PDA

View Full Version : High comp fees at home course.

Jono
14th September 2012, 12:54 PM
My home club has increased the comp fees to $20. I think they did this to keep the annual subs under $1k.

I don't really agree with this strategy as it penalises members who play in more comps.

Any other clubs out there that have high comp fees? Thoughts?

virge666
14th September 2012, 01:00 PM
$14 at the view

Vice MC
14th September 2012, 01:03 PM
$12 @ city

mudrat
14th September 2012, 01:10 PM
$15 at New Brighton

Grunt
14th September 2012, 01:14 PM
I think it is going to happen more and more Jono as people actually play less and also dont spend money in the clubs after the round either. Golf course running costs I would think would be going thru the roof too.

Sydney Hacker
14th September 2012, 01:17 PM
$12 @ Asquith

3oneday
14th September 2012, 01:19 PM
$16 at Dunheved, and I reckon that's too high.

Haystacks
14th September 2012, 01:26 PM
My home club has increased the comp fees to $20. I think they did this to keep the annual subs under $1k.

I don't really agree with this strategy as it penalises members who play in more comps.

Any other clubs out there that have high comp fees? Thoughts?

What do you get for your comp fees Jono? What's the value of placegetters etc?

I pay $16 and I reckon that's too much.

Jarro
14th September 2012, 01:42 PM
$12 @ Nudgee.

mrbluu
14th September 2012, 01:46 PM
$15 @ cabra

idgolfguy
14th September 2012, 01:57 PM
The Vines, WA went from $5 to $7 early last year.
Gross prize is $70
1st prize for each division is $50
NTP x 4 is $10
Birdie prize is $4
Eagle is $20

davepuppies
14th September 2012, 02:02 PM
Richmond is $17 on a sat ( I think)

Iain
14th September 2012, 02:15 PM
That does seem very high.

Captain Nemo
14th September 2012, 03:22 PM
$25 at Kogarah
Includes $11 of bar/cafe vouchers so $14 comp..

Dotty
14th September 2012, 04:30 PM
$12 @ Pennant Hills (with an optional $3 NTP on 150m p3 - winner-takes-all.)

But annual subs are a lot more than $1k.

PerryGroves
14th September 2012, 04:39 PM
$5 to $7.50 to $10 at Manly in the last year. Sounds like we have it good, apart from the $4500 in fees.:roll:

Cosmopolite
14th September 2012, 07:16 PM
ouch, I had better not complain about our $7 comp fees

jimandr
14th September 2012, 07:41 PM
I whinged about this quite a while ago. Camden Lakeside charges $20 for its comp fee, as a compensation for not raising the yearly subs. If I am realistic I don't really mind, as I am only playing 25 times a year, so that is better than a hike to 2K or more in annual subs. I've got no idea what our prizemoney structure is.

The bit that really hurts is that the visitors comp fee on Open Days isn't very much more, and the social rates actually went down when we took over Lakeside.

spanner039
14th September 2012, 07:46 PM
Bloody hell, what happened to the $2 you plucked to the pro? $20 + on to of everything else is rediculous!

WBennett
14th September 2012, 08:07 PM
$6 - 3 grades, 4 NTP's. The course is too hard for the old whingers wtih lots of 100m water carries, so they play elsewhere.

mrbluu
14th September 2012, 08:36 PM
What course is this??

$6 - 3 grades, 4 NTP's. The course is too hard for the old whingers wtih lots of 100m water carries, so they play elsewhere.

WBennett
14th September 2012, 10:57 PM
gungahlin lakes, Canberra

BenM
14th September 2012, 11:19 PM
Ours is only $7 (I think) as well, with a $1 optional NTP for the pennant pin (prize is usually around $36 or something). I think I normally pay $12 including the pennant pin and a Powerade :)

JADO75
14th September 2012, 11:30 PM
$15 at Penrith

KristianJ
14th September 2012, 11:37 PM
$12 at Glenmore (plus an optional $5 for a couple of NTPs and skins on Thursday open comps)

dhills2
14th September 2012, 11:52 PM
$17 now at Gosford. Bit steep for a suburban track if u ask me.

timinsa
15th September 2012, 12:33 AM
$5 at RA.

mackie
15th September 2012, 06:38 AM
$10 at the lakes, should be $5

Ferrins
15th September 2012, 07:11 AM
It should be minimal and the winner of each category wins a ball and all unclaimed balls should go to the juniors.

aussieashley
15th September 2012, 01:58 PM
$10 at Gold Coast Country Club

Peppas
15th September 2012, 03:11 PM
I think its either $11 or $12 at Shell Cove... used to be a few dollars more but that was with a drink voucher. Now, no drink voucher, cheaper comp fee.

Jono, I actually played your course this morning in the Sat comp. Cost me $40 all up for the round + comp fee. I don't usually play Sat comps at other clubs so don't really know what the other clubs charge, but when I've played midweek comps at other courses I can't remember it being that steep. Oh well, it was worth a reminder about how much I hate trees...

Courty
15th September 2012, 05:59 PM
Ir's been $10 at Cairns GC for as long as I can remember.

Webster
15th September 2012, 06:03 PM
Isn't it just a question of value for money? Or opting out if you don't like the price?

IanO
19th September 2012, 01:39 PM
Hmmm ... ours is $5 Saturday comp fee (NTP, 3 grades 1st prize and ball run-down), optional $2 for Pro's NTP and $1 Pro's ball pool. Annual fees $1,400

Good deal in my mind

dhills2
20th September 2012, 10:14 AM
Isn't it just a question of value for money? Or opting out if you don't like the price?

Certainly is but it seems clubs are now luring members to pay higher comp fees by marginally raising the prizes for 1st. This doesn't really appeal to me at all as I'm just there to play golf. I like Ferret's idea of minimal fees and minimal prizes for normal weekend comps. I also like IanO's club and how they give members the option of NTP etc. Looks like I might have to raise this with our Board :)

Jono
20th September 2012, 12:44 PM
I think part of our comp fee increase goes towards prizes but I never win anyway, so I prefer low comp fees and less prizes. :roll:

I went down to 5 days a week membership this year as I don't get chance to play on Saturdays. I thought the 5 day membership covered weekdays including our only weekday comp which is Wednesdays. Turns out 5 day membership doesn't cover Wednesdays and Saturdays. Only comp I can play is Sunday comp which I hate because there is a group of 40 odd social players teeing off before the comp. Takes over 5 hours to play the Sunday comp. I can still put my name down for Wednesday and Saturday comps but only 2 days before the round AND have to pay visitor fees.

Seriously thinking of changing clubs. Only thing stopping me at the moment are my mates who are members of this club.

WBennett
20th September 2012, 12:57 PM
Or go back to 6 days so you can play Wednesdays and play with your mates again?

I pay $1055 p/a and play 20 rounds a year at home. No, its not value for money when green fees are $40 for a social hit on weekends, but in my mind its worth every cent to be part of the club.

IanO
20th September 2012, 02:02 PM
A mate of mine has continued paying his 7 day membership for the past 2 years even though he only gets to play about 4 or 5 times a year (works out to between $280 and $350 a round) but says he doesn't want to drop it.

Jono
21st September 2012, 09:00 AM
Or go back to 6 days so you can play Wednesdays and play with your mates again?

I pay $1055 p/a and play 20 rounds a year at home. No, its not value for money when green fees are $40 for a social hit on weekends, but in my mind its worth every cent to be part of the club.

Yep, I changed to 6 day membership for now. Keeping my options open for next year.

Grunt
21st September 2012, 09:53 AM
Jono, that is why I have a country membership, 3 games this Calendar year. Still supporting a club in the form of Howlong and if I play a midweek comp it is all good.

Jono
21st September 2012, 10:01 AM
Jono, that is why I have a country membership, 3 games this Calendar year. Still supporting a club in the form of Howlong and if I play a midweek comp it is all good.

What happened to Bathurst?

It's not just a cost thing, BTW. A lot of disgruntled members at the moment.

Grunt
21st September 2012, 10:03 AM
just reassessed spending, $65 a month and not playing was not viable. I have upped the spending on my kayaking and personal training course so golf had to be cut. .

Hatchman
21st September 2012, 12:23 PM
I think part of our comp fee increase goes towards prizes but I never win anyway, so I prefer low comp fees and less prizes. :roll:

I went down to 5 days a week membership this year as I don't get chance to play on Saturdays. I thought the 5 day membership covered weekdays including our only weekday comp which is Wednesdays. Turns out 5 day membership doesn't cover Wednesdays and Saturdays. Only comp I can play is Sunday comp which I hate because there is a group of 40 odd social players teeing off before the comp. Takes over 5 hours to play the Sunday comp. I can still put my name down for Wednesday and Saturday comps but only 2 days before the round AND have to pay visitor fees.

Seriously thinking of changing clubs. Only thing stopping me at the moment are my mates who are members of this club.

Bizarre membership structure. 5day membership normally applies to midweek mon-fri.

Golf is an expensive sport/recreation. You need to be playing a bit to get value for money when joining as a full member. Have seen a few clubs offering memberships where you pay a small fee of $70-$90 + $30 golf link fee and pay green fees and comp fees on the days you play. This category gives you a handicap that the clubs keeps on their list for you. Good value for keeping people who may normally drop their membership entirely attached to the club still when they don't play too often.

Hawkers2008
23rd September 2012, 07:16 PM
We pay $7 on Sat and $5 on the other 3 comp days.

We should probably pay a tad more, prizes could be better and the club could pocket some.

GSP
28th September 2012, 05:37 PM
We pay $5, wow you guys pay a heap. If you are shelling out 20 a comp how much is membership?

Ferrins
21st November 2017, 10:39 AM
$14 at Virginia, rip off!

PeteyD
21st November 2017, 11:15 AM
Nice threadmine. We pay that too at Reddy Bay. Why do you think it is a rip off?

wazamac
21st November 2017, 11:33 AM
$6 comp fee for us. $1 for the Pro pin if you want to go in it.

PeteyD
21st November 2017, 11:36 AM
Yea but whats your annual subs cost? I think there is trade off there. Plus they give out about 5000000 balls in the rundown.

Ferrins
21st November 2017, 11:52 AM
Nice threadmine. We pay that too at Reddy Bay. Why do you think it is a rip off?

The more $ the more cheating and it's a flawed competition with same guys playing together week in week out. Magic pencils, blatant rules vialations and dodgy ntp's.

grandmasterb
21st November 2017, 11:55 AM
Average comp fee for the courses I play are $8-12

I don't mind comp fee price increases or higher comp fees if the prize pool reflects it but sadly "most" clubs like to hold onto the cash rather than give back to the members or "justify" with 3-4 "extra balls down the line!!!

3Puttpete
21st November 2017, 12:30 PM
Average comp fee for the courses I play are $8-12

I don't mind comp fee price increases or higher comp fees if the prize pool reflects it but sadly "most" clubs like to hold onto the cash rather than give back to the members or "justify" with 3-4 "extra balls down the line!!!Which ones?

PeteyD
21st November 2017, 01:44 PM
The more $ the more cheating and it's a flawed competition with same guys playing together week in week out. Magic pencils, blatant rules vialations and dodgy ntp's.

Which has little to do with $14. And of course the competitions are flawed, that's why we have the OzGolf champs.

grandmasterb
21st November 2017, 03:09 PM
Which ones?

Kingston Beach is the worst for prizes offered no matter what the competition is but comp fees are the same price as Tassie, Royal Hobart, Claremont etc

It's been this way for as long as I can remember (nearly 20 years) and it's only the last 1-2 years that some of the committee have tried a few new things. The prize structure is all wrong but the treasure continues to knock any suggestions for change saying the club can't afford it blah blah blah...

Tassie is probably the best for prize pool out of the 3-4 courses I play at on a regular basis ($10 comp fees) and they have all 3 Divisions with best Gross, Net & runner up.

3Puttpete
21st November 2017, 03:15 PM
Kingston Beach is the worst for prizes offered no matter what the competition is but comp fees are the same price as Tassie, Royal Hobart, Claremont etc

It's been this way for as long as I can remember (nearly 20 years) and it's only the last 1-2 years that some of the committee have tried a few new things. The prize structure is all wrong but the treasure continues to knock any suggestions for change saying the club can't afford it blah blah blah...

Tassie is probably the best for prize pool out of the 3-4 courses I play at on a regular basis ($10 comp fees) and they have all 3 Divisions with best Gross, Net & runner up.Oh when you said most I thought you meant more than just Kingston Beach.

grandmasterb
21st November 2017, 04:01 PM
Oh when you said most I thought you meant more than just Kingston Beach.

It's not just Kingston but was making the comparison between Kingston & Tasmania who have roughly the same size fields on a Wednesday & Saturday and same comp fees but very different prize allocation.

You have to be in it to win it but if it's "not worth winning" is it worth paying to be in it!!!

Grumpy8
21st November 2017, 05:25 PM
I play two clubs Olinda their comp fee is $5 not big prizes for winners and a few balls DTL , main prize is a bottle of wine or big box of chocolates and this is a lucky draw for all players on the day . Beaconhills is $7 comp $1 pro pin . Winners get $30 voucher per grade + a ball . Balls DTL is about 25% of the field , NTP is only 1 ball . Think the club keeps a chunk of the comp fee which probably goes to pay the pro's retainer

sticks
22nd November 2017, 11:56 AM
$7 at Curlewis and $1 for the golden par 3.
All grades get top 3 prices plus as well as the top 10 for each grade and NTP winners.
Seems reasonable to me.