PDA

View Full Version : Music: Buy Physical or Download?

AndyP
28th September 2012, 05:59 PM
I'm talking about albums that you pay for here. Which do you prefer? A physical CD or the digital download?

I've tended to buy the physical CDs, but all I end up doing is converting it to digital anyway and rarely listen to the physical CD. I'm thinking I should change to digital, but I don't know if I can let go.

timah!
28th September 2012, 06:04 PM
I like the idea of buying CDs, but the fact I can buy an album on my phone in the middle of nowhere has its advantages.

Eag's
28th September 2012, 06:10 PM
When it comes to albums, physical only for me.

kev
28th September 2012, 06:17 PM
For music - physical and rip it.

Lagerlover
28th September 2012, 06:19 PM
Wasting my time... Thought this was a ONJ thread!!

AndyP
28th September 2012, 06:20 PM
For music - physical and rip it.
And put the CD on the shelf to gather dust? That's what I've been doing.

Jarro
28th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Bring back vinyl !!

AndyP
28th September 2012, 06:25 PM
There are plenty of modern releases on vinyl, jarro. You just need to go to the right places.

Lobsta
28th September 2012, 06:26 PM
I only listen to music off 8-track.

BenM
28th September 2012, 06:34 PM
Don't buy much these days but when I do, physical all the way.

Yes, I end up ripping it and it gathers dust on the shelf but I don't care. It's nice to have something tangible to look at. I must be old fashioned like that because I've resisted the switch to e-books for the same reason, despite the shelves being almost completely chockers and nowhere to put more...

Yossarian
28th September 2012, 06:45 PM
I am the same Andy, prefer a CD but just goes straight on the Ipood. I am getting into just buying digital but I like the idea of having the album around...

Lagerlover
28th September 2012, 06:53 PM
Wasting my time... Thought this was a ONJ thread!!

Olivia Newton John...

Minor_Threat
28th September 2012, 07:32 PM
Digital all the way for us now! Just went through yhe exercise of storing our thousand odd CDs.

Jarro
28th September 2012, 07:43 PM
Digital all the way for us now! Just went through yhe exercise of storing our thousand odd CDs.

Same.

We've got over 700 CD's that sit in storage, never to be touched again :roll:

AndyP
28th September 2012, 07:45 PM
Do you have all your digital files in flac format like henno?

Minor_Threat
28th September 2012, 08:28 PM
Do you have all your digital files in flac format like henno?No .mp3 @ 320kbps is good enough for our needs!

AndyP
28th September 2012, 08:30 PM
Sacrilege!

I'm the same. I've only just discovered that the previous apple earphones were ordinary.

Ashes
28th September 2012, 08:35 PM
Do you have all your digital files in flac format like henno?

I buy physical albums only, then rip to mp3(320) and put them in storage. At this stage my only listening happens in the car on the way to work, so mp3 is fine.

If circumstances change I can either get the cd's out to listen on the hifi or rip them to flac and set up a digital system.

AlexMc
28th September 2012, 09:48 PM
If I really love the album or band, I'll buy the CD. Lately I've been using Spotify and downloading tracks to listen to offline rather than buying through iTunes or stealing off the net.

LeftyHoges
28th September 2012, 11:02 PM
I haven't bought a CD in over 10 years. Wave of the future! Like AlexMc, Spotify is my biatch now.

Jarro
28th September 2012, 11:33 PM
Hello,

I am new here too. :roll: I'm AndyP, you may remember me from another forum as apholden. :wink:

Thanks to the Toowoomba peoples for getting this thing going. It looks a lot better than what I was expecting.

Yeeeehaaaa!

Another Spotify user here :cool:

3Puttpete
29th September 2012, 08:44 AM
Don't buy much these days but when I do, physical all the way.Yes, I end up ripping it and it gathers dust on the shelf but I don't care. It's nice to have something tangible to look at. I must be old fashioned like that because I've resisted the switch to e-books for the same reason, despite the shelves being almost completely chockers and nowhere to put more...Buying CDs...old fashioned :)That's like cricket traditionalists liking the longer version of the game, 50 overs. It's all relative.

Courty
29th September 2012, 09:41 PM
I'm an early adopter when it comes to new technology. It's been years since I bought a CD. iTunes Store is so convenient, I can buy music without having to get dressed or get off the couch. ;)

kev
29th September 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm an early adopter when it comes to new technology. It's been years since I bought a CD. iTunes Store is so convenient, I can buy music without having to get dressed or get off the couch. ;)

That's only because it takes you longer to get dressed than it does to drive to the store, buy the cd and drive back home again. ;)

Lobsta
29th September 2012, 09:51 PM
iTunes Store is so convenient, I can buy music without having to get dressed

That'd save you hours!

Daves
30th September 2012, 12:05 AM
Depends on the music, era and price equation. I have been backfilling my collection from Cashies and JB Hifi at a fraction of the price iTunes want for the same albums.

AndyP
30th September 2012, 07:52 AM
Oz iTunes gouges us on price. It is cheaper to download from OS, if possible.

sol381
30th September 2012, 08:07 AM
c.d. use it in the car or home stereo..only ever use ipod when im on a plane.. prefer the large open sound of speakers than the crappy tinny in ear headphones..

LarryLong
30th September 2012, 09:13 PM
I'm an old fashioned CD buyer, although I'm starting to buy the occasional thing as a download only - especially when it is direct from the artist or label and going cheap. I try to avoid iTunes because I'm an apple hater.

I haven't tried Spotify, but I've been addicted to pandora.com for years.