PDA

View Full Version : Putters, blade or mallet fast/slow greens

live4golf
10th October 2012, 07:41 PM
I have been putting OK until today, the greens are well into their preparation for Champs and are getting really slick. I use a Kombi normally, but I find on faster greens the distance control is a little off. Others see this sort of thing?

Does anyone on here have a couple of putters, 1 for fast greens, 1 for slow greens?

What putter do you think is better for fast greens? - longer or shorter, blade or mallet, heavy or lighter?

Looking at where I leak most of my shots, it is on the greens and I think I need to be a smarter putter.

davepuppies
10th October 2012, 07:45 PM
Yep, I found the heel shafted #9 or del mar the best for slick greens.......

I found the kombi to be a bit of a blunt instrument with distance control.....

Lucasto23
10th October 2012, 07:49 PM
Lighter putters for fast greens the heavy putters for slow greens some people have gone with. I reckon find a putter you are comfortable on both types of greens

Jarro
10th October 2012, 07:53 PM
I went with the Corza Ghost mallet because i felt it helped me a bit more on our grainy greens

Courty
10th October 2012, 07:55 PM
Lighter putters for fast greens the heavy putters for slow greens some people have gone with.

This (if you're going to alternate your putters). I personally stick with the one regardless of the green speed. I have enough trouble keeping my stroke in shape with messing with multiple putters :roll:.

BenM
10th October 2012, 08:19 PM
Yeah, IAWC.

I'm still using a mallet style putter and have really struggled the last couple of weeks since the greens have quickened up - definitely less feel for distance with it. But I'm not keen to use a different one just because of that. Yet. Ask me again when I start missing more of the 3-6 footers coming back!!!

BayBum
10th October 2012, 08:22 PM
I would actually prefer a heavier putter on fast greens but i only ever use one putter.Have only used 2 in my 6 or 7 years playing.

Stick with one putter and go old school - putt off the toe when you have slippery down hill sliders.

Daves
10th October 2012, 09:00 PM
Using a Kombi here and no real issues with long putts, other than I have too many of them. Our greens are pretty slow on average though, but play other courses and have not found the Kombi a problem. I very much hand control over to my lead hand in my putting stroke, the trailing hand is mostly there as ballast/support, and for the ride.

razaar
10th October 2012, 09:46 PM
Ball position will influence pace. More forward than normal on slow greens. A downward strike on slow grainy greens is not conducive to good putting. Another advocate for one putter - been there and it's not a nice place.

mrbluu
10th October 2012, 11:04 PM
Time to buy more putters....You can never have enough!!!!

number9
11th October 2012, 07:33 AM
This (if you're going to alternate your putters). I personally stick with the one regardless of the green speed. I have enough trouble keeping my stroke in shape with messing with multiple putters :roll:.

+1
just find the reliable one, if you putt like crap, its not the new putters fault!

dc68
11th October 2012, 08:21 AM
Only have anser style putters much the same weight I hate mallets, I used to love my old honma blade but the anser style is mucho bettero!!!

number9
11th October 2012, 09:17 AM
Only have anser style putters much the same weight I hate mallets, I used to love my old honma blade but the anser style is mucho bettero!!! +1

kiwitown
11th October 2012, 10:02 AM
Stick with one putter and go old school - putt off the toe when you have slippery down hill sliders.[/QUOTE]

I agree put of the toe or go to a lighter grip pressure. swapping putters just leads to you spending more cash on more putters...HA!! ( i should know i have 5 of the stupid things)!

Johnny Canuck
11th October 2012, 10:28 AM
One putter is the go.

IanO
11th October 2012, 11:14 AM
One putter is the go. I have tried lighter on faster and heavy on slow, but in the end I find that I just need to use the one putter all the time and concentrate on distance control for different speed greens. (I have 14 putters all up but have only used one of them for the past 12 months)

number9
11th October 2012, 12:07 PM
One putter is the go. I have tried lighter on faster and heavy on slow, but in the end I find that I just need to use the one putter all the time and concentrate on distance control for different speed greens. (I have 14 putters all up but have only used one of them for the past 12 months)Care to name a few? :)

live4golf
11th October 2012, 12:36 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have done the only logical thing and got a new putter...there is nothing wrong with any of mine, I am just having pace issues :) - Got a Whitlam Flag putter.

I have never tried putting off the toe on downhill, or further forward for slower greens, must try that.

mrbluu
11th October 2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions, I have done the only logical thing and got a new putter...

LIKE!!!

mackie
11th October 2012, 02:12 PM
i use 1 putter for both, but i change the weights in my button back to suit speed of the greens.
Standard for me is with the 15g weights but if i know the greens will be super fast ie in 1 month ill put in the heavier weights 20g
so for me Faster greens = Heavier putter, slower greens = lighter putter :) but same putter

number9
11th October 2012, 02:26 PM
Perfect compromise :)

IanO
11th October 2012, 03:30 PM
Care to name a few? :)

Hmmm
Scotty Fastback
Scotty Caliente
Scotty Newport 2
Scotty Platinum Pro Newport mid-slant
Cleveland Classic blade
Ping Anser
Boomerang
Tommy Amour Broomstick (never used)
several other mallet, anser and blade style putters from cheaper manufacturers that I liked the feel of at the time or were such a cheap price that I bought them anyway :oops: