PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: OT.....Info about Mountain Bikes

rowey
1st October 2012, 07:49 PM
Hi Guys,

Is there anyone out there that does a bit of bike riding & is up to speed with the current bikes. Looking at a purchase & because I havent had a bike for a while, I was wondering what types of derailers, brakes & other running gear is the safest to go with.

Cheers

Rowey

Ashes
1st October 2012, 07:55 PM
I raced for years and build up my own bikes still. Happy to help mate.

What sort of riding are you going to do? Any bikes in particular that you're looking at?

rowey
1st October 2012, 07:58 PM
Mate nothing like down hill or stuff like that, just a bit of riding for a bit of exercise. Currently looking at a Cannondale bike on the bay, seems a pretty good price & in good condition

rowey
1st October 2012, 08:00 PM
#300785295975, Ashes this is the item number on ebay, if you dont mind can you have a look & let me know your thoughts.

Cheers

Ashes
1st October 2012, 08:06 PM
Cool. Feel free to pm the eBay link and I'll happily give you a bit of feedback.

To be honest, most bikes from reputable brands will do the job. Spending more will get you lighter weights and sometimes better durability and handling.

Fit is the most important thing to get right though.

rowey
1st October 2012, 08:18 PM
PM sent Ashes

markTHEblake
1st October 2012, 09:05 PM
Mate nothing like down hill or stuff like that, just a bit of riding for a bit of exercise.

I just bought a Giant Seek pretty good bike IMHO. Knowing nothing about Bikes beforehand, but got a lot of advice from the experts left right and centre, makes me a smartarse now, so I got to ask why a mountain bike if its just for exercise?

oncewasagolfer
1st October 2012, 09:06 PM
I started off with a giant hard tail mtb just over and year ago and it's been great but on long offroad rides my butt would really cop it (no homo). I wanted to upgrade to a dual suspension but didn't have the cash to buy new and was lucky enough to pick up a second hand GT on eBay and it is so much nicer to ride. Depending on what sort of riding you will be doing and how often a dual suspension might be worthwhile and disc brakes are awesome as well.

oncewasagolfer
1st October 2012, 09:10 PM
Thinking about selling my giant talon 2 has rock shock front suspension, disc breaks etc in excellent condition.

Ashes
1st October 2012, 09:38 PM
I just bought a Giant Seek pretty good bike IMHO. Knowing nothing about Bikes beforehand, but got a lot of advice from the experts left right and centre, makes me a smartarse now, so I got to ask why a mountain bike if its just for exercise?Mtb's are more versatile. You can throw on a slick and it'll be close to a hybrid for fitness work (assuming you don't need the bigger chainring) but can go off road too.If you want something specific for road riding why not get a roadie?

pingmanjas
1st October 2012, 10:27 PM
I have a specialized hardrock sport has disc brakes and fork lockout. Really good bike on and off road.

Ashes
1st October 2012, 11:47 PM
I started off with a giant hard tail mtb just over and year ago and it's been great but on long offroad rides my butt would really cop it (no homo). I wanted to upgrade to a dual suspension but didn't have the cash to buy new and was lucky enough to pick up a second hand GT on eBay and it is so much nicer to ride. Depending on what sort of riding you will be doing and how often a dual suspension might be worthwhile and disc brakes are awesome as well.All depends on what sort of riding you're doing.

I started racing when even front suspension was uncommon. Actually did downhill races on a fully rigid bike. I was a big believer in full suspension; was an early adopter and pretty much rode full suspension exclusively. Current bike is a steel hardtail, first non-full suspension in something like 15 years. Have used it for road, cross country, enduro, downhill and off-road touring. Most versatile bike, is awesome fun to ride.

rowey
2nd October 2012, 04:40 PM
I just bought a Giant Seek pretty good bike IMHO. Knowing nothing about Bikes beforehand, but got a lot of advice from the experts left right and centre, makes me a smartarse now, so I got to ask why a mountain bike if its just for exercise?

MTB,

I am looking at a Mountain Bike because with the shit roads we have I dont want to be wasting coin on tyres. Can you suggest another form of exercise.

rowey
2nd October 2012, 04:42 PM
Thinking about selling my giant talon 2 has rock shock front suspension, disc breaks etc in excellent condition.

PM sent

Mububban
2nd October 2012, 11:38 PM
Can you suggest another form of exercise.

Jogging is cheap and arguably the fastest way to get fit....assuming yo don't come down with ankle/knee/etc problems :D