PDA

View Full Version : Rory to nike >?

Pages : [1] 2

squishy
27th September 2012, 02:34 PM
heard a rumor that rory is looking at moving over to nike, nike has offered around the 30mil mark... hope its not true

Jarro
27th September 2012, 02:38 PM
Seems a good move if that amount of $$$$ is correct.

timah!
27th September 2012, 02:42 PM
It's been on the GolfWRX site for a while.

I don't think it'd be that good at all...

TheTrueReview
27th September 2012, 02:45 PM
Seems a good move if that amount of $$$$ is correct.

Agree (if it's true). Nike has dumped some non-performers in recent times; eg. David Duval, Justin Leonard, etc. Perhaps the "next big nothing" Anthony Kim will be next. It'd make sense to sign up a true talent like McIlroy.

sms316
27th September 2012, 02:48 PM
It would be a good fit for both. I wonder how much the Arabs are paying for cap space.

chappy1970
27th September 2012, 03:04 PM
If he does, he has brain damage. Yea $30 mill is a lot of cash, but having confidence in your equipment and being able to trust it down the stretch will cover that $ comfortably I would have thought.

Mububban
27th September 2012, 03:11 PM
If Tiger trusts Nike, I'm pretty sure they make good gear. And $30 million certainly ensures he'll be financially set, as any athlete is only one major injury away from never playing their sport again and boom, there goes their income.

I'm pretty sure no (intelligent) athlete changes brands without trying the equipment extensively first. And he'd have access to all the latest and greatest info on all his stats so he'd be comparing apples to apples.

3Puttpete
27th September 2012, 03:21 PM
Nike are getting ripped. I'll do it for half that

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2012, 03:27 PM
They can build anything he wants, similar to whatever club he wants and just brand it Nike.

Jarro
27th September 2012, 03:29 PM
They can build anything he wants, similar to whatever club he wants and just brand it Nike.

Exactly.

IF it's true, he's done well .... that's a lot of coin no matter who you are.

LarryLong
27th September 2012, 03:40 PM
If Tiger trusts Nike, I'm pretty sure they make good gear. And $30 million certainly ensures he'll be financially set, as any athlete is only one major injury away from never playing their sport again and boom, there goes their income.

I'm pretty sure no (intelligent) athlete changes brands without trying the equipment extensively first. And he'd have access to all the latest and greatest info on all his stats so he'd be comparing apples to apples.

<HippyRant>

I'm pretty sure that at their level, it's almost irrelevant to them what brand they use, and if it somehow isn't, Nike will find a way to put their brand on his preferred option without anybody knowing any better.

The sad thing is that punters think it makes a difference, and this justifies Nike giving $30 million - paid for by said punters - to a guy who would perform with any old set. I don't blame Rory for taking the money, but I do long for somebody to show some balls and forego all endorsements so that they can use whatever they like and keep some integrity.

</HippyRant>

Ashes
27th September 2012, 03:44 PM
Or do a Fowler, take the endorsement and still use whatever equipment he likes.

TheTrueReview
27th September 2012, 04:01 PM
<HippyRant> ... I do long for somebody to show some balls and forego all endorsements so that they can use whatever they like and keep some integrity. </HippyRant> You're talking about professional golfers, right? I can't see how an integrity argument could apply. Their sponsorships are there for the world to see.

HCC
27th September 2012, 05:52 PM
Just same as people will leave for better position or higher income.

LarryLong
27th September 2012, 07:01 PM
You're talking about professional golfers, right? I can't see how an integrity argument could apply. Their sponsorships are there for the world to see.

True enough, but you don't see many pros saying "Oh this? I just use it because they pay me. All you choppers out there should just buy whatever's cheapest". It's all "I switched to Srixon to play a better ball".

sms316
27th September 2012, 07:03 PM
True enough, but you don't see many pros saying "Oh this? I just use it because they pay me. All you choppers out there should just buy whatever's cheapest". It's all "I switched to Srixon to play a better ball".
Robert Rock does it on the Euro Tour. Can't think of anyone else though.

CanuckDownUnder
27th September 2012, 07:09 PM
From a marketing standpoint, Having 1,2 stardom appeal at one brand will draw huge numbers towards the company as a whole. Not just for purchasing golf equipment, but I believe on many other Nike products that golfers would not consider as their first choice. Look at Kobe Bryant formally with Adidas (his original shoe collaborated with Audi). ROY. Hornet to a Laker. After switching to Nike, his stock went up bigtime (his signature shoe collaborated with Aston Martin). Championship rings, Sodomy charge. More Championship rings. No1 selling jersey in the world. Rors will be fine if and when he moves to Nike. He's the heir apparent.

simmsy
27th September 2012, 07:17 PM
WRX have been running that rumour for a while, they ran it last year too.

it might happen but wouldn't hold my breath.

TheTrueReview
27th September 2012, 07:23 PM
Now would be the time that negotiations are occurring. They usually turn out in the new sponsors kit at the start of the year.

Not that it was a big coup but Ross Fisher came across from Titleist to Nike in 2012.

http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article7814717.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/Pg-9-fisher-pa.jpg

Iain
27th September 2012, 07:33 PM
I think it'd be funny, all the Rory/Titleist fanboys wouldn't know what to do with themselves!!!

timah!
27th September 2012, 07:40 PM
They'd have to buy Nike, derr :lol:

IamViva
27th September 2012, 07:43 PM
I think it'd be funny, all the Rory/Titleist fanboys wouldn't know what to do with themselves!!!

I don't think it'd be that good at all...

Teehee! :mrgreen:

ddasey
27th September 2012, 07:43 PM

They'd have to buy Nike, derr :lol:

I look forward to the changes in your WITB thread :mrgreen:

timah!
27th September 2012, 07:46 PM
No worries. I'll start saving?
Blades?

ddasey
27th September 2012, 07:52 PM
No worries. I'll start saving?
Blades?

Gee lucky you didn't pick up one of these...

timah!
27th September 2012, 07:53 PM
Haha, not yet anyway!

perci
27th September 2012, 08:08 PM
Gee lucky you didn't pick up one of these...

I wish I had of !

AlexMc
27th September 2012, 10:21 PM
One of the Golf journo's on Twitter this morning said that he had only re-signed with Titleist at the start of this year and Nike was no chance of happening...

3oneday
27th September 2012, 10:27 PM
How many people actually changed to using Nike because of Tiger ? It's just never been an "it" brand like Titleist or Ping.

I know when I was growing up those two brands were almost the most expensive, you couldn't afford to own a set.

TheTrueReview
27th September 2012, 10:31 PM
One of the Golf journo's on Twitter this morning said that he had only re-signed with Titleist at the start of this year and Nike was no chance of happening...

Furyk only moved to TaylorMade (from Srixon) for 12 months before moving to Callaway.

LarryLong
27th September 2012, 10:55 PM
How many people actually changed to using Nike because of Tiger ?

sti83 bought a set of swingshots...

pingmanjas
27th September 2012, 11:25 PM
<HippyRant>

I'm pretty sure that at their level, it's almost irrelevant to them what brand they use, and if it somehow isn't, Nike will find a way to put their brand on his preferred option without anybody knowing any better.

The sad thing is that punters think it makes a difference, and this justifies Nike giving $30 million - paid for by said punters - to a guy who would perform with any old set. I don't blame Rory for taking the money, but I do long for somebody to show some balls and forego all endorsements so that they can use whatever they like and keep some integrity.

</HippyRant>

I thought Jim Furyk has a setup that allows him to play what he wants or has he signed to play callaway again?

idgolfguy
27th September 2012, 11:58 PM
How many people actually changed to using Nike because of Tiger ? It's just never been an "it" brand like Titleist or Ping.

I know when I was growing up those two brands were almost the most expensive, you couldn't afford to own a set.

Nike Golf is quite big in other countries. The distribution network slowed Nike here.

Shadesy
28th September 2012, 12:28 AM
Robert Rock does it on the Euro Tour. Can't think of anyone else though.

Great Hair... No cap needed!

BayBum
28th September 2012, 07:09 AM
Someone "close" to Rory on wrx said his contract with titleist was up at the end of this year but his oakley clothing deal is still in it's infancy.Grain of salt...

I can't see nike signing him to wear oakley gear.They will want the whole shabangabang.

irishamateur
28th September 2012, 07:11 AM
Rory would have no problem flushing these

http://youtu.be/eQTPU2ClgN4

popper81
28th September 2012, 07:31 AM
Great Hair... No cap needed! The man should have been an anchorman!!!

Puji
28th September 2012, 07:44 AM

Ha! This is why I want Rory to move to Nike!

popper81
28th September 2012, 07:47 AM
Ha! This is why I want Rory to move to Nike! So you can get on the wagon?

Puji
28th September 2012, 08:02 AM
Already on the wagon pop.

Need to buy Nike irons, hybrid, 3 wood and ill be set! :D

This won't happen. Just rumours anyway.

Would be brilliant though. It's not actually about the clubs as many have pointed out. Nike are a marketing machine. And their stretch is a tiny bit larger than the golf industry.

Tiger wanted his own clubs. Tiger made VR.

I'm sure Rory will have the same opportunity.

Wasn't Tiger playing Titleist sticks back then? I thought he completed his grand slam with some kind of Titleist gear.

mrbluu
28th September 2012, 08:48 AM
I think it would be a dumb move for Rory as the Titleist sticks seem to be working for him and there is a risk that he won't be able to get the nike's to set up the way he wants. He could make more than the 30mil just thru other sponsors if he keeps winning.......

virge666
28th September 2012, 09:26 AM
I think it would be a dumb move for Rory as the Titleist sticks seem to be working for him and there is a risk that he won't be able to get the nike's to set up the way he wants. He could make more than the 30mil just thru other sponsors if he keeps winning.......

They both play blades... it dosn't really matter who makes them. There are very little design differences with blades... it pretty much comes down to the length of the blade, the sole design and the size of the muscleback... all of which they chop and change with everyone anyway.

The Driver and fairways is where he will struggle to match up.

mrbluu
28th September 2012, 09:45 AM
They both play blades... it dosn't really matter who makes them. There are very little design differences with blades... it pretty much comes down to the length of the blade, the sole design and the size of the muscleback... all of which they chop and change with everyone anyway.

The Driver and fairways is where he will struggle to match up.

That's what I think as well. Rory was using the 906F 3 & 5 woods up until recently cos the liked them better the other Titleist FW's had on offer.

mackie
28th September 2012, 10:15 AM
ryan moore played with no endorsement deals for years, then he signed a big deal with scratch just after he had that pga tour win, and is now with Adams.

virge666
28th September 2012, 10:16 AM
ryan moore played with no endorsement deals for years, then he signed a big deal with scratch just after he had that pga tour win, and is now with Adams.

He plays cavities mate - massive shovels in fact.

Always going to be a big difference.

BayBum
28th September 2012, 02:41 PM
Moore only played scratch because he & his father were majority owners no ? He then flagged that venture, sold out to his old man & moved to adams.That's how I think it happened anyway ?.

Tigers blades are nothing like you will find on the shelf or so called tour van sellers.The muscle back extends higher on the club and is twice the thickness.Rory would get the same honorary treatment one feels.

Mububban
28th September 2012, 04:12 PM
Bit like cricketers using bats made by their favourite batmaker then plastering whichever sticker their current sponsor is eh? And their preferred profile shape isn't like what you'll find in stores either.

pingmanjas
28th September 2012, 08:20 PM
I am sure Nike would engineer whatever clubs and ball he wanted. How many pros out there have been loyal to one brand their whole career?

TheTrueReview
21st October 2012, 02:19 PM
The Irish Times is now reporting on it.

Speculation McIlroy will sign huge Nike deal

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/images/boundedtile/2012/1020/1224325504515_1.jpg?ts=1350788712

(http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/1020/1224325504515.html)

Johnny Canuck
21st October 2012, 03:06 PM
I think Rory is tired of receiving fake 913 heads.

timah!
21st October 2012, 04:11 PM
Good thing there is now a massive hole in Nike's budget with the departure of Lance Armstrong...

razaar
21st October 2012, 04:28 PM
I think Rory is tired of receiving fake 913 heads. Haha, if they are fake they are good ones.
I wonder if Tiger receives a bonus if McIlroy signs with Nike.

sol381
22nd October 2012, 11:44 AM
he must have thought about moving to nike even as a kid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emHiby0kICo&feature=related

Mububban
24th October 2012, 11:05 AM
Looking more likely it's going to happen:

World No.1 Rory McIlroy on Tuesday attempted to brush aside growing speculation in that he is about to sign a multi-million dollar deal to join Tiger Woods in the Nike stable.McIlroy, in Shanghai for the $US7 million ($A6.81 million) BMW Masters which begins on Thursday, was responding to stories in Irish newspapers which claimed the 23-year-old from Northern Ireland was about to sign a Nike contract which could see him earn up to a staggering $US250 million ($A243.30 million) over 10 years.
McIlroy's current deal with golf giant Titleist expires at the end of 2012, making the double major winner and leader on the money list on both sides of the Atlantic the most prized free agent on the equipment market.
"These rumours have been going around for years and it seems to always come up at this time of the year," McIlroy said at Lake Malaren Golf Club.
"I leave it up to Conor (Ridge, McIlroy's manager) to sort out as it leaves me to concentrate on my golf.
"That's all I can do and besides I have enough to think about trying to get the ball in the hole.
"Also I've got a very important end to my season coming up and I need to concentrate myself fully on that goal."

Not really a very convincing hosing down of the idea is it?

TheTrueReview
24th October 2012, 11:12 AM
Looking more likely it's going to happen:

Not really a very convincing hosing down of the idea is it?[/FONT][/COLOR]

More like => "Dear Titleist & Nike, if you want me give Connor a call and talk about the numbers."

Wormburner
24th October 2012, 12:51 PM
sounds like its close to a deal. Those numbers are staggering

Jay1
24th October 2012, 01:18 PM
Yep I think there is way too much smoke now for there not to be a fire.

kiwitown
25th October 2012, 01:45 PM
Not sure but didin't tiger still have a titty 3 wood when he swapped over to nike... alot of players have a different head cover on their drivers compared to what they are actually hitting?

Mububban
25th October 2012, 04:42 PM
Like Ryan Moore wearing a big ADAMS hat when the only Adams club in his entire bag is a hybrid? :mrgreen:

Ned
25th October 2012, 06:10 PM
Apparently announcements next week about Rory and Ricky....... apparently.

Iain
25th October 2012, 06:11 PM
Ricky?

simmsy
25th October 2012, 06:26 PM
Ponting.

perci
25th October 2012, 08:07 PM
Martin!

oncewasagolfer
25th October 2012, 08:34 PM
Apparently announcements next week about Rory and Ricky....... apparently. Apparently

IamViva
25th October 2012, 09:00 PM
Gervais?

3Puttpete
25th October 2012, 09:03 PM
The Dragon Steamboat

LarryLong
25th October 2012, 09:59 PM
http://tinyurl.com/2g9mqh

TheTrueReview
25th October 2012, 10:19 PM
If Rory went to Nike, would he give up his trusty Titleist 906F2?

http://www.sandbox8.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Screen-shot-2012-03-04-at-4.53.39-PM.png

Daves
26th October 2012, 06:20 AM
If Rory went to Nike, would he give up his trusty Titleist 906F2?

http://www.sandbox8.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Screen-shot-2012-03-04-at-4.53.39-PM.png

He dropped it out of the kit earlier in the year, has a 913 now;

http://www.golftoday.co.uk/equipment/in_the_bag/rory_mcilroy.html

TheTrueReview
26th October 2012, 06:44 AM
He dropped it out of the kit earlier in the year, has a 913 now; Thanks Daves. Didn't see that one.

timah!
31st October 2012, 08:56 AM
All I want for Xmas, is Nike?

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/10/30/mcilroy-titleist-to-depart-ways/

Lucasto23
31st October 2012, 01:24 PM
All I want for Xmas, is Nike?

http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/10/30/mcilroy-titleist-to-depart-ways/

Dibs on your 710cbs in the fire sale ;)

timah!
31st October 2012, 01:39 PM
Hahahaha.

;)

popper81
31st October 2012, 02:06 PM
All I want for Xmas, is Nike?http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/10/30/mcilroy-titleist-to-depart-ways/ Titleist fan-boi tattoo removed yet?

pingmanjas
31st October 2012, 02:16 PM
Might be a lot of Nike being bought this christmas

ddasey
31st October 2012, 02:19 PM
So will he continue using a SC putter ?

pt73
31st October 2012, 03:24 PM
Tiger used his SC for years.

Puji
31st October 2012, 03:37 PM
It's confirmed.

Rory moves to Cleveland.

Bet no-one saw that one coming!

Steve57
31st October 2012, 03:48 PM
It's confirmed.

Rory moves to Cleveland.

Bet no-one saw that one coming!

Link?

BayBum
31st October 2012, 04:00 PM
Cleveland Ohio ! lol

blurry
31st October 2012, 07:32 PM
I watched the Tiger vs Rory show the other day ,at one point you can clearly hear Tiger coating(bagging) the ball he was using to his caddy "that thing just fell out of the sky", then made remarks about using a different ball. So if Rory goes to nike will it be for bats only?

TheAwesom1
31st October 2012, 09:32 PM
Cleveland Ohio ! lol
That was a AWESOME post.

Rory will still win alot at Nike. Only issue he might have is the putter but thats about it.

pingmanjas
31st October 2012, 09:37 PM
It said on golf wrx he has a 2 month off season to test new clubs

BayBum
31st October 2012, 10:44 PM
The only thing about the Nike deal that doesnt fit is the clothing (no pun intended), I cant see nike having him without the swoosh on his shirt. Nike would have to buy him out of his contract with Oakley so it would be interesting to see how that plays out if he were to sign with Nike.

mrbluu
31st October 2012, 11:39 PM
The only thing about the Nike deal that doesnt fit is the clothing (no pun intended), I cant see nike having him without the swoosh on his shirt. Nike would have to buy him out of his contract with Oakley so it would be interesting to see how that plays out if he were to sign with Nike.

Obviously you haven't seen footage of him when he was younger......someone post a youtube clip of him with all Nike stuff.

BayBum
1st November 2012, 12:24 AM
OK,let me put it like this..

He is still under contract with Oakley - I dont know when it ends but anyone of his calibre playing for Nike will be an all or nothing deal.There is no way Nike will sign him without it being a 100% branding rights contract :)

McIlroy met with Oakley at the Tour Championship so that shows they aint gonna lie down & let Nike walk all over them . $100 mill (apparently) is what they have offered him to stay wearing their gear.

Time will tell...

Mububban
1st November 2012, 12:51 AM
So will he continue using a SC putter ?

Doubt it. Tiger only could because he had a staggered contract apparently that enabled him to make the gear changeover a gradual process

Woods spent five years switching out his equipment from Titleist to Nike, with an additional five years to leave his old Scotty Cameron putter.

McIlroy would have only two months.

He went to the Nike golf ball at a European Tour event in Germany in 2000, and then went on to win the next four majors. He didn’t go to the Nike driver until February 2002 at Pebble Beach, and then he won the first two majors that year (though he briefly went back to the Titleist driver in the summer).

Woods went to the Nike irons at a World Golf Championship in Ireland in 2002, one week before the Ryder Cup, which led to a memorable exchange. Asked why he would switch irons a week before such a big event like the Ryder Cup, Woods said to a reporter, “Off the record? Because the majors are over.” When asked for a comment on the record, Woods paused and said, “Because the majors are over.”
He won that WGC event and contributed 2˝ points in a losing cause at The Ryder Cup.

Woods went another year before adding Nike’s 56-degree wedge, and three weeks later he went to the lob wedge. The 3-wood was added at Doral in 2005 and the 5-wood came into play at the Tour Championship seven months later. The last change was the putter, first used at St. Andrews in 2010.

If these top pros are so skilled they can detect those 1% differences, changing your entire bag must surely be a massive change. I'm guessing he's been doing some private testing sessions away from any cameras.

rowey
1st November 2012, 09:24 PM
Nike would have a shit load more to throw around with getting rid of Lance Armstrong...

TheTrueReview
1st November 2012, 10:34 PM
Speculation => Rory skipping the HSBC Champions in order to finalise contract negotiations??

Mububban
2nd November 2012, 05:47 PM
Speculation => Rory skipping the HSBC Champions in order to finalise contract negotiations??

And probably hit about 5000 balls a day to get used to the new gear

Jarro
2nd November 2012, 05:53 PM
I thought they said he was going to watch his missus play tennis ?

chinaski
4th November 2012, 08:46 AM
It's official.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-2227463/Rory-McIlroy-signs-250m-Nike-deal.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

RobNewy
4th November 2012, 10:26 AM
Jesus thats a lot of money

BayBum
4th November 2012, 11:52 AM
Watney & Stanley too :neutral:

Good deal Rors. I hope he plays even better than before so Faldo can STFU and eat his words.

TheTrueReview
4th November 2012, 10:15 PM
It's official.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/golf/article-2227463/Rory-McIlroy-signs-250m-Nike-deal.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Great deal. The article mentions the "wholesome" relationship with Wosniacki & the value that brings. Possible a bitter/sweet factor given that's she's decked from head to toe in Adidas.

Watney & Stanley too :neutral:

I wonder who Nike will kick to the curb out of their stable of players. Some of the non-performers who are on the wane perhaps? Stewart Cink & Lucas Glover haven't really set the world on fire since their major victories. Jamie Lovemark hasn't kicked on to any great degree. Then there's the "No Big Thing" Anthony Kim sitting on a couch somewhere ...

Puji
4th November 2012, 10:24 PM
Lovely.

Be interesting to see how the titlieist fanbase reacts.

popper81
5th November 2012, 04:58 AM
Lovely. Be interesting to see how the titlieist fanbase reacts. Are you thinking about growing curly hair now, Tiger?

Puji
5th November 2012, 06:50 AM
I said Titleist fan base.

TheTrueReview
6th November 2012, 08:19 AM
McIlroy to Nike? Can’t see what all of the fuss is about really …

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/53523000/jpg/_53523844_baby2.jpg

Jarro
6th November 2012, 09:17 AM
Yep... looks like it was meant to be ;)

matty
7th November 2012, 08:43 PM
That photo will get used a bit.

WolfieTed
8th November 2012, 04:29 PM
I hate to admit this...but... When I started playing everyday when I was younger and more impressionable I was, and still am, a huge Ernie Els fan, but then Tiger turned up and; love him or hate him, he blew the game out of the water. Going back in time, I wanted to make the switch to blades and my golf coach agreed my ball-striking was consistent enough to have a go. Who do you think I went with...Tigers original Black tick Nike forged blades. Started looking into Nike gear left right and center. Why? Because I was young and if Tiger was using them, they must be the best.

Most of us are well beyond all that crap now, but impressions still make a huge difference in choosing equipment. I use the Hex Black Callaway balls now, I tried them because Ernie was raving about them.

Rory is the new face of golf #1 for the moment with years of exciting action to come. Nike would pay anything to have him on board!

*Think I might go a buy a Rory hat: Only $100, wow, cheap....oh shit, did I type that?*

simmsy
16th December 2012, 01:22 AM
Oakley to sue Rory & Nike:

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2012/12/truth-rumors-oakley-suing-mcilroy-and-nike-.html?sct=hp1

Puji
16th December 2012, 08:40 AM
Meh. Oakley v Nike.

Nike can afford an out of court settlement to Oakley and cover Rory without it affecting their balance sheets.

pingmanjas
16th December 2012, 09:59 AM
It wouldn't worry Nike a bit. They paid Titleist out when David Duval switched.

Ashes
16th December 2012, 10:03 AM
Oakleys claim sounds a bit tenuous to me but Nike will just settle it as others have said.

Ashes
2nd January 2013, 06:54 PM
Perhaps the lack of announcement on Rory is a sign the Oakley issue hasn't gone away? http://www.golfwrx.com/58699/kyle-stanley-signs-head-to-toe-deal-with-nike-golf/

Was interested to see Watney uses a 11.5* driver with square face angle. Is that unusual amongst the pros? I think I've seen Tigers specs show a similar loft before but it was way open, so would deloft as he squares the clubface (if I understand correctly?).

simmsy
2nd January 2013, 07:14 PM
close face add loft

rubin
2nd January 2013, 07:31 PM
close face add loft

Perhaps the lack of announcement on Rory is a sign the Oakley issue hasn't gone away? http://www.golfwrx.com/58699/kyle-stanley-signs-head-to-toe-deal-with-nike-golf/

Was interested to see Watney uses a 11.5* driver with square face angle. Is that unusual amongst the pros? I think I've seen Tigers specs show a similar loft before but it was way open, so would deloft as he squares the clubface (if I understand correctly?).

so yes, with tiger having the face so far open he delofts the shit out of it.

AlexMc
3rd January 2013, 07:13 AM
Rory is apparently being announced on the 14th of January in Abu Dhabi...

Puji
3rd January 2013, 07:16 AM
Nike's clip introducing KYle Stanley is pretty funny!

WantinGolf
4th January 2013, 10:52 PM
so is Rory and Nike a certainty?

bergsey
5th January 2013, 01:46 AM
so is Rory and Nike a certainty? Yep

meh
5th January 2013, 11:45 AM
hope he gets a better ball than that 20x1. What a piece of shit in comparison to the pro v.

Puji
5th January 2013, 07:38 PM
Piece of shit is rough. I think for $30 a dozen they are pretty good value vs $70 a dozen for proV(erated)1's.

See what I did there?

meh
5th January 2013, 07:53 PM
Piece of shit is rough. I think for $30 a dozen they are pretty good value vs $70 a dozen for proV(erated)1's.

See what I did there?

If you're paying $70 you are being bent over.
$30 is too much when you can get a penta for roughly the same price. Only a sad nike fanboy would play these. I gather that by your defenece of these shit pills that you use them?

HCC
5th January 2013, 11:37 PM
If you're paying $70 you are being bent over.
$30 is too much when you can get a penta for roughly the same price. Only a sad nike fanboy would play these. I gather that by your defenece of these shit pills that you use them?

well i have to say nike balls are decent and durable as they are! I played the diamonds, honestly hey are as long as the prov1 I hit and spin as good as a pro v!

Puji
5th January 2013, 11:44 PM
No. I use Pentas actually. Or whatever I found on the previous hole.

You can litter your posts with as many profanities you want - it doesn't add much to your argument.

How much do you buy your ProV1's for? I'm not getting bent over because I wouldn't buy a ball which is more than $35 a dozen. It's not worth it for my swing.

I would happily use any urethane covered ball to be honest. I don't even mind Titleist velocity balls. Why? Because for my hacker swing its a bees dick difference.

With the exception of the original Penta; it amuses me when people have a tanty, foam from the mouth and dry wrench at the thought of using a particular ball.

dc68
6th January 2013, 06:58 AM
Dry wrenching must be tough... Use some lube next time.

meh
6th January 2013, 07:17 AM
No. I use Pentas actually. Or whatever I found on the previous hole.

You can litter your posts with as many profanities you want - it doesn't add much to your argument.

How much do you buy your ProV1's for? I'm not getting bent over because I wouldn't buy a ball which is more than $35 a dozen. It's not worth it for my swing.

I would happily use any urethane covered ball to be honest. I don't even mind Titleist velocity balls. Why? Because for my hacker swing its a bees dick difference.

With the exception of the original Penta; it amuses me when people have a tanty, foam from the mouth and dry wrench at the thought of using a particular ball.

Hardly a tanty, just gave an opinion. I wasn't aware that you are allowed to give one but I am unable to, thanks for clearing that up.

As for an argument, the cover is not as durable, they don't go as far or spin as much as a pro v. Apart from that they are almost the same :roll:

Puji
6th January 2013, 09:40 AM
You didn't answer my question: how much do you pay for your ProV1's?

Ashes
6th January 2013, 09:55 AM
As for an argument, the cover is not as durable, they don't go as far or spin as much as a pro v. Apart from that they are almost the same :roll:

Maybe it's the golfer and not the ball?

meh
6th January 2013, 01:48 PM
Maybe it's the golfer and not the ball?

Are you seriously suggesting the pro v and the Nike are comparable?

Ashes
6th January 2013, 02:03 PM
Nope. Suggesting they may work better for some golfers. Just cos you don't like then doesn't mean much in the debate as to what is good or bad for pros.

Puji
6th January 2013, 04:46 PM
Well said Ashes. I would lean towards the golfer being the issue also.

I played well with Callaway Warbird plus today. Imagine if I used a ProV1!

Meh: how. Much. Do. You. Pay. For. A. Dozen. ProV1's?

Anyway this is terribly off topic.

The pros can play whatever ball they want and have whatever they want stamped on the cover.

meh
6th January 2013, 08:50 PM
Well said Ashes. I would lean towards the golfer being the issue also.

I played well with Callaway Warbird plus today. Imagine if I used a ProV1!

Meh: how. Much. Do. You. Pay. For. A. Dozen. ProV1's?

Anyway this is terribly off topic.

The pros can play whatever ball they want and have whatever they want stamped on the cover.

Here is what is annoying with people like you, you don't read!

I made a reasonably topic related statement that the balls are not as good as what Rory played. I never mentioned that I played and bought pro v balls, I only said that if you paid the amount you suggested they cost then you were being ripped off.

I'd like to know how many non nike staffers play the nike ball, I would be quietly confident there would not be many.

Puji
6th January 2013, 08:52 PM
My old pro shop has ProV1's for $64.99. You said that's a rip off so I was hoping you could be somewhat helpful and point me in a direction of a better deal.

You refuse to do so. Strange.

Meh.

meh
6th January 2013, 08:59 PM
My old pro shop has ProV1's for $64.99. You said that's a rip off so I was hoping you could be somewhat helpful and point me in a direction of a better deal.

You refuse to do so. Strange.

Meh.

Why? You said you wouldn't pay more than $35/ dozen for balls. Plus, you played great with a warbird.

Ashes
6th January 2013, 09:05 PM
Here is what is annoying with people like you, you don't read!I made a reasonably topic related statement that the balls are not as good as what Rory played. I never mentioned that I played and bought pro v balls, I only said that if you paid the amount you suggested they cost then you were being ripped off. I'd like to know how many non nike staffers play the nike ball, I would be quietly confident there would not be many. I'm sure Rory appreciates your concern. He's probably better placed to decide what is good or bad (for him) than any of us choppers.

meh
6th January 2013, 09:15 PM
I'm sure Rory appreciates your concern. He's probably better placed to decide what is good or bad (for him) than any of us choppers.

Sorry for having an opinion.

simmsy
6th January 2013, 09:16 PM
now you're just looking silly.

meh
6th January 2013, 09:23 PM

Oh, you must have me confused with someone who gives a shit what you think. At the end of the day they are inferior balls that aren't selling well even at discounted prices.

KristianJ
6th January 2013, 09:28 PM

Let's settle down a bit, guys...this whole tit for tat business is starting to look a little bit silly.

Puji
6th January 2013, 09:41 PM
Haha. How amusing. I am sure you pay close to $60 a dozen for ProV1's.

I owe you a thanks because its golfers like you who deposit brand new Premium pills in the rough while I'm looking for my warbirds :)

Anyway; that was amusing-

But before its announced how about we try and guess ROry's witb?

I doubt he will be using any Gear under tiger's VR brand. So there will be some new tech released with Rory's announcement I am sure!

He will probably use the covert driver. Everything else will be something new from Nike.

I imagine the VR range will be ditched entirely. Hard to see VR existing with whatever they release for Rory...

Thoughts?

3Puttpete
6th January 2013, 09:45 PM
Wouldn't Nike be better able to market stuff if Tiger and Rory are using the same gear?

meh
6th January 2013, 09:47 PM
Haha. How amusing. I am sure you pay close to $60 a dozen for ProV1's.

I owe you a thanks because its golfers like you who deposit brand new Premium pills in the rough while I'm looking for my warbirds :)

Anyway; that was amusing-

But before its announced how about we try and guess ROry's witb?

I doubt he will be using any Gear under tiger's VR brand. So there will be some new tech released with Rory's announcement I am sure!

He will probably use the covert driver. Everything else will be something new from Nike.

I imagine the VR range will be ditched entirely. Hard to see VR existing with whatever they release for Rory...

Thoughts?

If I lose a ball in the rough, it's staying lost as I look for the bloody thing for ages!

I like him and hope that he does well. More interested in the clothes as I liked his Oakley gear.

3Puttpete
10th January 2013, 02:50 PM
http://www.tourprogolfclubs.com/players/rory-mcilroy

Puji
10th January 2013, 05:01 PM
Wow!

If its true that Rors will use the VR line; I will be genuinely surprised.

It's a bit strange that the worlds #1 player is essentially using a brand of clubs designed by/ for the #3 player.

Everyone knows about the story behind VR - Victory Red - being that Tiger gets Victories when he wears Red on Sundays.

So I'm surprised (even if TW is Rory's childhood idol) that Rory will use the VR brand. I was expecting a new line of clubs from Nike to compliment the VR range. It would be a perfect marketing ploy; everyone will tune into the Rory Mcillroy/ Nike announcement so it's a great time to launch a new product!

Either way; v. Exciting.

timah!
10th January 2013, 05:05 PM
VR = doubtful.

Iain
10th January 2013, 05:06 PM
Why would they launch a second set of players irons? That would be crazy.

jaybam
10th January 2013, 05:09 PM
VR = doubtful. Back in your box mate. Go change some nappies or make some bottles but stay out of a golf thread. Your not qualified anymore. Ex ho you.

rubin
10th January 2013, 05:14 PM

agreed.

surely it makes sense to have a players club such as the VR line, in the professional players hands.

The VR meaning Victory Red and Tiger etc, etc, is no longer valid. Its now a line targeted at better players i.e TP in Taylormade.

Rory may well come out with his own apparel/footwear line though. That wont be surprising.

timah!
10th January 2013, 05:17 PM

Crazy as in offering a 23yo $250mill?
:D

rubin
10th January 2013, 05:24 PM
Crazy as in offering a 23yo $250mill?
:D

and short of wearing a suit - he has to be wearing Nike products in public.

jaybam
10th January 2013, 06:43 PM
and short of wearing a suit - he has to be wearing Nike products in public. I'm sure he could have that logo put onto whatever he is wearing. Wouldn't be hard I imagine.

Puji
10th January 2013, 07:26 PM
Errr... What are you guys on about VR doesn't mean "players" anymore. It's basically on every club nike make.

http://golfweek.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/croppedphotos/2012/01/19/NikeVRS_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf76130 05fe067

Do those irons look like players clubs?

No.

And don't tell me Victory Red isn't Tiger. That's almost like saying TW isn't Tiger.

And lastly: VR to Nike is not to TP to Taylormade. VR pro would be the closest to a TP equivalent.

Every single current model Nike golf club is branded VR.

rubin
10th January 2013, 07:36 PM
Errr... What are you guys on about VR doesn't mean "players" anymore. It's basically on every club nike make.

http://golfweek.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/croppedphotos/2012/01/19/NikeVRS_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf76130 05fe067

Do those irons look like players clubs?

No.

And don't tell me Victory Red isn't Tiger. That's almost like saying TW isn't Tiger.

And lastly: VR to Nike is not to TP to Taylormade. VR pro would be the closest to a TP equivalent.

Every single current model Nike golf club is branded VR.

you work for the government dont u?

Iain
10th January 2013, 07:41 PM
Errr... What are you guys on about VR doesn't mean "players" anymore. It's basically on every club nike make. http://golfweek.media.clients.ellingtoncms.com/img/croppedphotos/2012/01/19/NikeVRS_t640.jpg?a6ea3ebd4438a44b86d2e9c39ecf76130 05fe067Do those irons look like players clubs?No.Who said the VR line was only players clubs?

Puji
10th January 2013, 07:44 PM
agreed.

surely it makes sense to have a players club such as the VR line, in the professional players hands.

The VR meaning Victory Red and Tiger etc, etc, is no longer valid. Its now a line targeted at better players i.e TP in Taylormade.

Rory may well come out with his own apparel/footwear line though. That wont be surprising.

Rubin did. At least that's the way I interpreted his post.

Puji
10th January 2013, 07:46 PM
Unless Rory starts wearing red on Sundays also ;)

Then VR would be fitting.

razaar
10th January 2013, 08:46 PM
Now I will be up all night worrying what gear Rory will be using this year. As if I haven't got enough on my plate....what book to read, stubby, can or rum & coke or the lot. Should I go down with the lads to watch the Lake Macquarie International Amateur. Plus a heap of other important decisions. That Rory thingee is a worry though.

perci
10th January 2013, 09:43 PM
Now I will be up all night worrying what gear Rory will be using this year. As if I haven't got enough on my plate....what book to read, stubby, can or rum & coke or the lot. Should I go down with the lads to watch the Lake Macquarie International Amateur. Plus a heap of other important decisions. That Rory thingee is a worry though.

Just have a Pull and go to sleep Raz!

Puji
10th January 2013, 10:10 PM
Hahahaa. What a post!!!!

POTY nomination from me- and there's only been 10 days of it!

razaar
10th January 2013, 10:19 PM
Just have a Pull and go to sleep Raz!
Hahaha...

kiwitown
11th January 2013, 02:36 PM
here you go raazar

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rory%27s+new+nike+clubs&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CDsQqQIwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fblogs%2Fgolf-devil-ball-golf%2Fphotos-rory-mcilroy-nike-clubs-185528686--golf.html&ei=ZIjvULDsFo_FmQXL_oGYCA&usg=AFQjCNHH33w8C__hcCqeh5xwvkKzXV9VZw

razaar
11th January 2013, 03:25 PM
Thanks, now I can get on with life.:)

golf2013
14th January 2013, 07:49 PM
So how long to the big announcement?

3Puttpete
14th January 2013, 09:06 PM
$70k a day? Jebus,

sol381
15th January 2013, 07:59 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NCDYjHtEcU

Puji
15th January 2013, 08:22 AM
http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/65456_185357234813876_1363860_n.jpg

timah!
15th January 2013, 09:01 AM

"Is that your real hair?"

Gold.

virge666
15th January 2013, 09:05 AM

That just made breakfast go up my nose.

Awesome stuff.

Shane788
15th January 2013, 09:15 AM
Haha great video!

Ashes
15th January 2013, 09:22 AM
WITB details from GolfWRX:

http://www.golfwrx.com/63175/nike-announces-rory-mcilroy-sponsorship/

Driver:*Nike VR_S Covert Tour (10.5-degree, neutral setting) with*Mitsubishi Diamana prototype 70X*shaft
Fairway Woods: Nike VR Pro Limited Edition (15 and 19 degrees)
Long Irons:*VR Pro II Blades (3 iron through PW)
Wedges: Nike VR Pro (54 and 60 degrees)
Ball:*Nike 20XI X
Putter: Nike Method 006 Prototype
Apparel: Nike Golf Tour Performance Collection
Footwear: Nike Lunar Control

Rory doing the expected and saying he was blown away by the gear. Would there be pros out there using a different brand ball and having it relabeled with their sponsors logo?

Veefore
15th January 2013, 10:15 AM
No. Balls are the one item that do have to be approved before they can be used. Every conforming ball along with its identifying graphics is listed on the conforming balls list.

Even changing the little <> symbols on the seam of a ProV1 means that Titleist have to send the ball in four testing and approval.

Puji
15th January 2013, 10:21 AM
That's good info veefore. Could Nike make a specific ball for Rory, submit it for testing and just keep the same graphics as the regular commercial balls? Or do they need a distinguishing marking?

I guess the 20XI-X is good enough for Rory...

live4golf
15th January 2013, 10:33 AM
That's good info veefore. Could Nike make a specific ball for Rory, submit it for testing and just keep the same graphics as the regular commercial balls? Or do they need a distinguishing marking?

to be fair, Rory could use a Hot Dot and still shoot the lights out.

meh
15th January 2013, 10:33 AM

There is a new ball per thread on wrx. Maybe the new one is.

BGH
15th January 2013, 10:47 AM

They could. They made a not-for-retail ball for Tiger to use that had more spin than the regular 20XI. It had a star on it.

Puji
15th January 2013, 11:19 AM
Meh: I'm sure it's a ProV1 under the skin anyway! Why would anyone use anything else!

BGH: that makes sense: Virge was selling some diamond marked Nike balls recently. I loved them.

mrbluu
15th January 2013, 11:23 AM
Meh: I'm sure it's a ProV1 under the skin anyway! Why would anyone use anything else!

BGH: that makes sense: Virge was selling some diamond marked Nike balls recently. I loved them.

More than likely Nike has gotten online and got a bunch of the TP5 Practice balls and badged them for Rory!!!!

Puji
15th January 2013, 11:25 AM
Exactly. What would Nike know anyway!?

meh
15th January 2013, 11:42 AM
Exactly. What would Nike know anyway!?

Nike know plenty, you on the other hand, not much.

popper81
15th January 2013, 11:54 AM
Nike know plenty, you on the other hand, not much.

:lol:

rubin
15th January 2013, 11:58 AM
check out the video of Rory and Tiger doing all the shots. Quite funny.

Mububban
15th January 2013, 11:59 AM
Press conference snippets (terrible audio)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wkJ2d5TkX8

WITB

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0lhBrWifVM

rubin
15th January 2013, 12:05 PM
http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2013/01/rory-mcilroy-tiger-woods-nike-golf-ad.html

sol381
15th January 2013, 01:37 PM
if he comes out and wins his first tournament how many of those new covert drivers are they going to sell.

Puji
15th January 2013, 02:16 PM
A TRUCK load!!! Nike will profit big time from this deal! Even after the quarter billion it has out laid!

Even people who don't particularly like golf were talking about the deal and Rory at work today!

sol381
15th January 2013, 04:08 PM
they havent laid out that much yet... im sure it will be performance based....either way im sure they will recoup what they are going to pay him many times over.

Iain
15th January 2013, 04:13 PM
A TRUCK load!!! Nike will profit big time from this deal! Even after the quarter billion it has out laid!Even people who don't particularly like golf were talking about the deal and Rory at work today!Apparently it's only a 5 year deal, so it'd be nowhere near the $250M.

Lagerlover
15th January 2013, 07:58 PM
Probably already posted, but here's the new Rory and tiger ad...

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-first-nike-ad-with-rory-mcilroy-and-tiger-woods-2013-1

golf2013
15th January 2013, 08:06 PM
So who is sponsoring his bag?

Daves
15th January 2013, 08:09 PM
Possibly only Caroline will know the full extent/coverage of Nike branding that this deal encompasses!;)

razaar
15th January 2013, 08:14 PM
Will Nike be releasing mop head wigs?

ddasey
15th January 2013, 08:17 PM

It would strangely suit you.

razaar
15th January 2013, 08:42 PM
For $25 million a year they will need to market all of him. A mop wig is a selling commodity. Not so with Tiger, he has no hair.:)

Captain Nemo
15th January 2013, 10:10 PM
Probably already posted, but here's the new Rory and tiger ad...

http://www.businessinsider.com/heres-the-first-nike-ad-with-rory-mcilroy-and-tiger-woods-2013-1

Second video was better....:lol:

BayBum
16th January 2013, 08:17 AM
First reports were 200 + 50 in possible win bonuses. It would be interesting to know what the deal is for 5 years ? I actually expected it to be a longer deal tbh.

Puji
16th January 2013, 08:41 AM
If its $250M for 10 years, The only guess is it to be a little less than half for 5 years.

Whatever way you look at it, it's a lot of money. Whichever way you think about it; Nike will profit.

Dotty
16th January 2013, 09:44 AM
That's a lot of money to distract the punters from their strong association with Lance Armstrong.

Puji
16th January 2013, 11:26 AM
Good point, but I don't think many would associate the sham and disgrace that Armstrong is.

Nike got taken for a ride (pun intended) just like every other cycling fan ever did.

popper81
16th January 2013, 11:35 AM
but I don't think many would associate the sham and disgrace that Armstrong is.

Why not?

Puji
16th January 2013, 11:42 AM
Sorry: that was supposed to read:

"I don't think many would associate the sham and disgrace that Armstrong is with the Nike brand"

Why? Because nike wouldn't have known (just like the rest of the world) about Armatrongs doping. I don't know the details of the story- but my guess is that if you asked people whether they see Nike in a tainted light post the "truth", the majority would say no.

Just my opinion though.

TheAwesom1
16th January 2013, 11:53 AM
Are there many Nike Dealers in Australia. Only place i've seen nike is Golf World.

popper81
16th January 2013, 11:59 AM
Fair enough..... Seems strange to think people wouldn't associate nike/lance in light of his recent troubles.

3Puttpete
16th January 2013, 12:23 PM
Fair enough..... Seems strange to think people wouldn't associate nike/lance in light of his recent troubles. I think the association might be there but I don't know the public's relationship with a brand works that way. I think we see Nike and Lance as two brands. Will people abandon other brands and buy Nike golf BECAUSE Rory uses it or will Rory using Nike just be affirmation for an already existing leaning toward Nike?How many people binned their Nike gear when things got a bit dicey for Tiger? Maybe just the stuff with the TW logo in it.

popper81
16th January 2013, 01:30 PM
I think the association might be there but I don't know the public's relationship with a brand works that way. I think we see Nike and Lance as two brands. Will people abandon other brands and buy Nike golf BECAUSE Rory uses it or will Rory using Nike just be affirmation for an already existing leaning toward Nike?How many people binned their Nike gear when things got a bit dicey for Tiger? Maybe just the stuff with the TW logo in it.

I think that is pretty well documented that modern consumer closely associate brands with the people that represent them. Hence brands being quick to disassociate themselves from ambassadors that are in trouble, or no longer represent their values or beliefs.

Puji
16th January 2013, 02:28 PM
Good point.

Although; what are your thoughts about the timing of the whole thing.

Example: is there a difference between the following scenarios? And how does a consumers feelings/ associations differ with each situation?

A. Athlete is proven to have [insert negative act here]. Brand upon provision of the proof dumps athlete.

B. Athlete is strongly rumoured to have [insert negative act here]. Brand sticks with athlete claiming the allegations aren't proven.

C. Same as B, however Brand dumped athlete when the allegations were still rumoured.

Honest question.

And a question for those "in the know" about this situation, does either above scenario represent the lance Armstrong/ Nike story?

popper81
16th January 2013, 02:39 PM
That my friend, is the million $$$ question... I guess it depends on your future worth to the brand... and how much trouble you are causing the brand & it's other stakeholders.

For example:

Lance = Career over, very little future worth = Cut him loose, hang him out to dry.

Tiger = drama in the middle of career, still massive potential to provide substantial gain = Stand by your man.

Rory = clean cut, fantastic image = Throw the barn, the animals and all the neighbours animals at him. Make sure you get the lad to sign.

popper81
16th January 2013, 02:47 PM
Example: is there a difference between the following scenarios? And how does a consumers feelings/ associations differ with each situation?

A. Athlete is proven to have [insert negative act here]. Brand upon provision of the proof dumps athlete.

B. Athlete is strongly rumoured to have [insert negative act here]. Brand sticks with athlete claiming the allegations aren't proven.

C. Same as B, however Brand dumped athlete when the allegations were still rumoured.

I have no idea.... I am sure with a few hours research you could come up with some studies that would closely mirror the responses the public would show in these circumstances. Have a look and get back to me.

rubin
16th January 2013, 02:49 PM
That my friend, is the million $$$ question... I guess it depends on your future worth to the brand... and how much trouble you are causing the brand & it's other stakeholders.

For example:

Lance = Career over, very little future worth = Cut him loose, hang him out to dry.

Tiger = drama in the middle of career, still massive potential to provide substantial gain = Stand by your man.

Rory = clean cut, fantastic image = Throw the barn, the animals and all the neighbours animals at him. Make sure you get the lad to sign.

I think the reason why Nike hasn't ditched lance - yet - is that he isn't a competing athlete as such. sure he wants to do a few tri's, but he isn't the Centre stage, No.1 guy in his sport right now. I would hazard a guess and say that if this came out in the middle of his cycling career, and to the same extent that it has now, Nike would have dropped like a hot lead ball.

On top of that, the difference with Lance and Tiger, is that Lance's transgressions assisted him in his sport and he, for all intents and purposes, cheated to get it. Tigers was personal, and didn't necessarily affect what he did for Nike on a golf course. I don't think Nike's market share would have changed much after the Tiger-gate drama unfolded.

I do agree with you on Rory though. Couldn't really get a better spokesperson at the moment. Clean cut, young, intelligent and good at what he does. I would also suggest there is a big "Do Not F*** this up" clause in there....

3Puttpete
16th January 2013, 03:05 PM
I reckon Nike haven't ditched Lance is because he's a cyclist. It's acceptable in cycling.

Lagerlover
16th January 2013, 04:52 PM
I think the reason why Nike hasn't ditched lance - yet - is that he isn't a competing athlete as such. sure he wants to do a few tri's, but he isn't the Centre stage, No.1 guy in his sport right now. I would hazard a guess and say that if this came out in the middle of his cycling career, and to the same extent that it has now, Nike would have dropped like a hot lead ball.

On top of that, the difference with Lance and Tiger, is that Lance's transgressions assisted him in his sport and he, for all intents and purposes, cheated to get it. Tigers was personal, and didn't necessarily affect what he did for Nike on a golf course. I don't think Nike's market share would have changed much after the Tiger-gate drama unfolded.
L
I do agree with you on Rory though. Couldn't really get a better spokesperson at the moment. Clean cut, young, intelligent and good at what he does. I would also suggest there is a big "Do Not F*** this up" clause in there....

agree with you rubes.

timah!
16th January 2013, 04:55 PM
I'm fairly certain Nike HAS ditched Lance.

Betting odds for Wozniacki to end up at Nike in the next few seasons?

Lagerlover
16th January 2013, 04:58 PM

2 for 1

rubin
16th January 2013, 05:20 PM

apologies Timah, your correct. Nike no longer Sponsor Armstrong, they just continue to support the LiveStrong Foundation.

Bruce Dickinson
16th January 2013, 05:46 PM
just had a hit with the new VRS covert tour driver, very nice

3Puttpete
16th January 2013, 06:03 PM
apologies Timah, your correct. Nike no longer Sponsor Armstrong, they just continue to support the LiveStrong Foundation. You can add me to the standing corrected queue

Mububban
16th January 2013, 10:37 PM

Curly haired driver covers? :D

Are there many Nike Dealers in Australia. Only place i've seen nike is Golf World.

The Nike website has a list of Aussie distributors

http://ngaustralia.nike.com/dealerLocator.cfm

bergsey
16th January 2013, 11:53 PM
Nike have some good gear pity their distribution in Australia is crap! You can find TM/adidas everywhere in comparison

Puji
17th January 2013, 07:29 AM
Nike golf seems like it doesn't give a shit about the Australian market. Which is really frustrating.

BayBum
17th January 2013, 08:10 AM
It's old man brosnan I believe, He also has the distribution rights in OZ for Adams.

I asked about it at my local & the reply I got was "he doesn't give a rats ass & has no idea",pretty much. They would be lucky to get a visit from the distributors once a year so they dropped both nike & adams. BD may be able to fill us in abit more ?

virge666
17th January 2013, 08:32 AM
Yep,

That is what i have heard too.

mrbluu
17th January 2013, 08:42 AM
Nike golf seems like it doesn't give a shit about the Australian market. Which is really frustrating.

Does it matter, cos you buy online any ways.....

Bruce Dickinson
17th January 2013, 10:18 AM
Nike have some good gear pity their distribution in Australia is crap! You can find TM/adidas everywhere in comparison
bergsey
we've got a fair bit and getting more in now

bergsey
17th January 2013, 11:14 AM
Cheers BD

Captain Nemo
17th January 2013, 11:18 AM
!

sol381
17th January 2013, 11:30 AM
just saw those pics on facebook... those wedges look 5 years old. at least you can be guaranteed that driver isnt a 913 in disguise.

Ashes
17th January 2013, 12:05 PM
just saw those pics on facebook... those wedges look 5 years old. at least you can be guaranteed that driver isnt a 913 in disguise. How long do you think a pro keeps his wedges in play????

timah!
17th January 2013, 12:07 PM
More so how much do you think a pro's wedges get hammered each day...

popper81
17th January 2013, 12:09 PM
Didn't Mike say that Bowdo got a new set every week????

virge666
17th January 2013, 12:09 PM
How long do you think a pro keeps his wedges in play????

depends on the player.

Vijay is a new set each couple of weeks... So is Allenby.

Other's leave them

sms316
17th January 2013, 12:11 PM
depends on the player.

Vijay is a new set each couple of weeks... So is Allenby.

Other's leave them
We talking wedges or caddies here?

Captain Nemo
17th January 2013, 12:12 PM
Maybe Allenby should keep his longer, jat.

mike
17th January 2013, 02:14 PM
Didn't Mike say that Bowdo got a new set every week????Every two weeks.

Puji
17th January 2013, 02:37 PM
Does it matter, cos you buy online any ways.....

You seem to know more about me than I do.

I'll remember to consult you about what I would, or what I wouldn't do before I make my next decision.

But to entertain your tangential question: cause (lack of retail shops distributing Nike gear) and effect (seeking other avenues to get the desired product - online).

I have bought a 910D3, RBZ hybrid, TM ATV wedge and Method putter from retail stores.

markTHEblake
17th January 2013, 02:40 PM
Do Nike actually make their own gear now or are they still just branding someone else's?

Ashes
17th January 2013, 02:46 PM
Do Nike actually make their own gear now or are they still just branding someone else's?

I was under the impression hardly any brands make their own gear?

TheAwesom1
17th January 2013, 03:44 PM
Curly haired driver covers? :D

The Nike website has a list of Aussie distributors

http://ngaustralia.nike.com/dealerLocator.cfm

thanks

3Puttpete
17th January 2013, 07:46 PM
Not the best start for the big haired one

Puji
17th January 2013, 08:28 PM
That covert driver sounds sweet!

jaybam
17th January 2013, 08:31 PM
He seems to be struggling a bi but would still take his bad shots all day long and shoot those scores lol

sms316
17th January 2013, 08:47 PM
Geez these Euro commentators are as exciting as spending a week with the mother in law.

BayBum
17th January 2013, 09:13 PM
Tiger's scummy 100 yard duck hook off the tee was awesome !

Puji
17th January 2013, 09:30 PM
The one he topped, drop kicked? :D

sms316
17th January 2013, 10:08 PM
Did Rory make a mistake leaving Acushnet?

Captain Nemo
17th January 2013, 10:10 PM
Well he struggled with his driver and putter today, and they are his go to clubs.
His irons would be nearly identical to his old ones, driver and putter way different, that's what will kill him IMO......

Captain Nemo
17th January 2013, 10:11 PM
Geez these Euro commentators are as exciting as spending a week with the mother in law.
I could easily spend a nice week with my mil....
She's into horses and punting and deosnt mind a drink, what's not to like!:lol:

sms316
17th January 2013, 10:14 PM
I could easily spend a nice week with my mil....She's into horses and punting and deosnt mind a drink, what's not to like!:lol: My mother in law is a spook who should be looking up at the grass rather than down at it.

Puji
17th January 2013, 10:27 PM
My mother in law is a spook who should be looking up at the grass rather than down at it.

Hahaha! Gold!!

mrbluu
17th January 2013, 11:46 PM
Well he struggled with his driver and putter today, and they are his go to clubs.
His irons would be nearly identical to his old ones, driver and putter way different, that's what will kill him IMO......

I watched it today, and you can add the 3 wood, ball and wedges to that mix as well, I think he will be fine in the long run, but will take some time to adjust.

The commentators said that he was short of Tiger all day and they reckon that he was longer than Tiger when he had the Titty driver, but I remember when they played that match in China, Tiger was past him all day!!

TheAwesom1
18th January 2013, 10:51 AM

He looked terrible with the Driver last night.

BayBum
18th January 2013, 11:04 AM
It gives us all hope :)

Jackson
18th January 2013, 12:51 PM

Wasn't it Rory who duck hooked it? I saw him put one behind the grandstand and get a very generous drop.
Tigers was a dropkick top that didn't look like he made it over the womens tee.

As a beginner it made me feel slightly better about my game until I thought about it and realised that it if those guys are stuffing it off the tee what hope do I have?!

idgolfguy
18th January 2013, 12:55 PM
New club issues?
Only real difference would be the impact position on the club face. All the other parameters would be the same unless McIlroy wanted something different.

He is supposed to be better than that. However, Abu Dhabi is no different to any other poorer examples of his from last year or more.

It does highlight the effort that is needed to maintain the synchronisation required in his swing.

Not the type of player that can 'down tools' for a time and come back close to where he left off.

rubin
18th January 2013, 12:57 PM
I love it how every man and his dog is saying its the new clubs that made rory play like shit yesterday.

The guy has been hitting them since october last year, he's probably got his head around them
AND
75 is not a crap round. its only 3 over par, and he had worse rounds using the titlesit clubs anyway.

Jackson
18th January 2013, 01:25 PM
Its either the clubs or Carolines fault according to the media.
Hope he goes out today or tomorrow and kills it, will be interesing hearing the commentators backtracking.
Who is the aussie bloke that was commentating on skysports? He brought up the "caroline factor" every time Rory duffed a shot.

idgolfguy
18th January 2013, 02:37 PM
What would the media know? It's McIlroy's MO.

Plays like a hacker, relatively speaking. From sublime to almost ridiculous.

He can have a 12 shot swing between rounds.

Daves
18th January 2013, 02:47 PM
Rors body language was just awful. I can't remember the hole number, but it was a 177 yd par 3 into the wind, he hit the shot (4i I think) and almost immediately slumped into a wtf moment.