PDA

View Full Version : What do you think Tiger would score around your course ?

Jarro
16th October 2005, 08:34 AM
i've often wondered what a top line PGA Tour pro would shoot around a local course.

Scott Hend is a member at my club, and by all accounts, he makes a lot of the longer holes look like par 3's .... but nobody has ever told me he's shot the lights out whenever he's come back to play here.

now somebody like Tiger would be a different proposition, considering he's #1 and all... it's highly likely he'd probably go around my course in around 10 under i'd think :roll: prodigeous length and a deadly short game would make most of our courses a joke for him.

what do you think he'd shoot at your course :?:

BrisVegas
16th October 2005, 08:36 AM
8 under from the tips. If he has a good wedge day.

Fishman Dan
16th October 2005, 09:04 AM
A few ducks, a Kooka or two, and perhaps he could spear the water-dragons down in the creek on the 16th.

A quality golfer should destroy Gordon. Yesterday a 5 marker had 43 pts!

Grunt
16th October 2005, 09:05 AM
Could be anything at my home they could drive one of the par 5's if they were one of the bigger hitters, and there are some par 4's well in range.

Jarro
16th October 2005, 10:57 AM
wouldn't you just like to watch them play your course though ..... just to see the damage they would inflict 8)

AndyP
16th October 2005, 11:04 AM
Tiger would destroy Nambour. Just not enough length to test him.
A few genuine eagle chances and birdies galore.

Jarro
16th October 2005, 11:06 AM
.. do you reckon he'd have a crack at the first :wink: :lol:

AndyP
16th October 2005, 11:26 AM
.. do you reckon he'd have a crack at the first :wink: :lol:
1st, 7th in 2, 9th, 11th in 2, 13th, 15th, maybe even 16th.

markTHEblake
16th October 2005, 01:08 PM
I doubt he would shoot much better than the best scores already seen around your track, assuming you have a lot of pro's and good amateurs playing there, unless he plays like 20 rounds there.

The best golfers in the world dont shoot lower scores than everyone else, they just shoot lower more often - and make it look a lot easier.

Jarro
16th October 2005, 01:45 PM
you've gotta be kidding me Blakey, do you honestly believe what you just said :?

BrisWesty
16th October 2005, 04:39 PM
Holes in danger from Tiger at Caboolture? 1-18.
All par 5s (3, 9, 15, 17) in 2.
Par 4s in danger: 5 (with a draw), 6 (over the hill and downhill right to left), 7 (about 330m), 11 (about 330m).
Probably a 60-62 (9-11 under) depending on how it is set up.

Jarro
16th October 2005, 04:44 PM
BrisWesty, i'd love to see him nail driver over the trees on the 17th 8)

you reckon he'd get there in 2 easily if he got a decent tee shot away.

BrisWesty
16th October 2005, 04:53 PM
Jarro, Ian Davis (former Caboolture pro) apparently used to play the 17th with Driver, 6 iron.
Some of our low markers hit most of the Par 5s in 2. I know of one who has hit the 6th in 1 (370m gentle dogleg but last 150m runs downhill)

shazza_rs
16th October 2005, 05:57 PM
6 under maybe, bit better if the driver is accurate and the short stick is working for him.

A lot of the par 4's aren't that long, but they aren't that straight either.

Middle Ridge is pretty tough. Especially since they keep planting more freaking trees! :lol:

Keza_G
16th October 2005, 06:33 PM
Best Pro score at Riverlakes is 10 under 60.....

I reckon Tiger would come close to that but if the wind was up, he'd be lucky....

Besides Tiger can't play golf on the best courses in Australia what makes you think he could play great at our others.....

He aint got nothin' :wink: :wink:

Cheers

Keza

Flowergirl
16th October 2005, 09:59 PM
It was scary enough playing my course with Spiersy................Tiger.....nup........he'd destroy it. :D

markTHEblake
17th October 2005, 07:42 AM
you've gotta be kidding me Blakey, do you honestly believe what you just said :?

yes. now why do you think its wrong?

BrisVegas
17th October 2005, 08:34 AM
In Tiger's book, it mentions that his USGA handicap index is around +8. Bearing in mind, that the US system tends to be 1-2 strokes easier than Australia, let's say Tiger would be off +6. He should, on average, shoot 6 under the CCR of any course, in theory.

I agree with blakey though, he's not likely to set course records every time he goes out, but he should be pretty consistently under par on championship courses.

Putting Tiger on easier courses like the average members course, doesn't necessarily mean he'd shoot 10 under. I think he'd probably still shoot around 6 under. But, I think top amateurs and average pro's would be able to shoot close to the numbers that Tiger posts on regular courses.

Eag's
17th October 2005, 10:07 AM
He would go close to breaking 60 at Wantima :)
With only 2 par 5's both under 500m and a couple of par 4's he could drive.
The mind bogles :shock:

Courty
17th October 2005, 10:32 AM
As a bit of a guide, in the last 2 Von Nida events at Cairns the following scores have been shot:

Peter Senior - 63
Kim Felton (Winner '04) - 62 (and missed several makeable putts :shock: )
Dave Christie (winner '05) - 61

Cairns is a par 72 with an ACR of 71. So if these guys on the Von Nida tour can carve it up, you would logically expect a PGA calibre player to go under 60. However, these PGA types may struggle with the condition of a regular member-based course. They would be used to near-perfect fairways & greens. But if they played on one of these courses (well, Cairns at least :roll: ) they will have to put up with bare lies/ inconsistent greens/ bunkers with no sand and generally non-optimal course conditions. So if you add a few more shots on to allow for the course, I would think they would still shoot in the low 60's. I doubt we'll ever know for sure. I don't think Tiger (or anyone else on the PGA) is likely to be popping in for a round any time soon.

terryand
17th October 2005, 11:27 AM
I think the PGA guys that only play in the US would stuggle with our 328 green with the grain and break,to start with,being used to bent greens week in week out.

Saying that you would think it would only take a couple of rounds to get used to it....Maybe.

Terry.

BrisWesty
17th October 2005, 07:41 PM
As a relative novice, what is the difference between 328 and bent? Serious question.

terryand
17th October 2005, 08:00 PM
328 is probably on most courses in SE Qld and is a grass that grows like most couch grasses,by runners.Which makes it grow thicker and thicker and thats where the grain(usaually grain runs towards the west or water and a putt will run easier with the grain) comes from that can affect the run of a putt.
It can be a real art to read breaks and grain on a green.As putts tend to break more with the grain and less into the grain.

And bent is a single growing stork or leaf grass that doesn't thinkin up as much as 328.So it doesn't have a grain to affect putts like 328.Some bent greens in SE Qld are The Glades (best greens I have ever putted on),City and Middle Ridge(I think) up on the hill and Thr West course at CTH,where the morning round of the Ozgolf champs are.

Terry.

markTHEblake
17th October 2005, 08:30 PM
Cairns is a par 72 with an ACR of 71. So if these guys on the Von Nida tour can carve it up

thats interesting. Emerald lakes has to be one of the easiest courses going around, 5 par 5's reachable in two easily (i am talking short irons on 3 of them) and 3 driveable par 4's

yet last years Qld PGA the 1st and 2nd place shot 57 under between them, yet only one player in the entire field tied the course record of 9 under 63.

The easier courses allow more golfers to get close to the leaders, not the leaders to get away from the field.

solarman
11th February 2011, 01:57 PM
I reckon Tiger would shoot around 64 at Cairns.
Having said that it would be around 75 if he got to play with me, such is my influence and sledging quality.

Julie
11th February 2011, 02:08 PM
Having said that it would be around 75 if he got to play with me, such is my influence and sledging quality.

Yes, but he would not be as entertaining as you are on youtube Solarman.:D

kpac
11th February 2011, 02:48 PM
thats interesting. Emerald lakes has to be one of the easiest courses going around, 5 par 5's reachable in two easily (i am talking short irons on 3 of them) and 3 driveable par 4's

Remind me again which 3 par 5's you're hitting short iron into.... you gorilla!

sms316
11th February 2011, 03:22 PM
I reckon he would score a couple of drinks cart girls and a bar staffer or two at Pelican.

Tongueboy
11th February 2011, 03:34 PM
he would shoot a shit load now

Captain Nemo
11th February 2011, 03:49 PM
Probably 66 at Kogarah from the plates.
My club pro plays every wed in the comp, ive hardly ever seen him shoot less than even par and he plays a fair bit of golf.

markTHEblake
11th February 2011, 04:59 PM
Remind me again which 3 par 5's you're hitting short iron into.... you gorilla!

That post was 6 years ago! and we are talking about Tiger, not me. 2, 4 & 6. are all 450m holes, par 4's for those guys.

aussieashley
11th February 2011, 08:26 PM
However, these PGA types may struggle with the condition of a regular member-based course. They would be used to near-perfect fairways & greens. But if they played on one of these courses (well, Cairns at least :roll: ) they will have to put up with bare lies/ inconsistent greens/ bunkers with no sand and generally non-optimal course conditions. So if you add a few more shots on to allow for the course, I would think they would still shoot in the low 60's.

Totally agree with this. I'd love to see Tiger handle some of the bunkers and lies at the Gold Coast Country Club.

Veefore
11th February 2011, 08:35 PM
Wow! Threadmining at it's best.

FWIW, if Tigers driver was misbehaving, he would probably shoot 71 or so around Hartfield, including 2 or 3 lost balls. If he was driving it well then about 60-61.

Courty
12th February 2011, 04:45 PM

You obviously didn't read my earlier post, I reckon he'd go lower than that. 1 & 2 are driveable for him, less than full wedge approach for pretty much every other par 4, every par 5 in 2 with mid-iron second shot. The only thing that would hold him back is the suspect lies and slow, grainy greens.

PerryGroves
12th February 2011, 05:16 PM
Jack shot 62 around my course in the 1971 Dunlop Masters, with a bogey on the last Norman has shot 64. Premium on accurate driving, given Tiger hits it all over the place, presume he wouldn't go any lower

BrisVegas
12th February 2011, 09:16 PM
Hard to say. I guess if he stiffed his irons all day he could shoot 62 or so.

BrisWesty
13th February 2011, 09:01 PM
After the last 18 months, half the associates under 60.

dave1
14th February 2011, 12:51 AM
right now....70

playing well 67

if the wind is up breaking par here is almost impossible for anyone.....

depends on the weather

MegaWatty
14th February 2011, 12:54 AM
I think he can shoot sub par in tough weather.

http://shibuya246.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Tiger-Woods.jpg

markTHEblake
14th February 2011, 08:17 AM
Tiger wont shoot any lower than anyone else has on a given golf course. (assuming that plenty of good players have already played many times)
Tiger has not been winning tournaments by shooting course records all the time, i cant even recall if he has one. He just shot scores at the low end of the spectrum more consistently

CanuckDownUnder
15th February 2011, 11:40 PM
He'd be batting 100%. He would score on every decent bird that golfed that day/weekend/week on course. There would be wayward drives all over that mofo from all those women. Fore! I mean Whore!

dave1
16th February 2011, 01:09 AM
I think he can shoot sub par in tough weather.

http://shibuya246.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/Tiger-Woods.jpg

agree...but hes a shadow of that player now...and i mean a complete shadow

Veefore
16th February 2011, 10:10 AM
right now....70

playing well 67

if the wind is up breaking par here is almost impossible for anyone.....

depends on the weather

At Albany? Right now 67. At his best 61-62. He would EAT that course. It is just too short to really challenge the really top level players. Last time I played Albany it was a 4 club sou' easter wind and 7 players broke par.

MegaWatty
16th February 2011, 10:53 AM
He'd only shoot 67 now? He went 7 deep in Dubai with strong winds the other day!

Scottt
16th February 2011, 01:10 PM
Funny to see some people suggesting Woods would only shoot 4 or 5 under around their course.

Playing courses at 7200-7400 yards (6500-6800ish metres) with narrow fairways, FAST hard greens and thick rough he is about a +6.

He would destroy Bonnie Doon.

Par fives - 1 and 4 he would have a mid iron or short iron into let's call it 3, 4. The 11th he'd have to hit a mid iron or long iron with the prevailing wind. Call it a 4. So he's -4 on those three holes.

Par fours - he could reach 2, 6, 7 and 17, so I'm handing him a birdie average on them, allowing for an eagle and maybe a stuff-up par. -4 on those 4. #s 8, 9, 10, 13, 14, 15 and 18 he would have between a wedge and 7i in depending on the wind (except 10 which is shorter but has a bloody hard green). Flattish greens - I'll give him -2 or -3 on those holes.

Par threes - #3 is long and blind. Par. #5 has a tough green and is 170m. Par. #12 and #16 are easier. Say he birdies one of them. -1 on them.

So -4 on the fives, -6 or -7 on the fours and -1 on the threes. -11 or -12 overall, allow for a bogey or two, I'd say 10-under is the number: 61.

goughy
16th February 2011, 01:32 PM
I'm kinda with blakey on this. To me, it's not that the top pro's are shooting individual scores lower than any other pro in the field (or even not close to the field), but they tack good score after good score together. Their consistency is the key and ability to do it over and over. I think on many of our tracks they could shoot regular 6 to 9 unders. What I wonder about though is the difference in course conditions. I mean, the courses they play on are absolutely mint. Their fairways look better than many of our greens, and run faster. So how would our course conditions affect them? Inconsistant bunker conditions, varying green condition and paces, shitty rough etc etc. How much would those things affect their scoring ability?

AndyP
16th February 2011, 02:08 PM