PDA

View Full Version : Shaft lengths

Lagerlover
20th September 2012, 06:34 AM
Looking for some pulled shafts.

My question is, do the manufacturer's specs base their lengths on raw shaft length or installed/overall club length?
And if installed length, how much difference is there in the two?

Thanks.

TourFit
20th September 2012, 09:47 AM
This is something that happens quite a lot & is important to pay attention to when buying 2nd hand shafts...

When buying pull out shafts, be aware that the usually stated length would be when they were installed in that particular clubhead. But if the heads you intend to put them in have longer/shorter hosels or different bore depths then the finished length of the new club may be different. If this happens, it's obviously better to have the shafts LONGER than you need, then you just butt trim to keep the same # shaft in the correct iron to have the same flex.

However, in many cases they come up shorter than the desired finished length! When this happens you have three main choices, (ALL of which will affect the $$$ cost if you are getting someone to do it for you) - play the correct shaft in the head at a shorter length, play the correct shaft in the head and then extend all the shafts to desired lengths OR soft step the shafts down to get the desired length (and possibly a little butt trim) and have them flex a little softer (and you may have to get one other shaft for the lowest lofted iron)

It is always a good idea to get pullouts that are going to be longer than you need. So if you play std length irons it's a good idea to order shafts that are +1/2" (or were when installed). Just gives a little leeway, just in case!

dhills2
20th September 2012, 10:03 AM
This is something that happens quite a lot & is important to pay attention to when buying 2nd hand shafts...

When buying pull out shafts, be aware that the usually stated length would be when they were installed in that particular clubhead. But if the heads you intend to put them in have longer/shorter hosels or different bore depths then the finished length of the new club may be different. If this happens, it's obviously better to have the shafts LONGER than you need, then you just butt trim to keep the same # shaft in the correct iron to have the same flex.

However, in many cases they come up shorter than the desired finished length! When this happens you have three main choices - play the correct shaft in the head at a shorter length, play the correct shaft in the head and then extend all the shafts to desired lengths OR soft step the shafts down to get the desired length (and possibly a little butt trim) and have them flex a little softer (and you may have to get one other shaft for the lowest lofted iron)

It is always a good idea to get pullouts that are going to be longer than you need. So if you play std length irons it's a good idea to order shafts that are +1/2" (or were when installed). Just gives a little leeway, just in case!

Seems obvious but I've been caught out by this in the past. Good tip TF! Cheers

Lagerlover
20th September 2012, 01:18 PM
Thanks TF,

I have asked sellers to give me exact length of pulls, and in every instance they have given me numbers which are exactly what's on the OEM spec sheets. Are these people just being lazy, or is that how the "length" is measured when quoted on the manufacturer's site.

Hope that makes sense.

3oneday
20th September 2012, 02:01 PM
I understand that Cobra heads are supposed to all have different bore depths, so some guy in the states told me once.

I couldn't work out why the "OEM spec sheet" could be quoted, surely they are measuring a club with no head ?

Lagerlover
20th September 2012, 02:06 PM
I understand that Cobra heads are supposed to all have different bore depths, so some guy in the states told me once.

I couldn't work out why the "OEM spec sheet" could be quoted, surely they are measuring a club with no head ?

Sorry 3,
I stumble a bit sometimes. Let me attach this thread...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290776777866&ssPageName=ADME:X:RTQ:US:1123

Where are these numbers coming from. Are they the true shaft only measurement, or has he visited the Adams website and pulled numbers??

TheNuclearOne
20th September 2012, 06:21 PM
Surely they would be (raw length) shaft only as he states he doesn't even know what set make up or even heads they came from.

Daves
20th September 2012, 06:31 PM
I would think they are raw lengths he is quoting. Suspect like most, he has rounded to the nearest 1/2". He doesn't say whether they are Taper or Parrallel tips, or what they come out of. The Adam grips doesn't help a lot either. If they were out of 5 to PW, then they would probably have been at least an 1" over standard when installed.