PDA

View Full Version : Cricket 2012/13

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Yossarian
26th September 2012, 06:07 PM
The warriors still suck.

AndyP
26th September 2012, 06:12 PM
I thought this thread would never start.

Jarro
26th September 2012, 06:36 PM
Bulls looking good again this year

sms316
26th September 2012, 06:40 PM
Bulls looking good again this year Don't you mean NSW A?

Jarro
26th September 2012, 06:42 PM
Don't you mean NSW A?

Not our fault your guys wanna play in a winning franchise.

Sydney Hacker
27th September 2012, 06:05 AM
Don't you mean NSW A? Pot/kettle?

sms316
27th September 2012, 07:00 AM
Pot/kettle? Ha! Forrest and Khawaja to start with. Wouldn't know who else, but I'll bet it outweighs how many Toads play for the Blues.

Sydney Hacker
27th September 2012, 07:05 AM
Watson is the last one left to see the light. It's not like the maggots gave imported much help recently, Katich, Hauritz, Watson and so on.

Perhaps if the state backed their youth the players would stay there?

sms316
27th September 2012, 07:18 AM
Shattered that Phil Hughes went to SA. At least Nic Maddinson won't cop any selection BS now.

Moe Norman
27th September 2012, 10:05 AM
O'Keefe, Watson, Neville, Hauritz all played for and even captained NSW recently. None are local...

TheAwesom1
27th September 2012, 10:16 AM
O'Keefe, Watson, Neville, Hauritz all played for and even captained NSW recently. None are local...

Don't forget Haddin:mrgreen:

South Australia is by far the worst.

Moe Norman
27th September 2012, 10:32 AM
Haddin is from country NSW

sms316
27th September 2012, 10:52 AM
Did Allan Border captain Qld to their first Shield (or was it Stuart Law)?

Sydney Hacker
27th September 2012, 11:06 AM
Law was the skipper.

popper81
27th September 2012, 11:35 AM
Bring in on.. There is nothing like watching cricket, half pisssed, in the german club across the road from the GABBA.... :)

Jarro
27th September 2012, 11:37 AM
Bring in on.. There is nothing like watching cricket, half pisssed, in the german club across the road from the GABBA.... :)

Spoken like a true Aussie 8)

TheAwesom1
27th September 2012, 11:47 AM
Haddin is from country NSW

Thought he was from ACT for some reason

sms316
27th September 2012, 12:20 PM
Thought he was from ACT for some reason
He's from Queanbeyan. Played with the Canberra Comets when they were in the Mercantile Mutual Cup. Like in most sports, the ACT is considered part of NSW.

Moe Norman
27th September 2012, 01:46 PM
Born in Nowra though

Yossarian
27th September 2012, 02:55 PM
Moses Henriques playing the dig of his life atm in Bankstown.

sms316
27th September 2012, 03:01 PM
Moses Henriques playing the dig of his life atm in Bankstown.
Bloody hell. What a scorecard!

graham_w
27th September 2012, 07:22 PM
Steve Smith - decent domestic player, cant seem to get it together as an international player.

Yossarian
29th September 2012, 09:17 PM
Is anyone at all interested in these 20/20's?

AndyP
29th September 2012, 09:48 PM
Only those who post in the old thread. I've heard a couple of people mention it.

Jarro
30th September 2012, 01:12 PM
Is anyone at all interested in these 20/20's?

Yep

Yossarian
30th September 2012, 08:06 PM
Cool. It is just so boring to me.

Warrior still suck.

Jarro
30th September 2012, 08:07 PM
It's not for the purists, but it's good entertainment all the same

Yossarian
30th September 2012, 08:08 PM
Mmm.

AndyP
30th September 2012, 08:09 PM
It's good if you don't think of it as cricket and love fireworks and music that is too loud.

Jarro
30th September 2012, 08:11 PM
You blokes are a bit harsh :roll:

TheAwesom1
30th September 2012, 08:11 PM
Looking at the Victoria v WA scorecard. The Vics bowling attack looks Awesome

Siddle
Pattinson
Hastings
Holland
with Mcdonald

LarryLong
30th September 2012, 09:07 PM
Not to mention the other Pattinson, and Jayde Herrick to come back. Maybe they should just give us the shield now?

20-20? I'm in the Yoss/Andy camp. It's a fairly pointless game, and I can't shake the suspicion that the players care about the result about as much as I do.

TheAwesom1
30th September 2012, 09:15 PM
Not to mention the other Pattinson, and Jayde Herrick to come back. Maybe they should just give us the shield now?

20-20? I'm in the Yoss/Andy camp. It's a fairly pointless game, and I can't shake the suspicion that the players care about the result about as much as I do.

Only issue i have with the Vics is the batting looks a bit weak. The bowling stocks are great.

I liked the T20 when it first came on to the scene a few games a year now its non stop. Prefer more Test Cricket

popper81
30th September 2012, 09:45 PM
Aussie's about to bat.... Shld be interesting ;)

Ashes
30th September 2012, 09:52 PM
There's too much cricket being played at the international level, full stop (except tests).

20/20 should be a club level thing, leave it to IPL etc.

Whoever came up with the idea of 2 test series should be shot.

I was a cricket tragic at one point and have now almost completely lost interest outside the Ashes and Aus v India series.

TheAwesom1
30th September 2012, 09:54 PM
There's too much cricket being played at the international level, full stop (except tests).

20/20 should be a club level thing, leave it to IPL etc.

Whoever came up with the idea of 2 test series should be shot.

I was a cricket tragic at one point and have now almost completely lost interest outside the Ashes and Aus v India series.

Ditto

Jarro
1st October 2012, 04:39 AM
Another MOM award for Shane Watson.

The man's on fire !!!

Yossarian
2nd October 2012, 03:28 PM
Hughes and Khawaja both make solid starts.

Everyones favourite ranga makes a ton. He can play.

Warriors still suck balls.

Jarro
2nd October 2012, 03:35 PM
Ben Cutting ..... what a champion !!

Yossarian
2nd October 2012, 03:36 PM
That is ridiculous. Siddle made big runs as well.

LarryLong
2nd October 2012, 03:44 PM
That is ridiculous. Siddle made big runs as well.

Siddle is close to Victoria's best batsman at the moment, apart from everybody's favourite ranga, of course. Average of nearly 34 from his last 8 first class games. Is there nothing that he can't do? :)

Yossarian
2nd October 2012, 03:44 PM
Swing the ball.

TheAwesom1
2nd October 2012, 05:28 PM
Vics are my tip for the shield this year. Qld to make the final also. Don't care for the one day cup or the big bash.

Bruce
3rd October 2012, 10:21 AM
Swing the ball.

Did you not watch the last series? Billy seems to have taught him a bit on that front.

Jarro
3rd October 2012, 11:02 AM
Did you not watch the last series? Billy seems to have taught him a bit on that front.

Yep .... they were moving it a lot more under Billys watch than they were with the previous coach.

popper81
3rd October 2012, 02:33 PM
Vics are my tip for the shield this year. Qld to make the final also. Don't care for the one day cup or the big bash.

That sounds good.... Qld seems to have recuited well, it will depend how the all blend together... I haven't seen much on the other states, but surely Tas will be strong again.

TheAwesom1
3rd October 2012, 04:13 PM
That sounds good.... Qld seems to have recuited well, it will depend how the all blend together... I haven't seen much on the other states, but surely Tas will be strong again.

Tipped Vics due the fact Pattinson and Siddle and Wade will be the only players missing this summer. They still have Dav Hussey and Clint Mckay and Glenn Maxwell and Cam White to come into the team. Plus Herrick who is a good bowler. Qld will not miss any players for Australia this summer except maybe Harris. Plus they bat right down the order. The bowlers can make tons.

popper81
3rd October 2012, 04:31 PM
Exaclty... Hartley has made 100 today, Cutting earlier in the match.. Good stuff!

TheAwesom1
3rd October 2012, 05:15 PM
Exaclty... Hartley has made 100 today, Cutting earlier in the match.. Good stuff!

The last few years the Qld lower order has been fantastic. Won game after game with the Bat.

Jarro
3rd October 2012, 05:47 PM
We'll go alright at the top of the order as well now that Usman is here

3oneday
3rd October 2012, 06:31 PM
Who did NSW actually keep?

LarryLong
3rd October 2012, 08:00 PM
Who did NSW actually keep?

Haddin. He's a keeper.

Yossarian
3rd October 2012, 08:02 PM

My post was slightly tongue in cheek. He still is quite gun barrel.

Jarro
4th October 2012, 01:51 PM
Go Bulls !!!!!!

popper81
6th October 2012, 09:12 AM
Aussies got belted last night... Anyone watch?

TheNuclearOne
6th October 2012, 09:49 AM

I saw all their innings and a few overs of ours. We were likely to be found out at some point, and unfortunately it was in our last two games. Tho we got flogged i cannot believe he bowled Doherty last over (not that it matters in the wash) when he'd already been hit a bit. Four 6's, a single and a wicket not that far short of 6. Tho they were awesome i'd have the Lankans as fave.

Jarro
6th October 2012, 11:22 AM

Yep, i stayed up and watched the whole nightmare unfold :roll:

Gayle was superb, but, we bowled crap to him (and the rest of the Windies batsman)

Dogherty was thrown the ball for the last over and went for 5 sixes !!

I really don't rate Bailey as a skipper either :(

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 01:03 AM
The Calypso's in a fair bit of bother at 2-16 off 6.2 overs and Gayle gawn.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 01:13 AM
Matthews 4 over 1-11, wow.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 01:15 AM
10 over, W.I. 2-32. Mighty cricket.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 01:26 AM
21 off Malinga - 13th over. That's the way it's gotta be now.A few like that mixed in.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 01:46 AM
Mendis 4 over 4-12. Malinga 0-44 off 3 lolol

TheAwesom1
8th October 2012, 11:47 AM
Finch and Quiney destroyed Queensland last night in the one dayer at the gabba. Would love to see Quiney get a chance in all forms this summer for Australia.

Jarro
8th October 2012, 11:49 AM
Finch and Quiney destroyed Queensland last night in the one dayer at the gabba. Would love to see Quiney get a chance in all forms this summer for Australia.

I watched that game.

QLD didn't bowl badly, but the Vics were simply awesome at the crease !!

Finch is a machine.

popper81
8th October 2012, 12:15 PM
Forgot that was on, I watched Bathurst all afternoon ( well truth be told, I slept through most of it). I saw a little bit of Finch last season, and was impressed.

NB - Good to see the girls get up in the T20 final. Ellyse Perry is my new hero.... ;)

TheAwesom1
8th October 2012, 12:46 PM
Remember watching Finch and Hodge tear the bulls up at the gabba in a one day game 2 years ago. The Vic batsmen love the gabba in One Day cricket.

popper81
8th October 2012, 12:57 PM
The Vics do.... Hodge in particular seems to score plenty, in all forms (well except ODI & Test :lol: ) Always plenty of niggle between the sides as well, they don't 'seem' to get along that well...

In general, the Bulls have looked a better side under Boof... I hope he hangs around.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 01:18 PM
I just hope like hell a few promising bats emerge to even quarter match our superlative stock of bowlers. Our bowling stocks looked utter crap then BAM! Siddle moved up a level, Hilf got rid of lingering injury to perform superbly, Pattinson, Cummins and Starc jumped out of the blocks and guys like Cutting and others are waiting in the wings. It was a huge step forward after Cutting, Starc and Pattinson all battled for spots in the Brisbane net sessions. I don't mind Lyon too.

I still think Cummins will carve it up given an extended time injury free and Starc is the sleeper. He's improved more than any of them since his first test, consistently swinging the ball sharply back in at rapid pace. He has a nice advantage being left arm with both pace and swing, not to mention height. I would not be surprised to see him turn into a bonafide star the next few seasons. He's also been the most durable of the young brigade and being left arm greates rough for Lyon bowling to right handers.

Ideally (and given a huge amount of ifs and buts) Cummins and Starc could potentially develop into the most dangerous new ball combination in the game in a few years.

Now, the search for batsmen.

TheAwesom1
8th October 2012, 02:47 PM
I just hope like hell a few promising bats emerge to even quarter match our superlative stock of bowlers. Our bowling stocks looked utter crap then BAM! Siddle moved up a level, Hilf got rid of lingering injury to perform superbly, Pattinson, Cummins and Starc jumped out of the blocks and guys like Cutting and others are waiting in the wings. It was a huge step forward after Cutting, Starc and Pattinson all battled for spots in the Brisbane net sessions. I don't mind Lyon too.

I still think Cummins will carve it up given an extended time injury free and Starc is the sleeper. He's improved more than any of them since his first test, consistently swinging the ball sharply back in at rapid pace. He has a nice advantage being left arm with both pace and swing, not to mention height. I would not be surprised to see him turn into a bonafide star the next few seasons. He's also been the most durable of the young brigade and being left arm greates rough for Lyon bowling to right handers.

Ideally (and given a huge amount of ifs and buts) Cummins and Starc could potentially develop into the most dangerous new ball combination in the game in a few years.

Now, the search for batsmen.

I would take Cutting over Starc and Cummins. However the depth of batting is terrible. W

Bruce
8th October 2012, 05:49 PM
I broadly agree. I see a bit of depth developed in the bowling stocks with genuine international level performances.

Batting is just so brittle though. I think the South African series might be a wakeup call. I suspect we will bowl well enough to an accomplished top 6 the jaarpies have, and can't wait to see Amla bat, but worry that we will get knocked over for less than 100.

Jarro
8th October 2012, 06:13 PM
Dale Steyn will obliterate us on our pitches.

I think Starc has huge potential though on the bowling front. He bowled very well in the T20 series.

He also offers that different angle being a lefty, and he can swing the ball !!

LarryLong
8th October 2012, 09:01 PM
Starc was a bit of a tease last time he fronted up for the test team. He started off with a couple of snorters in his first two overs that were unlucky not to get a wicket, then he bowled pies for the rest of the innings. Definite potential though.

As much as our bowlers have improved, I still think it's going to be a massive task to roll South Africa cheaply. Amla's the best in the game IMO, and Kallis and De Villiers are right up there too. Looking forward to seeing them tested out by the best bats going around.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 10:39 PM
I would take Cutting over Starc and Cummins. However the depth of batting is terrible. W

Cutting was unlucky to miss that Brissie test and carried an injury or two just after. The other two have now got a big jump on him. Cummins is the man for me, a can't miss.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 10:42 PM
I broadly agree. I see a bit of depth developed in the bowling stocks with genuine international level performances.

Batting is just so brittle though. I think the South African series might be a wakeup call. I suspect we will bowl well enough to an accomplished top 6 the jaarpies have, and can't wait to see Amla bat, but worry that we will get knocked over for less than 100.

Our batting will be severely tested that's for sure. Cowan and Warner will be worked over via a gameplan probably already forged in stone, Pontings age will make things difficult and others will struggle too.

This series it's time for Watson to step right up to the plate batting wise. He's had plenty of cricket now, time for him to fulfill his potential.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 10:43 PM
Dale Steyn will obliterate us on our pitches.

I think Starc has huge potential though on the bowling front. He bowled very well in the T20 series.

He also offers that different angle being a lefty, and he can swing the ball !!

Steyn has some very dangerous accomplices now too.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 10:45 PM
Starc was a bit of a tease last time he fronted up for the test team. He started off with a couple of snorters in his first two overs that were unlucky not to get a wicket, then he bowled pies for the rest of the innings. Definite potential though.

As much as our bowlers have improved, I still think it's going to be a massive task to roll South Africa cheaply. Amla's the best in the game IMO, and Kallis and De Villiers are right up there too. Looking forward to seeing them tested out by the best bats going around.

Good points. I think Starcs improved a fair bit even since his first test. Getting tests under the belt is the key now.

SA have such a formidable lineup don't they. They will be a lot lot tougher than India ended up being.

markTHEblake
8th October 2012, 10:58 PM
10 over, W.I. 2-32. Mighty cricket.

Mighty indeed, who would have thought that they could win from there.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 11:02 PM
Mighty indeed, who would have thought that they could win from there.

Not me at that stage. The commentators hinted the game was over at a very early stage. Who would have believed Sri Lanka would bat just as slowly. Fascinating game. Great determination and composure by the WI. First time they've beat Sri Lanka in T20.

Moe Norman
8th October 2012, 11:13 PM
Starc should play the opening test, his development in the past 12 months has been incredibly rapid. Will be interested if he can actually think and bowl to a plan once he gets a red ball at the top level.

If there is one weakness in the SA top order, it's a tendency to struggle against quality left arm quicks. Johnson destroyed them (when he was quality) they also had trouble in Zaheer Khan. Smith doesn't like the ball moving away from him late (not that any batsman does) and AB and Amla don't like the in swingers. Kallis is rock solid either way, but hasn't a great record on Aussie pitches.

TheNuclearOne
8th October 2012, 11:24 PM
Be a helluva fight for spots. Hilf, Siddle, Pattinson, Cummins and Starc into (probably) 3 spots. Be even more congested if Harris was fit. The first three had superb form vs India and Cummins rolled SA in one innings of his test. Nice headache to have.

TheAwesom1
9th October 2012, 12:18 AM
Cutting was unlucky to miss that Brissie test and carried an injury or two just after. The other two have now got a big jump on him. Cummins is the man for me, a can't miss.

Cummins and Pattinson are too injury prone to depend on atm.

TheNuclearOne
9th October 2012, 06:28 AM

Cuttings had some drama on that front too. It could be what sorts the order thru the upcoming series as it unfolds tho.

Jarro
9th October 2012, 09:15 AM

Which really puts the pressure on team management to make sure they don't get overbowled.

I'm a fan of resting players here and there, even though they won't want to .... but the benefits could be massive for Australian cricket.

All these potential superstar bowlers could have better careers if managed properly now.

Exciting times ahead.

popper81
9th October 2012, 10:07 AM
So, it is decided....? We bowl ok, but we really do bat poorly....

Options with the bat? Young talent, and let them flounder a bit for the greater good, long term. Or, somebody in the 29 - 32 yr bracket and try and cash in for a little bit?

I like the idea or feeding to the wolves..... Look what Cook for England has become, at one stage he looked young and vunerable, and maybe harshly, not cut out for it. Great turn around though.

Mububban
9th October 2012, 11:04 AM
The warriors still suck.

When I was a kid WA were the powerhouse. Now we suck. Hard. I'd have thought Lillee would have cracked the whip on team discipline etc, surely he'd have no problems getting respect from any young player?

rowey
9th October 2012, 11:18 AM
Has anyone read Darren Lehmann's comments on the Couriermail site........fair call I think

Yossarian
9th October 2012, 11:22 AM
I agree with him, are you really going to rest a bloke that has just take a 10/ the match. McGrath etal got by ok without resting. You pick the best side available IMO.

popper81
9th October 2012, 11:34 AM
Has anyone read Darren Lehmann's comments on the Couriermail site........fair call I think

Article is the back page headline over here...

Jarro
9th October 2012, 11:36 AM
He's right to a certain degree, but both Pattinson and Cummins have had bad injuries early in their careers.

It'd be silly to grind them into the ground so early on in the piece, especially when we have other options that are pretty handy players themselves.

Yossarian
9th October 2012, 11:39 AM
Maybe they get injured because they haven't bowled enough as kids.

Jarro
9th October 2012, 11:43 AM
Maybe that's the case, it's a fine line though.

I just hope our current management get the balance right

rowey
9th October 2012, 11:48 AM
Or maybe they bowled to much as kids, because they were the better bowlers when younger they were probably relied on by a lot of their coaches with out also developing their bodies to cope with the added preasure.

It is the same old thing when you see a good young player in any sport, they all want to look good from the Gym work but probably work the wrong areas??

TheAwesom1
9th October 2012, 12:03 PM
Looking at our Bowlers we do have alot of Depth

(In no order)
Siddle
Pattinson
Starc
Cummins
Cutting
Hastings (Has returned well from Injury)
Mckay
Harris
Faulkner
Hilfenhaus
Copeland
Hazlewood (He has potential)

Add in spinners like
Holland
Lyon
Krezja

Yossarian
9th October 2012, 12:17 PM
Or maybe they bowled to much as kids, because they were the better bowlers when younger they were probably relied on by a lot of their coaches with out also developing their bodies to cope with the added preasure.

It is the same old thing when you see a good young player in any sport, they all want to look good from the Gym work but probably work the wrong areas??

I don't know about other states but severe restrictions are put on junior bowlers. I know Mitch Marsh reckons one of the reasons he got injured a lot initially is because he had only been allowed to bowl 6 over spells as a kid.

rowey
9th October 2012, 12:26 PM
Not to sure with Cricket but I know with Rugby League they were looking at bringing in a rule that restricted junior players playing to much & getting burnt out.

I know of a few players when they were 14-16 yr old that were playing over 70 games a year.

popper81
9th October 2012, 12:27 PM
Looking at our Bowlers we do have alot of Depth

(In no order)
Siddle
Pattinson
Starc
Cummins
Cutting
Hastings (Has returned well from Injury)
Mckay
Harris
Faulkner
Hilfenhaus
Copeland
Hazlewood (He has potential)

Add in spinners like
Holland
Lyon
Krezja

People thoughts on Alister Mcdermott? I thought he bowled well towards the end of last year? Not suggesting he is a test bowler yet? Just wondering how people rate him?

TheAwesom1
9th October 2012, 12:34 PM
People thoughts on Alister Mcdermott? I thought he bowled well towards the end of last year? Not suggesting he is a test bowler yet? Just wondering how people rate him?

Should be in the Australian Squad One day and T20 teams.

Moe Norman
9th October 2012, 12:35 PM
Popper,

McDermott has more potential than many of the names on that list. Can seriously bowl.

Has always had the ability and talent, but when he first started playing at the top level he was just too slow. Was struggling to generate pace north of 115km/h.

Now he has built his frame up a bit and can get it north of 130, he is a serious handful because he really knows how to build a plan to get blokes out. Some of his spells late last year where outstanding the way he was setting quality players up.

Our batting is a massive concern, but for me I think we remain status quo until players put their hands up and TAKE a spot. We don't gift them. Luckily we have some seriously quality pace bowling in the state ranks now, so they are tested at that level and we can assume the runs scored are good runs against good bowlers.

Brief look at Hughes playing for SA the other day. He appears to have completely rebuilt his technique and played very well, in addition to dominating the County comp in England in the last 6 months as well. Kawajha played well for QLD too, so its not complete curtains. Some talent about, they just need to out their heads down and do the work.

popper81
9th October 2012, 12:51 PM
In my eyes, his bowling at the death of limited overs, in tight situations was outstanding.... Towards the end of the season, it was his spells that kept us in games. It is good others share the view. The surname is renowned in QLD, this state loves to push though a prodical son early (not just cricket) though. I was wondering if I had entered into the hype.... He has been talked about in cricket circles since he was early teens. Hope he stays injury free, and plays for QLD for while yet.

Jarro
9th October 2012, 01:03 PM
In my eyes, his bowling at the death of limited overs, in tight situations was outstanding.... Towards the end of the season, it was his spells that kept us in games. It is good others share the view. The surname is renowned in QLD, this state loves to push though a prodical son early (not just cricket) though. I was wondering if I had entered into the hype.... He has been talked about in cricket circles since he was early teens. Hope he stays injury free, and plays for QLD for while yet.

That will be the key, as it is with every fast bowler.

McDermott is a real talent, and hopefully gets a chance to show it on the bigger stage soon enough.

Moe Norman
9th October 2012, 02:53 PM
I watch him at club level a bit, and he just works people over.

Even when he was playing first grade back in his teens and was basically gentle medium pace, he was removing some of the best grade batsman via little 3 over spells with great variation and plans.

I went down and watched him in a Grade game at Wests last season on a bit of a green top and I geneuinely felt sorry for the blokes playing for Wests. It was like a man amongst boys, he was too quick, too smart and just too good.

Bruce
9th October 2012, 03:12 PM
His old man started as a tearaway quick who turned into a smart operator. Imagine having access to those insights growing up into a cricketer.

There will come a day when Brett Lee is thrown up as candidate to be the Aussie bowling coach. I may need to prepare for that day by finding a high powered rifle and a vantage point within range Jolimont St. Light tower 6 might be the best spot.

kingslayer33
9th October 2012, 05:24 PM
There will come a day when Brett Lee is thrown up as candidate to be the Aussie bowling coach. I may need to prepare for that day by finding a high powered rifle and a vantage point within range Jolimont St. Light tower 6 might be the best spot. If you need a spotter Bruce ...

Moe Norman
9th October 2012, 06:05 PM
you blokes would want to get there early, I reckon it could be a firing squad.

As far as the spotter goes Kingy, just look for the bloke

a) doing homoerotic heal clicks
b) ding the chainsaw
c) playing the pokies

AndyP
9th October 2012, 06:18 PM
I'm a fan of resting players here and there, even though they won't want to .Like not playing as many ODIs, and international and domestic T20s. Of course, that's not going to happen.

Jarro
9th October 2012, 06:22 PM
Like not playing as many ODIs, and international and domestic T20s. Of course, that's not going to happen.

Maybe they could treat these games as 'training' games for the Tests ? Throw the young up'n'comers in to play these ??

popper81
9th October 2012, 06:50 PM
Maybe they could treat these games as 'training' games for the Tests ? Throw the young up'n'comers in to play these ??

People don't pay the $$$$$ to sponsor, watch or advertise during these game for that.... Maybe they should do what they do in the NHL... Have a strike every 7 years.. Plenty of rest!

Moe Norman
10th October 2012, 04:13 PM
QLD all out for 149, with Pattinson & Siddle bowling beautifully to do the top order damage and Hastings cleaning up tale.

Vic's now 2-11 with McDermott 2-5 from 3 overs removing Rogers & Quiney so far.

Jarro
10th October 2012, 04:20 PM
Well we knew our bowling stocks were ok, what about the batting though :roll:

Sydney Hacker
10th October 2012, 04:20 PM
Looking at Pontings batting chart for the Tassie vs Sth Aust game. It would appear that the crow eaters tried to give him a bit of short stuff... to no avail.

Moe Norman
10th October 2012, 04:29 PM
he was smashing Nathan Lyon for at least 5 of his 7 sixes, wasn't that much short stuff

TheNuclearOne
10th October 2012, 06:04 PM
Vics 6-69 with Cutting in on the action too.

Webster
11th October 2012, 08:50 AM
Healy calling for Haddin to come back into the Test team as keeper...ffs the guy is finished...Wade a much better long term option from here after proving himself in the WI.

Jarro
11th October 2012, 08:53 AM
Agree totally Jack.

I can't see Haddin coming back now, and really ... i can't understand why Healy thinks he should ??

sms316
11th October 2012, 08:55 AM
Hadds is a certainty.

Jarro
11th October 2012, 08:56 AM
He's history

sms316
11th October 2012, 08:59 AM
Wanna bet?

Jarro
11th October 2012, 09:01 AM
Why would/should he come back when Wade has been doing a more than capable job ?

sms316
11th October 2012, 09:02 AM
Because Clarke wants him there.

Webster
11th October 2012, 09:12 AM
If Haddin had good form before the WI tour, then he would have a strong case for coming back in. But he has been ordinary with both the gloves and the bat for a long time now.

But like sms says, if Clarke wants him in the team then that might be enough to get him over the line. Complete joke.

Healy was the same - played on for two seasons too many and was really a liability at the end. He also stopped us from enjoying that bloke called Gilchrist for a couple of years more which was a tragedy.

Moe Norman
11th October 2012, 02:16 PM
Wade's keeping was poor in the WI.

Hartley should be the front runner, but Haddin will play the first test.

chappy1970
11th October 2012, 02:29 PM
Vics get the 1st innings points, 50's for both Siddle and Wade....yippee.

If Clarke requests the return of Haddin to take the gloves and it gets through, I will not watch the Aussie's play one game of cricket this summer....

sms316
11th October 2012, 02:50 PM
I'm pretty certain that Mickey Arthur is on record as backing Haddin as well.

Don't be surprised if Wade never plays another test. Once Tim Payne is fit and firing he will be next in.

popper81
11th October 2012, 02:51 PM
Hartly would not let anyone down.... IF Haddin gets picked of for the first test, he won't last the summer.

Jarro
11th October 2012, 03:17 PM
Wade's keeping was poor in the WI.

Hartley should be the front runner, but Haddin will play the first test.

And Haddins was any better before he left the side ?? He was terrible !!

Wade offers more to the side IMO and i hope he keeps the gig.

AndyP
11th October 2012, 03:18 PM
Wade can go and play in the sixes tournament for Australia with Brad Hodge.

TheAwesom1
11th October 2012, 03:32 PM
If Wade gets dropped for Haddin. I will support Sth Africa this Summer. It will prove Cricket Australia is all about New South Wales. Haddin should've been gone ages ago. Tim Paine is average at best. The only guy who should be talked about for the Wicket Keep spot in the Team outside of Wade is Hartley.

Nuffie
11th October 2012, 04:05 PM
They need to stick with Wade. Give the guy an opportunity in a series here at home.

I agree that Haddin is done, too old. Wade is at the age to look at and needs more tests to prove himself and settle.

It may only take one or two matches this summer where things go his way - for him to settle as keeper.

Moe Norman
11th October 2012, 04:07 PM
Tim Paine is far from average, but he should get through at least half a season and put some form on the board before consideration.

If Tassie keep making 3-400, it could be hard for him to prove anyhing with the bat.

Hartley would be my man, Wade was extremely unimpressive with the gloves in the Windies.

Moe Norman
11th October 2012, 04:09 PM
And Haddins was any better before he left the side ?? He was terrible !!

Wade offers more to the side IMO and i hope he keeps the gig.

Nope his keeping wasn't better, but it wasn't worse either.

Wade had the chance to take Haddin's spot, and he failed. Only has himself to blame.

Webster
11th October 2012, 04:14 PM
Wade was extremely unimpressive with the gloves in the Windies.

In what way Thommo?

Nuffie
11th October 2012, 04:19 PM
Haddin also got out to rash shots a bit when he was younger after making a start, when he looked like going on (and around Wade's age).

He matured as a batsman as he got older, and around when Gilchrist was nearly done. If the keeping ability of Wade/Haddin is about the same, I'd be sticking with Wade.

If he doesn't put his hand up this summer at home, and in front of his crowd during a boxing day test, then I'd be casting doubts over his ability and start looking at either a Payne or Hartley. The Windies was a big learning curve for Wade. Maybe the conditions were a bit different there too. I would give him another go on our wickets this summer.

Moe Norman
11th October 2012, 05:36 PM
In what way Thommo?
Same way any keeper is unimpressive.

Untidy on regulation takes, let a few very simple byes throuhgh, particularly off Lyon and missed some chances he should have taken.

Granted, conditions weren't ideal for a keeper - but he was very sloppy

TheNuclearOne
11th October 2012, 05:42 PM
They need to stick with Wade. Give the guy an opportunity in a series here at home.

I agree that Haddin is done, too old. Wade is at the age to look at and needs more tests to prove himself and settle.

It may only take one or two matches this summer where things go his way - for him to settle as keeper.

Some good points there. Wade's extra reliability with the bat will hold him in good stead when both our batting is suspect we are facing a top line attack. We're pumping some young bowlers thru and will likely have a couple of old timers in our batting line up so i'd like to see youth first on this one. I sure won't be boycotting if Haddin gets a bang tho. If Wade doesn't fire slip in Hartley eventually.

sms316
12th October 2012, 05:43 PM
Go Bulls!

Jarro
12th October 2012, 05:46 PM
Oh dear :(

Bruce
12th October 2012, 08:38 PM
Vics need to get points on the board now as we might have a weakened side once the tests start. Surely Pattinson will join Sizz and House in the first test after today.

Even Rod Marsh had an ordinary early tour, Wade can have first crack at the summer.

I want to hear some loud knocks on the door by SS batsmen that think they can be internationals. The time is now fellas!

rowey
12th October 2012, 10:01 PM
For some players it is harder to get out of the Aussie cricket team than it is to get in.

kingslayer33
12th October 2012, 10:19 PM
Pretty good performance by the tigers against the perennial whipping boys (bloody hell it feels good to say that about a team that isn't mine). 20 wickets and the croweaters still couldn't match our 3 down score. And we have a few to come back in that were in SL too.

TheNuclearOne
13th October 2012, 09:21 AM
NATIONAL selection boss John Inverarity believes the Twenty20 Champions League is compromising Australia's first Test preparation against South Africa, while revealing Brad Haddin's position as incumbent Test keeper will be decided within days. However, struggling off-spinner Nathan Lyon appears safe for the first Test against the Proteas and paceman Mitchell Starc's stocks for a Gabba call-up have soared dramatically after impressing for Yorkshire and on limited overs duty for Australia.

Haddin, 35 this month, made way for understudy Matthew Wade on the Test tour of the West Indies (http://www.news.com.au/sport/cricket/haddin-to-return-home-from-windies/story-fn67wv6z-1226301229348) in April for family reasons.
However, Wade cracked a maiden ton in the third Test at Roseau and 89 for Victoria this week - clouding the choice to go back to 43-Test keeper Haddin.
"We will be talking together on the wicketkeeping next week and that (incumbency) is one of the things we will be discussing," Inverarity said of the dilemma he and his fellow selection panel are facing.

BrisWesty
13th October 2012, 09:41 AM
Apparently only 5 of the Australian players on contracts are batsmen. That ought to give a pretty good idea of who will be playing in the top order.

Scary off topic issue. In a 20 year career, Mark Ramprakash played 52 tests for England and averaged less than 28 in tests. He averaged over 50 in first class cricket and hit 114 centuries! (These days, when averaging 50 is kind of like averaging 40 in the 1980s against the WI etc, how could someone play that many tests, for so low an average! - Guess he made it impossible to keep out on weight of runs and difficult to keep in on deficit of runs.)

Daves
13th October 2012, 09:45 AM
Apparently only 5 of the Australian players on contracts are batsmen. That ought to give a pretty good idea of who will be playing in the top order.

Scary off topic issue. In a 20 year career, Mark Ramprakash played 52 tests for England and averaged less than 28 in tests. He averaged over 50 in first class cricket and hit 114 centuries! (These days, when averaging 50 is kind of like averaging 40 in the 1980s against the WI etc, how could someone play that many tests, for so low an average! - Guess he made it impossible to keep out on weight of runs and difficult to keep in on deficit of runs.)

Perhaps reflected the quality of the English batting line up for some of the time as well.

BrisWesty
13th October 2012, 04:06 PM
Perhaps reflected the quality of the English batting line up for some of the time as well.

True! Another example - Graeme Hick 65 tests - averaged just over 31, with 6 100s and 18 50s. Averaged 52 in first class cricket and hit 134 centuries.

65 tests. 20 years before that you had to be a giant of the game to play that many tests!

Hamo84
15th October 2012, 11:20 AM
http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/wicketkeeper-brad-haddins-test-career-looks-finished-with-selectors-set-to-stick-with-matthew-wade/story-fn2mcu3x-1226496021233

hope this turns out to be the case, I dont believe picking Haddin is in the best interests of current and future test series

Jarro
15th October 2012, 12:09 PM
Wade is the future ....

Moe Norman
15th October 2012, 12:43 PM
Wade is the future ....

Brad Haddin...

Hamo84
15th October 2012, 01:05 PM
Wade is the future ....

Spot on

Brad Haddin...

Will make an excellent Shield and Ryobi Cup player for NSW

Moe Norman
15th October 2012, 05:56 PM
i wasn't advocating Haddin, I was saying that Wade is the future Brad Haddin.

If we don't want to be whining about our keeper again in 2 years time, I think we should go in a different direction.

popper81
15th October 2012, 06:06 PM
Spot onWill make an excellent Shield and Ryobi Cup player for NSW Hahaha... Gold!

Jarro
15th October 2012, 06:34 PM
Tim Paine is back on the domestic scene too.

I wonder where he stands in the scheme of things ?

Moe Norman
15th October 2012, 08:42 PM
Think he needs to put in a summers worth of form to be considered.

Hartley should be in

TheNuclearOne
15th October 2012, 10:41 PM
Tim Paine is back on the domestic scene too.

I wonder where he stands in the scheme of things ?

Missed the boat now i'd reckon, barring truly exceptional performances.

Jarro
16th October 2012, 04:12 AM
Missed the boat now i'd reckon, barring truly exceptional performances.

Yeah you're probably right.

Shame too, he's a great player .... and someone who they might have considered for the captaincy role in the future.

TheNuclearOne
16th October 2012, 06:29 AM
Talk of a four pronged pace attack for the tests.

Moe Norman
16th October 2012, 10:01 AM
No way has he missed the boat, he is younger than Haddin or Gilly were when they debuted!

TheNuclearOne
16th October 2012, 07:48 PM
No way has he missed the boat, he is younger than Haddin or Gilly were when they debuted!

He's certainly missed it for now. He's be third in line, possibly worse. Others have leapt ahead of him.

Moe Norman
16th October 2012, 09:12 PM
Only one youngster is ahead of him, and that's only because he was injured.

Selectors have never looked twice at Harltey and he is 30 now..

If he plays to his capabilities, he could be our starting keeper on the indian tour.

TheNuclearOne
16th October 2012, 10:31 PM
He's third in line as of now at best. Well, we know it was out of Wade and Haddin. They've invested quite a bit in Wade now and he will only have to perform reasonably well to entrench himself at a guess. He's definately got first right of refusal, if he goes great it's all over for now. Paine's advantage is that they earmarked him hard, and as the future captain to boot. It will be interesting to watch Wade with Paine breathing down his neck if he finds form.

I think Wade is a bit overrated in the keeping stakes as well, but that's not to say he can't take a couple of good leaps forward.

Sydney Hacker
18th October 2012, 02:07 PM
Tugga has lost it....

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/steve-waugh-says-australia-could-choose-brad-haddin-as-a-specialist-batsman-against-south-africa/story-fn2mcu3x-1226498542245

Webster
18th October 2012, 02:21 PM
Funny stuff indeed.

Jarro
18th October 2012, 02:37 PM
No chance that'll happen

Bruce
18th October 2012, 02:46 PM
Is it a Sydney thing to pick and stick, no matter what?

"I want my mate in the team based on things that happened in the past" - is what both Clarke and Waugh have said about Haddin recently.

Yossarian
18th October 2012, 03:12 PM
Tugga has lost it....

http://www.foxsports.com.au/cricket/australia/steve-waugh-says-australia-could-choose-brad-haddin-as-a-specialist-batsman-against-south-africa/story-fn2mcu3x-1226498542245

A couple of years ago maybe. Even then...

LarryLong
18th October 2012, 05:19 PM
Tugga has lost it....

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv280/AngeloGotti/donotwantis3.jpg

TheNuclearOne
18th October 2012, 06:34 PM
What it highlights is how ordinary our batting stocks are.

Jarro
18th October 2012, 07:24 PM
What it highlights is how ordinary our batting stocks are.

At Test level ... yes :(

TheNuclearOne
18th October 2012, 07:44 PM
At Test level ... yes :(

Love ya avatar!

Webster
18th October 2012, 07:45 PM
Is it a Sydney thing to pick and stick, no matter what?

"I want my mate in the team based on things that happened in the past" - is what both Clarke and Waugh have said about Haddin recently.

Wade plays for Victoria.

Jarro
18th October 2012, 07:47 PM
Love ya avatar!

Me too :mrgreen:

Jarro
18th October 2012, 07:48 PM
Wade plays for Victoria.

That's why there's a chance he'll get the flick.

sms316
18th October 2012, 11:18 PM
That's why there's a chance he'll get the flick. For Dan Smith?

Moe Norman
19th October 2012, 10:17 AM
Tugga has lost it....

ridiculous suggestion, but then again - statistically he is a shitload better than most of the young contenders and rolled out a century in his first shield match this year on a tough wicket.

still stupid though

Bruce
19th October 2012, 12:27 PM
Haddin averaged 30 in his last 16 tests over 2 years or so.

Mediocre numbers to play as a bat - so why the hell aren't there kids bashing the door down with mountains of runs!!

Jamie Siddons must cry and wonder why he was born 20 years too early.

Moe Norman
19th October 2012, 12:53 PM
the sad bit is Bruce, Shaun Marsh averages about 35 at first class level and got a game at 1st drop for a whole summer!

TheNuclearOne
19th October 2012, 03:05 PM
Jamie Siddons must cry and wonder why he was born 20 years too early.

He'd sure be half handy now, and how about Stuart Law and Martin Love?

TheAwesom1
19th October 2012, 05:17 PM
He'd sure be half handy now, and how about Stuart Law and Martin Love?

Brad Hodge says Hello

Same with David Hussey and Phil Jaques

Moe Norman
19th October 2012, 05:23 PM
The list is extensive and sad. The amount of quality players than played bugger all international cricket is amazing, compared to the crap available now.

Love, Law, Lehmann, Hodge, Siddons, DiVenuto, Blewett, D.Hussey etc etc Even guys like Langer & Martyn had 5 year spells dominating the shield.

Webster
19th October 2012, 05:30 PM
If you believe there is any merit in what Waugh said, and they instead choose Haddon as the keeper, then Wade must play as a batsman. His Test form with the bat secures his place.

Shadesy
19th October 2012, 05:38 PM
Jimmy Maher went alright

TheAwesom1
19th October 2012, 06:38 PM
the current Victorian Shield 11 is just about better then the Aus Test team. Only 2 player average under 40 and One of them has been Great for the last 2 years. The Bowling Attack is world class. Siddle Pattinson Mckay Hastings Holland.

Bruce
19th October 2012, 07:18 PM
The list is extensive and sad. The amount of quality players than played bugger all international cricket is amazing, compared to the crap available now.

Love, Law, Lehmann, Hodge, Siddons, DiVenuto, Blewett, D.Hussey etc etc Even guys like Langer & Martyn had 5 year spells dominating the shield.

God that list is depressing and damning. Which Shield players are any of us going to remember in 10 years time other than as unfulfilled promise? SHOW ME THE RUNS!!

TheAwesom1
19th October 2012, 07:23 PM
Hayden Dominated for years aswell before he got another chance.

Bruce
19th October 2012, 07:40 PM
I got so riled up I had to dig.

Martin Love 17000 first class runs at just under 50 and 5 tests averaging 46.6
Stuart Law 27000 @ 50.5. One test innings 54*
Darren Lehmann 26000 @ 57.8 1800 test runs @ 45
Brad Hodge 17000 @ 48.8 11 test innings @ 55.8
Jamie Siddons 11000 @ 44.9 No tests
Michael DiVenuto 25000 @ 45.9 No tests
Greg Blewett 17000 @ 44.5 2550 test runs @ 34 and I rate him ahead of anything I see on the radar for selection.
David Hussey 12000 @ 54.6 No tests

Those blokes have piled up 150000 first class runs and been selected for a total of about 25 tests.
Get me a time machine!!

LarryLong
19th October 2012, 09:10 PM
Not to mention Michael Bevan. Sure, he didn't last on the test scene at first because of the short ball weakness, but I reckon he sorted that out after a while but never got a look in again. A gazillion runs at around 57.

I was a massive Greg Blewett fan. He could turn up, play one hook shot for four and get bowled the next ball and it would be worth the price of admission.

Even guys like Dene Hills would be handy to have around right about now.

Ashes
19th October 2012, 09:21 PM
Agree that Bevan would have been a great test cricketer if he was given the chance. The things he could do were just amazing.

Webster
19th October 2012, 09:40 PM
He had plenty of chances ( he was from NSW after all) but was found out by the short ball. Not a Test player, but a great ODI player.

TheAwesom1
19th October 2012, 09:49 PM
Think Mike Hussey was 30 or 31 something crazy like that when he got his chance. Same with Hodge.

Ashes
19th October 2012, 10:00 PM
He had plenty of chances ( he was from NSW after all) but was found out by the short ball. Not a Test player, but a great ODI player. That suspect to bouncers thing was a media beat up. He played the short ball fine in onedayers (even after they were allowed) and at shield level against quality pace. If they'd gone back to him I reckon he would have killed it.He would have been handy with the ball too.

Webster
19th October 2012, 10:03 PM
Rubbish. He got worked over by the short ball and couldn't score. Plenty of chances.

Ashes
19th October 2012, 10:07 PM
It happened a couple of times. Agree he had plenty of chances but I don't agree he was suspect and reckon he would have been fine if they went back to him when he was at his peak.

Bruce
20th October 2012, 12:19 AM
It wasn't the pure bouncer that had Began, it was more around the belly button height where he kept getting stuck.

Ashes
20th October 2012, 12:40 AM
Interesting that his best series at Test level were against Pakistan (avg +60) and West Indies (avg +55) against the likes of Akram, Younis, Ambrose, Bishop and Walsh. I remember watching him make 87* at the WACA against the Windies and he certainly didn't look like a player troubled by the short bowling. He actually ran out of partners that day.He did have a couple of shocking series which basically killed his test career. At the time he looked shot for confidence and getting dropped from the test team was warranted.Had he been playing in the current era he would have got another shot and done well in my view. Fact was, in the 90's there was no need to give him another crack as the selectors were spoilt for choice.In no way was he hard done by though, he was given a fair chance and didn't take it. Plenty of gun players from that era that didn't get as much of a shot as others have pointed out.

Webster
21st October 2012, 06:17 AM
http://m.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/vic-a-keeper-as-the-gloves-come-off-20121020-27yis.html

Jarro
21st October 2012, 06:27 AM
No way they can bring Haddin back.

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 10:26 AM
I wonder what the selectors think of their vice captain in the press saying Haddin deserves a chance to play the tests and Starc "should be in the team".

TheAwesom1
21st October 2012, 10:52 AM
I wonder what the selectors think of their vice captain in the press saying Haddin deserves a chance to play the tests and Starc "should be in the team".

Watson should shut up. Only 2 100's in his 35match test career.

Jarro
21st October 2012, 11:01 AM

I wonder what Wade thinks about that ? :-s

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 11:08 AM
Watson should shut up. Only 2 100's in his 35match test career.

Yeah he's got a bit to say.

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 11:09 AM
I wonder what Wade thinks about that ? :-s

For sure.

sms316
21st October 2012, 11:16 AM
http://m.theage.com.au/sport/cricket/vic-a-keeper-as-the-gloves-come-off-20121020-27yis.html Victorians are always victims of NSW bias according to their media. Nothing new there.

Moe Norman
21st October 2012, 04:57 PM
The short ball issue with Bevan was a self fulfilling prophecy.

He was perfectly fine facing the short ball, then got out to a couple, the media got hold of him and he didn't have the mental fortitude to ignore it and suddenly he was nervous with the short ball!

He was a bit like Steve Waugh. A compulsive hooker as a young man who got out to a few and decided to put the shot away. Difference is, Waugh put it away and it was never seen again, he just let it hit him. Bevan tried to put it away but didn't replace it with anything, so would get himself into all sorts trying to avoid playing onside cross bat shots.

markTHEblake
21st October 2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah he's got a bit to say.

Did he say it or did some journo ask him if he thought Haddin should be in the team?

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 07:05 PM
Did he say it or did some journo ask him if he thought Haddin should be in the team?

Either/either. He's still got a bit to learn via the media that's for sure.

sms316
21st October 2012, 07:50 PM
Qld are playing well again.

Yossarian
21st October 2012, 08:45 PM
Did Forest actually keep?

markTHEblake
21st October 2012, 10:53 PM
Either/either. He's still got a bit to learn via the media that's for sure.
his actual quotes showed that his answers were quite diplomatic.

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 11:02 PM
his actual quotes showed that his answers were quite diplomatic.

Saying "Starc should be in the team" etc wouldn't be overly popular with the hierarchy i'm betting. They all know the media is going to angle them over.

LarryLong
21st October 2012, 11:21 PM
Just read that article that Jack linked. I'm still trying to come to grips with the bit that says "Haddin's glovework had never previously been questioned".

Watson can say what he likes. He doesn't pick the team. If he did, he might have to address the question of why he is still opening the batting.

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 11:36 PM
Watson can say what he likes. He doesn't pick the team. If he did, he might have to address the question of why he is still opening the batting.

He bats number 3 in tests now.

LarryLong
21st October 2012, 11:49 PM
He bats number 3 in tests now.

:oops::oops:

Too long between tests, forgot about the Wonderboy/Stodgy Intellectual opening partnership.

TheNuclearOne
21st October 2012, 11:57 PM
:oops::oops:

Too long between tests, forgot about the Wonderboy/Stodgy Intellectual opening partnership.

Well goodness knows how long the present opening combo will last against the big boys :neutral:

Sydney Hacker
22nd October 2012, 08:28 AM
Just reading the SMH and came across this article -

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/cummins-to-be-included-in-test-teams-party-of-five-quicks-20121021-27zdg.html

While I am definately not a "sports scientist" how can a bowler be expected to bowl 20 overs in a day if they are only allowed to bowl between 25-30 overs a week leading up to a test?

Not to mention that Cummins may get a test spot on the back of 1 to 2 first class games in 12 months!

At this rate teams will need 6 bowlers to be able to get through a test.

TheNuclearOne
22nd October 2012, 09:53 AM
The 150-180 balls was "on average". If they play 4 quicks Cummins would a good chance for the earlier Tests, with Watson as well and all.

It's going to be interesting where all this ball counting and scheduling ends up with the bowlers in the long term. I hope it doesn't turn into a big failed wankfest.

Jarro
22nd October 2012, 09:57 AM
The 150-180 balls was "on average". If they play 4 quicks Cummins would a good chance for the earlier Tests, with Watson as well and all.

It's going to be interesting where all this ball counting and scheduling ends up with the bowlers in the long term. I hope it doesn't turn into a big failed wankfest.

Agreed.

Let's hope they get it right and don't ruin a promising career by bad management.

LarryLong
23rd October 2012, 01:36 PM
Cosgrove going well against the Vics. How many runs would he need to make to put himself in the frame?

TheAwesom1
23rd October 2012, 01:50 PM
Cosgrove going well against the Vics. How many runs would he need to make to put himself in the frame?

The Move to Tassie has been great for him. I doubt he gets back into the australian setup. He isn't a pin up boy.

Sydney Hacker
23rd October 2012, 02:06 PM
Unlike the one that what was counselled for the nose candy?

dc68
23rd October 2012, 06:40 PM
Unlike the one that what was counselled for the nose candy? Huh? PM if not prepared to name please.

TheAwesom1
23rd October 2012, 06:44 PM
Cossie averages 44 with the bat in first class cricket. Remember years ago people were raving about some of the young SA stars.

Cosgrove
Dan Cullen
Cullen Bailey
Callum Fegurson

Cossie is doing great in Tassie
Ferguson has taken a step back.
Don't know what happened to the other 2.

kingslayer33
23rd October 2012, 07:23 PM
Huh? PM if not prepared to name please. Me too please SH. Wouldn't mind following this up with some people in the know as I've never heard this one.

Sydney Hacker
23rd October 2012, 07:26 PM
No names sorry, but it was in the news today.

TheNuclearOne
23rd October 2012, 07:38 PM
Wasn't he just around a circle dabbling and is all clear?

TheNuclearOne
24th October 2012, 06:03 PM
Ponting got some serious runs against such a vaunted attack today.

kingslayer33
24th October 2012, 06:23 PM
Vics must be all bowling attack though as I think I just saw Cameron White as the #3. Never mind we still sit with the advantage at D2 stumps.

The whole tiggers batting is going ok too - not just the former captain.

AndyP
29th October 2012, 12:50 PM
Wade kept his spot. Good.

Jarro
29th October 2012, 12:51 PM
As he should have.

sms316
29th October 2012, 01:15 PM
Selectors and their Victorian bias.

Jarro
29th October 2012, 02:39 PM
Four quicks for the first test ?

backintheswing
29th October 2012, 02:43 PM
One will be 12th man, unless it's a green top.

TheNuclearOne
29th October 2012, 06:36 PM
Four quicks for the first test ?

There's big talk Hilf will be 12th man for Starc (in favour of balance) unless they play 4 quicks.

sms316
31st October 2012, 01:51 PM
Dale Steyn signed to play 1 game for the Brisbane Heat.

popper81
31st October 2012, 02:07 PM
Dale Steyn signed to play 1 game for the Brisbane Heat. About all he will play....

Jarro
31st October 2012, 02:20 PM

We don't need him.... we got Mitch back :rolleyes:

TheAwesom1
31st October 2012, 09:34 PM

A move for the champions league. If the heat make it.

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2012, 03:24 PM
No luck at all

http://www.cricket.com.au/news-list/2012/11/2/cummins-out-for-the-season

Hamo84
2nd November 2012, 03:48 PM
wow that is bad luck....

Pieface
2nd November 2012, 04:04 PM
Phil Hughes LOL

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2012, 04:21 PM
Did he get out in the old, fixed up, way?

Beside him tho countless bats across australia have failed in the last few days. I'm struggling to remember a time when Australia were was so wanting in batting depth and class.

graham_w
2nd November 2012, 04:26 PM
Remember Shane Watson was Mr Glass early on and now he is probably Australia's best.

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2012, 04:31 PM
Remember Shane Watson was Mr Glass early on and now he is probably Australia's best.

Cummins only needs an injury free run to stamp his undoubted class down. His potential is unlimited, time will tell with his possible fraility.

Pieface
2nd November 2012, 04:39 PM
Chased one full and wide and chopped it on.

Haven't seen it myself but had to laugh reading the article on him on cricinfo and then seeing his score directly after.

TheNuclearOne
2nd November 2012, 04:49 PM
Ok, cheers mate.

Mububban
2nd November 2012, 05:50 PM
I hope Pat Cummins doesn't turn into another Bruce Reid. Height, pace, control, movement, but a body that keeps breaking down :(

Bruce
2nd November 2012, 05:53 PM

Hence the nickname "Papercut"

Jarro
2nd November 2012, 05:56 PM
Watson admitted though that a lot of his injury troubles were from the wrong training methods.

He's since had a complete change of exercise programme and is now reaping the rewards.

Who knows what's going on with Cummins though ?

graham_w
2nd November 2012, 06:09 PM
Watson admitted though that a lot of his injury troubles were from the wrong training methods.

He's since had a complete change of exercise programme and is now reaping the rewards.

Who knows what's going on with Cummins though ?

From memory he was working out to get huge instead of sport specific weights, and his muscles were so tightly strung that as soon as something went the wrong way they went *twang*

Cummins had a bruised foot (?) and now a stress fracture - the injury of choice for bowlers everywhere.

TheNuclearOne
4th November 2012, 02:28 PM
QLD made pretty easy work of a decent NSW lineup, granted Watson only batted once. Uzi a pair of 54's, the second off 38 balls.

TheAwesom1
4th November 2012, 03:21 PM
Watson out of the gabba test it looks like.

I like the idea of Maxwell for the gabba. He is an Allrounder who imo is just as good spinner as Lyon but he can bat also. It will also allow the team to play 4 quicks.

TheNuclearOne
4th November 2012, 03:50 PM
I'm leery enough on our batting as it is. Not that we have any great shakes awaiting the call up LOL

TheNuclearOne
4th November 2012, 03:58 PM
There will come a day when Brett Lee is thrown up as candidate to be the Aussie bowling coach. I may need to prepare for that day by finding a high powered rifle and a vantage point within range Jolimont St. Light tower 6 might be the best spot.

For what it's worth, i totally agree with Lee. Cummins action definitely needs tweaking.

Brett Lee (http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/player/6278.html) meanwhile has volunteered to help Cummins rework his action after he was ruled out for the season with a stress fracture of the back. Cummins, 19, missed most of last summer with a foot injury and suffered a side strain during this year's tour of England, and his latest injury is not the first back problem he has encountered during his short career.

After scans revealed the extent of his injury, Cummins wondered whether he had fallen into bad habits with his action while playing so much short-form cricket, instead of bowling in the same manner he would when trying to swing a red ball. Lee had a number of injury troubles early in his career and he said he would be happy to pass on some advice to Cummins regarding the best way to bowl at express pace without damaging the back.
"I'm not saying in any way, shape or form that Pat needs to change his action," Lee told the Sun-Herald. "But there are some things I reckon I could help him with [such as how] to clean his action up to make it a little bit easier on his back.
"The one thing you don't want as a fast bowler is hyper-extension and counter-rotation [like] he has [and] as I did when I was at the same age ... I had that same set-up where there was a lot of twisting and turning in my action, which is where you get your pace from, but it does come at a cost."
Lee shrugged off injuries throughout his career to finish with 310 Test wickets and 380 one-day international victims, but unlike Cummins he did not make his Test debut until he was 23. Cummins was 18 when he wore the baggy green for the first - and so far, only - time against South Africa at the Wanderers last November, where he was Man of the Match for his seven wickets in Australia's win.
Cummins was especially impressive in the way he worked over the veteran Jacques Kallis, who struggled with a few short deliveries before edging to slip. The back injury means Australian fans will be denied the chance to see Cummins take on Kallis and the rest of the South Africans again this summer, and Lee said it was disappointing given what Cummins could have achieved on the Australian pitches.
"This is a real blow. He's a great fellow and I just want to see him out on the field and playing," Lee said. "I'm shattered for Pat because someone like him bowling 155kph to 160kph at the Gabba would be exciting to see. It would be great to see him match what the South Africans have. It's disappointing and frustrating to think we haven't got that now, though it's not the poor bugger's fault. I'm 100% confident he'll be back, but I would've loved to have seen him bowl to Jacques Kallis who, in my opinion, is the world's best cricketer."