PDA

View Full Version : Are customs clamping down or was I just unlucky???

hackin jim
18th June 2004, 08:32 AM
I was due to receive my 580XD Tour this week and got a note in the mail yesterday that it is at the PO but I need to pay $92.25 in customs/gst before they will release it. :smt013

The club was sent USPS and valued at $400US($572AUD), well below the apparent $1000 limit for goods through the post so I rang Customs to dispute the charge. :smt014 I was told in no uncertain terms that the $1000 limit is not for determining whether or not duties/taxes are payable but a limit above which the importer needs to provide documentation to get goods cleared.

In short I was told that Duty and Taxes will ALWAYS be levied whenever the assessed amount of duty and taxes is >$50. This is regardless of the means of delivery. I argued that I have rec'd plenty of stuff over the last 12 months of greater value than this and this is the first time I have been levied any charges.

Customs: "Well I can't explain that. I guess you have been lucky up to now."
Me: "Or maybe just unlucky this time"

What do you guys think?

PS My 704CBs are due any day now so it will be interesting to see if they get hit as well [-o<

McMw
18th June 2004, 08:57 AM
sounds like u're unlucky this time....

it's always SAFER to factor in duty charges when u plan to get stuff...that way, you'll know what the max will be...

Fishman Dan
18th June 2004, 09:11 AM
I argued that I have rec'd plenty of stuff over the last 12 months of greater value than this and this is the first time I have been levied any charges.

I think you're lucky you haven't dobbed yourself in for some back-charges ;)

Customs: "Well I can't explain that. I guess you have been lucky up to now."
Me: "Or maybe just unlucky this time"

I reckon they've got your name in big letters on a noticeboard since that comment ;)

AndyP
18th June 2004, 09:56 AM
History says that you have been screwed.

Let us know if you get done for the 704CBs.

hackin jim
18th June 2004, 10:58 AM
I think you're lucky you haven't dobbed yourself in for some back-charges

You're right Dan, sorry for my sour grapes original post. :-({|= That was straight after getting off the phone to Customs and since then I've cooled down and had time to think.

Given my club hoing over the past 2 months has given me my current bag for around $700, (thats anticipating around $110 duty on the 704s), then I have nothing to :smt022 about.

Just take my original post as another "customs, duties and importing golf clubs" experience to consider when deciding on your next US eBay purchase. :smt023

Fishman Dan
18th June 2004, 11:48 AM
No worries Jim, i know the feeling when you're talking to these places. Logic is often uncalled for, and you end up talking to somone who, frankly, couldn't give 2 hoots ;) Very frustrating stuff.

But i never knew that duty is slapped on anything over $50? I've never done it myself, but i am prowling for a cheap White-Hot around the traps (for a friend! I'm no HO!), and so far the only one i have seen is at 3Balls for about $49 US. Put postage and duty on that and we're already over $100 or so.

amanda
18th June 2004, 11:59 AM
Try quoting them this from their website:

Customs would not collect duty and/or GST where:

* the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by post or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and
* the Customs duty and/or GST liability of the goods does not exceed $50.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/index.cfm?nav_id=670&area_id=5

But it may depend on how they come - even if it is via USPS because it can come from them by air (rather than surface mail)

hackin jim
18th June 2004, 12:19 PM
But i never knew that duty is slapped on anything over $50? .

The $50 limit is not the total value but the total duty/GST assessment. So if you import something with a value of $300AUD it would attract 5% duty and 10% GST which is about $45 so it goes through fine. Increase the value to $400 and the charges are $60 and you would get slugged....at least going by my scenario above. Your $49USD white hot should be fine. Also keep in mind that the total value is not including postage.

Try quoting them this from their website:

* the value of the goods does not exceed $1000 for goods imported by post or $250 for goods imported air/sea cargo, other than by post; and

I tried that and they said that they were aware that the wording on the website was misleading. They are in the process of changing it. :roll:

3oneday
18th June 2004, 12:53 PM
I was due to receive my 580XD Tour this week <
When did it get sent ? I have bought something which was sent 9th June via USPS, but I have no notes or anything yet. Am I being too impatient ?

Cheers

Pete

AndyP
18th June 2004, 01:26 PM
Welcome to the site, 3oneday. 8)

hackin jim
18th June 2004, 01:27 PM
Am I being too impatient ?

A little. Mine was also sent on the 9th but it was sent Global Express which the delivery time is 3-5 days. It was rec'd at the PO on the 15th but they only got round to telling me about it yesterday. The 704CBs were sent on the 9th as well but sent Airmail Parcel Post which is usually around 7-10 days....I'll let you know when I get them and we can compare shipping times :smt023

3oneday
18th June 2004, 01:35 PM
Welcome to the site, 3oneday. 8)

Thanks Andy, not to repeat the obvious, but I was wondering where the hell everyone went :smt014

Cheers HackJ, hopefully next week then.

Pete

AndyP
18th June 2004, 01:41 PM
Thanks Andy, not to repeat the obvious, but I was wondering where the hell everyone went :smt014

Yeah, word seems to be spreading around though. We couldn't exactly PM everyone on the "other" forum to let them know where we went.

To save thread-jacking, why don't you start up a hello thread to let everyone know you have arrived.

jaster
18th June 2004, 04:22 PM
If the custom's fee is over $50 they will always charge it, $1000 is very misleading and it is more likely around $450. I have been hit last year for a similar charge but I got around it by telling them that the club was a gift ;) They asked me to fax a statement saying this and I did, no charge 8) :P

In the long run like you Jim I am happy to pay customs once or twice for how much I have saved ;)

Jarro
18th June 2004, 04:30 PM
Hey Jim, let me know when you get sick of that 580XD Tour, i might buy it off ya :wink:

How's she go :?:

shu
18th June 2004, 07:14 PM
If the custom's fee is over $50 they will always charge it, $1000 is very misleading and it is more likely around $450.

Yep, that's correct..also the customs website said,

Notice it says and, not or, so that means the 2nd condition will always apply.

Just mark the package as $50..saves all the trouble. :D Of course..there'll always be the risk that the package is lost :shock:

Another thing...customs require a invoice, an insurance declaration is apparently not enough...and they will demand proof of purchase such as your paypal receipt. Not sure if it applies to you guys...but I had to go through that process one time...and that's one time too many :?

hackin jim
19th June 2004, 08:32 AM
..also the customs website said,

Notice it says and, not or, so that means the 2nd condition will always apply.

I guess it is in the interpetation. I read that AND condition on the customs website to mean that BOTH conditions had to be met for charges to be levied. Thats also how the women I spoke to at customs read it and she mentioned they are arguing with Canberra to get the wording changed. Oh well, live and learn I guess. Looks like any future purchases will be $400AUD "gifts" :wink:

Hey Jim, let me know when you get sick of that 580XD Tour,

I only payed the charges and picked it up yesterday so haven't hit it as yet but on looks alone I would not be holding your breath. Also I have an agreement with the wife to suspend all club hoing until xmas so its in the bag at least until then :wink:

3oneday
21st June 2004, 06:18 AM
Could I ask, I have tracked my club, with USPS saying that it cleared customs on 10.24 am on 20th June 2004.

What does that mean exactly, with regard to me receiving it ????

Pete

3oneday
21st June 2004, 08:19 AM
What it means is, it will arrive this morning, right now.

14* TP Rescue 8) 8) 8)

Fishman Dan
21st June 2004, 08:28 AM
Guys - without starting a new thread i want to ask you HO's something. I've been asked by the father-in-law to find a putter like mine - White Hot #7 or similar. Checked eBay in the US last night, and they're starting around $25, don't know what they're ending up at. So let's say i buy something for $45 US - what other costs do i have to factor in?

* $65 or so for the item
* Freight?
* Customs? Do they require paperwork? Where does that come from?
* How to pay the vendor? Any costs involved?

Basically if it goes anywhere near $100 then i won't bother.

3oneday
21st June 2004, 09:40 AM
Fishy,

Can't say I am an expert, but the guy I used charged me $28US for postage, whereas another high volume one charged $65USD.

I setup a Paypal, which my guy used as well, payment is instant, like 5 minutes !!! but some people won't use the Paypal over there, because if you are OS from them, the address is unconfirmed and they won't send to an unconfirmed address.

Putter should be a good length to maybe slip through uncharged, as opposed to a driver or something.

Pete

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 08:23 AM
I've been asked by the father-in-law to find a putter like mine - White Hot #7 or similar. Checked eBay in the US last night, and they're starting around $25, don't know what they're ending up at.
Fishy, why not extend your ebay search to look at completed items? That way, you would have more of an idea for what the putters are going for.

So let's say i buy something for $45 US.
Basically if it goes anywhere near $100 then i won't bother.
$100AU or $100US?
If it is $45US, plus say $30US postage (if you get a nice trader), then you are already at $75US = about $120AU.

Fishman Dan
23rd June 2004, 08:25 AM
Thanks AP - that's basically what i was after.
In that case, for that postage amount (let's say US$30), do these blokes ship per item, or could you get 2/3+ items for that amount?

I think i'll just give the father-in-law a box of Wing Tee's.... :roll:

AndyP
23rd June 2004, 09:54 AM
In that case, for that postage amount (let's say US$30), do these blokes ship per item, or could you get 2/3+ items for that amount?

I think it is usually something like $10US per additional item, upto $60-$70US for a full set. I believe ebay traders like 3balls, etc, list this sort of info in their auctions.

hackin jim
24th June 2004, 09:05 AM
Looks like the club ho gods have really caught up with me. :(

Picked up my 704CBs from the PO this morning after forking out the $120 in charges which I counted on after getting slugged on the 580XD Tour. Sadly the charges were not the last of it.

Headed straight to the range to hit a bucket before work and pulled the 7 iron, 4 iron and the 580XD Tour. Let me start by saying I love the look of the 704s. I prefer the satin finish to the shiny chrome of the 690s and while they may not photograph well they look great in person. Hit about 10 each with the 7 and 4 iron and really liked 'em. Good distance, feel and the lightweight DG TT TX-Tour shafts are very smooth. Hit 10 with the XD, long, straight and tight. Then back to the 7 iron.

On hitting about the 5th one the head flew clean off from the shaft :shock: :shock: Fortunately I was at Maq Uni here in Syd and it was easily retrieved.

I have emailed the seller in the US requesting he pay to have the set pulled, cleaned up and reshafted. Does that sound fair? What do you guys think? :-k

3oneday
25th June 2004, 01:33 PM
Looks like the club ho gods have really caught up with me. :(

Does that sound fair? What do you guys think? :-k
Yep, sounds fair, if you like wasting your time :smt021 (couldn't find a "banging head against wall emoticon). If your local pro won't do it, bring em over to my place :shock: .

Seriously, a good chance they will all come off, if the same batch of glue was used for the entire set, ie mixture wrong maybe !!

McMw
25th June 2004, 02:02 PM
Let me start by saying I love the look of the 704s. I prefer the satin finish to the shiny chrome of the 690s and while they may not photograph well they look great in person.

couldn't agree more...
the 704s looks just great...
kinda reminds me of the 845s, but without the huge offset...

I could see myself having a set of this next year or the year after!!! :lol:
then all I need are Vokey Wedges and a Scotty putter... :lol: