PDA

View Full Version : Shitty jobs you've had or seen

Webster
12th October 2012, 08:42 PM
I had the removalists on the job today - two terrific blokes who toiled hard and did a great job (yes I tipped them well). For no doubt bugger all. Heavy lifting, up and down stairs, hard on the back and tough on the wallet. I couldn't imagine a worse way to earn a quid.

What are some of the shittier jobs you've had or seen others do? For the record, I've had a few myself over the years, ie fruit pickier in 45 degree heat, timber stacker at a harware store, abattoir scumbag etc etc.

Hux
12th October 2012, 08:48 PM
Picked tomato's when I was a teenager in Bundaberg (kept me in rum). Packed doors and windows for GJames Glass when I was at Uni. Nothing hard about it but by crikeys it was mind numbing work.

Were the removalists Kiwi's? Last time we moved they were. I am not exactly a 6 stone weakling but these boys put me to shame. They were effortlessly lifting stuff I would have struggled with when I was a youngster.

oncewasagolfer
12th October 2012, 08:49 PM
I was an apprentice plumber to my brother when I was 16, I still shudder at the sight of a shovel. I also worked in a factory for 10 years the first day was 12 hours bundling book sections with only a ten minute break, needless to say I slept well that night.

BenM
12th October 2012, 08:51 PM
Grinding bumper bars all day in a chrome refinishing workshop. Dirty, noisy, hot, physical work, in a workshop full of poisonous chemicals, coming home covered in metal dust every day. That wasn't much fun!

Xray
12th October 2012, 08:57 PM
Apprentice Blacksmith in a foundry, middle of summer standing over a hot forge, not to mention the furnaces.

Ned
12th October 2012, 09:33 PM
Waste disposal business.

hocko
12th October 2012, 09:53 PM
Repairing garbage trucks!

Bruce Dickinson
12th October 2012, 09:59 PM
Used to do summers at waldecks production nursery. Would lay out 1000 plus 200mm pots on black plastic every day. Pay was $7.00 an hour

TheNuclearOne
12th October 2012, 10:00 PM
Seen

http://imageshack.us/a/img248/3340/acmefudgepacker173x300.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/248/acmefudgepacker173x300.jpg/)

Golfnut
12th October 2012, 10:23 PM
Processed live crayfish for export for a couple of seasons ....not overly shitty but man the hours were all over the place. Basically did on average 3 x 4-5hr shifts in any given day/night. You get to the point where night doesn't mean sleep time and sleep becomes that bit you close your eyes for between shifts. And if you were lucky enough to get the airport run, you basically had no shut eye between shifts. I learnt what sleep deprevation was very quickly.

TheTrueReview
12th October 2012, 10:55 PM
10 Worst Jobs in the World (http://www.smashinglists.com/10-worst-jobs-in-the-world/)

markTHEblake
12th October 2012, 11:38 PM
I worked in the Water & Sewerage Dept as a cost clerk for my first job at maroochy council. The condition of the time sheet book for the live sewer maintenance gang made me seriously want to wear rubber gloves and a mask when handling it. (those guys got paid double time for 4-6 hours a day for working knee deep in it) It was a very different appearance from the nice white clean timebook that came from the water gang.

Thats about as shitty a job I ever had

Cosmopolite
12th October 2012, 11:47 PM
sewing magazines by hand to make into books. I lasted about 4 weeks.

horrible horrible job

PeteyD
13th October 2012, 12:20 AM
Baldrick (Tony Robinson) did a great series on the worst jobs in history. Being a purpler seemed about the worst.

BrettM
13th October 2012, 06:56 AM
Spent 3 months picking bananas when I finished high school in Tully before I started my apprenticeship. Nothing like humping a 40kg bunch in pouring rain, through mud across a few rows to the trailer. Even better when you are halfway across and find out there is a snake inside the bag which covers the bunch.

Peter
13th October 2012, 10:29 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1TcJKFB0sY

"Money, fame, lettuce".

Bruce
13th October 2012, 12:54 PM
Removing lobsters from Jane Mansfield's arse.

BayBum
13th October 2012, 01:16 PM
Have done the whole cleaning out raw sewage pipes.When your face is a couple of feet from the stuff and not to mention everything else you could imagine people shove down toilets,you soon realise that gloves are not a necessity...

Haystacks
13th October 2012, 03:12 PM
Removing lobsters from Jane Mansfield's arse.

Lovely girl...sweet sweet girl.

Basically, she suffered from, er, what was known in-, in the medical trade as 'lobsters-up-the-arsehole'

Jarro
13th October 2012, 07:40 PM
Guys that drive the toilet truck at work.

I've seen one guy cop the whole contents of the forward crapper in a 747 while trying to fix a blocked outlet.

He had white overalls on too :D

TheNuclearOne
13th October 2012, 11:30 PM
Spent 3 months picking bananas when I finished high school in Tully before I started my apprenticeship. Nothing like humping a 40kg bunch in pouring rain, through mud across a few rows to the trailer. Even better when you are halfway across and find out there is a snake inside the bag which covers the bunch.

You reminded me.

A mate used to tordon many years ago. He was pretty desperate for work at the time. He'd be gone for the week, they'd camp out in the scrub they were working. Can't remember how it came about, but it was winter and he ended up almost touching a great big semi hibernating Brown in a hollow tree stump. Maybe he knocked the tree down and it was hollow. Anyway he returned that Friday, told me about it and never went again.

Moe Norman
14th October 2012, 10:58 PM
I've had a couple.

I used to clean the inside of toxic freight carriages when I was in high school. Used to kit up in a fully sealed rubber suit, spray chemicals all over the place then scrub with a big 3 foot wide wire brush. Then get the high powered water cleaner on to rinse them off. Used to do it over summer in Ipswich in 40+ degree heat, and no shit, there would be a couple of inches of sweat at the bottom of the rubber boots after a 4 hour shift.

Took 3 days to get your piss to go clear again.

Other than that, hay carting and cotton chipping were hard summers - but good times with mates and beers in the evenings.

Haystacks
16th October 2012, 12:18 PM
Window cleaner for Joan Crawford

IanO
16th October 2012, 12:42 PM
At 14/15 I worked on a chicken farm shovelling the liquid, stinking, magot infested crap out from under the cages, loading it into a wheel barrow then pushing it 200m out into a paddock and dumping it. Did it for 4 hours every saturday and Sunday for the princely sum of $10 a day (this was in 1976).