PDA

View Full Version : WA: The Local Derby: Nuffie vs Idgolfguy

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 11:04 AM
Finally the local derby is here and NUFFIETHEGOLFMAN has been transformed from a Red Dog since returning to earth, AND into a horse! Yes... now the two little horses of WA ozgolf will be going at it...

NUFFIETHEGOLFMAN (He may be little but he is fierce and never says die)
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/vSgC0lUaihY/0.jpg
VS

IDGOLFGUY (We all know he is stronger, heavier and can get it out there if its his day, and has won the derby all before)
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ_S4fRLvuv4T8LrbJmjuSndghCDjAJT 6g5O3c6TnNvr13uW2WC
Forget the Melbourne Cup, Caulfield Cup or the Kentucky Derby... this is set to be the derby of all derbies - The Local Derby!

With Lleyton Hewitt in the saddle and facing off against the Dark Horse (Idgolfguy) , Nuffie (The White Pony) will have a bit more weight to carry than usual, 7 shots working in favor of the Dark Horse. Inspired by the great victories of Sydney Swans in 2012, Seabiscuit's countless wins and most notably NUFFIETHEGOLFMAN's cousin, Sir Dappa's victory - Winner of the 1983 Golden Slipper, the little horse is gonna need to draw on all of this... dig deep and reverse the trends exhibited on the Form Guide for over the last six months. Will the spring weather shine fondly on the white horse. In 7 hours time we shall know...

This event has the makings of Sea Biscuit vs War Admiral and could indeed become "The race that stops The Vines".

Ladies and gentleman, the betting ring has opened. Place your bets. May the best horse on the day win...

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2012, 11:10 AM
I thought you gave up the horse tranquillizers Nuffie?

The only this horse about you is that you are un"stable". (for Golfnut)

Thanks for specifying that you were the white horse and ID the black one, I had it the other way around.

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 11:22 AM
Hey I thought you were on nappy duty this morning?

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2012, 11:35 AM
Your's need changing?

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 12:03 PM
Your's need changing?

Not yet, but in a few years time when sprog #1 comes along, I'll know where to go for all the advice 8-).

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2012, 12:06 PM
Pieface, he never leaves the house.

Due to your lack of form Nuff, ID 3&2

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 12:17 PM
Pieface, he never leaves the house.

Due to your lack of form Nuff, ID 3&2

JC has made an honest prediction based on the Form Guide...

I've put a bit of time in at the range the last few weeks but it hasn't yet translated into any good form on the course. The irons expecialy have been missing way too many greens and with the average bunkering sand on some holes and recovering greens (from coring) that we have at the moment, there will be nowhere to hide giving 7 shots away - if too many greens are missed in reg.

Maybe today with the beautiful weather we have, consistency will come.

Shadesy
30th September 2012, 04:52 PM
Entertaining read Nuffie...

So when's the Matchplay thread between you and ID going to be started?

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 06:25 PM
It's done and dusted almost...Was all square going down the last. Both short of the water for two...ID drains a 30 footer for birdie after both being on in 3. Nuffie makes par after laying up for two with the PW. Wasn't hitting 3w well so decided to play safe. This was always going to be my weakness today, too many long shots going left so couldn't go for it.ID wins the local derby 1up by a horses nostrel and advances. Well done ID.

Johnny Canuck
30th September 2012, 07:12 PM
ID made a putt after the 5th hole? Holy shit. Well played!

Yossarian
30th September 2012, 07:53 PM
Unrucky nuff, off to the knackery now?

Good course management on 18 Id, well played!

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 08:26 PM
Today was a fitting victory for ID.To be 8 over at the end myself, is exactly where things have been for a number of months now.Twice today, ID made birdies on par 5's. On both those holes I couldn't take advantage with the second shot - when in position to end up at least close to the green. In the end this proved to be the difference.ID played steady and kept most bad holes to a bogey. So unless I could make more pars and a few birdies it was going to be tough to win.ID drove it well on the back nine and given his putting has turned the corner, he's going to be tough to beat in the semi final against either Rubin or TourFit, my prediction is the latter.Veeman vs JC is going to be another super rematch!

Shadesy
30th September 2012, 08:51 PM
Guess I may as well just give JC the Walkover Nuff?

idgolfguy
30th September 2012, 08:58 PM
Thanks to Bergsey, VMan and Nuffie. 4hours 10 mins on a fully booked Sunday.

Sorry about the slower greens. I will let management know.

Happy to play steady. Even though I'm of 13, Nuff and I decided to play 3/4HC. He gave me 6 shots. I still felt guilty at times.

However, yesterday's Medal round, I hit 96 net. I wondered how I could face Ashes after the discussion we had about managing a round.

Today, I just warmed up hitting 40-70m pitches and about 10mins of putting. Capped it off with a bacon and egg sandwich.

Happy, that I could follow up yesterday's Gross 108 with a 79. Shame I had a couple of double hits in two of the bunkers.

Nuffie
30th September 2012, 09:01 PM
Guess I may as well just give JC the Walkover Nuff? Sorry shades, I was led astray and thought your match with JC was done.I just tried to see the ladder to clarify but it's hidden for some reason.

BayBum
1st October 2012, 08:00 AM
108 to 79 ID ?! Damn.

That competitive kick in the backside worked a treat.Congrats mate.

Ashes
1st October 2012, 09:28 AM
Thanks to Bergsey, VMan and Nuffie. 4hours 10 mins on a fully booked Sunday.Sorry about the slower greens. I will let management know.Happy to play steady. Even though I'm of 13, Nuff and I decided to play 3/4HC. He gave me 6 shots. I still felt guilty at times.However, yesterday's Medal round, I hit 96 net. I wondered how I could face Ashes after the discussion we had about managing a round.Today, I just warmed up hitting 40-70m pitches and about 10mins of putting. Capped it off with a bacon and egg sandwich.Happy, that I could follow up yesterday's Gross 108 with a 79. Shame I had a couple of double hits in two of the bunkers.Nice turnaround id!!

idgolfguy
1st October 2012, 09:37 AM
Thanks guys. Love matchplay. However, Nuffie is a tough competitor. He has been chopping it for weeks, and yesterday, I saw him piece together some steady golf. On the index 2 hole, par 4, he lands into 2 bunkers and still makes par.

He gave me 6 shots, and I didn't win a hole on any of those.

Yossarian
1st October 2012, 11:11 AM
Did Nuffie shot 80 off the bat, you 79 and you only won 1 up??

Nuffie
1st October 2012, 11:40 AM
Did Nuffie shot 80 off the bat, you 79 and you only won 1 up?? It appears that way. Lots of very close holes, coz ID shot 6 better than cap and me 2 worse. He made 2 birds which helped a lot, canned two 25 footers to make each. He played within himself and really kept his head. If he played like this all the time he'd be off 9 or 8.For the lower marker to win on sandy greens, the approaches needed to be on song all day. I knew this would be my weakness but I made it a tighter contest than it could have been for ID. He will be tough to beat in the next round.

idgolfguy
1st October 2012, 12:25 PM
Did Nuffie shot 80 off the bat, you 79 and you only won 1 up??
It's how handicapping works. Nuffie and worked out our handicap difference which was 7 and played 3/4 which worked out to be about 6. He played off the stick and I played to 6.

If we played stableford approach where Nuffie played at 6 to 11, I would have won by 3.

Hence, MPs are played on HC differences and factored against the most difficult holes. The other approach would have Nuffie having to win by making birdies against me making pars on the easier holes.

Don't know about you, if I was going to give a shot on a hole, I'd rather do it on a tough hole than an easier one. Pars are easier to come by than birdie.

Lakes 2 and 14 are indexed 16 and 15 respectively but birdies, let alone pars are tough to come by.

Lakes 4 and 17 are index 1 and 2. However, I would much rather give a shot away here as a higher HC could struggle for a par. One with stronger course management could wring out a 4 but more likely a 5.

Veefore
1st October 2012, 08:44 PM
Veeman told me how well you played and especially how well you putted. Well done ID.:)

idgolfguy
2nd October 2012, 01:35 AM
Veeman told me how well you played and especially how well you putted. Well done ID.:)
Thanks mate, the putter faded a bit when I went to the thicker grip and completely lost touch and confidence. It's been about 2 months since some semblance of belief has returned.

With, Chequers I was a good Division 4 player. Have not played Pennants since switching over to Vines for my HC. Had something to prove to myself about managing my game.

Still coming to grips with my new irons though and I have rejigged my swing and transition which is taking its time.

Have set a goal to get to 10 again by Champs. Being pragmatic, it will probably be the best HC I would play at ongoing.

Nuffie
3rd October 2012, 03:26 PM

ID played real well, despite getting caught up in two bunkers - on the 1st AND 7th. He plugged horridly under a lip on 7 and had to almost hit backwards to get out.

I agree with ID's comments about a thin putter grip vs thick: Thin gives better feel, feedback and distance control. It also makes the clubhead seem perceptionally bigger and consequently, makes it easier to strike putts out of the middle.

The Vines bunkers are not so great at the moment. I wish they were more like Hartfields in fact. The sand is too thick and they don't drain properly at their base. The sand gets like a thick viscous mud and the club just gets snagged/stuck in it. Bring back the way they were 6 months ago...

I expected the greens to be average which was fine - coring was 5 weeks ago. Had the bunkers been in better condition though, ID may have well shot in the mid 70s. Missed greens at the moment round there prove very costly. 9/10 times it = bogey.

Anyone who plays 6 shots better than their cap deserves to win any day of the week. I was 2 worse.

Even when I won against ID at Kwinana three years ago during our summer cup, it took a 74 off the stick to win that match 3 and 2. IF I'd shot a 79 that day and even played to cap, it would not have been enough.

Pieface
4th October 2012, 12:01 PM
Well done ID. Sounds like you had a day out. Winning with a sweet 30' bird must have felt nice!

Hard luck Nuffie. I think you did a stellar job to take it to the last with id smashing his 'cap.

Nuffie
4th October 2012, 02:29 PM
Well done ID. Sounds like you had a day out. Winning with a sweet 30' bird must have felt nice!

Hard luck Nuffie. I think you did a stellar job to take it to the last with id smashing his 'cap.

Fair call Pieman...

I stuck in there till the end like Lleyton, even though it was tough to predict exactly where my short irons and woods were going. The short game kept me in it as is often the case, no 3 putts.

This weekend and next is club champs - 4 rounds, sat and sun! With all my g-link scores currently counting being 6, 7 or 8, it is time to go to work on that cap as a few 4's would make a big difference. Still 6.3 with a five rounds window now to strike low...

Good weather and course conditions should help. ID is also playing in the champs.