PDA

View Full Version : Tee shot from deck

Ashes
27th September 2012, 08:54 AM
I've been getting some grief from certain WAnkers about my approach from the tee, so thought I'd put it up for wider discussion and find out if I am indeed a freak,mor they're just winding me up ahead of champs.

Basically, I only use a tee when I pull the driver out. The rest of the time I use either a 3 wood or irons and hit off the deck.

I started doing this earlier in the year when I learnt I should be hitting down on the ball to get compression and generate spin. Off the deck I get more control with the 3 wood (must be hitting down slightly as I occasional take a divot after contact) and a more penetrating flight and distance, plus accuracy with the irons (particularly 4 and 5i). I don't think I'm losing much if any distance with the 3 wood.

So why use a tee for a 3 wood or irons? What do better players get from this approach?

Courty
27th September 2012, 08:58 AM
If that works best for you, then why change?

Give said WAnkers grief for not being good enough ball-strikers to hit it off the deck. ;)

Jarro
27th September 2012, 08:58 AM
I think the pros tee up for most tee shots (non driver) so they are assured of a perfectly flat lie.

Courty
27th September 2012, 09:00 AM
I think the pros tee up for most tee shots (non driver) so they are assured of a perfectly flat lie.

Exactly what I do & why, broken tees are best for this.

AusOdy
27th September 2012, 09:04 AM
tee up all the time just different height setup on different clubs

Dotty
27th September 2012, 09:05 AM
I like your logic and it works, so stay with it.

There's a lot to be said about minimising the variables across a game of golf.

ps. Plus you still have the option of teeing up slightly (5mm off the soil) in future, if your ability to hit par 3s goes haywire.

Ashes
27th September 2012, 09:08 AM
If that works best for you, then why change?

Give said WAnkers grief for not being good enough ball-strikers to hit it off the deck. ;)

Not necessarily looking to change, just want to understand why i'm odd. :)

Don't you lose compression and back spin though? I find I start hooking and slicing if I tee it up; although hitting off the deck raises the risk of hitting it fat occasionally.

Daves
27th September 2012, 09:11 AM
I think it was Jack Nicklaus that said "why not take the opportunity to have perfect lie".

Shadesy
27th September 2012, 09:20 AM
Ashes

1. One we are giving it heaps because its not the norm and a bit weird (am I doing it right). But it also worked so putting a bit of pressure on you to think differently :-)

2. I used to do the same on irons on par 3's but not I just tee it so the ball is just touching the ground. I also tee the 3 low as well. Basically refer to what Daves said above. I think he Nicklaus went on to say if he could tee it up all over the course he would as the tee is the only chance you get to give yourself the best lie.

3. Now I don't want to confuse you but with the 3, you should be "sweeping" up on the ball not "hitting down". Club head speed and loft will compress the ball for you. (Swing gurus please enter here). I am actually hitting 3 wood better as I have shallowed my AoA as I was hitting to steep into the ball.

The above points a reasons why not, your swing and results on Sunday is the reasons why. If its working leave it and take the shit... We all have a little nuances.

Jarro
27th September 2012, 09:29 AM
Don't you lose compression and back spin though? I find I start hooking and slicing if I tee it up; although hitting off the deck raises the risk of hitting it fat occasionally.

Not if you tee it up so that it's just above ground level.

PerryGroves
27th September 2012, 09:31 AM
Depending on the type of grass on the tee, good cover of couch for example, I don't use a tee, or will knock myself up a good lie. I don't cop any shit from the boys because another mate does the same thing with his two iron and hits it like a dart. Not sure on this sweeping/hitting down concept above, on shorter holes I like having the feeling I am swinging as I would from the fairway.

3 wood I would always tee up

Daves
27th September 2012, 09:34 AM
This is a good article on the subject;

http://www.swingsurgeon.com/daily-video-tips/golf-lesson-tee-or-not-tee-par-three

I buy the shortest wooden tees I can find. Cheap and easy to use.

LarryLong
27th September 2012, 09:46 AM
I don't think having the ball on the ground adds to the compression and backspin. I think the feeling of 'trapping' the ball against the ground is just that - a feeling that helps you feel like you're hitting down on the ball. Could be wrong though.

I can hit a driver off the deck quite well most of the time, but I prefer to tee up my irons and hybrids just a fraction above the grass. I figure that ensures that I'll get perfect contact on the ball without putting it high enough to miss the sweet spot. If I played a 3-wood I would do the same and happily cop it.

idgolfguy
27th September 2012, 09:50 AM
Everyone is saying the same thing. Whatever works for you. Try to get the best lie possible.
One ittle clarification to Shadesy's feedback: Sweep through, not up.

Moe Norman
27th September 2012, 09:53 AM
i used to do this for irons and hybrids, but never for 3 wood.

I then started using a tee for hybrid and now use a tee for irons as well.

I had a nasty habit of hooking it when using a tee, but I've learnt to control it a bit better now.

I do tee it extremely low though

muldude
27th September 2012, 09:54 AM
I kick up some turf on the tee for the 3 wood and use a broken tee for irons. not sure why......just works. if the tee is a bit bare i use a broken tee for the 3 wood, no difference at all just habit.

keep doing what you're doing i reckon.

razaar
27th September 2012, 10:10 AM
Using a tee should take the fat shot out of play. If the leading edge catches the ground before or during contact the big ball will affect the shot. The tee provide a margin of safety for a clean strike. The tee shouldn't make any difference to hitting down on the ball. The real difference is what the hands and clubhead do through the ball. If the hands stay ahead of the clubhead when the ball leaves the clubface it's all good. If the clubhead gains on the hands before the ball leaves the clubface not so good. That's why a forward movement of the hands together with a counter clockwise rotation of the left wrist past impact keeps the clubhead from opening and lifting prematurely. Tom Watson and Jim Furyk are examples of player who hit down on the ball and don't take a divot. A closed clubface at impact with the clubhead staying level well past impact along the plane line results in longer flight on a lower trajectory and more control.

BayBum
27th September 2012, 10:11 AM
Nicklaus also said there is less friction off a tee as there is off grass.

Do what you like mate, just get the ball in the hole with as fewer strokes as possible !

Ashes
27th September 2012, 10:17 AM
Thanks for all the responses and the link guys.

Ashes

1. One we are giving it heaps because its not the norm and a bit weird (am I doing it right). But it also worked so putting a bit of pressure on you to think differently :-)

2. I used to do the same on irons on par 3's but not I just tee it so the ball is just touching the ground. I also tee the 3 low as well. Basically refer to what Daves said above. I think he Nicklaus went on to say if he could tee it up all over the course he would as the tee is the only chance you get to give yourself the best lie.

3. Now I don't want to confuse you but with the 3, you should be "sweeping" up on the ball not "hitting down". Club head speed and loft will compress the ball for you. (Swing gurus please enter here). I am actually hitting 3 wood better as I have shallowed my AoA as I was hitting to steep into the ball.

The above points a reasons why not, your swing and results on Sunday is the reasons why. If its working leave it and take the shit... We all have a little nuances.

1. I don't have a problem with the banter at all Shadesy, and actually enjoy it (miss it from the cricket days) :) I reckon it helps me knuckle down and concentrate!

3. You guys can probably tell better than me, but I think I'm sweeping with the driver and 3 wood, but just with a slightly descending blow (the only reason I think I'm descending on it is the small divot I sometimes take). My swing plane is already pretty steep apparently, but I do make a conscious effort to flatten out and sweep the woods. Although doesn't Tiger Woods hit down on his 3 wood??

I don't think having the ball on the ground adds to the compression and backspin. I think the feeling of 'trapping' the ball against the ground is just that - a feeling that helps you feel like you're hitting down on the ball. Could be wrong though.

I'd say it is a mental thing for me. The feeling of trapping the ball is a new thing for me and I'm liking it. I think I must subcosnciously change something with my swing when I tee it up.

I had a nasty habit of hooking it when using a tee, but I've learnt to control it a bit better now.

This is my problem at the moment. Hitting off the deck seems to give me more control for some reason (probably a mental thing).

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2012, 10:41 AM
Do you hit a lot of fairways with this method?

Yossarian
27th September 2012, 10:44 AM
Thanks for all the responses and the link guys.

1. I don't ....

3. You ...

Did you always think you were on 100 when in reality it was only 50 odd?

jmitchell
27th September 2012, 10:44 AM
Honestly do whatever you feel comfortable with. If you go and stand by a par 3 tee during a tour event you will see perhaps 25% of players don't use a tee, some just kick up a little tuft and place the ball on there. I don't buy the whole perfect lie with a tee business, maybe if you are playing a course with tee blocks in poor condition you could make an argument for using one but in my opinion if the tee is closely mown and has a good grass cover then the only advantage to using a tee is mental (which is fine if it works for you).

The 3 wood is a bit different, I don't use a tee for any of my irons but I tee it up just slightly for my 3 wood, maybe a quarter of an inch but certainly no more. I doubt there would be anyone on tour that has a positive AoA for their 3 wood on a consistent basis, to hit a good fairway wood shot you still need to have a slightly negative AoA, don't be scared to take a divot either, plenty of top 100 players do (Tiger being the most obvious). Remember it's a control club, if you were looking only at maximum distance you might tee it up high but if you are trying to smash a 3 wood you have the wrong club in your hands in the first place. There are more than a few good players who don't tee up their fairway woods, some even hit driver off the deck (Laura Davies for example).

Hatchman
27th September 2012, 10:46 AM
If hitting it off the deck works, do what works. No room on the card for description & essays.

I'm a bit of a nutter in that 6 iron to wedges I will hit it off the deck and 5 iron and above off a tee be it teed very low.

Ashes
27th September 2012, 10:47 AM
Do you hit a lot of fairways with this method?

Yep, which is why I'm loathe to change at the moment (and that seems to be the common advice I'm getting).

I guess I was trying to understand why I'm not normal :)

idgolfguy
27th September 2012, 10:50 AM
Wrong thread for a philosophical discussion.

Ashes
27th September 2012, 10:53 AM
Did you always think you were on 100 when in reality it was only 50 odd?

You've lost me with this one Yoss - is it a cricket reference?

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2012, 11:00 AM
Yep, which is why I'm loathe to change at the moment (and that seems to be the common advice I'm getting). I guess I was trying to understand why I'm not normal :) If you hit a lot of fairways, keep doing it. With your stance, you should already be used to being different.Where do you lose all your strokes if you hit fairways, yet play off 22?

sms316
27th September 2012, 11:03 AM
Wanted: 1 interpreter. Must be able to translate WAnker dribble to 8 gentlemen from the east.

PerryGroves
27th September 2012, 11:07 AM

Wrong audience as well :lol:

Ashes
27th September 2012, 11:10 AM
If you hit a lot of fairways, keep doing it. With your stance, you should already be used to being different.Where do you lose all your strokes if you hit fairways, yet play off 22?

Consistency mainly, being a once a month golfer.

I'd say the worst parts of my game are putting, chipping and accuracy with irons approaching the green.

Yossarian
27th September 2012, 11:10 AM

Ignore me I see what happened, I thought you skipped a number but you were just responding to Shades. Ma Bad.

TourFit
27th September 2012, 11:12 AM

Completely the wrong FORUM!

Wanted: 1 interpreter. Must be able to translate WAnker dribble to 8 gentlemen from the east.

See you in a couple of weeks...:wink:

Shadesy
27th September 2012, 11:16 AM

Don't mind Yoss, he never gets past 25.

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2012, 11:17 AM
Consistency mainly, being a once a month golfer.I'd say the worst parts of my game are putting, chipping and accuracy with irons approaching the green. Sounds like you need to work on training your missus that golf is played weekly, at a minimum.

Ashes
27th September 2012, 11:29 AM
Sounds like you need to work on training your missus that golf is played weekly, at a minimum.

I thought you were already working on her (along with the rest of the Ozgolf WAGS)?

Jarro
27th September 2012, 11:34 AM
Teeing it lower should encourage a fade with the woods too shouldn't it ??

I have a short par 4 at Nudgee where i hit my 3 hybrid .... tee it really low to just above ground level, yet always hit a draw .... straight towards the piss !!!

virge666
27th September 2012, 11:43 AM
I always use a tee... the ball goes further and not chance of grass getting inbetween clubhead and ball.

chinaski
27th September 2012, 12:47 PM
I always use a tee... the ball goes further and not chance of grass getting inbetween clubhead and ball.

+1

sms316
27th September 2012, 12:49 PM
I always use a tee... the ball goes further and not chance of grass getting inbetween clubhead and ball. Sometimes I play a driver off the deck to get a flyer and get an extra 20m.

markTHEblake
27th September 2012, 01:07 PM
Without a tee the margin for error is smaller no matter how good the player.

virge666
27th September 2012, 01:12 PM
Sometimes I play a driver off the deck to get a flyer and get an extra 20m.

of which you lose 50m because the launch angle is 4 degrees lower.

:)

virge666
27th September 2012, 01:13 PM
Ashes . . it is a bloody stupid idea. Dont do it.

if you want the real answer - you can call me and we can discuss on teh phone... it comes down to club design and a few other things.

use a tee.

:)

Yossarian
27th September 2012, 01:13 PM

I love driver off the deck.

sms316
27th September 2012, 01:18 PM
of which you lose 50m because the launch angle is 4 degrees lower.:) I use my 18 degree driver.

virge666
27th September 2012, 01:30 PM

I love driver off the deck.

Got Photo's of the other 10 times you have done it ?

Yossarian
27th September 2012, 01:33 PM
Yes, but I left them in my other pants.

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2012, 06:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwiVaPmIAPo

Jarro
27th September 2012, 06:25 PM
Sounded like she hit that one fat

razaar
27th September 2012, 06:29 PM
Hit a 9-iron off a tee today for my 9th ace. It sucked back into the hole. First hole of our 9-hole Thursday NAGA comp. It was the tee that made all the difference.:)

Courty
27th September 2012, 06:31 PM
Hit a 9-iron off a tee today for my 9th ace. It sucked back into the hole. First hole of our 9-hole Thursday NAGA comp. It was the tee that made all the difference.:)

:mrgreen: Nice work, Ray!

Jarro
27th September 2012, 06:34 PM

Nice work Raymondo :)

Wasn't the 10th was it ?

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2012, 06:41 PM
Sounded like she hit that one fat

She hit everything fat!

Jarro
27th September 2012, 06:43 PM
She hit everything fat!

I see you see what i did there ;)

WBennett
27th September 2012, 06:43 PM
Use a tee for driver only, otherwise look for a nice and fluffy patch of grass to sit the ball on. Get the hooks when I tee it up

LarryLong
27th September 2012, 06:47 PM
Nice work Ray!

I would be very annoyed after 18 holes of watching Laura Davies faffing around making little divots for her to drive the ball off. That's ridiculous. Use a tee!

TheNuclearOne
27th September 2012, 06:50 PM
I see you see what i did there ;)

Well i was debating between posting that or "i see what you did there" lmfao!!!!!

ddasey
27th September 2012, 06:52 PM

:lol: Nice work Ray.

Wasn't on the 13th was it :wink:

Jarro
27th September 2012, 06:54 PM
Well i was debating between posting that or "i see what you did there" lmfao!!!!!

:lol:

:lol: Nice work Ray.

Wasn't on the 13th was it :wink:

:lol:

BenM
27th September 2012, 06:58 PM
Congratulations Ray. Beers are on you :D

Ashes, do whatever you feel comfortable with. If it works for you I don't see any compelling reason to change.

Personally I use broken tees for pretty much all my iron shots, and tee them low to the ground so they're just sitting up like a perfect lie on grass. My 3 wood gets teed just slightly higher and driver is a pretty regulation height (horizontal axis of the ball is about level with the top of the driver when it's resting on the turf).

Jack Nicklaus would think I'm wrong - he used to (probably still does, when he plays) tee his irons quite high. Personally I think if you do that you have to swing it differently from how you'd swing it if you were playing the same shot off the fairway, which in my mind is just over complicating things.

razaar
27th September 2012, 07:54 PM
Nice work Raymondo :)

Wasn't the 10th was it ?
'twas Jarro. My swing thought was keep the eternal triangle intact to the right leg. Worked great for the round.

Johnny Canuck
27th September 2012, 09:38 PM
19660I love driver off the deck. Too bad you hate putting. Solid par.

Webster
27th September 2012, 09:42 PM
When I hit my 3 wood off the tee I almost always just pinch up a bit of turf and place the ball on the top without a tee. I reckon it goes straighter, most of the time.