PDA

View Full Version : Short game lessons

Jono
12th October 2012, 11:44 AM
My full swing is coming along OK and I have some directional control now (ie I don't go 50m left :lol: ). However, I still suck from 30m and in, especially on quick undulating greens. Can't seem to control the spin on my pitch/chip shots and my bunker play, especially when there is a lot of sand (or soft sand) is very sucky. I either go right under the ball or thin it across the green.

Short putts are OK but anything outside 20 feet are shaky.

After some thought, I have commited myself to a series of short game lessons.

Fingers crossed I come out the other end a better player.

Are there any other ozgolfers who struggled with the short game that took specific short game lessons? What was your experience/improvement like?

Lucasto23
12th October 2012, 01:01 PM
Jono, it will be money well spent. My advice is have a stock pitch shot that runs out, don't focus on the skidding checker or anything like that as you will always be worrying about how much spin your gonna apply. Once you are 100% confident in the stock shot and can get it to 10ft every time you then can focus on the spin side of things. Bunker play should be the same, just get it out first. Once you have confidence again try getting it close. Common sense i know but well worth hearing

Daves
12th October 2012, 03:36 PM
Jono, I bought myself a little chipping net that I can use in the front yard. I just practice chipping into it, and when I have a bit of time, I play chipping games etc. Has really helped improve my ball contact and my short game to the extent that I expect to get up an down most times now. I got mine from Squizzys in a sale for about $25 from memory.

popper81
12th October 2012, 04:20 PM
Jono,

I have the same net Dave mentioned... It is good for mixing your training.

I think my short game is ok, well I get up and down more than I don't ( be a lot more if holes a few putts). I think a lesson is a good idea. Once you have the basic fundamentals correct, practice and then really challenge yourself. Mentally and in practice..... Try and hole it, or get it dead.. Practice from horrible places.... I sometimes try and land flop shots in my wheelie bin, from beside it.... why? because it is fun!!! I practice hitting punch hook or cut three irons @ the range as well, and I gurantee those two shots have saved me more shots than hitting 7 iron to 135m all day.

The short game is about being creative.... Have a stock shot, and get it down pat... But know when putter from the fringe is a better option or, or bump and run 7 iron from 40m, instead of the perfectly executed wedge, is the better play.

TheNuclearOne
12th October 2012, 04:59 PM
The short game is about being creative.... Have a stock shot, and get it down pat... But know when putter from the fringe is a better option or, or bump and run 7 iron from 40m, instead of the perfectly executed wedge, is the better play.

Great stuff Popper.

Hatchman
12th October 2012, 08:27 PM
Having a lesson or two would be a good start to help with the technique side.
Form then on it's practice, practice, practice to develop distance control.

I got myself some old clubs and cut the heads off to give me something to aim at.
I would then space them out at roughly 5m 10m 15m and 20m.
To warm up and get some feel I would start by trying to chip an eight iron to the 5m marker. I would then try and chip the next one a foot further then the last chip until I got out to the 20m marker. I would then repeat but in reverse order.
I would then repeat the same drill with the wedge and then the sand iron.

I would repeat this a few times with the object of trying to have as many hits as possible by getting the ball just further before I reached the 20m marker and had to work back.

To finish off I would mix it up by selecting different the different irons and picking one of the targets and chip/pitch to that point and keep mixing it up.

My shag bag held about 120 balls and I would often hit the full bag two or 3 times.

Further sessions you could stretch the length out to a half PW or sand iron.

My short game improved out of site in a short time.

For every session I spent on the practice fairway working on my swing hitting full shots I would spend 3 on my chipping/pitching.

razaar
12th October 2012, 08:45 PM
Jono
All players with good short games play from shut to open in chipping and pitching. The club face is shut on the takeaway, returns square at impact and opens past impact. If you think of the club face looking at the ball for as long as possible and looking at the target past impact you won't be too far wrong. The long game is an extension of this action with wrist work post impact controlling ball flight.

Jono
12th October 2012, 09:45 PM
Thanks for the tips guys.

I played with a pro this week who thought my address position for chips and pitch shots needs working on. I have my hands to far ahead of the ball and I stand way open to compensate. The ball comes out low and sometimes checks if I hit it right and runs on if I don't. He thought it might be better to stand more neutral and let the clubhead release instead of holding it off.

My lag putting is what plagues me the most. My green reading sucks and I can't seem to get the length right either.

I'll see how the lessons go and I'll have to devote some time to regular short game practice.

mrbluu
12th October 2012, 11:45 PM
I have no idea about how many times have I've posted this but it made a lot of sense to me and really helped my short game, which has helped my long game.

Set up pretty square, basically keep your the angle in the right wrist consistent and then turn your body and hit slightly down on the ball.

Good luck. That and I brought 4 new wedges!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58rDltZSvA

markTHEblake
12th October 2012, 11:50 PM
I found it easier to hit the short pitches and chips by hitting deliberatly fat. Probably works best l with normal bounce sand iron and grass that doesnt cause it to dig in. I dunno why but I just get heaps of control and spin, and must be a huge margin of error cos it really doesnt matter how fat you hit it, the club just slides under the ball perfectly.

Jono
15th October 2012, 09:29 AM
Shot 40 points yesterday with pretty good short game. Ball striking was way off but managed to get up and down few times and holed two birdie putts.

I concentrated on not having my hands so far forward with chip/pitch shots and standing more square to the target and letting the clubhead release more. I also tried to shallow out the path to the ball, concentrating on hitting the bottom of the ball. The ball came out a bit higher and softer, making it much easier to control.

Now if I can combine good ball striking AND good short game ... :roll: :lol:

Mububban
15th October 2012, 03:33 PM
Due to a lack of time and money for range balls, I tend to do free practise on the putting and chipping area near me, and I'm really noticing the benefits. I'm becoming a more consistent version of crap rather than a wildly inconsistent sort of crap :mrgreen:

Iain
15th October 2012, 06:41 PM
I had a playing lesson with Marty yesterday, we concentrated on short game. He gave me some good tools to utilise.

Jarro
15th October 2012, 06:55 PM
I had a playing lesson with Marty yesterday, we concentrated on short game. He gave me some good tools to utilise.

So .................

virge666
15th October 2012, 08:49 PM
Now if I can combine good ball striking AND good short game ... :roll: :lol:

For the most part - your short game is going to be a smaller version of your long game. The trouble is that timing is more important with shortgame than the long game.

It usually highlights weaknesses in your long game. If you have an issue with the hooks, you are alsways going to struggle with your short game, if you hit a lot of fades, it usually favours well with your short game. Just dueto face angles...

Once you get your distance control with pitching under some control, then the rest will flow pretty quickly.

It all comes down to contact and having a system... don't care what system, as long as it is A system. The idea that you can "feel" the distances is a total fallacy without a lot of practice.

Good luck mate - happy to help if you so desire. Mona Vale has 3 fantastic short game areas and greens that stimp at 12.

idgolfguy
15th October 2012, 09:14 PM
Never made the link between hooks and short game, Virge.

My short game has gone south somewhat and at the same time have started hooking irons and driver.

The timing and distance (80 and 100 m for the Sand and gap wedge respectively is great. However, transferring the swing to the irons and woods is easier said than done.

I've lost confidence in the 10-60m shots and I think need more focused practise.

TheTrueReview
15th October 2012, 10:58 PM
I have no idea about how many times have I've posted this but it made a lot of sense to me and really helped my short game, which has helped my long game.

Set up pretty square, basically keep your the angle in the right wrist consistent and then turn your body and hit slightly down on the ball.

Good luck. That and I brought 4 new wedges!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D58rDltZSvA

Great post MB. My teaching pro had me doing this one armed drill earlier in the year & I'd forgotten all about it. Just what the doctor ordered for this chipping numpty. :)

virge666
16th October 2012, 08:58 AM
Foley has a great system that I use for pitching and chipping.

like the clock drill - but works on both sides

cracking solution to a major problem.

idgolfguy
16th October 2012, 09:22 AM
Link or summary?

virge666
16th October 2012, 10:53 AM
Link or summary?

Sorry mate - it was on his DVD.

idgolfguy
16th October 2012, 11:26 AM
Will look on his website.
Is the DVD value for money?

Jono
16th October 2012, 03:19 PM
For the most part - your short game is going to be a smaller version of your long game. The trouble is that timing is more important with shortgame than the long game.

It usually highlights weaknesses in your long game. If you have an issue with the hooks, you are alsways going to struggle with your short game, if you hit a lot of fades, it usually favours well with your short game. Just dueto face angles...

Once you get your distance control with pitching under some control, then the rest will flow pretty quickly.

It all comes down to contact and having a system... don't care what system, as long as it is A system. The idea that you can "feel" the distances is a total fallacy without a lot of practice.

Good luck mate - happy to help if you so desire. Mona Vale has 3 fantastic short game areas and greens that stimp at 12.

I partially agree with what you say, but my problem has been blocking with hands way forward with the short game where with the full swing, it's always been problems with flipping it left. One way to look at it is that because I'm always fighting the flip with the long game, I'm doing the same thing with my short game and blocking it.

In the past, I've had some success with Pelz short game system from 50m to 90m. My main problem is 50m and in, especially those short chips around the greens where you really expect to get down in 2. I was struggling to get down in 3. Absolutely no control with the blocking swing but now I feel like I have some control letting the clubhead release.

I'll keep on practising and have some lessons and see how I go.

tommyg
16th October 2012, 06:28 PM
Isnt the best way to improve your short game just to buy a new putter to try and swanky new set of wedges?

virge666
16th October 2012, 06:40 PM

It is just technique mate.

the club works around your body... the hands do SFA, unless you are doing something special shot.

Next time we get together - I can sort this out real quick... your hands are good enough through impact - just hold teh clubface open if you get scared... the ball just comes out higher and spins more.

mrbluu
16th October 2012, 06:40 PM
I partially agree with what you say, but my problem has been blocking with hands way forward with the short game where with the full swing, it's always been problems with flipping it left. One way to look at it is that because I'm always fighting the flip with the long game, I'm doing the same thing with my short game and blocking it.

In the past, I've had some success with Pelz short game system from 50m to 90m. My main problem is 50m and in, especially those short chips around the greens where you really expect to get down in 2. I was struggling to get down in 3. Absolutely no control with the blocking swing but now I feel like I have some control letting the clubhead release.

Jono, if Foley can help me then he can certain help you. About 7years ago I developed the dreaded socket rockets for about 2years, which eventually eroded my short game nerves and feel in my hands. I was ok on bump and run shots but couldn't hit a pitch or flop shot to save my life. Foley teaches to keep everything pretty neutral and the hands to be quiet and make a good turn. Anyway, good luck!!!

Isnt the best way to improve your short game just to buy a new putter to try and swanky new set of wedges?

and a new 3 wood and/or carry bag wouldn't hurt either.

Lobsta
17th October 2012, 12:09 AM
The drill that my pro gave me regarding chipping that helped me immediately was to hold an alignment stick in your grip as an extension of your club, so that it extends up past your hip on your left side. It should stay close to your side through the shot.

If you break your wrists on takeaway the alignment stick will approach the horizontal. If you break them on the follow through, you'll smack yourself in the side. Turned my chips from wristy failures to less wristy failures.

Now I just have my LOFT to blame, not poor technique.

Jono
17th October 2012, 08:58 AM
Lobsta, that's the kind of drill I was doing too. Then I saw Mickelson's "hinge and hold" method which made me exaggerate the "hold" more. End results were low blocks and I opened my stance right up to compensate.

Now I've started releasing the clubhead more with a squarer stance, the ball seems to come out higher with more control.

mrbluu
17th October 2012, 09:20 AM
Jono I've found that using the foley system, if you can get the club back to the same spot and you have maintained a consistent angle in your right wrist, then you will be more consistent with the short game. I've found this has flowed onto my long game as well. This right hand/wrist angle is the same theory that Greg Norman was pitching years ago with the training aid "the Secret".

mrbluu
17th October 2012, 09:29 AM
sorry double post

Stuartd147
17th October 2012, 09:51 AM
Jono, with the utmost respect...you spend 95% of your time practising to hit a 6* driver off a 5" tee with a + 6* AoA out 300m (why not hit a 9.5* off a 1.5" tee???), it is no wonder that you will struggle to hit almost the opposite for nearly every other shot, especially nice short approach shots. Lobsta'a drill is a great practise method. Let's go for a drive and visit Virge and take him up on his offer....stu :-)

Jono
17th October 2012, 01:42 PM
are you saying that if I use a 9.5 degree driver, my short game will improve?

BTW, 5" tees are illegal.

idgolfguy
17th October 2012, 02:20 PM
The bit about the visiting Virge rings true.

Is there a limit to tee size? Didn't know that.

Peppas
17th October 2012, 02:48 PM
Jono I think I was having the same short game problem as you... mine was going too far inside on takeaway and then blocking the ball out to the left with no body release, which produced the dreaded S word now and then. My pro has now got me doing what feels like the opposite, but is actually going back square...

Jono
17th October 2012, 02:51 PM
Is there a limit to tee size? Didn't know that.

4 inches

Stuartd147
17th October 2012, 09:14 PM
are you saying that if I use a 9.5 degree driver, my short game will improve?

BTW, 5" tees are illegal.

Kinda sort-of...what I am saying is that the difference in your angle of attack of your driver vs wedge could be as high as 8-10* (two totally different swings) whereas the average pro is around 3.7*(driver -1.3* and wedge -5*)....if you were to hit a higher lofted driver with a more sweeping or negative AoA then you may find it easier to get a good short iron swing happening....make sense??

Ferrins
6th July 2013, 06:59 AM
I have got up and down once in the first half of this year so if I can make two up and downs in the second half then that will be a 100% improvement.

popper81
6th July 2013, 08:04 AM
I have got up and down once in the first half of this year so if I can make two up and downs in the second half then that will be a 100% improvement.

I put on a up & down clinic for the boys yesterday...

Ferrins
1st September 2013, 09:20 AM
Yesterday I made my second up and down for the year. It wasn't in a comp though:(

Ferrins
20th September 2016, 06:33 PM
I make more up and downs from >100 than <100.
Golf sucks!

mrbluu
20th September 2016, 06:34 PM
I make more up and downs from >100 than <100.
Golf sucks!
Get a lesson.

Ferrins
20th September 2016, 06:40 PM
Chip and pitch fine with just my right hand.

Ferrins
20th September 2016, 06:40 PM
I will give that Foley system a go.

3Puttpete
20th September 2016, 06:46 PM
Chip and pitch fine with just my right hand.

There is/was a bloke on the European tour who plays his bunker shots like this

Ferrins
20th September 2016, 06:48 PM
I have seen him and I don't want to play like that. people will think I'm weird.😉

3Puttpete
20th September 2016, 06:58 PM
Can't have that!

Hard_Pan
20th September 2016, 09:04 PM
+1 all of the above.

Whenever I get chipping yips (which for me is usually the fear of a fat), I leave my wedges in the bag and just chip with the longest club that will do the job at hand, using a putting stroke. Fats instantly eliminated. The only miss I would have now is a thin but with a putting stroke the distance difference for me is negligible. Then, when my confidence begins to return, I slowly chip with shorter and shorter clubs until I'm confident with the wedges again.

Hatchman
20th September 2016, 10:01 PM
+1 all of the above.

Whenever I get chipping yips (which for me is usually the fear of a fat), I leave my wedges in the bag and just chip with the longest club that will do the job at hand, using a putting stroke. Fats instantly eliminated. The only miss I would have now is a thin but with a putting stroke the distance difference for me is negligible. Then, when my confidence begins to return, I slowly chip with shorter and shorter clubs until I'm confident with the wedges again.

[emoji15] what are thinking about when chipping [emoji848]?

Hard_Pan
20th September 2016, 10:15 PM
[emoji15] what are thinking about when chipping [emoji848]? Usually, about where to land the ball but when I chunk it once, I can't not think about chunking it again and confidence goes south big time.

Hatchman
20th September 2016, 10:24 PM
Wasn't necessarily a golf question ��

Hard_Pan
20th September 2016, 10:26 PM
Wasn't necessarily a golf question ��

:lol:

Ferrins
14th September 2019, 07:13 AM
Revisiting this thread and will apply and practice the pearls of wisdom offered. Currently averaging over 2.5 shots after every short game approach. Still making more up and downs from >100m than <100m.

NewyMitch
16th September 2019, 08:18 PM
This is an area I really struggle with. I've been doing a couple of things lately that seem to be helping.

Inside 100m I've given up playing full shots. Playing my pitch gap or sand wedge at no more than 3/4 swings has made my misses more manageable.

For the stuff around the greens I've been trying to take away wider so my overall chipping swing is shallower. This seems to help with the duffs but doesn't eliminate them. I'm trying to get used to the feeling of using the bounce as I've always tried to come down on the back of the ball too much.

If the above sounds like baloney please point me in the right direction. I lose at least 4-5 shots a round to my short game.

mrbluu
16th September 2019, 08:41 PM
This is an area I really struggle with. I've been doing a couple of things lately that seem to be helping.

Inside 100m I've given up playing full shots. Playing my pitch gap or sand wedge at no more than 3/4 swings has made my misses more manageable.

For the stuff around the greens I've been trying to take away wider so my overall chipping swing is shallower. This seems to help with the duffs but doesn't eliminate them. I'm trying to get used to the feeling of using the bounce as I've always tried to come down on the back of the ball too much.

If the above sounds like baloney please point me in the right direction. I lose at least 4-5 shots a round to my short game.U thought of going to see a coach?

NewyMitch
16th September 2019, 09:31 PM
I certainly have. I'm flat out finding time to play golf though