premium viewing deck and bar located on the 18th green, for the exclusive use of International Club guests only.

One reserved table per day for up to ten (10) guests.
An open bar with assorted premium beverages.
2 hour gourmet 3 course luncheon served from 11-1pm or 1:30-3:30pm
Premium viewing deck and bar located on the 18th green
Complimentary Official Programmes and Complimentary Official Pairing Sheets delivered to the International Club daily

Golfnut
15th October 2012, 07:58 PM
All you can eat??

simmsy
15th October 2012, 08:26 PM
Veeman, TWM & I are going on Friday.
Simmsy, how much for the ticket?

It cost me $45 I think V.
I'd be happy if you put some money into our Lifeline tin down south.

Let me know.

Watty is also going on Friday in the rich ppl area. Maybe track him down for a beer.

hocko
15th October 2012, 08:35 PM
I have to work.

simmsy
15th October 2012, 09:05 PM
Kleenex?

idgolfguy
15th October 2012, 09:17 PM
450 for four days is great value.

I don't get paid till the 30th of this month so money is too tight.

Rather use it for Champs

hocko
15th October 2012, 09:19 PM
Kleenex?
No, sympathy works for me :)

Veefore
15th October 2012, 10:32 PM
It cost me $45 I think V.
I'd be happy if you put some money into our Lifeline tin down south.

Let me know.

Watty is also going on Friday in the rich ppl area. Maybe track him down for a beer.

However you like. I guess I'll need to collect the ticket so I can give it to you then.

TourFit
15th October 2012, 10:47 PM
450 for four days is great value.

WOULD'VE BEEN GOOD VALUE HAD IT BEEN FOR THE 4 DAYS!!

It was for one person/one day.

I have a members All Access ticket for Thurs now. And it was free. Now that IS good value!

BayBum
16th October 2012, 07:26 AM
You wouldn't want to be a non drinking vegetarian @ 450 a pop,would ya...

Whats the W.A version of jungle birdman & will he be making an appearance,'Fit ?

Mububban
16th October 2012, 11:45 AM
I'm seeing signs on the drive to work advising of changed traffic conditions from Thursday to Sunday. They taunt me as I go to work rather than going to watch the golf.

Who needs Lake Karrinyup, I'll be playing 9 holes at Royal Hamersley on Friday, so there!

Pieface
16th October 2012, 12:16 PM
Might have a free ticket lined up for Sat or Sunday to get along.

TourFit
16th October 2012, 12:48 PM
She's lettin' you go to golf? :shock:

Pieface
16th October 2012, 01:19 PM
Crazy I know!

TourFit
16th October 2012, 02:47 PM
Not to play though :roll:

simmsy
17th October 2012, 11:54 AM
Went along yesterday with Yoss.
Followed CS for 9 holes. Damn that guy swings smooth. So effortless.
He was hitting it well.

TourFit
17th October 2012, 12:14 PM
Did any of his balls hit Yoss on the chin?

Yossarian
17th October 2012, 12:28 PM
No but I got one of his playing partners ProV1x's. Schwartzel is seriously smooth. He also looks a bit like Jerry Seinfeld.

G.K
17th October 2012, 01:14 PM
I went down for a quick look late yesterday arvo. Didn't appear to be too many out on the course at that time and couldn't be arsed trekking around the course in the hope of seeing something, so just watched them flushing some balls at the range.

Still amazes me how effortless it is for most of them to get it out there. With the way the range is positioned they were hitting straight into a very stiff breeze too. After watching for about 30 minutes, I walked away disenchanted with my current golfing abilities.

Yossarian
17th October 2012, 01:26 PM
You were not the only one! I think there is a lot to be learned from observing their tempo.

G.K
17th October 2012, 01:39 PM
Of all the words that could be used to describe my swing, tempo is not one of them. Temper maybe?

idgolfguy
17th October 2012, 02:18 PM
Tempest is mine!

TourFit
17th October 2012, 06:07 PM
Temporary for me!

simmsy
17th October 2012, 07:20 PM
Got your outfit laid out for this Fit?

TourFit
17th October 2012, 10:23 PM
No.

BTW, I was speaking to someone in the know today and apparently the tournament powers that be told the club that the greens weren't to run any faster than 11', that they had to cut the rough down and then instructed quite an extensive tree pruning from the sides of some fairways!!!

$2 million and they're making it easier for them. I played there 10 days ago and the rough was longer then, and still it wasn't that much of a problem. These modern day pro's are pampered aren't they?

:roll:

TR66
17th October 2012, 10:51 PM
29 under when the big easy won the JW classic one year I think. Goose shot a 62 also. But my best memory was Marco Allen shooting 63 after a night on the piss. I think he lost to Brad King who would of been on the gas no doubt.

simmsy
18th October 2012, 01:02 AM
Yeah rough is very light. Also heard members say exactly that about the green speed fit.

bergsey
18th October 2012, 01:08 AM
not much wind on the forecast either, so much for 'the doctor'. these boys could carve it up!

TourFit
18th October 2012, 01:55 AM
these boys should carve it up!

Fixed

Mububban
18th October 2012, 10:52 AM
Partly cloudy. Light to moderate west to southwesterly winds. Maximum 23.
I drove past crowds heading into the golf on my way to work today and felt like crying out "Take me with you!!!" Beautiful day to play or spectate. Sigh.

Johnny Canuck
18th October 2012, 11:06 AM
Just found out my corporate ticket includes a 3 course lunch, open bar and access to thr premium viewing deck and bar by the 18th green. Ohhhhh yeah.

Yossarian
18th October 2012, 11:21 AM
How fast are lolly's greens atm fit?

Nuffie
18th October 2012, 11:50 AM
I think there is a lot to be learned from observing their tempo.

Yes there is. It's certainly a reality check, that hitting it a long way/consistently doesn't take a lot of effort. They swing smooth and just time the shot properly and repeatedly.

After watching the pros hit on The Vines range at the JW classic back in '09, I ventured out the following weekend with this in mind - and didn't try to hit one shot too hard.

AND won a Summer Cup. Too bad the memory banks of this lesson, only lasted 7 days as I haven't managed to reproduce since...

SO... are there any tickets left for Sunday to watch them hit balls again? This might be what I need to win WA Ozgolf Champs 8-).

Johnny Canuck
18th October 2012, 12:27 PM
I have slowed my tempo the last few rounds and have gained distance. Something in it.

Golfnut
18th October 2012, 01:08 PM
What's that motto? "Swing it easy, hit it hard"

Bruce Dickinson
18th October 2012, 01:25 PM
Just found out my corporate ticket includes a 3 course lunch, open bar and access to thr premium viewing deck and bar by the 18th green. Ohhhhh yeah.
what day you going JC? I've got the same deal, going tomorrow

Johnny Canuck
18th October 2012, 01:28 PM
Tomorrow. See you there!Any idea on dress code? My coworker that arranged it hasn't looked into it.

Bruce Dickinson
18th October 2012, 01:51 PM
Tomorrow. See you there!Any idea on dress code? My coworker that arranged it hasn't looked into it.
smart casual, no jeans. The lunch is in the clubhouse

Johnny Canuck
18th October 2012, 01:54 PM
Excellent. Cheers.

Mububban
18th October 2012, 02:21 PM
Leader (Emiliano Grillo (http://www.pga.org.au/individual-leader-page/250884/1043)) currently -6 through 16. Dufner and Chalmers -2 through 11. Scwartzel -1 thorugh 12. Top 37 at even or under par, 38-72 are over. Can't blame the weather today! Last is currently +10 through 15.

Me - sitting at my desk through 4 hours :mrgreen:

Nuffie
18th October 2012, 03:22 PM
Hopefully one of my former Cabramatta junior colleagues, Nathan Park makes the cut.

If he does I'll have to find a way to be at LK on Sunday.

sms316
18th October 2012, 03:35 PM
Currently T10 at 3 under is Knut Borsheim.

Hopefully this Knut can go all the way!

Jarro
18th October 2012, 04:02 PM
Greens running at 12 on the stimp too 8)

Jeffo1123
18th October 2012, 04:11 PM
In going with the dress code, is going on course to watch subject to normal dress code to play?

simmsy
18th October 2012, 04:39 PM
A bit more relaxed i believe mate. But i am not sure how denim would go. I just wore cargo shorts and polo the other day.

Yossarian
18th October 2012, 05:04 PM
There was a bloke is a tshirt on Tuesday.

Jarro
18th October 2012, 05:06 PM
Plenty of WAnkers out there in tshirts and cargo shorts today

sms316
18th October 2012, 05:14 PM
Plenty of WAnkers out there in tshirts and cargo shorts today
That's their formal gear.

Nuffie
18th October 2012, 08:19 PM
Yep I'm thinking about heading out there this Sun. Any other WAnkers thinking about it?

What time does the range warmup start?

Mububban
18th October 2012, 11:00 PM
Live streaming link here, watched a bit on my lunch break. UK feed judging by the ads

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/golf.html

TourFit
18th October 2012, 11:46 PM
Was there for most of the day today.

Followed some of Schwartzel in the morning for a couple of holes, and then hung around the range & putting green for awhile before the PM tee times. I largely followed the groups of Leaney / Howell / Van Pelt and Casey / Edfors / Parry in the afternoon. (In fact, I got my mug on the coverage when both groups hit off the 3rd). Casey just hit some absolute BOMBS off the tee. Was well past the bunker on 3, carried the bunker on 6 & 9 and also well carried the pots on 15. Awesome.

The greens were gettin' real slick in the arvo...and it was lucky the wind didn't get up more than it did.

BayBum
19th October 2012, 12:04 AM
If Casey plays the way he did today,for the next 3 rounds,he will run away with it.He looked sharp & hungry !

The greens on the tele looked a little bumpy to me ? Maybe it was just the traffic from thoughtout the day,as i was watching the closing stages of the 2 groups you were following.

Jeffo1123
19th October 2012, 01:26 AM
Hopefully the big names are still all up there for Sunday and gives an exciting finish - hopefully with Casey coming out on top and then that would give me some cash for champs!

Johnny Canuck
19th October 2012, 01:27 AM
What odds did you get him at?

Jeffo1123
19th October 2012, 01:33 AM
I went to deposit into an account when he was at $51, came back an hour and a half later and he was down to $34 so got him at that. Just $10 each way on him

Johnny Canuck
19th October 2012, 01:45 AM
a good bet. when i was looking at the field i actually thought he might have sneaky good value.

Jeffo1123
19th October 2012, 01:53 AM
Yeh with his current world ranking and injury problems it gave him much juicier odds.. But now getting back to full fitness it's his time to shine! (hopefully)

Nuffie
19th October 2012, 02:59 PM
'Popeye' must be having a bit of a chopfest. Casey has also dropped a few spots after the promising start yesterday.

I'm tipping Chalmers 'the best performing local of late' to be right in the mix, come the final day.

Yossarian
19th October 2012, 05:49 PM
It is weird watching pros play a course that I have, watching Dufner on 8 I remember skimming my ball across the lake.

TourFit
19th October 2012, 05:57 PM
It's also a good feeling to see a pro chop it on a hole you didn't :D... yesterday Edfors took double on 8 after leaving one in the left bunker, almost chunking his third and then two putting.

I made an up & down there last week with a much tighter pin placement and a very similar lie. (The difference is they do that maybe once a week or two and playing a lot more. I may make a good shot once a week)

Jarro
19th October 2012, 05:58 PM
It is weird watching pros play a course that I have, watching Dufner on 8 I remember skimming my ball across the lake.

I think it'd be great to see where their tee shots go compared to ours.

simmsy
19th October 2012, 05:59 PM
They really are playing some avg golf out there.

TourFit
19th October 2012, 06:03 PM
I think it'd be great to see where their tee shots go compared to ours.

What do you mean? Straight?

Jarro
19th October 2012, 06:06 PM
What do you mean? Straight?

Well yeah, i guess.

I was more referring to their distance off the tee.

TourFit
19th October 2012, 06:16 PM
Some of them are long (such as Casey). Some of them are not THAT much longer than me (Paz, O'Malley, Leaney).

The thing that gets me is the overall scoring ability out on course - the lack of mistakes, and their ability to get out of trouble when they make one. And mostly, the putting!

bergsey
19th October 2012, 08:09 PM
Surely Paz wouldn't hit it past you TF? all seriousness

simmsy
19th October 2012, 08:21 PM
Paz goes at a out 280yards.

I think fit would have himcovered, just???

rubin
19th October 2012, 08:25 PM
Paz goes at a out 280yards.

I think fit would have himcovered, just???

280yd is about 260ish m? About evens i reckon.

bergsey
19th October 2012, 09:01 PM
Stephen Leaney's avg is 277 yards according to PGA tour

BayBum
19th October 2012, 09:40 PM
I dont think Paz is even that long.Yesterday he hit driver on the par 5 with the middle fairway bunker (commentator said it was 260 to reach) & was well short of it,Casey then hit driver & flew the left edge of it.

It give us all hope :)

TourFit
19th October 2012, 09:47 PM
Yeah, I think I'd have Leaney, Paz & POM covered truth be told. But they do hit a LOT more of those fairway thingys! Especially POM, he is just a laser!!

Ashes
19th October 2012, 09:53 PM
Hitting fairways is overrated...

simmsy
19th October 2012, 10:05 PM
Closer to 250 but yeah pretty close. Maybe fit.

simmsy
19th October 2012, 10:09 PM
I reckon I would almost have nick ohern covered.

What would be funny is a pic of fit and Paz together

The 280 of Paz was when he was on the PGA. No doubt he would be less these days.

TourFit
20th October 2012, 12:22 AM
What would be funny is a pic of fit and Paz together

When I was there Thursday (and I wasn't gonna post this little story) he hit his tee shot on the downhill Par 5 8th into the right rough. It was about 100m behind Casey & Edfors who were halfway down the hill. Paz hit a scrubby little punch out of a fairly crappy lie to the bottom of the hill, about 90m or so from the front of the green. I ended up right there beside him and the caddy while they waited for the other two to hit. they'd waited for the green to clear and then pfaffed around some more. It was just me there by myself, no one within coo-ee. Paz was complaining that both Paul & Johan were being a bit slow as he waited, off to the side near the rope. Paz then mentioned to his caddie that it was a bit warm in the sun and that some shade would be nice etc etc. I chuckled and sort of blurted out that I reckoned he and I had the same fitness regimen & personal trainer...he suddenly looked up and then saw me and chuckled back that "Yep, maybe you're right!"

Ashes
20th October 2012, 01:03 AM
Lol

Johnny Canuck
20th October 2012, 09:11 AM
"and then I handed him a cheeseburger"

matty
20th October 2012, 09:13 AM
Do all the courses in WA have the reddish coloured sand?

Shadesy
20th October 2012, 09:25 AM
"and then I handed him a half eaten cheeseburger"

FTFY

Cosmopolite
21st October 2012, 12:51 PM
A bit more relaxed i believe mate. But i am not sure how denim would go. I just wore cargo shorts and polo the other day.

dont think you guys needed to worry about what to wear - look what Dufner's missus wore in the pic in the sunday times today

matty
21st October 2012, 12:57 PM
Serious question.

Ashes
21st October 2012, 01:04 PM
Do all the courses in WA have the reddish coloured sand? Nope. Plenty of white and grey sand at other courses.

bergsey
21st October 2012, 01:07 PM
Most of the natural sand for courses around there would be similar. Some courses truck theirs in from other parts? Eg Mt Lawley

petethepilot
21st October 2012, 02:11 PM
Anyone out there today, give some support to Steve Jones (-6 after 3 rounds). He was our (Ferrins, Iain, Haysey and me) 'Pro' in the Bowditch Charity Proam last year at Twin Waters on the Sunshine Coast.

steve hits it a mile and is a great guy to boot! Hope he goes well today. A great talent.

Pete

KristianJ
21st October 2012, 03:45 PM
Nice tee shot to start his round off with!!

Jay1
21st October 2012, 04:14 PM
Live streaming link here, watched a bit on my lunch break. UK feed judging by the ads

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/sport/golf.html

Thanks for the link but I can't get it to work, just says the feed will be up in a moment. Is there any trick to it?

3Puttpete
21st October 2012, 04:51 PM
Did anyone see the snake early on in the coverage? If I saw that on a course I'd want to be wearing brown pants

dc68
21st October 2012, 06:01 PM
Warren Smith is a dick.

irishamateur
21st October 2012, 07:10 PM
2 shot swing! gonna be a good finish now

BayBum
21st October 2012, 08:48 PM
Anyone out there today, give some support to Steve Jones (-6 after 3 rounds). He was our (Ferrins, Iain, Haysey and me) 'Pro' in the Bowditch Charity Proam last year at Twin Waters on the Sunshine Coast.

steve hits it a mile and is a great guy to boot! Hope he goes well today. A great talent.

Pete

I followed him yesterday Pete.We were lucky enough to have Jones put on a master class for the first 9 :) He does bomb it a mile with a piercing flat trajectory.Actually,he was the only guy i noticed that went really hard at the ball, all the rest were smooth effortless types.

G.K
21st October 2012, 08:58 PM
Did anyone see the snake early on in the coverage? If I saw that on a course I'd want to be wearing brown pants

I didn't see the one on the coverage but saw one in the flesh. Went right across the fairway on the 2nd just past the second fairway bunker. Was following the 5th pairing which included Andrew Johnston from England. Was funny hearing him and his caddy asking one of the officials about it. "WHat sort of snake is it? Is it venomous?" I think his caddy was a bit concerned that it might come back out and chase them down the fairway. LOL.

Jeffo1123
21st October 2012, 09:03 PM
dont think you guys needed to worry about what to wear - look what Dufner's missus wore in the pic in the sunday times today Came across her on the back 9 following Dufner round.. Was an enjoyable couple of holes!

G.K
21st October 2012, 09:06 PM

Pete

Was watching him at the range this morning and you're right, he does hit it a mile. Was flushing his 3 wood off the deck and had no problem clearing the fence at the end of the 250m range. It was also interesting to note how differently everyone approaches their warm up. Steve seemed very relaxed and was having a good chat and a laugh with the guys hitting either side of him. The other extreme was Michael Hendry who seemed very focused. Had the headphones in and wasn't talking to anyone. He didn't look too happy to be honest. Each to their own I guess.

TourFit
21st October 2012, 09:30 PM
Came across her back... Was an enjoyable couple of holes!

Worth the admission price then, I would have thught!

Jeffo1123
21st October 2012, 09:44 PM
Worth the admission price then, I would have thught! She didn't look too enthused as when I was near her the duf man had just dropped a shot and she was probably thinking that's less shopping she can do tomorrow......

Jeffo1123
21st October 2012, 09:45 PM
But all in all, definitely added to the value of my ticket!

Nuffie
21st October 2012, 10:16 PM
But all in all, definitely added to the value of my ticket! +1

Jarro
21st October 2012, 11:40 PM
Great tournament .... i really enjoyed the coverage on FoxSports as well 8)

That is a seriously nice looking course too. The green complexes look amazing :shock:

Jeffo1123
21st October 2012, 11:46 PM
I had never seen Karrinyup till today.. A lot of blind shots up hills and stuff and a lot of multiple tiered greens made some shots tough. Definitely noticed a difference in quality from early groups to the later groups.

BayBum
21st October 2012, 11:56 PM
Golf Digest ranking of 11th best in Australia for 2012 :shock:

What do the well traveled make of that ? Having been there & seen it first hand now,i don't think it would be near top in the country but i haven't played "the rest" so meh..

Are those lists a crock or what ?

Johnny Canuck
22nd October 2012, 12:05 AM
The list is a crock if LK rates 11.

It's great if you are a righty that likes to draw the ball.

petethepilot
22nd October 2012, 05:07 AM
I've played them all (except Ellerston and Lost Farm) and I think around 10th is an accurate number. I believe the following would be in front if similarly prepared.

RM
KH
NSW
Vic
Metro
Barny
Nat(moonah)
Royal Adel
Royal Sydney(maybe).

Yarra,
Commonwealth
Newcastle

pretty close behind!

IMHO

Pete

It certainly is the most able to hold a major tournament in WA. Lots of room and very challenging green complexes!

Pieface
22nd October 2012, 12:30 PM
I didn't see Dufners Mrs but there was some full on russianbride.com number wandering around that was turning a few heads.

I only got to see the morning groups on Saturday and no-one was setting the course on fire. Only saw a handful of birdies in the course of a few hours. Plenty of good par saves though!

TourFit
22nd October 2012, 01:15 PM
Casey's new girlfriend was pretty nice to look at...

Her name is Pollyanna Woodward, a model & TV presenter in the UK. Her cleavage was so big it should be a 'Class A' reserve. For some reason, I wasn't thinking of golf whilst watching Casey play, but motorboats!!!

BRRRRRRR BWRWRWRRRRRRRR

MegaWatty
22nd October 2012, 01:36 PM
She'd have a ball motor boating you!

Johnny Canuck
22nd October 2012, 02:04 PM
Boom!

Jarro
22nd October 2012, 02:11 PM
And here i was feeling a little sorry for him when i heard that his marriage had fallen apart :roll:

Bruce Dickinson
22nd October 2012, 02:12 PM
No wonder he didnt seemed stressed about shooting 40 coming home on Friday. Very chatty at a sponsors lunch.

Saw him hit the best 2 iron I've ever seen on Saturday from the second tee, a scud missile with a touch of draw that was pure awesomeness

TR66
22nd October 2012, 04:23 PM
Jeezus, how far did it skate down the hill Bruce?

Bruce Dickinson
22nd October 2012, 05:01 PM
Jeezus, how far did it skate down the hill Bruce?
I didn't see his second but on a 430 metre par 4 I'm guessing he wasn't coming in with much more than 7 or 8 iron. Worth the price of the $15 parking just for that tee shot

TourFit
22nd October 2012, 11:34 PM
For those that still believe in 2 irons, Bruce ;)

idgolfguy
22nd October 2012, 11:55 PM
I saw Casey hit his 2 iron 40m past the left bunker in Vines 15 at the last JW practice round. That's 290m including 30m of roll.

Overhead his caddy say to him - tomorrow we'll use the 4 iron so that it gets us to pitching wedge. 420m+ par 4 off the tips.

Ashes
23rd October 2012, 12:02 AM
Quote from Ashes Snr who went down to watch Chalmers on Sunday "They hit the ball pretty long but they still hook or slice em occasionally. I reckon I putt better than them too".

He plays off the same HC as I do. Now you know where my delusions of grandeur come from! :)

Veefore
23rd October 2012, 12:14 AM
For those that still believe in 2 irons, Bruce ;)

2 irons are awesome. I wouldn't be without mine.

Jeffo1123
23rd October 2012, 01:15 AM
Quote from Ashes Snr who went down to watch Chalmers on Sunday "They hit the ball pretty long but they still hook or slice em occasionally. I reckon I putt better than them too".He plays off the same HC as I do. Now you know where my delusions of grandeur come from! :) From watching some of the early groups on Sunday that were struggling, I felt like at times even I could take it up to them.. However I was well aware that this wouldn't really be the case...

Ashes
23rd October 2012, 09:10 AM
Haha. My old man wasn't being serious, it's just the way the comment came out that was amusing.

matty
28th October 2012, 11:11 AM
Local knowledge is always a bonus.