PDA

View Full Version : I can't work out what to do! Help me decide...

goughy
9th September 2012, 09:43 AM
Ok, I have enough money to do one of two things. Upgrade my bike to 10 speed, or upgrade my home theatre pc. Both I have wanted to do for the last year or two, and I can only do one. And I can't bloody decide. In both cases I have half the stuff I need to complete what I want to do, so I only need to spend a bit to do either. The bike is the cheaper option, about 1/3 less.

If I upgrade the bike then I'll have a 12-27 cassette to help me up the hills. the pc is 7 years old and was a bottom level dual core at the time. Even vlc struggles to play some stuff at times, and when I use task manager and close any processes I think are using resources it will still sit at 90 to 100% cpu usage and playback jitter. And then I'll have it fitting in the cabinet rather in an ugly grey mid tower case beside.

But I don't know which! I want to do both desperately. And if I wanna be picky, I could also add in veneering my speakers. I'm remaking them and am going to veneer them in teak (atm) and polish them up. So I could do that too, but compared to the others it's in third spot.

razaar
9th September 2012, 09:53 AM
Which do you get the most use of, the bike or the pc?

goughy
9th September 2012, 10:00 AM
Whole family gets benefit of pc. Just me the bike. And both do currently work, just not like I would like them to.

AndyP
9th September 2012, 11:05 AM
Poll?

Home theatre PC, since it's more outdated.

goughy
9th September 2012, 11:32 AM
Pc from 2005. Bike is from 1999

Dotty
9th September 2012, 12:00 PM
Merckx and Indurain didn't need 10 speed cassettes.

I vote for the home theatre.

Captain Nemo
9th September 2012, 12:15 PM
I'd do both.....

goughy
9th September 2012, 12:19 PM
Can't.

goughy
9th September 2012, 12:20 PM
Merckx and Indurain didn't need 10 speed cassettes.

I vote for the home theatre.

Can't remember how many tdf's I've won compared to them?

Lobsta
9th September 2012, 12:22 PM
Buy a new putter

PeteyD
9th September 2012, 12:34 PM
spend it on hookers and blow.

goughy
9th September 2012, 12:41 PM
Its not that much money!

kev
9th September 2012, 12:53 PM
Why not get a WD TV Live instead of upgrading the HT?

razaar
9th September 2012, 01:06 PM
I once participated in a Management course over a couple of weeks. One of the topics was decision making and solving problems. From memory the decision making covered the process of deciding between alternatives keeping emotion out of it resulting in an objective decision. It went something like this -
Identify the Musts
Identify the Wants and allocate a weight to each Want
Identify the adverse consequences of each alternative; allocate a weighting to each adverse consequence.
The final decision will include all the Musts listed, and have the highest weighting of the Wants minus the Adverse Consequences.
I have never used this process in any of my decisions, except to look hard at the adverse consequences. Where they were serious for one alternative, that alternative was dropped for consideration.

Minor_Threat
9th September 2012, 02:26 PM
Toss a coin. When the coin is in the air you will know what you want!

Jarro
9th September 2012, 02:42 PM
Home Theatre

AndyP
9th September 2012, 03:06 PM
Pc from 2005. Bike is from 1999 It's relative. Bikes don't really get outdated, do they?

Jarro
9th September 2012, 03:46 PM
Put it on the mortgage

goughy
9th September 2012, 03:57 PM
It's relative. Bikes don't really get outdated, do they?

They just become classic!

Captain Nemo
9th September 2012, 06:06 PM
Goughy, tell you what.
I've had a massive w/end on the punt.
If you can get me more than $200 for my Ultegra Groupset, I'll give you whatever you get over $100 towards your new Groupset......

goughy
9th September 2012, 06:23 PM
Hey titliest,

I have everything for my ultegra 10 speed except for a 12-27 cassette, chain and some new cables etc. But unfortunately I'm gonna be no help on the moving of your groupset. Everyone else I know is already running sram or da already.

goughy
9th September 2012, 06:25 PM
And I think the pc is currently in the lead. A mate who normally gets my upgrade stuff and built this pc in the first place is having a look at the link that I posted here from gizmodo and seeing what he can do suggest. But I'm also thinking of saving it and putting it towards a garmin 910xt since I dropped and broke the screen on my 310 and can't swim with it anymore.

TheNuclearOne
9th September 2012, 06:33 PM
Do some bigtime club hoing.

LarryLong
9th September 2012, 06:37 PM
Sell your home theatre stuff and buy a better bike.

Captain Nemo
9th September 2012, 06:44 PM
Hey titliest,

I have everything for my ultegra 10 speed except for a 12-27 cassette, chain and some new cables etc. But unfortunately I'm gonna be no help on the moving of your groupset. Everyone else I know is already running sram or da already.

No probs mate, just trying to help.....
Put the feelers out, you never know.

Toolish
9th September 2012, 09:46 PM
Surely if you keep an eye out on transitions a cheap cassette will come up, or a wiggle sale. Not sure what your budget is but if you are happy to go 105 gear is pretty cheap?

goughy
9th September 2012, 11:07 PM
I know where and what I breed to get. Its more a point of not wanting to spend the money.

Moe Norman
10th September 2012, 10:23 AM
Put it on the mortgage

+1

Marto65
10th September 2012, 10:34 AM
Do both ... and buy your wife some chocolates so she'll get over it quickly.